• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DragonBall Z: Battle of Z |OT| PLEASE, GIVE ME YOUR ENERGY!

Skyzard

Banned
Co-oping the missions is awesome. Ran into a very fun group yesterday and ended up playing for a few hours, did some battle mode too, battle royal with secret alliances is crazy fun.

Seems like there should be enough single player missions to last a decent while and I love the engine itself. Would be nice if they added cross-play though (for the long-term).

Dimorphic

I picked it up on the Vita today and have spent a few hours with it. The game is great for what it is, the actual fighting system isn't super deep but it doesn't need to be with how fast paced the action is.

The missions are fun so far but I am glad to hear they get more difficult the further in you go.

Cross play would be nice as well.

Rnr1224

hmm any other feedback on the Vita version?

suprisingly plays and looks great! love being able to take DBZ anywhere too.

i just S ranked all of the mainline missions and now have the other routes to do. even with
SSJG Goku
mission 56 is damn hard. kinda dreading the 57 after that with the
Goku family

Okay how much time does it take to beat the storyline? I plan on playing this on a hard level btw.

I ask about the time because I am about to get this game for 18 bucks(Amazon gift card and 3 bucks in my PSN wallet). How is the single player? Do they have the world tournament?

Jarate

Banned
Okay how much time does it take to beat the storyline? I plan on playing this on a hard level btw.

I ask about the time because I am about to get this game for 18 bucks(Amazon gift card and 3 bucks in my PSN wallet). How is the single player? Do they have the world tournament?

Levels are missions, the story line is pretty eh.

It took me around 12 hours to beat the entire game, and unlock all the characters.

It's a stage you can unlock, but it's not a game mode for the game like you'd see in other DBZ's

this is a team battle game, you'll be playing in groups with AI characters.

So is it worth 18 bucks or should I use that 10 buck amazon card to get this sick ass Shawn Michael WM Blu ray?

This is so dangerously close to being my perfect DBZ game. Would love to see a sequel introduce a hub or even segmented maps to traverse within stages. Loving the fights with endless energy beams coloring the sky while you pummel the crap out of some heel.

Alric

Question for anyone who has for the PS3. Can you co-op from the same PS3 and is it split-screen if so or not?

This is so dangerously close to being my perfect DBZ game. Would love to see a sequel introduce a hub or even segmented maps to traverse within stages. Loving the fights with endless energy beams coloring the sky while you pummel the crap out of some heel.
I hope we get a sequel!
This is much better than the past DVZ games we've been getting lately (Ultimate Tenkaichi and that Kinect game).

HeelPower

How good are the mechanics this time ? Are characters varied enough and not clones with different skins ?

EDIT : Got it, its not a fighting game...

Revven

Well, somewhat begrudgingly bought the game. Going to pop it in a little while and see how much I enjoy it. At the very least, if I wind up not playing it for as long as I thought I would I can always probably sell it used for like $40-$50 or something and recoup some of the money back.

I liked the demo so I'm hoping that I won't get bored of it too quickly and hopefully college won't bog me down from being able to play it.

Branson

The demo of this was very interesting. I didn't hate it. I'm glad they are using the Kai voices as I like them better. Is freeza using the Kai voice actor or the original dub actress?

So does anybody actually play this online for the Vita? I've been unable to find a match for like half an hour now. Or, rather I find one person and get stuck in a lobby like that.

Revven

So the game is fun but it really sucks that I sort of have to play a character I don't really want to. I'm doing Co-op stuff online (instead of playing the story by myself with the terrible AI partners) and I'm almost always the Support type (either Yamcha or Krillin) because my teammates (who are randoms) always pick a Melee type or something that isn't Support type. It's kind of boring to sit back and heal and play support the whole battle (though there are chances where I can get into combat -- but when I do the mission's almost over).

I feel like the game didn't tell players enough about how important a diverse team is versus a team full of Melee types. Or how important giving Ki is to other players and playing support in general. Everyone's kinda playing their favorite character (except me).

I'll keep trudging along though until I've beaten all the missions under Co-op though.

Rnr1224

So the game is fun but it really sucks that I sort of have to play a character I don't really want to. I'm doing Co-op stuff online (instead of playing the story by myself with the terrible AI partners) and I'm almost always the Support type (either Yamcha or Krillin) because my teammates (who are randoms) always pick a Melee type or something that isn't Support type. It's kind of boring to sit back and heal and play support the whole battle (though there are chances where I can get into combat -- but when I do the mission's almost over).

I feel like the game didn't tell players enough about how important a diverse team is versus a team full of Melee types. Or how important giving Ki is to other players and playing support in general. Everyone's kinda playing their favorite character (except me).

I'll keep trudging along though until I've beaten all the missions under Co-op though.

There are some support characters I like but this is one reason that I don't like the coop. I usually stick to the single player and play coop only occasionally.

Revven

There are some support characters I like but this is one reason that I don't like the coop. I usually stick to the single player and play coop only occasionally.

I hope it's something that'll change soon, it's still pretty early in the game's life. Otherwise, PvP will be where I'll be at all the time once I beat the missions once through and have everything that I can/need from the mission mode.

Jarate

Banned
Also, first thing that should be done in every online lobby is turning off cards

Its funny how much worse people get when they dont have that crutch. The game plays a lot better

Also, Legendary Super Saiyan Broly is ludicrously powerful. A simple combo of his does about half health to a shit ton of characters

If only they had Dodoria and Zarbon, it wouldn't have mattered how bad the game was, i would have copped it..but I would have a breakdown when i got to their point in the story and didn't see them..I'll never understand why they opted not to include the..maybe in the sequel..if this sells well.

Alchemy

Why? Isn't collecting cards and kitting yourself out part of the fun? Sounds like doing naked dungeon runs in an MMO without them. o_O

Yeah, Battle of Z strikes me more as an MMO style game running dungeons then it does as a fighting game where the cards might cause some weird balance problems.

Jarate

Banned
Why? Isn't collecting cards and kitting yourself out part of the fun? Sounds like doing naked dungeon runs in an MMO without them. o_O

Douchy modders who have way better cards then you can physically have at the moment. I literally have the best set up possible with cards and routinely see people with higher power levels with me

Turning off the cards make it so those douches don't have their little crutch anymore, I've already gotten rage mail from someone about this

Revven

Douchy modders who have way better cards then you can physically have at the moment. I literally have the best set up possible with cards and routinely see people with higher power levels with me

Turning off the cards make it so those douches don't have their little crutch anymore, I've already gotten rage mail from someone about this

And that number of save file modders will continue to grow if Bandai Namco/Artdink don't patch the game (which I'm expecting they won't patch it at all).

I don't understand why they didn't think of having any sort of checks for if you have like 15+ 100+ cards on a single character =\

Alchemy

Cell is kicking my ass, his AoE attack pretty much instant kills my entire party everytime he uses it. Keep failing from my party dying -.-

Also, I'm not sure how items really work. They're all one time use right? I bought Nimbus at one point but it vanished so now I'm afraid to buy anything but cards.

Cell is kicking my ass, his AoE attack pretty much instant kills my entire party everytime he uses it. Keep failing from my party dying -.-

Also, I'm not sure how items really work. They're all one time use right? I bought Nimbus at one point but it vanished so now I'm afraid to buy anything but cards.

Items are one time use. They use DC to purchase.

BTHR Zero X

its DP (Dragon Ball Points) They are used for some Items, as for Cards the only ones you can buy are with PP (Premium Points) and are harder to get then DP unless you grind MP where you can get around 15k in some levels if you max out the Energy Bar at the top and met at least 1 Special Bonus Condition.

Omni

the sword slash he does for his unique was so annoying

Yah. Though now that I'm up to it, at least he's not as bad as Cell. :lol

Sucks you can't 1v1 in this game. I can imagine some really epic fights on that Cell ring

ohNOitsRO

So it sucks that there's no news on the dlc coming to the vita for the US, when Japan/Europe had the preorder bonuses and had it show up a week after release on the Japanese psn store..

Omni

I can't beat Cell at all...
I'm using SSJ Goku, SSJ Trunks, SSJ Teen Gohan and Krillin.

I mean... I'm not the one who is dying constantly. It's my team mates. I got Perfect Cell down to like three pixels of health left and then Krillin dies and game over. Gaaah. I'll keep trying I guess

Skyzard

Banned

I mean... I'm not the one who is dying constantly. It's my team mates. I got Perfect Cell down to like three pixels of health left and then Krillin dies and game over. Gaaah. I'll keep trying I guess

I went online (co-op) for him and
Buu(sp?)
, so far. Some stages are pretty tough.

Rnr1224

Make sure your team is balanced for the types. Usually you want one ki, melee, and support and then adjust ur 4th position depending on the mission. You could play other missions to raise ur CPU partner rank and get better cards in the meantime.

Revven

I'd be curious to see the sales numbers on this game, especially the Vita version.

In Japan they sold a combined 50k week 1 iirc. I don't have the exact numbers on the top of my head.

Not sure how well previous DBZ titles debuted in Japan or whatever, though.

Can you switch to Japanese voices w/subtitles or are you forced to deal with the English dub voices?

Yes, you can switch to the Japanese dub and have English subtitles.

Rnr1224

So it sucks that there's no news on the dlc coming to the vita for the US, when Japan/Europe had the preorder bonuses and had it show up a week after release on the Japanese psn store..

IIRC bandai namco said they wont put the dlc characters online. Japan just got their dlc put on the store so it just sucks even more! i want to play as vegito!

Ohnonono

This game is pretty fun, if a bit simple so far. Just beat monkey Vegita. Sounds like it gets harder which is good!

Top Bottom