• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Fairfax
(01-29-2014, 04:48 PM)

That's it, folks. Neo-PC Gaming is coming.
TomShoe
(01-29-2014, 04:50 PM)
Time to break out the Dualshock 4.

I'm sorry, but that thing just feels so right.
Ein Bear
(01-29-2014, 04:50 PM)
Isn't that fairly standard for using a pad?
Nabs
(01-29-2014, 04:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Ein Bear

Isn't that fairly standard for using a pad?

Not on PC. It can completely break the experience. Crysis 2 launched with auto-aim and it was like playing with hacks.
Silky
Banned
(01-29-2014, 04:51 PM)
Sounds about right. I'm sticking with KB/M tho. Unless Traversal is /really/ key in this game. idk
Opiate
Depressingly Realistic
(01-29-2014, 04:52 PM)
Will they be able to play against KB/M users by default? Or will they have their own segregated servers, which are separate but equal?
Shambles
Still won't do much but if it makes the game more entertaining than it's a step in the right direction.
tbm24
Will be modded out in the first hour of the game being live. Don't need none of that nonsense.
mullet2000
Not sure how this is a bad thing really. Otherwise kb/m users would have an advantage over the vast majority of controller guys.

Hell, they still will.
TheUsual

Originally Posted by Opiate

Will they be able to play against KB/M users by default? Or will they have their own segregated servers, which are separate but equal?

Maybe it will be a filter that can be applied when searching for servers.
The Incredible Muffin
(01-29-2014, 04:54 PM)
Someone beat you to this article...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...1#post98844229
Ace 8095
(01-29-2014, 04:55 PM)
Good. I want to play on my couch and still be competitive.
Felix Lighter
I really don't have confidence in any developer to actually find a magical balance for aim assist for gamepads vs keyboard and mouse. I can only hope that they err on the side of caution.
Winterblink

Originally Posted by TheUsual

Maybe it will be a filter that can be applied when searching for servers.

What if I switch control schemes mid-game? Do i get kicked off the server or something?
Mr. Poolman
(01-29-2014, 04:56 PM)
Let's reward the inferior input scheme.

Yay!
Kurdel
Awesome!

I like to think like Valve that if a controller player can hang with the KB/M without having any outstanding advantages, why not?

I mean, if the auto-aim is broken to the point where controller people have an advantage, it would hopefully be corrected before release. I am sure that data can be analysed and they made the right calibration of auto-aim.

Originally Posted by Mr. Poolman

Let's reward the inferior input scheme.

Yay!

Subjective tastes are subjective.
Last edited by Kurdel; 01-29-2014 at 04:58 PM.
SwiftDeath
Like others I'm curious if they will allow you to filter servers based on controller auto-aim

I have faith Respawn will balance it accordingly or at least give gamers the option
Enkidu

Originally Posted by mullet2000

Not sure how this is a bad thing really. Otherwise kb/m users would have an advantage over the vast majority of controller guys.

Hell, they still will.

If you bring a gamepad to a keyboard and mouse fight you kind of deserve what you get though. The big problem would be if somebody figures out how to enable the aim assist when not using a gamepad.
TheUsual
(01-29-2014, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Winterblink

What if I switch control schemes mid-game? Do i get kicked off the server or something?

That's a good question. Definitely a scenario I never thought of? Maybe the game won't allow you to switch mid gameplay? As in, the change will take affect after the match. Who knows.
FlyinJ
Douchebag. Yes, me.
(01-29-2014, 04:57 PM)
If they have segregated servers, I'm so in.

If it's aim-assist controller vs KB/M, KB/M will still absolutely dominate.

I really hope for segregated servers. If that's the case, I will never play this game hunched over my computer clawing at my mouse like Gollum.

Comfy couch all the way.
BloodMoney
(01-29-2014, 05:04 PM)

good way to ruin the PC version....................................
Last edited by BloodMoney; 01-29-2014 at 05:06 PM.
The Cowboy
(01-29-2014, 05:04 PM)
I freely admit I'll be playing it on PC with my 360 pad (as I'm a living room PC gamer), but I really hope there is an option to force this off server side - so server owners can force all players to have no aim assist at all (regardless of input).
BigTnaples
(01-29-2014, 05:06 PM)
Hot damn.

If the Xbox One version ends up being 720p, and the PC beta performs well on my PC (Which it should considering it dwarfs the XBO in power), then the PC version is a no brainer at this point.

1080p+, full AA, AF, Controller support, and (potentially) better assets and or effects.

That said, I am wanting a reason to boot up my Xbox One other than to watch TV on.

bleh.
nynt9
(01-29-2014, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Kurdel

Awesome!

I like to think like Valve that if a controller player can hang with the KB/M without having any outstanding advantages, why not?

I mean, if the auto-aim is broken to the point where controller people have an advantage, it would hopefully be corrected before release. I am sure that data can be analysed and they made the right calibration of auto-aim.

Subjective tastes are subjective.

Actually, you can prove objectively that gamepads are worse for pointing tasks (aka aiming) using many mathematical measures, one such measure being Fitts's Law.

Edit: In fact here's an article with scientific experiments that shows the mouse is best suited to suck tasks: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...40137808931762
Last edited by nynt9; 01-29-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Alienous
(01-29-2014, 05:08 PM)
To give them a fighting chance? Sure.

It won't help.

That said I am dreading using the keyboard for movement. I wouldn't even consider it for Mirror's Edge.
Omega Rex
(01-29-2014, 05:09 PM)
the thread OP linked to is exactly what I thought of when I read the title.
SolidSnakeUS
(01-29-2014, 05:10 PM)
I'm thinking more that if people realize that it will have controller aim assist on the PC version, it may get people to stay with/go to the PC version instead of the console versions... dunno, just a thought.
Nabs
(01-29-2014, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by The Cowboy

I freely admit I'll be playing it on PC with my 360 pad (as I'm a living room PC gamer), but I really hope there is an option to force this off server side - so server owners can force all players to have no aim assist at all (regardless of input).

Server...owners? There won't be any community servers.
Mesoian
(01-29-2014, 05:11 PM)
This isn't surprising and as long as there's a tickbox that hosts can set to allow KB/M only, Controller only, or mixed, everything will be fine.

People need to calm down about this.

Originally Posted by nynt9

Actually, you can prove objectively that gamepads are worse for pointing tasks (aka aiming) using many mathematical measures, one such measure being Fitts's Law.

Edit: In fact here's an article with scientific experiments that shows the mouse is best suited to suck tasks: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...40137808931762

This is actually pretty cool and furthers my bafflement into why no one has even attempted to come up with a comfortable, small form, mouse based control solution. Something like a bluetooth mouse with 7 buttons and a Nunchuck with 3.
Last edited by Mesoian; 01-29-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Winterblink

Originally Posted by TheUsual

That's a good question. Definitely a scenario I never thought of? Maybe the game won't allow you to switch mid gameplay? As in, the change will take affect after the match. Who knows.

Or, what if I prefer to use a controller when in a Titan, but mkb on foot? Not that it makes much sense, but still something to ponder.
RulkezX

Originally Posted by BigTnaples

Hot damn.

If the Xbox One version ends up being 720p, and the PC beta performs well on my PC (Which it should considering it dwarfs the XBO in power), then the PC version is a no brainer at this point.

1080p+, full AA, AF, Controller support, and (potentially) better assets and or effects.

That said, I am wanting a reason to boot up my Xbox One other than to watch TV on.

bleh.

Pretty much everything I am thinking.

OT - Would controller only lobbies even work on PC ? Seems like something that would be incredibly easy to spoof.
SolidSnakeUS
(01-29-2014, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by BigTnaples

Hot damn.

bleh.

Exactly this. Seriously, since it runs a modified Source Engine, most PCs should be able to run the game regardless. Tack on the controlled aim assist can really seal the deal and in turn means that a person doesn't have to spend $500 extra for a console when you can play it just the same on your PC.
Mesoian
(01-29-2014, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by RulkezX

Pretty much everything I am thinking.

OT - Would controller only lobbies even work on PC ? Seems like something that would be incredibly easy to spoof.

If you're spoofing that kind of thing, you won't be able to compete regardless.
Last edited by Mesoian; 01-29-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Amir0x
demodded, not denutted
(01-29-2014, 05:14 PM)
Expected. KB&M is how I'll try it out anyway, so it won't impact me in the off chance I do enjoy the game
Omega Rex
(01-29-2014, 05:14 PM)
the thread OP linked to is exactly what I thought of when I read the title.
mullet2000
(01-29-2014, 05:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Enkidu

If you bring a gamepad to a keyboard and mouse fight you kind of deserve what you get though. The big problem would be if somebody figures out how to enable the aim assist when not using a gamepad.

Hmmm. Dunno about that. I think the aim assist would fuck up a kb/m user's aim more than it would help. Hell, I even turn it off on controllers because it fucks me up on that.
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(01-29-2014, 05:16 PM)
They need to have separate servers, then.

Crytek tried this with Crysis 2 and quickly patched it out due to community feedback.
Cizeta-Moroder
(01-29-2014, 05:17 PM)

Originally Posted by The Cowboy

Yep, just separate autoaim servers from free aim servers. Input method shouldn't be the distincting factor.
GavinUK86
(01-29-2014, 05:18 PM)
i was contemplating getting it for pc but if it does have proper controller support then now it's a no brainer. some days i feel like using a k/m and some days i would prefer using a controller. wonder how any kind of aiming assist will affect the balanced gameplay. sure, aiming with a mouse is far quicker but if someone has the ability to snap to a target it's a whole different issue.
Alienous
(01-29-2014, 05:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Mesoian

This isn't surprising and as long as there's a tickbox that hosts can set to allow KB/M only, Controller only, or mixed, everything will be fine.

People need to calm down about this.

jimcarreywhoyatalkingto.gif

We are surprisingly calm.
kewlmyc
(01-29-2014, 05:19 PM)
Good for those who are used to controllers. Probably won't help as much as they think though.
vocab
(01-29-2014, 05:20 PM)
The fuck? That's awful.
Liamario
Rightly so. It still won't close that gap between mouse and analogue stick, but it will certainly help.
RulkezX

Originally Posted by Mesoian

If you're spoofing that kind of thing, you won't be able to compete regardless.

Maybe spoofing was the wrong term, what I meant was a hack to fool the game into thinking you were using a pad while using a Kb/M would seem like a relatively simple thing to do.
FACE
I'M STILL CASTILLE

Originally Posted by sirfairfax

Demon Ice
Banned
Won't matter, KB/M will still utterly dominate controllers as far as aiming as concerned. The upper limit of turning speed using a controller will be hugely limiting.
GavinGT
(01-29-2014, 05:23 PM)
I bet there's some way to emulate a controller while still using keyboard and mouse.
Mesoian
(01-29-2014, 05:25 PM)

Originally Posted by RulkezX

Maybe spoofing was the wrong term, what I meant was a hack to fool the game into thinking you were using a pad while using a Kb/M would seem like a relatively simple thing to do.

No, I gotcha.

If you're doing that, you can't compete, and you'll still get beat by people of a higher skill level.

It's not like using KB/M in a room full of pad users who are absolutely vicious is going to make you automatically shoot you to the top of the rankings. If you're doing that shit, you are still going to get beat a LOT if people using your own control scheme in randoms are giving you trouble. I liken it to fighting games. Sure, between two people of high level, the one using the stick might have an advantage over the one using a pad. But for real, if an average joe goes up against Fanatic, they're going to lose regardless of controller choice, even if they have input assists on.
diggmcbadass
(01-29-2014, 05:25 PM)
Yeah, if you can have aim assist with a controller, someone not even very creative will make sure kbm users have it too.
CryptiK
Banned
(01-29-2014, 05:26 PM)
In before someone emulates the controller via mouse and keyboard and we all have aim assist. These game details keep getting better and better >.>