• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Tizoc

eJaofrz.png

Thanks to zeopower for the banner!

Platform: PS Vita
Release date: 11/14 February 2014
Genre: Action
Players: Single player
Multiplayer: Online mode is available to allow for 4 player co-op to finish various missions
Official Website

Story
An age of peace comes to a terrifying end when a gateway from the Otherworld, home of the Oni, results in hordes of Oni flooding into the human world. This became known as the Awakening.
It is the mission of the Slayers to slay the Oni and bring peace once again to the world.

Introduction:
Toukiden is an action game from KOEI Tecmo creators of the Musou series. Players create a character (Slayer) and travel through battle fields similar to ones in Musou games, completing missions. These missions can either be defeating a set number of Onis, or clearing a field from Onis, etc. Along the way they can collect items which they can then use to craft equipment to strengthen their character.
Players can also play some of the game’s missions with up to 3 other players via online.
Note that the demo of the game doesn't feature some of the elements and features that the full game has such as increased limit to stored items and multiple save slots.

Game play features
Character creation:
Can choose between a male or female character and customize their hair and facial appearance. You can change the hair color of your character within the game at any time by visiting your room.

Purification:
Upon killing various Onis, players can purify them (Hold R) to get items from them which they can then be used in crafting equipment.
When battling stronger or larger Onis, players can cause some of their limbs or body parts to fall off, if purified they will weaken the Oni allowing for it to be defeated much faster. However should a body part regenerate, the battle will be prolonged.

Mitama:
Mitama are the souls of notable heroes from Japanese history, they can be ‘equipped’ to your weapon to gain extra (passive) abilities such as increased attack power or faster health regeneration. Various Mitama can be acquired from slaying stronger Onis, and various weapons can be equipped with more than 1 Mitama.
Mitamas also offer additional abilities (Boosts) during gameplay by holding R when stationary and choosing which ‘buff’ to have active such as increased attack power or the ability to ‘leech’ health from attacking enemies.
The game states there to be more than 200 Mitama to collect, allowing the player to customize their abilities set to their preference.
When on battle fields, you can recover the number of Boosts you can use by ‘praying’ at certain glowing stones.
For more details on Mitamas, refer to the Official Website’s Mitama section

Click the link below for a list of where to find certain Mitama, but be warned that it may contain some mild spoilers, so better to check this spreadsheet if you just want to clean up on any missing Mitamas
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dG9jMi1sODBvX2dnalotMk9MTHc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Health and stamina:
At the top of the screen players will see their health and stamina bars. Both can be extended and increased using items and mitama. Upon taking damage players can recover some health from the damage taken over a short period of time.
Stamina is consumed when attack, dodging or running, and recovers when not performing any action, but can be recovered quickly by holding R1 while stationary.

Movement: Press the X button to perform a rolling dodge, while holding R then moving will make your character run. Both of these consume stamina.
Take note that you can cancel an attack into a dodge roll, but it won’t actually occur until the attack animation ends, this is the case in the demo at least, but it’s not a major issue once you’ve gotten used to it.

Relationships:
In the full game speaking with various NPCs and allies and completing missions with or for them will increase your relationship with them.

Weapons
The game offers players a choice of 6 weapons which they can purchase and equip at anytime during their play and each with their own unique properties and moves. Any attacks or actions using a weapon will consume stamina.
Next to the health bar is a circle that fills up as you attack, once full, you can press Triangle+O to unleash a powerful attack that deals big damage on enemies.

The game has a tutorial mode which can showcase the various moves each weapon can do. Here's a basic rundown of them for now:
  • Long sword: Standard weapon with versatile attack combinations. By pressing the circle button and attacking an enemy or enemies they will become surrounded by an aura. Pressing the circle button will have you sheath the sword and inflict damage on enemies based on the color of the aura they had before sheathing.
  • Bow: A long range weapon with various attack options, and the player can move while using the bow to attack by holding the R button. Pressing Square will you have fire a single arrow, you can also hold the button to charge it up.
    The Triangle attack has 3 levels, gained by pressing the button twice or thrice. Pressing it twice will have five arrows fired horizontally in front of you, while the 3rd level will have the arrow you fire ‘explode’ and spread damage over the area surrounding the targeted enemy.
    The O attack will allow you to target enemies and fire homing arrows at them, but this attack consumes the most stamina.
  • Gauntlets: Close range weapon, and boasting the strongest attack stat in the game. The Triangle button can be charged to inflict fire damage on the enemy which does damage over time, in addition holding Square+X will make you enter a block animation lessening the damage you would take from an enemy's attack.
    The biggest negative to this weapon is that its attacks are slow making getting used to this weapon to take a while.
  • Chain and Sickle: Pressing Square will attack with the chain which has a good long range, while Triangle will attack with the sickle. The chain attack has the longest range of the melee weapons.
  • Daggers: Another short range weapon but unlike the gauntlets is faster. Pressing the Triangle button will launch you into the air and you can continue attacking your enemies.
    You can remain airborne damaging opponents with your attacks by pressing Triangle while in the air. You can continue an airborne assault for as long as you have Stamina to perform attacks or actions with.
    Note that the Daggers are the weakest weapons in the game.
  • Spear: The Spear is considered one of the best weapons in the game, due in part to its ‘Brace’ ability.
    Attack-wise it boasts good stats being among the stronger weapons in the game, Square will do a straight stabbing attack, while Triangle is a horizontal sweeping attack. Each button can be pressed 3 times for a short combo.
    The O attack will have you aim your spear to throw at your enemy for big damage.
    Brace is done by holding Square+X, doing so will have your character crouch with their spear held in front of them, any enemy rushing towards you will take damage, making it effective against enemies who have a ramming attack such as the Manhunter.

More detailed Toukiden weapon info can be found at the KOEI wikia, as posted, the above is just meant to give a basic idea of the weapons.

Transferring your save data from the demo
Keep the demo installed on your Vita and you'll be able to continue your progress in the main game so long as both the demo and main game are the same region.

Media
Weapon exhibition video
Anime promo trailer
Toukiden opening

Reviews
Omnigamer review: http://www.omnigamer.com/toukiden-age-demons-review-monster-jam/
Gamekult review: http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-toukiden-the-age-of-demons-SU3050067097t.html#psv
PSU.com review: http://www.psu.com/a022453/Toukiden--The-Age-of-Demons-Review--Monster-Hunter-meets-Dynasty-Warriors
savecontinue.com review: http://www.savecontinue.com/2014/02/review-toukiden-the-age-of-demons/
hardcoregamer.com review: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/02/10/review-toukiden-the-age-of-demons/73588/
thesixthaxis review: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/02/10/toukiden-review-ps-vita/

Online IDs
Feel free to add these members to your friendlist if you wish to play Toukiden with them, but for clarification purposes, state in your friend request that you are from NeoGAF along with your GAF username.

SoopaMan2K
PSN: SoopaMan2K

dan2026
PSN : do_you_even_pose

krossj
PSN: kjross

Reknoc
PSN: Reknoc

JimPanzer
PSN: Deep_Chord

umbra
PSN: Raze_Panumbra

Manaco0r
PSN: Manac0r33

Baron Von Beans
PSN: BaronVonBeans

Arkaerial
PSN - themlasu

jtrov
PSN: JTROV

Tizoc
PSN: Todoh789

The Last Wizard
Psn: nighthawk17

Kaji
psn: Kaji_AU

Ridley237
PSN ID: RidleyFGJ

Shengar
ID: thongorthegreat

ScriptedReality
PSN: Blestsoul

Machinehead
PSN: Razienn

LMN
PSN: LMNXZ

alexien
psn:Alexein88

swnny
PSN: swnnyh

Out_of_ammo
PSN: tjokeboke

Crovax PSO
PSN: Crovax44

killatopok
PSN: killatopak312

maouvin
PSN: maouvin

Scher
PSN: Scherii

Petit Melon
PSN: petitfraulein

Lyte Edge
PSN: lyteedge2

darkjedi187
Psn: darkjedi187

Swarna
PSN: SwarnaD

Doom Bear
PSN: Graelinn

-Digits-
PSN: twaalf

Zunja
PSN: Zunja

Abdiel
PSN: Darcion

LaughingBanana
psn: LaughingBanana

Aspirations26
PSN: Aspirations26

Night Angel
PSN: XxTheReaperxX

stfupperfcut
PSN: impact1g

sturgboski
PSN - STURGBOSKI

ramyeon
PSN ID: ramyeon1989

Baliis
PSN:Baliis

Glittering Crux
PSN: GlitterBishounen

AmythestEnd
PSN: AmethystEnd

Nags
PSN: Yourfacedotcom

DiscoJason
PSN: TheGrue

Poetaster
PSN ID: poetaster

Omegabalmung9
PSN: Omegabalmung

opie211
PSN:Opie211

YoungOne
psn: hypeman123

In closing
AgjUeOF.png

RalchAC

Nice, subscribed to the OT. I can't wait for February 14th to come. I still have to preorder mine in Amazon.es, but I'm there day one, that's sure!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm...I don't think the original quote had an asterisk.

Very interested in this game, but I'm going through my backlog at the moment, so I'll probably pick this up sometime later.

Tizoc

Hmm...I don't think the original quote had an asterisk.

Very interested in this game, but I'm going through my backlog at the moment, so I'll probably pick this up sometime later.

You can't have curse words like the 'f' word on subtitles last I checked.

SmokyDave

I'm not sure on this one yet. That said, I've only played the demo once, and very briefly, I'll put more time in before release.

The character models look gorgeous though. Take a bow Tecmo Koei.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The demo didn't instantly hook me like Soul Sacrifice, but I have high hopes. In dire need of a new co-op game over here.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is the demo the first part of the actual retail game, or is it a "side story" where you get bonuses in the retail game like Bravely Default?

DC1

Start farming them Mitama (in them demo) There like human Pokemon.. Gotta Catch Em All.

DC1

Is the demo the first part of the actual retail game, or is it a "side story" where you get bonuses in the retail game like Bravely Default?
Retail.
The demo covers Chapter 1 through (about) half way through Chapter 2.

LtOrange

I have been thinking about picking up a Vita for awhile now and I think this is game that pushes me over the edge.

Atolm

I have this and Danganronpa pre-ordered from Zavvi, I guess they'll arrive by month's end, but such is the life of cheap-arse Euro Gaf.

Ephidel

Must know this as well. Planned on just buying it digitally on the 11th, but if I gotta wait till the 14th for digital then screw that I want it ASAP lol.
I'd assume it's for Europe as the 14th is the game's release date here (whereas the store updates on Wednesdays which would be the 19th, the date it says the digital release is changing from).

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I'll be getting this eventually, if not on release then pretty soon. Really digging the demo. Much more appealing to me than Soul Sacrifice so far.

Tizoc

I personally didn't see a reason to, since the game's tutorial teaches just that, and even if one watches they're going to play the game and test the weapons for themslves =X

Gbraga

Shit, forgot this is coming out as well.

God have mercy of my wallet with this, Danganronpa and Lords of Shadow 2.

Long wait till March for me. If I back up my demo save to the cloud, it should be ok to delete the demo and reinstall it when I get the retail game, yeah?

Can't wait to kill some oni get down with my fuckable husbando.

Might wanna add the pre-order bonuses to the OT - I'm not sure about other regions but these are confirmed for the NA retail:

Amazon: x2 exclusive pieces of armor - Cat Ears and a Tenko (Fox) Mask – along with the “Mitama of Momotaro”.

Gamestop: x2 Additional Mission Sets (6 new missions total) and the "Mitama of Niijima Yae".

Looks like the Amazon pre-order is the way to go as those pieces of armor are exclusive to the pre-order and are not available in the game, whereas the Gamestop mission sets are available in the game (just not unlocked right away). So far as I know both of the mitamas are also obtainable in the game.

RMI

Banned
Brilliant OP title. Still haven't tried the demo, but will rectify this right away. More vita games can only be a good thing.

maouvin

US don't get digital preorder bonus? Hmm....

Well, US doesn't have digital pre-orders. Sometimes people who buy the game on the first week get some bonuses. Hope it's the case.

I'd assume it's for Europe as the 14th is the game's release date here (whereas the store updates on Wednesdays which would be the 19th, the date it says the digital release is changing from).

This. EU would get retail on 14th and digital on 19th. Now it's both on 14th.

Top Bottom