• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom for Wii U (Big Red Button, CryEngine 3) & 3DS (Sanzaru), new subseries

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

Bf0PNvrCIAAb6xM.png

Huh. Almost interesting bit of fodder for the Hero of Legend-ish crowd.

The video. It's at the beginning : http://youtu.be/MrvzClrJmDI

NotLiquid

So I've been letting the trailer sink in and just some thoughts.

I'd be lying if I said I actually hoped this to be the next step for Sonic, and between this and Lost World it seems like a huge downgrade in potential even if you include Generations into the mix. The character models also feel ugly as all hell, even if I don't mind the actual render designs they've shown (as long as they ditch all the bandages). The Skrilly also fucking ruins everything.

But the more I think about it the more I can't say I think it's all too bad. It's got some good elements to it; the environments seem gorgeous and pretty sprawling. In terms of environments this is basically my dream Sonic game; looks big and fun to explore, and they look really Ratchet inspired which feels like a good setting. Also, the developer being old Naughty Dog devs seems promising, even if that might amount to little.

Game play is hard to judge since there's so much going on but it seems passable. Hard to say how the Sonic elements are like but the alternate playstyles look decent, nothing offensive like in the previous games. It not being developed by Sonic Team might yield some good results.

This is far from the game I hoped to see and the circumstances strike me as cynical. But despite this I'm kind of cautiously optimistic.

sonto340

Controls/gameplay in all those games is bad. The Generations team weren't even able to approximate the Classic Sonic physics. Platforming sucks in all of them. Exploration is minimal. One of them has a werehog in it.

It would take a game on par with the classics to break the cycle. Less bad than Sonic Adventure won't get the job done unfortunately.

And a red piece of paper is not green.

Unleashed was the best Sonic has ever been, and I grew up with Sonic 1,2, and 3, b

Nezzhil

Some people didn't want a new Crash Bandicoot by Naughty Dog or ex-Naughty Dog members? Well, here it is, with the same graphics too. Yay!

VanWinkle

It looks so bad graphically. They really shouldn't have gone with CryEngine 3 for this. Obviously the Wii U can't handle it and/or the developer isn't capable of porting the engine over properly. Lost World looked way better.

klausbert

Wow, even the Crash Bandicoot redesign didn't look as stupid as this. I really hope it doesn't stick. Now that i look closer at it, it kinda looks like they wanted to appease the creepy fanboys by making Sonic look like fanart.

StevieP

Banned
It looks so bad graphically. They really shouldn't have gone with CryEngine 3 for this. Obviously the Wii U can't handle it and/or the developer isn't capable of porting the engine over properly. Lost World looked way better.

CE3 runs fine on the Wii U. The art direction is the culprit.

Zerojul

Definitely not sold on the new "chara design", nor on what was shown of the game but I believe it's still in its early phases so who knows... At least graphics look nice.
I kind of hoped for a Guile solo spinoff :)

VanWinkle

CE3 runs fine on the Wii U. The art direction is the culprit.

What other Wii U games run CE3? And it's not just the art direction. There's a tremendous lack of texture detail (despite going for a quasi-realistic look), geometry, and quality shaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom