• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall: 15 maps at launch (?), perk lists, game modes, Map Photos, ahoy!

I mean I understand for some people that might be too hectic. But the good thing about options is that you serve all needs, not just those who might find this current set up "just right." Without the option, you only serve the group who believes it's good enough currently. The alternative is serving all groups.

I used to play RTCW maps with 64 players, and you'd spend hours just trying to gain even a single room of the map. Many people hated that many players, and the game clearly wasn't designed for it. And yet I loved it, and so did those playing it. I don't care how hectic something is, as long as my skills can be provided an ample outlet to massacre shit :)

I don't mind it being hectic. I was one of those players in Killzone 2 playing 32 player matches and I loved every second of it. I just honestly do not believe the maps have enough room for 10 or more Titans running around, which would become fairly common if it was 16 players.

Honestly, I'd like to see it just once just to see how it would be, but I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to move around with that many Titans. I'd have to imagine the frame rate would take a hit as well.

Arkage

Banned
Even if that full on SP campaign is garbage? How are the SP campaigns in COD Ghosts and BF4?

BF4 got pretty good SP reviews. COD Ghosts had shitty SP as far as I've heard.. You can pick and choose SP gems and turds out of either of those series, but all that proves is that people still give a shit about the SP aspect of the game.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I got the 'TDM' labelled audio to play. It does appear to the be the deathmatch for pilots only.
The audio clips featured new characters. I don't believe I heard these voices before.

After jumping out of drop ship, a voice with an American accent said:
'This is a strike mission. Take all enemy pilots out'.

edit - This audio below may already be in the beta game modes:
In the jump ship, a voice with an English accent said:
'Cut the chatter, initializing drop sequence'

Amir0x

Banned
From what I understand this game won't have micro transactions but will have dlc, can someone explain the difference?

Microtransactions:

Spend $0.99 for two days EXP bonus!
Spend $1.99 for a special Pilot armor!

DLC:

Spend $14.99 for 3 Maps, 4 new weapons and a brand new Titan!
Spend $9.99 for a whole new campaign level as well as a new pilot type!

Woo-Fu

Banned
You can relax because the grunts and spectres are idiots. Half the time they'll stand at a hardpoint shooting each other AND MISSING at point blank range. I like the concept a lot, but they really need to make them a threat instead of just a free source of points who look enough like pilots to occasionally confuse you.

If you relax in sight range of grunts it means you're on the minimap of the enemy team. Prepare to get your neck snapped sometime in the next 30s.

I got the 'TDM' labelled audio to play. It does appear to the be the deathmatch for pilots only.
Seems to feature other characters as I don't believe I heard these voices before.

After jumping out of drop ship an american accent said:

In the jump ship, a British accent said:

That would be awesome. I prefer how it is now, but it would be great for those who just like the Pilot vs. Pilot game play. It would also be the ideal place to remove the bots and up the player count.

Nokterian

Yeah I hope they do. I bet on PC we shall see custom games within 6months.

Why do people say this? Any proof saying the majority of players don't touch SP?

I never touched the SP in BF3 or 4. Didn't care about it at all..it's about the MP and yes i paid bot for them around 110 euro's. Last good SP in CoD was MW1 a long with Black Ops 1/2. Just like Unreal Tournament there was no single player and i paid also at that time in our old currency 100 gilders that's around 50 euro's more or less. Hell i even did that with Quake 3 Arena. All MP games and had tons of fun and hours upon hours when i played it. It doesn't matter if there is no SP it's the value what you can get out of it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
and despite GAF complaints, it was the most popular BF3 map.

It wasn't the most popular because it was fun, it was the most popular because it was trivial to grind unlocks on. In either case, it isn't an example of "leading with your best", which was my point. Even then I'd say the new version of Karkand was more popular once it was available.

Raide

The audio clips featured new characters. I don't believe I heard these voices before.

After jumping out of drop ship, a voice with an American accent said:

In the jump ship, a voice with an English accent said:

Interesting news.

"The Cut The Chatter!" is in there.

BraXzy

In regards to bot complaints.. Let the designers make the most fun package they can and leave it be. They will have probably tried 12 v 12 and higher, they probably realized it was too hectic and over the top, and then lowered it but fleshed the levels out with simple AI.

Lingitiz

BF4 got pretty good SP reviews. COD Ghosts had shitty SP as far as I've heard.. You can pick and choose SP gems and turds out of either of those series, but all that proves is that people still give a shit about the SP aspect of the game.

Good SP reviews? I don't know what you were reading but people reacted pretty negatively to BF4's SP as expected.

The whole SP argument is really weird, especially since the full game isn't out yet. The game is designed differently when MP is the sole focus. Imagine if they were to make an SP+MP game. Would the MP exist in the current state it is now?

It's pretty clear to me that they found a really fun formula with the MP because they designed it with that specifically in mind. Some developers design an SP and then force the mechanics into an MP mode or vice versa (Battlefield).

Amir0x

Banned
In regards to bot complaints.. Let the designers make the most fun package they can and leave it be. They will have probably tried 12 v 12 and higher, they probably realized it was too hectic and over the top, and then lowered it but fleshed the levels out with simple AI.

they said it was too hectic. But that's just the opinion of the select group who had played it at the time as well as maybe their testers. Just give people the option to go to 8v8 in a separate mode list, what's the harm? Maybe some people love crazy hectic shit.

Ah well, pointless to discuss since it won't happen :p

BradC00

value? if i've put 20 hours into just two maps, i'm pretty sure 14 is going to justify the $60 price. i'm still finding new ways to get around the map. this game makes me weak in the knees.

GavinGT

Banned
value? if i've put 20 hours into just two maps, i'm pretty sure 14 is going to justify the $60 price. i'm still finding new ways to get around the map. this game makes me weak in the knees.

For real. I'm at 25 hours on these two maps and I feel like I could keep playing them forever.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Attrition you get points for killing enemies in a TDM mode. I read the TDM update in the OP and nothing mentions no Titans it just says "eliminate all pilots" that can still include Titans.

When you start Attrition it says:
'This is a battle of attrition, eliminate all enemy forces'

Whilst the 'TDM' one said 'pilots'.

edit - Actually this doesn't disprove what you said. Perhaps it just means no AI.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Good number of maps. I really like the game. Will probably pick it up when there is a deal on it.

BTM

For real. I'm at 25 hours on these two maps and I feel like I could keep playing them forever.

Definitely agree with you guys. I can't believe that I can just keep playing the same two maps over and over again. Each game is better and more fun than the last.

CryptiK

edit - Actually this doesn't disprove what you said. Perhaps it means no AI.
Indeed I'd say no AI. Which is still pretty shit because we already have a TDM mode. They could have come up with something more unique.

Jrs3000

Just with the existing modes on those 2 maps make it entirely different. LTS running around ducking buildings fighting other titans feels so different than doing hard point on that same map.

Raide

edit - Actually this doesn't disprove what you said. Perhaps it just means no AI.

Yeah, without A.I would make sense, else people could grind them and hit the cap easily.

Victrix

*beard*
My biggest disappointment on that mode list is no headquarters style moving objective point mode.

Anything to get combat to focus on all the cool unused areas of the levels would be great. That's been a historic problem with dom style gameplay, and tdm also tends to focus on areas of greatest flow (with the odd corner camper or sniper out on the fringes).

ShogunX

16 maps is pretty good considering I like to learn as much about a map as possible. The two from the beta already have multiple routes, flanking opportunities and choke points so as long as the other maps are of a similar quality I'm pretty happy.

As for the price/value argument it obviously doesn't apply to everybody but I honestly cant remember the last time I enjoyed or fully played through a COD or BF campaign. It was probably COD4.

Mastamind

There's at least 2 more weapons that i found as burn cards.

Amped Mag Laucher: Replace anti-titan weapon with a high-capacity, automatic mag launcher. (Flavortext: "Just because they call it the titan wars doesn't mean we always had titans. Sometimes you had to improvise.")

Amped LMG: Replace primary weapon with a rapid fire Spitfire LMG (Flavortext: "I approve these changes")

BradC00

My biggest disappointment on that mode list is no headquarters style moving objective point mode.

Anything to get combat to focus on all the cool unused areas of the levels would be great. That's been a historic problem with dom style gameplay, and tdm also tends to focus on areas of greatest flow (with the odd corner camper or sniper out on the fringes).

hardpoint capture sounds like that to me.

Deadbeat

Banned
I used to play RTCW maps with 64 players, and you'd spend hours just trying to gain even a single room of the map. Many people hated that many players, and the game clearly wasn't designed for it. And yet I loved it, and so did those playing it. I don't care how hectic something is, as long as my skills can be provided an ample outlet to massacre shit :)
People dont understand what they never had. Thats why devs can now lock down games where theres less control and freedom for the consumer.
Amped Mag Laucher: Replace anti-titan weapon with a high-capacity, automatic mag launcher. (Flavortext: "Just because they call it the titan wars doesn't mean we always had titans. Sometimes you had to improvise.")

Amped LMG: Replace primary weapon with a rapid fire Spitfire LMG (Flavortext: "I approve these changes")
I didnt like the mag launcher. The LMG is good for rodeoing titans.

The bots are a terrible addition, no matter how you slice it.

Amir0x

Banned
People dont understand what they never had. Thats why devs can now lock down games where theres less control and freedom for the consumer.

I didnt like the mag launcher. The LMG is good for rodeoing titans.

I guess. Maybe the new new revival will be devs who are bold enough to mine the old days and just go straight old school with the FPS formula :p

shandy706

im not arguing which is the better game, only price/ content. at 60 dollars, other games offer better value. they could choose to add more value to be competitive, or charge more for map packs. which is lame.

People pay $30-$40 for extended demos.

They just need to deliver quality. Seems most already enjoy the tiny Beta sample.

hawk2025

I would have bought this before playing it and seeing the game for myself.

After seeing how badly it runs even at 792p with 12 players, I'm starting to wonder.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The bots are a terrible addition, no matter how you slice it.

Bots are great for farming in order to drop your titan and then go Titan hunting. More fun than the normal COD gameplay. Increasing the number of players that can blindside kill is not always such a great thing.

Is Boneyard the first thing we ever saw from Titanfall? Remember waaaay back in 2010-11 or whatever when Respawn showed their first image?

Bots are great for farming in order to drop your titan and then go Titan hunting. More fun than the normal COD gameplay. Increasing the number of players that can blindside kill is not always such a great thing.

Just increase the tie it takes off of the wait for a titan when you kill a pilot. They are some of the dumbest bots I have ever seen in a game. I enjoy the game regardless, but I would like them out for Titanfall 2

GavinGT

Banned
Is Boneyard the first thing we ever saw from Titanfall? Remember waaaay back in 2010-11 or whatever when Respawn showed their first image?

This one?

respawn.jpg

Speaking of, I must commend Respawn for their respawn placement design/execution. I think only once in almost 100 matches did I feel like I got a bad spawn point and got shot in the back 5 seconds after spawning. I always have time to orient and acclimate myself to my new location and make some moves. Too often in KZSF and BF4 (TDM) I feel I got a shit spot leading to a fast death.

Top Bottom