• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime: Microsoft rejected Tequila Works’ game before it became PS4 exclusive

This is amazing. We need an editorial that details what was going behind the scenes 2 years leading up to the launch of both consoles.

For sure. The conventional wisdom was everywhere from neogaf to research notes. It was hard not to think it was Microsoft's generation to lose. Maybe somebody like John Ritticiello or Don Mattrick who isn't in the industry anymore could write a tell all book. I'd certainly pay good money to buy it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Probably not a big loss.

jk8fwDg.gif

leadbelly

Banned
"Isometric" and comparisons to Orcs Must Die?! Lord I hope this isn't the same game they're making right now.

Well, there is more than that in the description. I too don't really like that comparison though, because that means it's like a tower defence game. Based on the trailer though, I'm not sure the game is isometric.

Amir0x

Banned
Probably not a big loss.

What a fine post from such an objective poster, mayhaps I should subscribe to your comments in the future so that I may learn more about the industry with your uncolored, insightful commentary about the trying issues of our time.

Shinta

Banned
For sure. The conventional wisdom was everywhere from neogaf to research notes. It was hard not to think it was Microsoft's generation to lose. Maybe somebody like John Ritticiello or Don Mattrick who isn't in the industry anymore could write a tell all book. I'd certainly pay good money to buy it.
I'd love to read more about it. Very interesting post!

Not to compliment myself or anything, but I honestly felt like the Xbox was in trouble as early as 3 years back. Not coincidentally, this is when I switched from 360 to PS3. Sony was slowly building up a small fleet of must have exclusives, and PSN was starting to build parity in features with the more expensive Xbox Live. Microsoft was losing each E3 for years, with very little to show the core audience besides Kinectimals, Nike App, and ESPN. They were promoting timed Call of Duty DLC as some of their centerpiece content instead of exclusive games. Then they raised the price of Live instead of lowering it like many predicted as Sony caught up.

That's when I switched. After that, we got PS+ and the instant game collection, which blows Live out of the water.

The defense from a lot of 360 fans was that surely the 360's last 4 years were slow on exclusives because MS was gearing up behind the scenes for a very aggressive launch window. This honestly made sense, because they did this with 360. But when none of that showed up, the true extent of their mismanagement became evident.

I honestly thought Sony was outperforming MS on content for years prior to PS4's unveiling, and they were offering better value. But I never expected MS to bungle things as much as they did. A lot of the warning signs were evident though, years in advance. This didn't happen overnight. They changed their focus from games and the core audience to pursuing multi-media and the casual audience. And that's when I left, and it was 3-4 years ago.

What a fine post from such an objective poster, mayhaps I should subscribe to your comments in the future so that I may learn more about the industry with your uncolored, insightful commentary about the trying issues of our time.
Create a shrine in gaming community so we can all worship him in

Amir0x

Banned
Create a shrine in gaming community so we can all worship him in

Ah, indeed... and this magnificent shrine, this majestic symbol to his everlasting wisdom will be made of Xbox One's and powered by the Azure network. In this wonderful garden in honor of his splendor, hedgerows are cut in the shape of Master Chief and Marcus Fenix, where every tv comes with a Kinect and every action is voice controlled and every person is a dudebro. Truly heaven.

Yeah, I would have rejected that too but not for being an offline game. Rime doesn't look anything like that original pitch. Maybe the failed pitch was impetus for a new art style and more atmospheric approach than a generic aggregation of some popular game features.

Plus, Deadlight was a bomb.

Biker19

Banned
Not to compliment myself or anything, but I honestly felt like the Xbox was in trouble as early as 3 years back. Not coincidentally, this is when I switched from 360 to PS3. Sony was slowly building up a small fleet of must have exclusives, and PSN was starting to build parity in features with the more expensive Xbox Live. Microsoft was losing each E3 for years, with very little to show the core audience besides Kinectimals, Nike App, and ESPN. They were promoting timed Call of Duty DLC as some of their centerpiece content instead of exclusive games. Then they raised the price of Live instead of lowering it like many predicted as Sony caught up.

That's when I switched. After that, we got PS+ and the instant game collection, which blows Live out of the water.

The defense from a lot of 360 fans was that surely the 360's last 4 years were slow on exclusives because MS was gearing up behind the scenes for a very aggressive launch window. This honestly made sense, because they did this with 360. But when none of that showed up, the true extent of their mismanagement became evident.

I honestly thought Sony was outperforming MS on content for years prior to PS4's unveiling, and they were offering better value. But I never expected MS to bungle things as much as they did. A lot of the warning signs were evident though, years in advance. This didn't happen overnight. They changed their focus from games and the core audience to pursuing multi-media and the casual audience. And that's when I left, and it was 3-4 years ago.

I agree with this. The new Xbox team (the suits) certainly didn't care about gaming at all, & it was very evident in the last 4 years of the Xbox 360 in which they (including Don Mattrick) took over the Xbox division after they've gotten rid of the original Xbox team (probably back in either 2008 or 2009) & started pushing Kinect & Multimedia very hard over gaming since about E3 2010 while only having Halo, Gears, & Forza as 1st party exclusives.

I think that's one of the reasons why core gamers started switching over to PS3 & why PS3 had caught up to Xbox 360 in sales, because Sony never forgot about their core fans & were bringing out loads of exclusives since 2009.

And while there's exclusives out for Xbox One right now, I think that the only reason why they're bringing out exclusives for it today was because that it was the start of a new generation, not because that they truly care about gamers (or core gamers). They're just more focused on trying to take over the living room.

CaVaYeRo

Xenon

That's rich.

I think we may have to wait to see how good the game actually is before saying this was big mistake. But then again...its so perty!

Top Bottom