• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Gears XBO needs to "reignite franchise"; passing Rime was "mistake"; E3

I have to say I really love Phil's candidness, very refreshing and I enjoy perusing his feed. Nothing too exciting but:

Some talk on the new Gears of War

oAtipbB.png

Rejecting Rime

3mqgTKg.png

Unannounced games at E3 :)shock:)

q3PvzTq.png

wMcbflY.png

morpix

Yup, agreed, I like Phil. He makes me think they're not the soulless corporate overlords after all their 180's.

RoKKeR

Phil really seems on point with a lot of this stuff, really hope he is spearheading their strategy going forward.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Passing on Guitar Hero was probably a big deal back then... Why would you ever pass on anything?

There's a budget. You can't fund everything. And investing in projects that turn out to be very poor quality has some reputational risk.

For those reasons every pub is going to be choosey and have their own process for selecting games to invest in. That involves some discretion and room for 'mistakes', but like he says, it happens.

m23

Passing on Guitar Hero was probably a big deal back then... Why would you ever pass on anything?

Is that a serious question?

On topic, yeah Gears needs time. Hopefully they can bring back some of that survival/horror theme back.

derFeef

As always, Phil is saying the right things and I love his openess. Please don't disappoint with this. But I am taking everything with a grain of salt since the Black Tusk happenings.

kitsuneyo

Just watched Rime trailer for the first time, wasn't aware of it before. Definitely got my interest. Seems a bit like Shadow of the Colossus.

Phil really seems on point with a lot of this stuff, really hope he is spearheading their strategy going forward.

He admitted a mistake and said the next Gears needs to be good. Hardly visionary stuff is it?

RE_Player

Whatever you think about how the top brass is running the Xbox division you have to give credit to Phil Spencer. Dude knows games and is in no way required to be this honest with random Twitter messages directed towards him.

Man it's crazy how you can start a convo with a guy leading a billion dollar division for a massive corp like it's a casual text message saying what's up and get a response. Twitter is a cultural phenomenon.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
What happens to Black Tusk if Gears doesn't post reigniting numbers?

I guess they make something else. MS isn't in a position to close down a studio as big as Black Tusk when they are pretty slim on internal studios in the first place. That said... I just can't imagine this game will do poorly. The thirst for Gears of War will be pretty great by the time this game comes out, and Black Tusk has a lot to prove.

Btw, I find it interesting that the tweets sound like they are contemplating a reboot of sorts.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Phil's a cool guy, really needed at Microsoft and will be good for them in the long run I think. Maybe he came in too late for Xbox One, but wouldn't be surprised if major changes happen during this gen leading up into Xbox Two.

Just watched Rime trailer for the first time, wasn't aware of it before. Definitely got my interest. Seems a bit like Shadow of the Colossus.

He admitted a mistake and said the next Gears needs to be good. Hardly visionary stuff is it?

If you ignore every other thing he's been doing besides the quotes in this one thread then sure. His comments, candidness, openness has been this way since Don left, and people are acknowledging it's a nice change of pace.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Man it's crazy how you can start a convo with a guy leading a billion dollar division for a massive corp like it's a casual text message saying what's up and get a response. Twitter is a cultural phenomenon.
I freaking love it. It feels like we get an in-proportionate amount of "Microsoft passed on X" to "Sony passed on X".

Zalman

There's a budget. You can't fund everything. And investing in projects that turn out to be very poor quality has some reputational risk.

For those reasons every pub is going to be choosey and have their own process for selecting games to invest in. That involves some discretion and room for 'mistakes', but like he says, it happens.
Were they asked to publish Guitar Hero though?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

He responds to everyone, and even goes on twitter marathons I swear. It's pretty funny.

jbug617

Banned
Phil has been pretty open on twitter when it comes to questions. I noticed that the Greenberg, Pennello, Lobb and Ybarra all appeared on fans podcast for the past month.

Btw, I find it interesting that the tweets sound like they are contemplating a reboot of sorts.

I have no doubt in my mind this is the route they are going. Reference this from months ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=707161

"I think that franchise would need to be… not be reworked but think about how to expand that universe and what people are doing. Maybe make it more gritty, I don't know. You'd want to do something with it, because I think it ran its course on 360. And it was a great success on the 360, but it doesn't quite have the story arc of a thing like Halo or something, at least the way it's played out in the games."

RoKKeR

He has been incredibly open and responsive on Twitter for the past few months, something refreshing from the flip flopping bullshit Microsoft PR we're used to.

Phil's a cool guy, really needed at Microsoft and will be good for them in the long run I think. Maybe he came in too late for Xbox One, but wouldn't be surprised if major changes happen during this gen leading up into Xbox Two.
What? He was always there.

Phil is honest. In Phil we trust.

LTWheels

There is an article on Eurogamer from a few years ago about the original Xbox in Japan, and how they missed out on having RE4 as an exclusive. Capcom approached them before Nintendo. It's a good read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-why-xbox-failed-in-japan

Microsoft had heard on the grapevine that Shinji Mikami, famed creator of Resident Evil, had grown tired and frustrated with developing for the PlayStation 2, which hadn't even been out a year. There were whispers that Mikami was thinking about moving Resident Evil away from PlayStation. He was looking at Microsoft, preparing to launch the Xbox, and Nintendo, preparing to launch the GameCube. Microsoft saw its chance, and set up a meeting.

The meeting was conducted by a member of Microsoft Japan's staff who could speak both English and Japanese. Things began cordially, but soon started to deteriorate. Bachus shifted uneasily in his seat. He could tell from Mikami's body language and tone that he wasn't happy with the answers he was getting. The entire meeting was conducted in Japanese. Notes were passed to Bachus explaining what was going on but all he could do was watch in horror, helpless, as it fell apart. The meeting ended abruptly. Mikami stood, bowed, and left.

Bachus was furious. The translator explained: Mikami had confirmed what Microsoft had heard, that he was frustrated developing for PlayStation 2, which was tough to work with. But his team's bonuses were tied to game sales. He needed a reason, a way to explain the shift away from the wildly successful PlayStation 2, the dominant platform of the time, to the Xbox, which had yet to launch, and which in most Japanese eyes was doomed to failure. “What do you guys have to offer?” he asked, bluntly.

Eventually an exasperated Mikami boiled it down: 'what is your philosophy? Sony says games are entertainment, something larger, fuelled by the Emotion Engine. Nintendo says games are toys, created by the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto, perhaps the greatest game developer of all time. What do you feel?' Microsoft had no answer.

“I almost jumped out the window because we had said repeatedly over and over and over that we aspire to enable games that could be considered to be art, much like film,” Bachus says, “that because of the maturity of the development tools and the APIs and the power of the technology, game developers on Xbox would be able to concentrate on the finesse features that elevated games to being something more than they were otherwise.

“So the guy who reported to me said, 'oh that's so great! I wish that I had known that.' But unfortunately it was too late.”

Bachus flagged down Pat Ohura, the head of Xbox Japan at the time, and told him to jump on the next train to Osaka to salvage the deal. But he was too late. Mikami had already met with Nintendo and pledged Resident Evil to its consoles. “That's why Resident Evil 4 was a Nintendo exclusive and it took a while for it to come to Xbox. That was very frustrating.”

Bsigg12

He's been apart of the Xbox One team from the beginning and Xbox as a brand for that matter for a very long time. He's just kind of become more prominent though post Mattrick.

I guess they make something else. MS isn't in a position to close down a studio as big as Black Tusk when they are pretty slim on internal studios in the first place. That said... I just can't imagine this game will do poorly. The thirst for Gears of War will be pretty great by the time this game comes out, and Black Tusk has a lot to prove.

My concern is if Gears does poorly or below projections, developers at black tusk won't feel compelled to stay. A game not hitting it's mark rarely fosters a good dev scenario

What happens to Black Tusk if they reignite the series, you debbie downer.

they possibly get to make sequels for it until the end of time? *shrug*

At best they get to breath and get back to work on their stealth title?

Top Bottom