• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crave: Thief PS4s Low Framerate is Proof that 1080p isn’t Always the Answer

UPDATE:

the author of the article is the same person who made these posts regarding titanfall and is now banned

So much for gamers saying gameplay over graphics.

I think the game looks good and has a solid presentation. More importantly, it's fun as heck to play.

Have you played it? It WILL BE a system seller regardless of beta.

Wow. Fanboys want this game to fail so badly. I can't wait to see what they have to say when the review scores and sales blow up next month.

GL HF.

you can take a guess why

-----------------------------------------------------------
Searched and didn't find a thread on this.

Playing through Thief on PS4 and Xbox One over the past week I'm not so sure 1080p on consoles is a standard that should be set for next-gen. The PS4 version struggles needlessly to try to maintain a 30 frames per second presentation, regularly dipping into the 15-20 range during gameplay. At several points in the journey, it even edges toward the single digits. That isn't even something I remember dealing with on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

The Xbox One version seems to run significantly better

What makes this particularly controversial is the Xbox One version does a much better job of maintaining a steady framerate. I'd go as far as to say because of this, the Xbox One version is better.

So how is it that Thief on Xbox One is able to do this? Well, the short answer is 900p. It's displayed at a lower resolution, requiring roughly 660,000 fewer pixels per image to be rendered. However, the visual clarity would make you think the six-digit figure is in no way accurate. The truth is that's due to diminishing returns. Between 900p and 1080p the images don't look nearly as different as going from the standard definition output of 480i up to 720p. Surprisingly, the pixel difference is the same.
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...te-is-proof-that-1080p-isnt-always-the-answer
Interesting....

MMaRsu

Banned
Patch incoming?

Ofcourse lowering resolution ups the fps. Its a shame this developer didnt playtest on ps4 and it maybe should have been 900p as well then.

Or the game is an unoptimized one.

vocab

This developer isn't known for their optimization either. Deus Ex HR was fucked up on PC for many people for a long time.

Loudninja

Its been discuss in the Digital Foundry topic that both version have major framerate drops in cutscenes but less in game play.

Just a technical mess from the sounds of it.

Kysen

Terrible game terrible performance. They couldn't even get the AI working properly never mind the graphics. Then there's the constant loading screens.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. One of the reviews that used the Xbox One version also complained of major frame rate chugging issues.

I'm going to be playing on PC, but it looks like there are issues there, too.

chadskin

Germany's GamePro says it's the other way around, with the PS4 offering a more stable framerate. Other reviews don't mention any noticeable difference in framerate.

Guess we'll have to wait for Digital Foundry.

VanWinkle

Heard from several outlets that there are major framerate issues on both platforms. This site is the only one that has stated that XB1 doesn't have this problem.

Astonishing that this game has trouble hitting 30 on either platform, to be honest.

SgtCobra

Dismissing returns for the PS4.
First Strider now Thief, Cerny pls.

No seriously, single digit fps? That's atrocious.

Germany's GamePro says it's the other way around, with the PS4 offering a more stable framerate. Other reviews don't mention any noticeable difference in framerate.

Uh oh..

GeoramA

Wonder why Phire Phox didn't post that story.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Polygon and several other reviews say both versions suffer framerate issues.

At least that bug was funny. The frequent, significant frame rate issues I encountered on both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One were less so. They don't make the game unplayable on either platform, but they hurt the overall coherence of presentation that Thief seems to be working so hard to build. When it isn't stuttering, it's an often stunning game.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/24/5441360/thief-review

Arthur Gies would have added points to the XB1 version if it maintained a smooth framerate. It doesn't.

Wasn't interested int he game before, not interested now.

Just make it 900p on both if there is a framerate issue.

That being said: 900p to 1080p is as big if not a bigger jump than 720p to 900p. Native resolution doesn't have the blurry look.

Wonder why Phire Phox didn't post that story.

LOL. You don't.

Domdev

Banned
lZJViKu.gif

So 2 games out of them all have had " better framerates " then the PS4 version, and both of those games were considered better on the X1 then PS4.

But of course, Tomb Raider running @ 60fps on the PS4 means nothing to the overall quality of the product compared to the 30fps X1 version, of course not.

And after looking around, this is the one site that has said this. So I'm not exactly considering this biblical truth yet lol.

Nafai1123

Banned
Lol, no objective analysis done, used as a "argument" for why resolution doesn't matter. I'll wait for DF to weigh in with some real numbers.

Eusis

The developers also seemed kind of ambivalent about 60 FPS, so it could not only be resolution but them going "oh look how much I can flip on now!" when going to next-gen consoles, doubly bad if it's shit that doesn't really have enough of a image quality boost to justify the FPS massacre. Not that I necessarily expect a difference between the two in that category but it does seem plausible that if they kept other settings at last gen quality it'd be an easy 60 FPS game or at least regularly 30+.

Hmmmm, going to wait if other reviews says the the same otherwise...

....congratulations, Thief dev team, how does it feel to be the first dev to code a game to single digits on the PS4?

Audioboxer

Interesting. One of the reviews that used the Xbox One version also complained of major frame rate chugging issues.

I'm going to be playing on PC, but it looks like there are issues there, too.

It certainly doesn’t help that, from a technical standpoint, the game runs about as well as a drunken toddler. I can’t decide whether the developer’s recent promise of “30 frames per second” was hopeless optimism or a bald-faced lie, but it’s certainly quite far from the truth. Perhaps they expected no one to notice or care that the game chugs to around half that, if not lower. And, more embarrassing still, the pre-rendered cutscenes manage to be even choppier than the gameplay. How is that even possible?

Primary version reviewed was for Xbox One.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-thief/

Paging Digital Foundry....

Abdiel

Does anyone take Phire Phox seriously? Cherry picking the only article among many reviews that gives the X1 a perceived advantage over the PS4 (which is contradicted by pretty much every other article out there) just comes across as silly. C'mon now.

FStop7

Banned
Brand new hardware that isn't tapped while trying to run near-launch games at what should be the standard resolution and framerate is the answer. So disappointed in both new consoles for this.

Alx

It's UE3. It shouldn't be 30fps on either platform. It's the devs fault this time not the hardware

An engine is no guarantee of performance. You can have any hardware struggle with any engine if you ask more than it can handle.

The PS4 version struggles needlessly to try to maintain a 30 frames per second presentation, regularly dipping into the 15-20 range during gameplay. At several points in the journey, it even edges toward the single digits. That isn't even something I remember dealing with on the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.
This person didn't play a SINGLE game on PS3 or 360 that had a bad/inconsistent framerate? Or are they talking about the PS3/360 versions of just THIS game?

Ridley327

Evidence seems to point to the game being a rather unoptimized mess on consoles, regardless of the resolution. Blame the QA, not the technical parameters they were shooting for.

Alienous

Interesting.

It's Unreal Engine 3, and not a gorgeous game from what I've seen. This is strange.

I await the dev's response.

viveks86

Yikes! I was gonna buy this game. But the reviews AND the performance issues have made it easy to decide against it. Damn shame…

Top Bottom