• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BABYMETAL J-pop and Metal infused to form insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soup Bar

19mvzDkl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

They had their debut album come out a day or two ago, and I get the same feels I'd normally get from Mad Capsule Markets. This is bat shit insane. I must play Outrun 2 and Burnout now.

ЯAW

Banned
Doesn't sound anything like Mad Capsule Markets. It really weirds me out how they push these teenage idols in Japan. It's not exclusive to Japan but they are really pushing it.

Soup Bar

Yeah they aren't really anything like The Mad Capsule Markets, they just remind me of them for some reason. I don't listen to a lot of Japanese music so I guess that's why.

However MCM did combine genres like BABYMETAL does. Just not the same ones.

shuri

Banned
This is so weird.. and terrible. It's pretty interesting to see how those j-pop bands are making shitload of money in their markets while they would get laughed out of the stores in Europe and the Americas. It's like the asian market (i know this is a rather wide range..) is living in their own plane of reality that is strangely 10-15 years behind current musical thread.

but eh, it's making them tons of money! more power to them

I like Baby Metal. I really think people need to stop looking at them as a metal band though, they are through and through an idol group and nothing more. Same way Passpo is an idol group, but with a rock band back track, but not a rock band.

Mixing genres with idols as the face is the new "To beat AKB48" strategy that of course won't work but some of the songs are good at least.

On to BM again though, their singer (girl in the middle) has some talent thats for sure. I hope they actually try to highlight the fact she has a ton of potential as a vocalist at some point, then again, being in an idol group that probably won't happen.
google Masuda Yuka, former member of AKB48, amazing voice, never got the push in the public eye. Eventually did a stint on broadway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK3NMZAUKGw

Better song, eventhough it does not show a live concert lol.

wildfire

Banned
This is so weird.. and terrible. It's pretty interesting to see how those j-pop bands are making shitload of money in their markets while they would get laughed out of the stores in Europe and the Americas. It's like the asian market (i know this is a rather wide range..) is living in their own plane of reality that is strangely 10-15 years behind current musical thread.

Behind other musical trends? No. It seems the Japanese musical trend post 1970s is to commercialize every genre into some product that can spliced up into mix and match (or clash) components

Aren't those countries eating up Miley Cyrus music?

Peru

The tunes are big. Their music and perfomances trancend the gimmicky concept. The vocalist's voice is really strong. Get over your bias and inclination to judge music on surface value.

I will say I like the outfits a lot more than the visual kei stuff. I get that X Japan was inspired by Kiss and such, but man Japan has made Kei really weird.

EDIT:
Just like every other type of metal I came across, fantastic music.... putrid vocals.

I suppose you haven't listened to X Japan. They don't sound like your typical metal band, but based on your statement that's a good thing.

Jarate

Banned
The guitar solo isn't horrid...

I also like in the end how it says "see you in the mosh'sh pit"

what the fuck is a mosh'sh pit"

silly japanese people and their lack of understanding of an English metal term

I feel bad for the backing bands as some of the instrumentals were quite nice. But Im assuming they'll make money selling their soul.

Jarate

Banned
Just like every other type of metal I came across, fantastic music.... putrid vocals.

You should get into Prog Rock mang

get dat awesome instrumentals, and dat awesome vocals mang.

Metal has had some awesome vocalists, but Thrash metal does suffer from what you talk about. But vocals ain't that important mang. Just ignore the singing and listen to dem guitar solos

This is the best thing ever. I first heard that single of theirs where the video had the clock imagery well over a year ago and I wondered if there was more of them somewhere out there.

Now, how does someone living the US legally get their album, or better still, a DVD?

RM8

This group? No. I don't think their last single reached 30k copies. You're thinking of AKB48, they tend to sell over a million copies of their singles on the first day of release.

ЯAW

Banned
This is the best thing ever. I first heard that single of theirs where the video had the clock imagery well over a year ago and I wondered if there was more of them somewhere out there.

Now, how does someone living the US legally get their album, or better still, a DVD?
Cdjapan is expensive but it's good. Also Amazon has plenty of third party sellers who sell import cds.

Namikaze

Well, it's different. Kinda interesting. In fact I think I might like it enough to check this group out.

Is that a statue of Mary behind them in the video?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom