• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

IrishNinja

Neo_GAFinal.jpg

ivB8ee2.jpg

For the love of god, support the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter! << it's finally happening (;_;)

"He shall appear from a far Eastern land across the sea. A young man who has yet to know his potential. This potential is a power that can either destroy him, or realize his will. His courage shall determine his fate. The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying. For this destiny predetermined since ancient times... A pitch, black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light. And thus the saga, begins..." Shenhua Ling

#SaveShenmue Campaign - On the 3rd day of each month, gamers unite on social media to speak out for Shenmue, a defining series of videogames abandoned by Sega without conclusion at the turn of the century. Legendary designer Yu Suzuki remains keen to complete his masterpiece and satisfy the unwavering demand of customers left hanging by the tantalizing climax of Shenmue II on the original Xbox and Dreamcast. But he can't get to work without commissioning by Sega, who own the license and refuse to fund the project without investment from a major console maker. Help us increase the pressure on the parties who need to act in order for Suzuki-san to get his wish.

Origins
Shenmue is the first open world video game created and designed by Yu Suzuki for the Sega Dreamcast system. The concept of Shenmue originates way back in the early 90's when Yu Suzuki went to China to do research for Virtua Fighter. Over in China he and his team learned martial arts and studied Chinese culture. After the success of Virtua Fighter Sega asked Yu Suzuki to make a "killer title", they wanted a new epic rpg for their console. He then spent 2 years developing a prototype on the Sega Saturn, until it was later moved over to the Dreamcast. Before being officially announced it was code named Project Berkley, and often speculated to be a Virtua Fighter RPG. In the end Yu Suzuki delivered what would be an immersive open world game set in Japan & China during the late 80's.

In early stages of development the heroine of the game was modeled after Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter. Later on his face would change and eventually his entire outfit, until he became Ryo Hazuki as we know him now.

Ryo_Evolution2.jpg

Yu Suzuki
Yu Suzuki is a prolific video game designer who has made innovative Sega games like Outrun, After Burner, Virtua Fighter, and Shenmue. His games has earned recognition by the Smithsonian, and he's been inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame. In GDC 2011 he was given the Pioneer Award by his close colleague Mark Cerny. He has many personal interests that include drawing (has sold paintings), music (plays a guitar), driving sports cars (owns a Ferrari), playing billiards, and has even flown a real fighter jet. Before deciding to be a programmer which led him to Sega he considered becoming a dentist or illustrator.

Games
Shenmue_Games.jpg

Shenmue
Platforms: Sega Dreamcast
Pre-release: Project Berkley Disc (VF3TB) | What's Shenmue Demo & VHS

The year is 1986, the place Yokosuka, Japan. The normally tranquil day to day life of Ryo Hazuki is suddenly and irrevocably shattered by uninvited visitors. A man wearing dark green Chinese clothes appears at the Hazuki residence with two black-suited thugs. The man uses a powerful martial arts, the likes of which Ryo has never seen. He tries to intervene and help his father, but the obvious disparity in power is too much. Ryo is beaten down and taken hostage as the man questions Iwao. "Where is the mirror?" Having no other recourse, Iwao reluctantly tells him. Once the mysterious item is in his possession, he again attacks Iwao "Do you remember Zhao Sun Ming?" From these words, Ryo learns that his father was responsible for killing someone long ago. Ryo pulls his dying father close and feels him take his last breath. "Lan Di"

Vowing to take revenge, Ryo embarks on a journey to unravel the mystery of his father's death and deliver justice to the man responsible.

Shenmue II
Platforms: Sega Dreamcast | Microsoft Xbox
Pre-release: Demo Disc (Rare)
Side Story Comics: Vol 1 | Vol 2 | Vol 3 | Vol 4

Seeking answers and vengeance, Ryo Hazuki arrives in the bustling metropolis of Hong Kong. Encountering new friends and foes alike, Ryo realizes he has much to learn and must master new martial art skills to prepare himself for his ultimate showdown with Lan Di, the man who killed his father. Each day brings Ryo closer to his goal of avenging his father's death and unlocking the mysteries of the Phoenix mirror.

Multimedia
Shenmue Music Compilations: Shenmue Original Soundtrack | Orchestra Version | Shenmue Online | Cutscenes | FREE | In-Game | Passport | Misc | Tape | Singles | Jukebox
Shenmue II Music Compilations: Aberdeen In-game | Aberdeen Cutscenes | Wan Chai In-game | Wan Chai Cutscenes | Kowloon In-game
Music Playlists: OST | Orchestra | FREE | Cutscenes | In-game | Misc | Passport | Tapes | Aberdeen | Wan Chai | Kowloon | Guilin | Misc | Shenmue Online | S1 Extended | S2 Extended
Video Playlists: Shenmue (English) | Shenmue (Japanese) | Shenmue II (Dreamcast) | Shenmue II (Xbox) | Mods | Passport Renders | Unsorted Game Videos
History: Yu Suzuki Interviews & Old Promos | Project Berkley | Shenmue Saturn | What's Shenmue Demo | What's Shenmue VHS | Shenmue Premiere
Fan Videos: Game Reviews & Retrospectives | Fan Played Instrumentals | Gang Edition Movies | Misc Fan Stuff
Misc: Cultural Influences | Character Voices | Comedy & Humour | Shenmue Online | Live Performances
Fan Games: Shenmue X Chapter 1: (Ryo's Story) | Shenmue X Chapter 2: (Fuku-san's Story)
Artwork: 3d Art | 2d Art | Wallpapers | Gallery | Download

FAQ

• Q: Who needs Shenmoo when we got YAKUZA

A: UGH seriously please stop this; they're both amazing series for very different reasons, and confusing them does neither fanbase any good.
    also: SHUT UP BEEFY, NO ONE CARES

• Q: Didn't this game cost like $70 bajillion dollars and sell 32 copies tho

A: Not that sales should be a metric for greatness, but part 1 did sell over a million copies on an amazing system which sadly had a small userbase & died way too early. Likewise, Suzuki claims the $70 million total was budgeted for the whole series, with $47 of that going into developing the F.R.E.E. engine & initial chapter/game. If you truly believe it was a significant factor in sinking Sega's hardware development, Eidolon's Inn (starting from at least the 32X section) should be most informative.

• Q: What's the best way to play part 2, then?

A: I prefer importing the PAL Dreamcast version - it's still relatively cheap, and you don't even need a bootup disc, as I recall...plus, Japanese subs/no more bad dubbing! Others prefer the OG Xbox version which is also available for the price of beans. Alternatively, the DC emulation scene (i'm told) is pretty good these days.
Links & Resources
Official Site: Shenmue.com
Shenmue Dojo: Website | Youtube Channel | Facebook | Twitter | Forums
#SaveShenmue Campaign: Team Yu | Shenmue 500k | Shenmue Fans
Shenmue Master: Website | Facebook

(Community banner designed by LelouchViBritannia & JCgamer60, much love to JC for this revised OP as well)

IrishNinja

Thanks a lot Irishninja, now I got to setup nulldc on my work's laptop

;_;

heh, glad to help! ive wanted to replay them since forever, kept putting it off because:

Gimme some 1+2 HD re-release please.

but honestly if nothing shows up at GDC/E3 this year I'll probably give it a go since i have a good upscaler & VGA setup, it's been far too long now.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Gen X reporting in, you have my sword, etc etc

Just rebought Shenmue 2 a few weeks ago (Sold my last one to fund a trip) so very stoked about that. Let's hope my DC still works fine after being in its box for the last 8 years.

Randomizer

One of the most unique gaming experiences around. So ahead of it's time both technically and thematically. Play both games every few years, especially love playing part one at Christmas.

There is such a blend of genres and so many things to do. The first game is like a 3rd person visual novel, fighting game and detective game rolled into one. The second is more of the same but a heavier focus on action, it's basically a Hong Kong action movie.

Why they didn't receive an HD port, whilst almost every other first party Dreamcast game of importance did baffles me.

IrishNinja

Gen X reporting in, you have my sword, etc etc

*nods*

The second is more of the same but a heavier focus on action, it's basically a Hong Kong action movie.

this is really a big part of what clicked for me; there's parts of 2 that feel like you're playing a classic Shaw Bros kung-fu flick, it's amazing and stuff like Jade Empire didn't even try to come close to that feel for me.

Why they didn't receive an HD port, whilst almost every other first party Dreamcast game of importance did baffles me.

curiously, the other one ive seen kicked around forever but nothing happened with is the likewise-excellent Skies of Arcadia, which got a great GC port but after Jet Grind Radioooooh showed up i was so sure the ball would keep rollin'...alas.

liquidtmd

Banned
I always imagine some PR rep at Sega breaking down one day and rampaging like Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction:

"SAY SHENMUE AGAIN, I DARE YOU I DOUBLE DARE YOU MOTHER******"

Still, sigh. Would like Sony or MS and Suzuki to come to a budget agreement and just make this happen. Full rerelease and a third.

USDF

Banned
Quite possibly my most loved game of my whole gaming journey I hope it is given a worthy conclusion one day

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Live in the UK but have an import Japanese dreamcast. Can I still play the Uk Shenmue 2 somehow, or should I look into emulation?

I always imagine some PR rep at Sega breaking down one day and rampaging like Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction:

"SAY SHENMUE AGAIN, I DARE YOU I DOUBLE DARE YOU MOTHER******"

Still, sigh. Would like Sony or MS and Suzuki to come to a budget agreement and just make this happen. Full rerelease and a third.

I don't think Yu Suzuki's capable anymore.. He's making mobile games these days...

He should tell someone what he planned for the series and let other studios make it. Shenmue trademark has expired afterall. The question is, which studio would be best fitted to make a worthy Shenmue 3?

flattie

I'd love to play these, but I'm not getting a DC just for them.

Too bad Sega's head is too far up its own ass to release HD remasters.

When Sega was ripe and inventive; when virtually every new release was a new IP, the market rejected them. Today's Sega is the market's reward.

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't think Yu Suzuki's capable anymore.. He's making mobile games these days...

He should tell someone what he planned for the series and let other studios make it. Shenmue trademark has expired afterall. The question is, which studio would be best fitted to make a worthy Shenmue 3?

Alas you're probably not wrong. He's earned a pass for life though with his producing / direction work alone. Outrun, Afterburner, Virtua Racing / Cop / Fighter / Shenmue... just a shame.

Not obsessive about Shenmue but it was a nice diversion and was greater than the sum of its parts.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Live in the UK but have an import Japanese dreamcast. Can I still play the Uk Shenmue 2 somehow, or should I look into emulation?

It says in the OP that a boot disc isn't required, but I am not sure if that was only for the US?

Alas you're probably not wrong. He's earned a pass for life though with his producing / direction work alone. Outrun, Afterburner, Virtua Racing / Cop / Fighter / Shenmue... just a shame.

Not obsessive about Shenmue but it was a nice diversion and was greater than the sum of its parts.

He deserves a place alongside figures such as Carmack, Miyamoto and Kojima. If he was younger, and SEGA didn't go downhill, he'd still be producing amazing games. Such a shame.

You forgot the most important question: why should anyone take the word of a teenage goofball over a respected businessman like Lan Di?

MilkBeard

oooooh nice! Love the FAQ, I was laughing my ass off.

I'm a proud owner of Shenmue 1 US, and Shenmue 2 PAL for Dreamcast. This postmortem will be interesting, if only just to learn a little bit more about what went into the making of Shenmue.

Anyway, keep hope alive!

So, i have the original Shenmue on Dreamcast, but I can't face finding my dreamcast and hooking it up to my HDTV. Are there any decent dreamcast emulators?

I have Shenmue 2 on my Xbox, whi works with my 360 so that's not a problem.

MilkBeard

So, i have the original Shenmue on Dreamcast, but I can't face finding my dreamcast and hooking it up to my HDTV. Are there any decent dreamcast emulators?

I have Shenmue 2 on my Xbox, whi works with my 360 so that's not a problem.

If you have a VGA cable/converter and your HDTV will display the game in it's natural resolution (with black bars on the sides) it still looks pretty decent. I'd say give that a go if you can.

liquidtmd

Banned
If there ever was a Shenmue 3, I'd want it to start with 300 sailors doing a dance routine in some kind of Hollywood musical jazz number.

"WE'RE HERE, WE'RE HERE, WE'RE HANGING OUT RIGHT HERE, SO ROLL UP AND LET THE SHOW FINALLY BEGINNNNNNNNNNNNN"

or Ryu silently meditating under a tree, eithers good

akaoni

Banned
Is there any good modern video reviews of the games? Like good footage and someone to listen to. I remember being pretty impressed watching the original game at a friends house, bought the sequel for the Xbox and my family wanted me to turn the game off because of how fucking weird the dubbed dialogue sounded, fun times.

MilkBeard

Is there any good modern video reviews of the games? Like good footage and someone to listen to. I remember being pretty impressed watching the original game at a friends house, bought the sequel for the Xbox and my family wanted me to turn the game off because of how fucking weird the dubbed dialogue sounded, fun times.

ha ha, the dub is pretty goofy. I haven't heard the dub for II but if it's anything like the first game, then yeah ha ha.

Oh, how Shenmue would benefit greatly from the improvements in voice acting that have been made since then.

sparkzero

Subcribed for more Shenmue love!

I own the Xbox Version of Shenmue II but it was enough to dive into this huge world. Looking forward to Yu's GDC speech.

I played Shenmue during Christmas last year for the first time since 2006 - it was every bit the masterpiece I remembered it being. I'll move on to Shenmue II soon and relive the heartbreak of completing the unfinished saga all over again.

I'm always looking for sailors...

Err, anyway, I'm always tempted to replay these games, but I know that I'll be disappointed when I won't be able to continue after the end of II.

Also, my Xbox won't read Shenmue II, for some reason, even the disc is basically perfect condition. Same with a handful of other games. Heh. :(

I could play it on the Xbox 360, but that's a little bit glitchy, mainly in the graphics (no real-time shadows, no filters, some graphics issues in the arcade games), but it's still playable. But still...with no Shenmue III, it's like spiraling myself into depression!

I'll probably still replay them, anyway. And Mega Man Legends, too. Hopefully they'll get third games! Believe!

Hopefully that post-mortem is actually a secret Shenmue III reveal. That'd make it the best birthday present ever.

Top Bottom