• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a Dark souls-like game on Vita or 3DS?

Toxi

Banned
Dark Souls-like in what way?

There is Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter has very similar melee combat, with the main differences being the lack of lock-on and how long and grindy battles are.

I dunno, Dark Souls like a very-realized King's Field and KF has been around for a long time. I'm curious as to why there wouldn't be attempts at the same style on a powerful portable.

Raptomex

Are there any games on Vita? Actually I wouldn't mind Dark Souls for Vita. Between that and Spelunky I could play forever.

Shinta

Banned
Valhalla Knights 3 had one screenshot that looked like Dark Souls.

original.jpg

Then I played the game. It's nothing like Dark Souls.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Nothing like that on Vita or 3DS currently.

Why? I have no idea. The Vita is more than capable of bringing us a Dark Souls or Demon's Souls type game.

I think Valhalla Knights 3 has a bit of the Demon's/Dark Souls difficulty, but the game is pretty low budget (although I find it kind of charming; like a quirky PS2 action/JRPG). It takes place in a prison, but there are different locales spread out that the prison is kind of a hub world for. The graphics are so/so, but it has character creation, classes to choose between and level up, and some pretty difficult battles. If you aren't properly leveled up and equipped, even standard enemies can rock you. It has a party system, so you can recruit people to join you while you were out and about. It also has multiplayer with up to two people, but I've never tried it. Please note that it's nothing like the Soul's games as far as presentation goes, but it's a solid action/rpg. I wouldn't recommend it at full price (I bought it full price digitally), but if you can find it on sale for cheap, it's worth it. It's $30 now digitally, but again, I'd wait for it to go lower.

About that...

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is a PSP game that can be played on the Vita. I have it, and mapping the camera to the right analog stick does wonders for the game compared to the PSP using the digital pad as the camera.

butman

Both handhelds controls scheme doesn't allow to make a Souls game properly.

Vita: L2 R2 missing.

3DS: Double analogs and L2 R2 missing.

And don't come here to say that it can be adaptable. Because is not.

As many have stated, the closest you'll get - Combat wise - to the Souls series in 3DS is Monster Hunter. However, the games are drastically diferent, but both are challenging and offer a HUGE replay value.

Monster hunter combat follows similar paradigms to Dark Souls in that positioning, timing, awareness and acuity are crucial skills, but that's really saying that both are very well-executed action games. In terms of atmosphere, lore and minimalistic storytelling there's nothing like it on a handheld. In terms of home consoles, very few manage to pull off those elements as well as Dark Souls.

La Mulana is the closest thing philosophically, imo, despite being 2D/retro and predating the Souls series. It should still be heading to Vita as planned. The sequel just finished it's kickstarter and met it's goal, but sadly didn't get anywhere near any of it's stretch goals for handheld versions.

Also, Tearaway.

Talamius

Poor 3DS Circle Pad Pro. Always forgotten. It addresses the L2/R2 and double analog problem. Too bad very few games outside of Monster Hunter use it.

It does make MH3U great, though. MGS 3D, RE:R and Kid Icarus all support it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

The Vita also has a front touch screen, and a rear touch pad. The control scheme of Demon's/Dark Souls isn't so complex that it can't be mapped to the Vita.

This control scheme, can easily be adapted to take advantage of the Vita's 10 buttons, two analog sticks, touchscreen and back touch pad.

It would just take a little bit of tweaking. For example, I'd use the touchscreen to utilize Estus Flasks, or switch between weapons/items by tapping on the icon in the lower left corner of the shield. That would free up the Square button, which could be used for something else (like parrying, or lock on, what have you). I'd also use the touchscreen to go between two handed and one handed stances by, again, letting the player tap or long press the weapon icon to switch stances. That frees up the Triangle button for another use (like heavy attacks or even guard). With the touch pad, the digital pad could be completely freed up to have another purpose. The rear touchpad I'd restrict to simple things, not combat heavy tasks, as it can be awkward having main functions on the rear pad (although Killzone: SF and ACIV in remote play on the Vita have very responsive and comfortable rear touchpad functionality).

Nimajneb

There aren't really any other modern games comparable to Dark Souls. Dark Souls is like an NES game brought into the modern era, and is the complete opposite of what other games are trying to be. The games that most closely resemble Dark Souls in terms of game design are the classic titles such as Megaman, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, and Castlevania. But I don't think those are the type of game you're looking for.

Anything can be adapted. When there's a reduction in inputs there's almost always a slight reduction in quality, but it doesn't have to be anything that effects the overall quality too dramatically.

Example: Make taping and letting go of the right trigger=light attack and holding down the trigger=heavy attack. Might introduce a few milliseconds of delay vs. the console version, but it's nothing that couldn't be adjusted to, or make heavy attack a combination of a button and the trigger (R+X or something). Parrying... I don't know, make it the X button or something? Don't really use that button in combat for the most part. Tap anywhere on the touchscreen to lockon since you don't have R3.

Flipyap

Two-handed toggle, use item and the action button can easily be moved to the touch screen, that would free up 3 buttons for pretty much every combat action and it still leaves one trigger for whatever you'd like to do when you're struggling with the camera (or lock-on which would feel better than the default control scheme anyway).

Randdalf

Care to elaborate? I think ALBTW is so easy and straighfoward most of the time that doesn't feel anything like you said.

It very loosely follows the same gameplay loop is what I mean. There's an open-ended but still at some points linear path through the game, and when you die you lose something (in this case, your rented items). As I said, vague.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Soul Sacrifice is the only game I can think of. Although it's closer to Monster Hunter than DS

MLH

A game with a similar style/ atmosphere, difficultly and requiring careful attention then maybe The Dark Spire on DS (good luck finding a copy). It's a first person party dungeon crawler, similar to wizardry, a very fun game, great music, although some bullshit deaths at times due to the random battles.

Edit: Actually, I don't want to finish my post about The Dark Spire as a Dark Souls-like game, it doesn't do the game justice since it's awesome.

The Dark Spire was developed by Success, a Japanese developer, but is heavily inspired by western role playing games (like Wizardy), the story is narrated like a table-top RPG, you create a party and roll their stats, equipment values remain vague so you must make a decision on what equipment is best for your party without hindering it.

Your only task is to find a defeat the Archmage Tyrhung who has taken residence at the top of The Dark Spire - a tower full of thieves, bandits, monsters and all sorts of strange folk. Of course reaching the top is no small task, there are many obstacles and traps in the tower, requiring wits and memory to solve puzzles, as well as planning to keep you party alive.

Did I mention the music is awesome, because it’s awesome: Have a listen.

Every old-school RPG fan should have played this game, it’s great, not for everybody as it’s grind heavy and very (very) slow paced, but it still gave me hope for the old-school first person dungeon crawler when there wasn’t any (at the time). Now we have Legend of Grimrock and M&M X as well as the Etrian Odyssey (different atmosphere but similar game).

the-dark-spire-20090416040558354.jpg

redcrayon

I don't really see how the Vita being short two buttons is a problem when it has a touch screen and back touch panels. I've been happily playing PSOne games that map L2/R2 to the back touch panels, and various RPGs that map secondary functions to the main touch screen . The exact button layout of two of the inputs isn't exactly as critical to the Souls games as you seem to make out.

redcrayon

Using touchscreen anything to parry sounds like the worst goddamned thing.
I agree, I wouldn't put anything combat-critical on a touch screen or as motion controls, I hated using touch for melee in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I always prefer combat commands to be buttons (Mario Galaxy rendering the spin attack as a shake meant I just never used it). But there are other things you could do, like putting item-shortcuts on the touch screen and using d-pad inputs as buttons instead.

The Vita could get pretty damn close to running a Souls game considering the action games already running on the system, it's just incredibly unlikely to happen.

Branson

Guys the circle pad pro does exsist for the 3ds that remedies the control problems a lot of you seem to be glossing over and forgetting. It's only $20 too so it's not like it's a big investment if you're really worried about it. I'm sure they could make it work on vita too.

Top Bottom