• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Well, I had a long and nuanced post typed up but ... the short of it is, I'm probably not the ideal candidate to discuss the evolution of bands/artists in the manner you desire and don't want to clog the thread with stuff the other posters may not care about :p

I would like to have read it, but I can appreciate that.

GutsOfThor

Looks like Manowar is calling it quits?

From their Facebook:

Message To All Manowarriors - Nachricht an alle Manowarrior
The Gods And Kings Tour was a groundbreaking moment in our career. The stage, sound, video and you, our fans, were magnificent!
Coming off such an amazing tour it was clear that the next time we must go even bigger and beyond anything we have ever done; something that will fulfill every Manowarrior’s dreams. Then that will be the ultimate moment to say Thank You and farewell!
The Final Battle will begin in Germany and take us all over the world to say goodbye to all of you.
If you know Metal
you know MANOWAR.
If you know MANOWAR
you know Metal!
Those who join this tour will be left with an eternal memory; having witnessed the band that has dedicated their blood, hearts, souls and every moment of their career to True Heavy Metal.
We are calling all Manowarriors to prepare yourselves now and to join us for The Final Battle!”

Pro

Well here is some good news for Seventh Wonder fans. From their Facebook page. It sure has been a long while and we have been waiting patiently.

https://www.facebook.com/seventhwonderofficial/

BREAKING NEWS: Frontiers Music Srl is excited to announce the signing of Swedish progressive metal masters SEVENTH WONDER for a multi album deal!

Originally formed in Stockholm in 2000, the band debuted in 2005 with “Become”. The second album, “Waiting in the Wings” - and first to feature Tommy Karevik on vocals - followed in 2006. Two more successful records, the concept album “Mercy Falls”, and “The Great Escape”, followed before the band went on hiatus following singer Tommy Karevik being chosen to take Roy Kahn’s place in KAMELOT.

Seventh Wonder is now ready to start again and has plans to return with a live recording and a brand new album to kick things off.

Bass player Andreas Blomqvist states: “It has been too quiet in the Seventh Wonder camp for far too long – and FINALLY that is about to change! Many years have passed since we last put out a record but, finally the band is a fully functioning unit again, ready to create some great new music. As we were getting ready to get back on track we also needed somebody to partner with. Somebody who shared our vision for the band and saw our potential and was willing to commit to the band. We have found that somebody in Frontiers! We are thrilled to be on board with such a famous label with many of our favourite bands on their roster. You, the fans, have been more patient than anyone could ever deserve. We are equally proud and humbled by that and we promise to do our best, together with our new friends at Frontiers, to make up for the years of silence by going full speed ahead. And you know what? The new album is sounding great!”

Fans first taste of new music will see the light of day in the fall, with the new album expected to be released in the first half of 2017.

RDreamer

Listened to Tonight's Decision and Brave Murder Day today. I still think TD holds up pretty well, though the production kind of does a disservice to the songwriting. That's kind of the problem with the earlier Katatonia. Brave Murder Day is really good, too, but hard to rate compared to anything else they've done (aside from Dance of December Souls). It would be interesting to hear an evolution of this sound, but ultimately I am pretty thankful with where the band went throughout their history.

I really just love Katatonia a ton. They're a band that's hard to really put in the upper echelon of bands sometimes, but when I listen to them a bunch and really get into their stuff they remind me of how good they are and have been all these years.

ngower

Hey metal-GAF, hope you can help. A buddy of mine is turning 30 in a few weeks and I'm struggling to think what to get him that carries some substance/significance. He's a huge metal fan (as am I, but of a different sort), so I'm trying to explore options in this realm.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the GWAR tiki mug(s) for him, but they're kind pricey for what they are. He plays bass and guitar, so I thought about maybe a decent pedal or something, but I don't really know much about that aspect of music. I'm wondering if there are other dope ass metal-related gifts that you guys might point me in the direction of? He's more of the stoner metal (Mastodon, Sleep, Kyuss, The Sword, etc) strain if that helps. Budget is like $0-100 but can break if it's a truly bad ass gift.

Hey metal-GAF, hope you can help. A buddy of mine is turning 30 in a few weeks and I'm struggling to think what to get him that carries some substance/significance. He's a huge metal fan (as am I, but of a different sort), so I'm trying to explore options in this realm.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the GWAR tiki mug(s) for him, but they're kind pricey for what they are. He plays bass and guitar, so I thought about maybe a decent pedal or something, but I don't really know much about that aspect of music. I'm wondering if there are other dope ass metal-related gifts that you guys might point me in the direction of? He's more of the stoner metal (Mastodon, Sleep, Kyuss, The Sword, etc) strain if that helps. Budget is like $0-100 but can break if it's a truly bad ass gift.

Get him something Arik Roper related. He does a lot of artwork for that genre, especially Sleep.
Or if you can find the Dopesmoker Weedian figure.
http://www.arikroper.com/shop/

Weedian%2BLeaf%2BEdition%2BVinyl%2BFigure%2Bby%2BArik%2BRoper%2Bx%2BSleep%2Bx%2BUnbox%2BIndustries.jpg

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
dunno if you guys remember but robb flynns house got robbed 6 years ago and 4 guitars were stolen which one was the dimebolt that dimebag gave him. this is amazing :D

wellllll in some freak way he got dimebolt and a un-released Epiphone prototype, back.

When Holly Cherry put a $10 dollar online bid to buy an unclaimed storage unit in San Bernardino, she had no idea what she would find. Tucked away in said storage unit she discovered that it had two electric guitars. So like anyone she went about getting a valuation on them, luckily the un-released Epiphone Signature Series prototype had Robb Flynn’s autograph on the back. Using the Google Translate App to take a photo of the name it eventually pulled up various stories on the theft.

Emailing some photos over to Bryan Kehoe at Jim Dunlop Strings and Pedals (long-time sponsors of Machine Head). Bryan then forwarded the pics to Robb’s high school buddy Craig Locicero who Robb performed with in the band Forbidden before Machine Head who contacted Robb.

Opening the email, Flynn was stunned to find photos of two of the four guitars, including the beloved Dimebolt. Flynn explained, “I’ve had so many false leads over the last 6 years I can’t even tell you, literally hundreds, and while was grateful for everyone’s enthusiasm in helping find them, but I had kind of given up hope.” Adds Flynn, "you can imagine my shock when that email came through and it was really them! I was sitting in our son Wyatt’s gymnastics class waiting for it to start and I blurted out 'HOLY S**T, they found my guitars!' My kids laughed and said 'what what?’”

Contacting Holly, she agreed to meet Robb in Oakland where the guitars were returned, miraculously, in near perfect condition considering they were stolen without a case, and only missing one volume knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcCq1V0OF8g

I haven't really listened to 1349 too much up until last week, but Massive Cauldron of Chaos is hitting me hard. I like their other stuff, but the material on this album is phenomenal. I like just about every element of it, all around an all killer type album.

The cover is intriguing. The white background, the odd choice of font that looks really out of place, the way they put the first letter of each word over the words... what the hell. MCoC? Am I missing something? If it's just to stand out, that works too. It's pretty cool in any case.
SOM749.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYHr8zPjMXc

redlegs87

I've always wanted to be able to get some shirts from my favorite bands but I can never find them in my size. I am 6'4 and wear a 4-5xlt and just can never find metal tshirts in sizes anywhere near that. I would gladly pay a premium to be able to rep some merch from Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kreator just all sorts of bands but alas it seems I am just have no recourse here really.

Nachtmaer

If your buddy's into posters, you could have a look at the stuff Malleus makes. They can be really expensive, but their quality is top notch (handmade and all). Since two Ufomammut members are behind Malleus, they generally do stoner/doom-related stuff.

The missus got me this one a couple of years ago and the shitty picture doesn't do it justice.

I only have Hellfire but any band with Frost on drums is automatically amazing.

He's a monster.

I can't help but think of how Frost and Fenriz were depicted in Until the Light Takes Us. Fenriz was the true black metaller who rejected black metal's use in fashion or pop culture, while Frost accepted or even promoted it. I don't know how valid any of that was, probably not much since Fenriz is such a visible metal historian and promoter.

Fhtagn

At MDF, waiting right now for Repulsion to finish soundchecking...

This set was nuts: their young new-ish drummer fits them so perfectly, they played blazing fast the whole set, the crowd energy was off the charts with constant circle pits and stage dives, and in honor of the 30th anniversary of recording Horrified they did the whole album in order stopping only to do a Motörhead tribute near the end of the set... which they nailed so well that I would be down to hear them do an entire Motörhead covers set.

A short clip of the first song: https://instagram.com/p/BF793T9TUzs/

Not sure how I feel about the new Katatonia. It feels way too loose and wandering for my tastes, but there are moments that I really like. Maybe it will grow on me in time, which is strange. Since I got into them on Tonight's Decision, I've enjoyed all their albums on first until now.

The new Lacuna Coil is enjoyable. The heaviness took me by surprise when I heard "House of Shame", but I'm happy with the direction. It feels fresh for them. They still have the basic Lacuna Coil dynamics, but everything has an edge to it. After a few listens, it feels like their strongest album in quite some time.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The best Black Sabbath album.

220px-SabbathBorn.jpg

I don't care if Gillian isn't a good fit, he has a great voice and this album is MEAN. Might be Black Sabbath's heaviest. Nobody can convince me that this isn't amazing.

MDF was a good time, as always

Highlights:
Demolition Hammer (amazing, against all odds)
Internment (blew me away, hadn't listened to them before and they stomped everyone on the outside stages)
The Afternoon Gentlemen (Best grind band today)
Doom (excellent way to end the fest)
Wormed (indoors set, would've preferred more Planisphaerum but it was fun)
Despise You (tight as fuuuuuck)
Hirax (Very fun)

Mayhem had some sound issues playing DMDS but the last half of the album was sick

Infest was the biggest disappointment. Band was on point as always, Joe (vocalist) was drunk off his ass and was completely off for the entire set. From the first song the guitarist/bassist kept looking at each other saying "this sounds fucking terrible". It was like he just went up there and guessed where the vocals went. It was my 5th time seeing em, every other time has been incredible. Huge bummer

EDIT: Oh shit I forgot Goblin! Incredible set! Hopefully everyone interested had seen the movies they scored because some of their projector imagery straight up spoiled movies lol. Suspiria theme/Tenebre theme/Phenomena theme/Deep Red theme back to back....the stuff of dreams

Fhtagn

Heading back to NY from MDF...

Best sets for me were Repulsion, Mitochondrion, Mayhem, Mystifier, Wormed (both times, but especially indoors playing their hearts out to a sparse-for-deathfest crowd), Interment, Negative Approach.

I missed Despise You because I mistimed getting to the venue. Super bummed.

Haemorrhage was pretty fun! I'm not big on straight forward party-goregrind but I enjoy it live.

I was astonished then pissed off at that Infest performance. I could have done a better job doing an impression of Joe than Joe did. He was too drunk to even know how to play it off by passing the mic to the crowd a lot. Def the worst set I've ever seen from a vocalist; the rest of the band was killing it. I got to talk to Dodge for a bit later and we commiserated a bit about sets that go wrong and the need to solider through despite wanting to walk off.

Mystifier were the surprise of the fest for me. I'm a fan, but I didn't expect them to shred so hard and so fast; their records are on the slower side but they were blazin fast and intense and also clearly having the time of their lives. They said they'd be coming back to America and I hope that means I can catch them at St Vitus...

Mitochondrion is exactly what I want out of modern death/black weird n heavy chaos war metal. They were tight as hell and super heavy with catchy but strange rhythms. Seems they have a new record they are working on... Can't wait!

Melchiah

Mystifier were the surprise of the fest for me. I'm a fan, but I didn't expect them to shred so hard and so fast; their records are on the slower side but they were blazin fast and intense and also clearly having the time of their lives. They said they'd be coming back to America and I hope that means I can catch them at St Vitus...

I was at their gig a couple of years ago, and it was one of the best gigs I've witnessed. Largely because they played their older (and faster) material. A cover of Sarcofago's Nightmare was the icing on the cake. Hopefully there'll be an opportunity to see them play again.

So Temples Festival 2016 (Bristol, UK) has been cancelled.

Patrons of Temples Festival,

After an arduous 48hrs of uncertainty, and with deepest reluctance we have been forced to cancel Temples Festival 2016.

At the beginning of last week, the organisation we had onboard to finance the event pulled their funding, and with limited access to advance ticket sales and no sponsors to back us we have been unable to source the funding required to cover the overheads which would allow Temples Festival to go ahead.

Following Temples 2015, we were left with a sizeable debt and as opposed to dissolving the company and declaring bankruptcy - I decided to take on the debts personally and subsequently pay off all our creditors in instalments as quickly as possible, this meant bands, staff and contractors were all paid late - and it's had a crippling effect on both my professional and personal life as a whole - truth be told, I made a series of bad business decisions and dealt with the situation very poorly - which I take full accountability for.
I've spent the past week trying to gain access to the funds we need to make this year work and avoid the problems we encountered following last year's event, with our financiers pulling their involvement - it's been an uphill battle, which I've fought to the best of my abilities - and unfortunately, have been defeated.

Over the past weekend, I've been attempting to produce the festival's continuation on a 'scaled down' level so we can offer something for those of you who have purchased tickets, accommodation, transport etc and allow the bands who are touring, UK based etc - unfortunately this morning it became clear that even if we were to proceed as such, we'd be left with another huge debt and therefore unable to pay the bands, staff, venue, contractors and a number of other crucial overheads the festival relies on - thus repeating the mistakes that were made last year.

Having already lost in the region of £70,000 throughout Temples Festival's existence - I'm afraid adding more debt to that will simply cripple both myself and the festival, and after such a difficult year it's not an option for me to take on such a huge debt personally.

I am deeply deeply sorry to all of those who will lose out as a result of this decision, having put three years of my life and having already lost so much of it to the festival I'm afraid there is no option to continue with Temples Festival 2016 and I take full responsibility for events cancellation. I am truly sorry.

My intention was always to setup a unique UK festival which books bands who are rarely seen in the UK, I've tirelessly dedicated myself to this event for a long time now and the decision to cancel this year's event has been unequivocally the hardest call I've ever had to make in my life. My sincere apologies to those of you who will lose out as a result of this, I am truly sorry - but I can't face another year of debts & damage.

Thank you to everyone who has actively supported Temples Festival from the start, I launched this ambitious event with the best intentions and unfortunately it's become too damaging for me to oversee single handedly. Although curating the festival is something I've been able to do well - managing the business side of the event has proven too much for me. I've been promoting concerts for half of my life, and those of you who know of the work I've done will hopefully be aware of how upsetting and damaging this decision has been to me on every level.

Our ethos has been No Surrender for the past year, as I was determined to make this festival work and finish what I started. I've worked so hard to make this happen for our Patrons in 2016 but against my will and core beliefs - today's news has forced me to surrender.

Ticket refunds are available from your point of purchase, please contact them for a full refund.

Again, thank you to those of you who have been supporting this event for the past three years - your encouragement and kind words have kept me going through incredibly difficult times and I hope that despite this negative outcome you've at least enjoyed the two events we hosted for you. I'm proud of what was achieved with this event, and if there was any way of making this year work I'd be continuing with the same passion and dedication which oversaw the last two editions of Temples Festival.

With the utmost regret & sincerity,

Francis Mace

- Temples Festival

Well that sucks. I was considering going, but I feel so bad for all the bands, staff and fans that are actually affected. It was just 4 days away too. A logistical catastrophe.

e_i

Nice to see Seventh Wonder alive and kicking. It's hard to believe that "Inner Enemy" came out two years ago.

Heading back to NY from MDF...

Best sets for me were Repulsion, Mitochondrion, Mayhem, Mystifier, Wormed (both times, but especially indoors playing their hearts out to a sparse-for-deathfest crowd), Interment, Negative Approach.

I missed Despise You because I mistimed getting to the venue. Super bummed.

Haemorrhage was pretty fun! I'm not big on straight forward party-goregrind but I enjoy it live.

I was astonished then pissed off at that Infest performance. I could have done a better job doing an impression of Joe than Joe did. He was too drunk to even know how to play it off by passing the mic to the crowd a lot. Def the worst set I've ever seen from a vocalist; the rest of the band was killing it. I got to talk to Dodge for a bit later and we commiserated a bit about sets that go wrong and the need to solider through despite wanting to walk off.

Mitochondrion is exactly what I want out of modern death/black weird n heavy chaos war metal. They were tight as hell and super heavy with catchy but strange rhythms. Seems they have a new record they are working on... Can't wait!

MDF was a good time, as always

Highlights:
Demolition Hammer (amazing, against all odds)
Internment (blew me away, hadn't listened to them before and they stomped everyone on the outside stages)
The Afternoon Gentlemen (Best grind band today)
Doom (excellent way to end the fest)
Wormed (indoors set, would've preferred more Planisphaerum but it was fun)
Despise You (tight as fuuuuuck)
Hirax (Very fun)

Mayhem had some sound issues playing DMDS but the last half of the album was sick

Infest was the biggest disappointment. Band was on point as always, Joe (vocalist) was drunk off his ass and was completely off for the entire set. From the first song the guitarist/bassist kept looking at each other saying "this sounds fucking terrible". It was like he just went up there and guessed where the vocals went. It was my 5th time seeing em, every other time has been incredible. Huge bummer

EDIT: Oh shit I forgot Goblin! Incredible set! Hopefully everyone interested had seen the movies they scored because some of their projector imagery straight up spoiled movies lol. Suspiria theme/Tenebre theme/Phenomena theme/Deep Red theme back to back....the stuff of dreams

Wow, that kinda sucks to hear about Infest. Both times I saw them they were great. Joe did a guest vox on a Magrudergrind song the previous day and he sounded fine.

I was definitely curious about how that second Wormed set went over, considering there's about zero crossover between d-beat and technical brutal death metal. What a weird replacement for a day full of punk.

I was only down there the first two days, and only at the soundstage. For me the best bands of the fest were Disgorge and Repulsion - by the way, the young guy drumming for the latter was Chris Moore, former drummer of Magrudergrind and current drummer of a couple grind/fast as fuck bands. Perfect fit for Repulsion imo.

Would've liked to check out some more bands but I couldn't really justify the additional cost.

What the hell has been going on lately?

I can't remember ANY month that has ever been as terrible on metal as this one. Agalloch and Eluveitie and Dethklok are no more! Ex-Megadeth and ex-Municipal Waste and ex-Bell Witch drummers are dead!

Thanks a lot, May 2016.

Yeah this month has been nuts, and not in a good way. 2016 in general has been particularly brutal. I await the inevitable "Opeth are breaking up" soon, if this year is to go by.

e_i

What the hell has been going on lately?

I can't remember ANY month that has ever been as terrible on metal as this one. Agalloch and Eluveitie and Dethklok are no more! Ex-Megadeth and ex-Municipal Waste and ex-Bell Witch drummers are dead!

Thanks a lot, May 2016.

Eluveitie still alive. Three members quit, the band did not disband. They've had a lot of membership changes over the years.

SwolBro

Banned
Low tier riffs for Gojira. It's a bit more straightforward, and the fact that there are two music videos already speaks to that. I thought their last one was pretty good, but these songs had me turning the volume down.

Seems like songs that the record company wanted out first. I hear from people in the know the rest of the album is better for us real metalheads ;)

i can't wait. my most anticipated album of the year by far

Top Bottom