• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan remake gives Super Mario 64 a fresh look

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9ADXfvnVo
YouTube user aryoksini, also known as Aryok Piñera, is working on a Super Mario 64 remake that tweaks gameplay mechanics and gives Mario an HD upgrade.

Mario's character model is pulled from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, while the remake runs using the Blender Game Engine. In the video above, Piñera shows off a few of the remake's features, which have been updated since his initial video last month. Mario's turning animations are improved and he now has the ability to perform both long jumps and wall jumps.

According to Piñera's Twitch channel, he is a "big fan of Super Mario 64, [and] that's why I'm remaking the game." The developer is currently working on Mario's dive. Future animation updates include Mario's punch, crawl and ground pound. Included in Piñera's short-term goals are working physics, enemy and coins systems and working doors. Other "crazy ideas," which might not be made, include Oculus Rift support, portals and online multiplayer.

For more on the Super Mario 64 remake, check out Piñera's Twitch and YouTube channels.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/15/5512138/fan-remake-gives-super-mario-64-a-fresh-look

Frumix

Suffering From Success
No, don't reveal work in progress until it's 95% done!
Haven't you learned anything people?

Alienous

In terms of achieving what he wants to achieve, he's nowhere.

Good practice for his future game projects, though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Cool project, but the art style of that Mario model doesn't work with that game, IMO.

fernoca

Looks..kinda weird. I appreciate the work and the effort. But Super Mario Galaxy already had a remake of a stage from 64. Why not pull the assets from there?

clubstoic

Banned
It looks realistic, and he looks like a moving toy. It demonstrates how hard it must be to match the art style and textures with the proper look.

Obviously the visuals are crap, but as the guy says himself, this is not indicative of the final look. He got the engine working, which I guess is the point of showing it off.

I'd have waited till I had something that didn't look so bad before showing anyone. People are going to bash the crap out of it because of how it looks.

Timeaisis

If by remake he means getting a making some Mario physics simulator, sure.

Should've waited until he was close to done. This is a prototype.

botty

Banned
It's hideous. Reminds me of the Brawl style without the soul and charm. It also finds a way to take the ugliest aesthetic about last gen and lather it on hard.

pa22word

Hey guys it's almost if this game just started development or something.

Threads like this are the reason why we get bullshit "Alphas" running on twin titans and high end i7s at E3, ffs guys...

Anth0ny

jHhDoK9.jpg

iuMYAKB.jpg

OaPMq9o.jpg

A Mario 64 HD remake should look like this, nothing more, nothing less.

Sentenza

I expected a Mario 64 that looked like Galaxy, and I got one that somehow looks like the Thing from Carpenter's movie.

Dmented

Banned
Obviously the visuals are crap, but as the guy says himself, this is not indicative of the final look. He got the engine working, which I guess is the point of showing it off.

I'd have waited till I had something that didn't look so bad before showing anyone. People are going to bash the crap out of it because of how it looks.

And IMO those people are pretty fucking dumb.

cameron

Gritty Mario is gritty.

If the fan coded all the game mechanics, then that's pretty impressive. The art assets appears to be a placeholder.

eXistor

I hate to shit on fan projects, but this is ugly as shit and devoid of any charm.

/edit: oh apparently this is placeholder? Why even show it then? You know people are gonna bash it on looks (and rightly so imo). If he's gonna do a 100% graphical overhaul this is gonna take a few more years I bet.

pa22word

Apparently he should have just rendered it all in wireframe because apparently the posters of gaf have trouble understanding what "work in progress" actually means in game development due to decades of AAA E3 reveal trailers bullshitting them.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I appreciate what he's done here. It works well and it's obviously not going to match the quality of a released game made by some of the best developers in the world.

But aesthetically it's horrible.

Top Bottom