• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight: one of the most repulsive scenes I've ever played

SOLDIER

I'll let the clip speak for itself (starts at 6:25).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdu1NdEs15g

Edit: Cliff Notes:

You engage in a boss fight with the clearly-good witch and defeat her, in which the other witch revels in her victory and proceeds to:

1. Order you to stab her in the mouth
2. Orders you to decapitate her in the slowest, most painful way possible
3. Begins kicking her until she pukes blood
4. Makes fun of her for puking blood
5. Decides at the last minute not to cut her head off, as she devises "a fate worse than death"
6. Turns her into a mouse
7. Summons up a gang of male mice so that they can proceed to rape her in mouse form (it doesn't actually happen, but still)
8. Upon fleeing the rape mice, is then killed by the witch's servant
9. Is later served as a fried dish so the witch can then eat her (she feeds it to you instead)
10. And all this within moments of being told that she was, in fact, the witch's mother
11. The witch did not give any fucks

Supposedly there's a tragic backstory behind the witch that may justify her actions but....actually, no, I can't think of a single thing to justify this kind of stuff. In fact I can't even muster the will to keep playing after that. The character is intensely unlikeable and wholly irredeemable at this point. I even thought I had unlocked some sort of Bad End since it shortly played to credits, but apparently that was part of the joke as the story is still chugging along.

I would expect this kind of thing in an adult Visual Novel, not a freaking NIS game.

I don't even care what the backstory is behind this, the main character is already an irredeemable monster at this point.

What's worse is that they play this whole thing with the cutesy Disgaea aesthetic, as if trying to convince you it was all lighthearted fun.

This makes MGS5 Ground Zeroes'
surgery scene
tame by comparison.

Was this recorded with a broken capture card? I had to quit the video two minutes in.

fdIlcuZ.jpg

Ken

So basically
she turns her mom into a mouse, summons horny male mice to chase her, her mom gets caught by another character and cooked and is eaten by the Hundred Knight.

I found the page-turning sound and VA was harder to stomach.

I know nothing about this game. But judging how both girls, especially the girl on the left, in the conversation that starts around 8:00 are dressed, this "repulsiveness" doesn't come as too surprising.

Ken

I mean, if the writer's purpose was to paint Metallia as an "irredeemable monster" than I guess it worked?

Doombacon

Implied rat intercourse is more repulsive to you than someone digging around in an open chest cavity? I guess you're entitled to your opinion on this one but a lot of people are probably going to disagree with you...

am i bad for saying that this only slightly shocked me? like in "oh, that's a bit more filthy than in most other games" and then laugh with it?

i mean, it's a game, it's not real, it shows the evil of 1 character, so it does its job reasonably well

Salsa

it's been so long since I even cared about fucking up a villain, I wish games went further to be honest

Evilisk

So basically
she turns her mom into a mouse, summons horny male mice to chase her, her mom gets caught by another character and cooked and is eaten by the Hundred Knight.

Actually considering that the servant doesn't seem all that loyal/is more deceptive from what happened at the end of the video, maybe he might even be lying about the latter part.

Other than that though, pretty much this

I can already see that page turning is going to be really annoying when I finally get the game. VA's got a good laugh though.

SOLDIER

Implied rat intercourse is more repulsive to you than someone digging around in an open chest cavity? I guess you're entitled to your opinion on this one but a lot of people are probably going to disagree with you...

The difference is that the MGS scene is wholly intentional in creating unease and tension. The visuals and audio completely match the tone they were trying to convey.

This game shows this whole sequence utilizing the cutesy cartoon aesthetics in Disgaea, as if you were supposed to find the whole thing amusing. That just makes it worse because it was both unexpected as well as unapologetic.

Salsa

This game shows this whole sequence utilizing the cutesy cartoon aesthetics in Disgaea, as if you were supposed to find the whole thing amusing.

eh, I mean, it's not like the game is gonna change art styles just for a scene

there's room for shit to turn dark in stuff like this, I think that's even the point. Disgaea isnt precisely a kid's game

not a fan tho

Ken

This game shows this whole sequence utilizing the cutesy cartoon aesthetics in Disgaea, as if you were supposed to find the whole thing amusing.

I don't understand this complaint. It's the same unchanged style of character portraits they go with for every other scene in that video. Now if they chibi-fied the portraits or something just for this scene then sure, you'd have a valid point but otherwise I must be missing something here.

I feel kind of bad because this has made me more interested in this game. There aren't too many games in this style where the protagonist (I'm guessing) is so over the top evil.

The difference is that the MGS scene is wholly intentional in creating unease and tension. The visuals and audio completely match the tone they were trying to convey.

This game shows this whole sequence utilizing the cutesy cartoon aesthetics in Disgaea, as if you were supposed to find the whole thing amusing. That just makes it worse because it was both unexpected as well as unapologetic.

I'm not sure the player is supposed to find the scene amusing, as in funny. It's more to show how vile the main character is?

Coxy

it appears to be a bad ending? If so it's hardly anything compared to the worst ending of Disgaea 2
you kill and eat the children characters, not necessarily in that order

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Loved how over the top mean she is, that actually got me interested. At least they're fully dedicated to make her a complete bastard. Is that the protagonist ? Don't know too much about the game tbh.

Haunted

But that animu character looks like she's 10 years old with a skimpy outfit, big tits and a hilariously amateurish VA so it's not like you can take anything about this seriously in the first place.

page-turning didn't bother me. but how anyone can seriously prefer these 4th-rate voice dubs to just playing with the original dub plus subs is beyond me. they're friggin' horrible...

afa the 'subject matter', yeah, i think it was pretty cheap/tasteless. nis used to be a little more clever than this...

Zomba13

just looks like an evil character being evil to me

This. The character seems like an evil character and the proceeds to do evil and vile things to another character who is implied (or told) to be good. Bad guys gonna bad guy.

And I don't get all the hoo ha about the GZ stuff to be honest. Maybe it's because I feel no sympathy towards that character because of their actions in Peace Walker.

ArjanN

It sounds bad in written form but the delivery makes it only about half as shocking as a South Park episode.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As said, in written form it sounds horrid, but honestly, in the game's form, as there's nothing really graphic, the writing is ehhhhh, the voicing is okay at best, and just a lot of other factors, it doesn't really come off as anything.

Maybe I'm more desensitized as too many horror movies, but also I guess it didn't strike me as one of the most repulsive things ever.

Why can't nis find decent actors? Are they even looking? Try checking out community theaters or college drama departments. You guys need help badly.

Jawmuncher

OPs description made it sounds way worse than it is in game.
Which leads me to believe we need a TWHK vn in the darker tone that the OP presented.

Lucent

As said, in written form it sounds horrid, but honestly, in the game's form, as there's nothing really graphic, the writing is ehhhhh, the voicing is okay at best, and just a lot of other factors, it doesn't really come off as anything.

Maybe I'm more desensitized as too many horror movies, but also I guess it didn't strike me as one of the most repulsive things ever.

Yeah pretty much. That sounded really shocking when it was described, but actually seeing it was like...it didn't seem like a big deal.

Top Bottom