• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PAL] Recently released box arts (dial-up warning: lots of images)

No wonder they look like budget game covers from the eighties, some of them actually ARE!

streetwarriorbig.jpg
joe_blade_ii.jpg

Merlin

Banned
animalsoccerworldbig.jpg

Is it just me or is there a lot of adult humour in this one that the kids would miss? :lol Look at the two on the right, the two at the bottom and where the lion is kicking.

MadFuzzy

Diablos said:
Who let these guys make games :lol

Aren't you glad that the SCEA "approval process" saves you from great games like this? SCEE apparently aren't allowed to have one like SCEA because of EU competition law (said Edge a while back) and that's why anyone can pretty much publish anything in Europe on PS2.

Merlin

Banned
But the thing is I NEVER actually see any of these budget games for sale anywhere! That's what makes it all the more odd.

Vashu

I've seen several of those games being sold (well, I don't think people actually buy this rip-off crap) in a few great store-chains over here in the Netherlands. When I first saw that Dalmatians thing, my god I nearly laughed my ass off. It's strange though, you can clearly see it's a Disney rip-off, yet there still hasn't been done anything against this kind of blatant plagiarism.

Not to the mention the fact that crap like this should be banned for life.

Merlin

Banned
Vashu said:
It's strange though, you can clearly see it's a Disney rip-off, yet there still hasn't been done anything against this kind of blatant plagiarism.

And a lot of the boxarts are from old C64/spectrum/amstrad games with that blurry one (dead eye..) looking like it was taken straight from a Google image search (blurry jpeg) They're definitely walking on a thin line.

jamesinclair said:
sonofthelionkingbig.jpg

Includes cartoon movie? WTF I need to see this.

The most amazing thing about that is that they don't need a license from Disney at all to make it. All the characters have strange names, so its not a complete copy of Lion King. Even though it has LK in its name and the characters look very similar (although Simba looks stoned).

R0nn

NotMSRP said:
Are PAL GBA boxes like the US GBA boxes? Same dimensions? Same cardboard? Not plastic boxes?

Yes, they are cardbox as well. I got a US copy of FFIV Advance, and it hardly looks different from the PAL ones. The only difference is that the PAL ones are sealed off better at the bottom end.

NDS boxes are more different. The PAL ones are thicker and transparant instead of black. They also miss the logo of the game on the side. Instead, they all got a white background with a standard font which displays the title of the game.

There's even a difference in DVD cases (and thereby console boxes). The way they're sealed is different.

Vashu

Ok, so I just found out that publisher calling themselves Phoenix is actually a Dutch company! Wtf?!! I feel so dirty and ashamed right now! :(

http://www.phoenixgamesgroup.com They call themselves the Super Budget Publisher. Which should explain a lot. XD

Anyway, that Furry Tales is actually a strategy-game, too bad there are no screenshots available for DeadEye Jim. :D

NotMSRP

Thanks.

The only difference is that the PAL ones are sealed off better at the bottom end.

There's even a difference in DVD cases (and thereby console boxes). The way they're sealed is different.
pics of these too?

Danj

gogogow said:
Oh noooooos!!!!
Why Konami why??!!
The MGSaga DVD should have been included with Subsistence.........

mgs3snakeeaterplatinumboxart.jpg

What I don't get is why it mentions Online on the box? I mean, the non-Subsistence MGS3 doesn't have online, does it? But yeah, I agree, the MGSaga disc should have been included with Subsistence, whenever that actually ends up coming out...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Question of the day: Is the US ever getting OZ, now that it's been ported to PAL? I would really like to finally play the damn game. I could always just buy a budget copy when I move to Japan, but I want to play it in english. :|

Vashu

Dr Zhivago said:
I think you could download new camo patterns.

Indd, there were a few camo's you could download. Have to check again to see if they are still available and if there are any new ones.

Danj

Vashu said:
Indeed, there were a few camo's you could download. Have to check again to see if they are still available and if there are any new ones.

Bleh, and they get allowed to use "online" for that? There ought to be a distinction between "downloadable content" and "online multiplayer" :(

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
TehOh said:
It's to house those f'ing massive instruction booklets (printing them in 4 languages makes your books big fast). :lol

Sadly we get some of those shitboxes over here in Australia, so now my collection of games has both sorts of boxes and looks like rubbish. :/

sol_bad

My copy of Mario Kart DS has a red spine with white text. The top half white for the DS logo. At the bottom is the ugly as sin GIANT GREEN ratings logo.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is that a new Aquanox, or the old one ported?

Aquanox was an almost good game for the PC. It was the sequel to the Archimedean Dynasty, which was a fantastic elite-like game... except it took place entirely underwater.

Aquanox was far too scripted... none of the open-endedness of AD. More of a Wing-Commander rip-off. If this is a new iteration of the series, I hope it gets back to it's roots.

Review of AD:
http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=ad&page=1

ram

its a complete new game with a new cinematic story. but i fear, that the game will never be released. because it was orignally scheduled for 2004 and in 2005 their office was closed by publisher jowood.

Top Bottom