• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where to buy a great mattress without dealing with the shitty mattress industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

so ive been sleeping on a shitty mattress for years now, this thread has convinced me to buy a new mattress. Cant decide between the casper or tuft. I would prefer something slightly firm for my back(back and neck problems galore) Can anyone who owns either of these chime in with more thoughts? thanks in advance
The Casper is a super firm mattress when you are laying down. I sink in a bit sitting up when I am putting more weight on one spot though.

Also for getting rid of the old mattress/box spring, throw it on the free section of Craigslist. I had like 5 people emailing me 5 minutes later asking when could they pick it up.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Anyone know what stores have the best black friday sales on mattresses? I'm on a tight budget.

Also before I said I want nothing to do with memory foam anymore, but I dunno about that....if the memory foam mattress I have now were firmer (and didn't absorb heat so much) I'd probably be happy with it. I just sink in to it too much. When I'm lying on my side I feel like I'm sinking in 5 inches or so and that's just too much for me.

i should probably get a new mattress soon. the one i have now is about 8 years old. i'm interested in the tuft and needle and casper, but i'm not sure if the firmness will work for me. i've been sleeping on a serta pillow top mattress for the last 8 years.

Jonm1010

Banned
I bought a Casper about three months ago after a long and agonizing search for a new mattress and I couldn't be happier about it.

demon

Is there anywhere you can try a Casper without ordering one? Or is there mattress you can find at a store that feels very similar? I've got a memory foam mattress that I think is on the softer end of MF mattresses, which I don't like, and I wonder how a Casper compares.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
That's not necessarily true. A mattress costing more isn't really an indicator of how much you'd like it. There really isn't a "best" mattress if you look at it that way.

Pretty God damn sure Tempur-Pedic is the best mattress on the market & they cost the most.

goataroo

Neo Member
Just ordered my Casper after months (and months) of deliberation. I'm not expecting a miracle bed or anything, but it was nice to buy a mattress without having to deal with a mattress store. We shall see how the bed itself is once that arrives. If anyone else is thinking of buying one and wants to save $50 in the process, let me know. I can PM you a referral code.

flyover

Just ordered my Casper after months (and months) of deliberation. I'm not expecting a miracle bed or anything, but it was nice to buy a mattress without having to deal with a mattress store. We shall see how the bed itself is once that arrives. If anyone else is thinking of buying one and wants to save $50 in the process, let me know. I can PM you a referral code.

Hope it works out for you! I've been using my Casper for a couple of weeks, now. I'm still not totally used to it -- honestly, it still feels a little weird compared to any other mattress I've owned (most recently memory foam on a spring mattress) -- and yet I'm sleeping better than I ever have.

It feels really firm, overall. Whenever I lie down, I think it's going to be too firm to sleep . And yet it always gives just enough where the pressure is highest, so that there's no uncomfortable position. I fall asleep fast, and I don't shift much during the night. I woke up a little sore after the first night, but not since. One of the things I like about it is that it doesn't heat up too much, unlike memory foam.

I'm really glad I got it, so far. Only two caveats. First, it stinks. At least mine did. It's still got a strong smell to it. I'm washing my sheets every two or three nights and letting the bed breathe during the day, and only now (after two weeks) has it really begun to fade. Second, if you share your bed with someone else, and if you're used to memory foam, the Casper may make your (or their) movements feel more conspicuous. It's not noisy, just a little bouncier.

Do any of you guys that have Casper mattresses have one of those referral codes I could use? My wife and I have decided to go with that and give it a shot.

demon

So I got a pretty good mattress that I like on sale, and it's a pretty firm one, which I think I need, but it's not a pillow-top and I could use a little more cushion. I'm looking at mattress toppers and I'm eying this one which has good reviews and is only $55, a few people are saying it knots up at the seams of each square though. I looked at a few others that are more expensive and have more cushion, like a layer of foam, but I don't want anything that I'm going to sink into too much. Any good recommendations on Amazon?

gimmmick

Bumping this thread that I searched on google

Me and my wife have been in the market for a new bed. The podcast I listen too (pod save america) always advertises helix mattress. Anyone ever used these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom