• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 Thread

EVIL

Ooh this will be fun. Will definitely be subscribing.

Does UE4 already have integration with Oculus? Just asking since I preordered the DK2.

Told my friend about this and he's excited as hell since C++ is the main language he learned in college as a computer science major.

Can't wait till we start working on some stuff together!!

Also, I want to make sure, UE plays well with perforce correct?

There is some basic setup for Oculus in the source code. Its in beta stages but you can enable it.
Here is the wiki page for oculus:
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Oculus_Rift

and this is a video someone made that shows off how it looks like in one of the UE4 demo scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQy1ryw6kcg&hd=1

Im not a programmer,but can I download some kind of benchmark just to see the awesome SFX of the engine on my Pc?

Not really. You can download some example projects for UE4 in their market place but its only accessible to UE4 users

edit: or Prophet Steve is a sweetheart and packages it. You can use your own FPS counter of choice to get a grasp on performance.

Why don't people wrap some of those tech demos in am executable for us to look at m

Im not a programmer,but can I download some kind of benchmark just to see the awesome SFX of the engine on my Pc?

I'll package the examples that come with it unless somebody has found those already uploaded. Not including any FPS counter or settings or anything. Give me some time.

Which I assume is allowed since you could use them for your own projects. Somebody warn me if I am making a mistake here.

EVIL

Which I assume is allowed since you could use them for your own projects. Somebody warn me if I am making a mistake here.

From their FAQ:
What kinds of products can I release under the Unreal Engine 4 subscription plan?

You can release any product that is allowed by law, with the exception of gambling applications and certain safety-critical control systems described in the EULA.

You can release games, demos, simulations, architectural showcases, etc.

The only parts of the Unreal Engine you can’t release to the general public are the source code and tools or modifications to them; these components may only be distributed to other licensees with access to the same version of the Unreal Engine.

So it looks like you are good to go! If you have any doubts, You can always PM the user UnrealEngine here on gaf

Uploading the files now, will take some time.

One is the fly-through reflections demo.

And the other one is the multiplayer demo with a map for free 4 all and team deatchmatch, which also has some settings. Will update this post when they are done with uploading, might also be an hour or so for both are done.

I also did Epic settings for both, so it probably won't run all too well.

EDIT: 7z instead of zip for the MP demo. As it is huge and the zip file is way bigger.

EDIT 2:

First demo uploaded:

7HMOU.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hz077brxd1xx11t/Reflections.zip

I am aware the resolution is low. I might change things tonight, see if you can walk around or something and maybe have some resolution option, but I doubt I will.

EDIT 3:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/92l9gmiuiq3d3ja/MP_Demo.7z
7 ZIP ONLY. Team Deathmatch and Free 4 All have different maps.

Everything still seems blurry though.

EDIT 3:

And another one, this one is supposed to be for mobile devices also 7-zip only:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/abkt7lt230bzkvn/Temple_Mobile.7z

cyen

So.. can i just downloads UE4 and upload the files to test my computer performance? I bet CFX inst working.

Xater

There are a few free projects on there from Epic that you can use for your own purposes, but no, not at all.

There is still a lot of upcoming content of them and it does has a marketplace, but users cannot yet upload stuff to there so there is probably still coming a lot of development on that part.

EDIT: Here, some screencaps of everything what you can find now:

They seriously made a 2D Flappy Bird clone with UE4? lol

Uploading the files now, will take some time.

One is the fly-through reflections demo.

And the other one is the multiplayer demo with a map for free 4 all and team deatchmatch, which also has some settings. Will update this post when they are done with uploading, might also be an hour or so for both are done.

I also did Epic settings for both, so it probably won't run all too well.

EDIT: 7z instead of zip for the MP demo. As it is huge and the zip file is way bigger.

EDIT 2:

First demo uploaded:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hz077brxd1xx11t/Reflections.zip

I am aware the resolution is low. I might change things tonight, see if you can walk around or something and maybe have some resolution option, but I doubt I will.

They seriously made a 2D Flappy Bird clone with UE4? lol

Yup, and apparently this person uploaded it for your enjoyment:

Here's the SwingNinja (2d game) example for Windows: http://kolmone.kapsi.fi/SwingNinja.zip

Hope it works, haven't tested on anything but the computer that has UE installed.

Now go check out that graphical powerhouse that is Unreal Engine 4.

No, that is why I mentioned there were no settings and that the resolution is low. I'll look later tonight, and the MP demo will support it (but looks less good), but for now you will have to do with this.

Wait so we can download the Elemental Demo?!!

A bit further up I made screencaps of what projects are shared by Epic.

Elemental Demo is in the coming soon part.

Anyone know if UE is good for 2D as well? Unity is getting betterin this regard.

I think it has a default 2D template and it does contain the Flappy Bird game, so it probably is a lot better than UDK, haven't tried it out though.

Ianan

Been playing around with it for a few hours now with the existing demos. Really impressed with it, I changed over to Unity about a year ago but now I'm considering going back to Unreal. Blueprint is pretty nice, basically kismet but better in some ways from what I'm seeing.

Not sure if I would prefer this over Unity for 2D games yet, need to play around with it more.

Nah, that's not the Flappy Bird clone. Should upload it, though!

Oh whoops, forgot there was a different 2D game. Not going to upload it right now, going to have dinner soon.

Also have a self-controlled flythrough version of the Reflections demo now. But I want to see how to include some basic options like the MP demo has before I do anything with it.

sirap

Any ideas for a good "Simulator" game? I'm transitioning from CE3 to UE4 because of the blueprint system (I'm an artist by trade, pants at programming)

The recently funded Bear Simulator kickstarter looks cool, something similar would be a great project for me to learn the ropes.

RCSI

A few console commands for those curious, available by pressing ~

fullscreen (switches between fullscreen and window mode)
Setres [#x#] ex: setres 1920x1080
Stat FPS: Shows FPS and millisecond info

highresshot [#] saves an image of your view in a bmp file, however, it seems to crash packaged levels
ex:
Set resolution: 1920x1080
highresshot 1 1920x1080
highresshot 2 3840x2160
highresshot 4 7680x4320

travel [levelname] ex: The multiplayer demo, "travel sanctuary"

Anyone else toying with the idea od getting this for 1 month and then ending subscription till later on?

I like the changes and I am thinking about giving it a shot but it will be ages till I actually get anything. Need to find some likeminded people to team with. :D

Define "likeminded people" :) ... I've just subscribed and am planning on un-subscribing next month, and then only re-subbing when I've got something decent assembled that actually NEEDS new features.

And just like that, Epic has the prettiest FPS on the market :)

Raide

Define "likeminded people" :) ... I've just subscribed and am planning on un-subscribing next month, and then only re-subbing when I've got something decent assembled that actually NEEDS new features.

People who like the idea of making a game but suck at programming. :D Miught just get this to mess around with.

How empty or full is the current marketplace? Also, most importantly, is it very restrictive towards user generated assets or does Epic appear to be as open to content as Unity's asset store? Unity assets can get accepted into the store within hours.

It's so much more beneficial and time saving to have the variety of shaders, templates, prefabs, etc. that users' contribute because the community knows best what the community wants, so skipping the red tape and getting assets into the marketplace will increase users and decrease dev time.

The more user generated content there is, the less tutorials (time spent by devs) needed by Epic. User-made assets tend to be so much easier and customizable - going by Unity store as example.

Why spend hours figuring out how to make a object-based toon shader, because Unreal 4 just has full screen post effect toon effect, when you can simply drag in userBob's brilliant customizable toon shader from the Marketplace.

So how is the Markteplace and will it be as open to users as Unity's?

drexplora

I think the packages should just work, this is how you would normally release a game unless I did something wrong.

tried the MP demo and it didn't run.
said the shortcut was missing the exe or w/e.
Went in the binaries folder and tried that exe which also didn't work, missing MV something dll.

gonna try reflections now.

feenin for some UE4 action lol

Which VS version are you using? Need to download some redistributable package to run the other 2 demos.

I pretty much have every VS express version, but it needs 2013 Express. for the compiling. I was hoping it would do that automatically though.

Gonna be learning C++ over the next month. How hard is it to get used to this after learning C++?

Well, the coding is C++, unless you mean how easy it is to use outside of the coding. I suppose easy?

A few console commands for those curious, available by pressing ~

fullscreen (switches between fullscreen and window mode)
Setres [#x#] ex: setres 1920x1080
Stat FPS: Shows FPS and millisecond info

highresshot [#] saves an image of your view in a bmp file, however, it seems to crash packaged levels
ex:
Set resolution: 1920x1080
highresshot 1 1920x1080
highresshot 2 3840x2160
highresshot 4 7680x4320

Ah, thank you for that, won't mess with graphics options then. If anyone really wants the ability to control the Reflection scene themselves say so and I will upload it, but otherwise I won't bother.

Hah :D My brain just does not get programming. I never have the patience to sit down and learn it.

Well, you could try to work with the Blueprint stuff.

How empty or full is the current marketplace? Also, most importantly, is it very restrictive towards user generated assets or does Epic appear to be as open to content as Unity's asset store? Unity assets can get accepted into the store within hours.

It's so much more beneficial and time saving to have the variety of shaders, templates, prefabs, etc. that users' contribute because the community knows best what the community wants, so skipping the red tape and getting assets into the marketplace will increase users and decrease dev time.

The more user generated content there is, the less tutorials (time spent by devs) needed by Epic. User-made assets tend to be so much easier and customizable - going by Unity store as example.

Why spend hours figuring out how to make a object-based toon shader, because Unreal 4 just has full screen post effect toon effect, when you can simply drag in userBob's brilliant customizable toon shader from the Marketplace.

So how is the Markteplace and will it be as open to users as Unity's?

I have screencapped the entirety of the Marketplace a few posts ago. There are definitely plans for more though.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105584450&postcount=35

tried the MP demo and it didn't run.
said the shortcut was missing the exe or w/e.
Went in the binaries folder and tried that exe which also didn't work, missing MV something dll.

gonna try reflections now.

feenin for some UE4 action lol

Hmn, that is unexpected, don't think I can do something about that.

drexplora

yup MSVCR120.dll missing
reflections wont work either.

:(

That means you need to have Unreal engine 4 installed for them to work?

Raxious

Ok, so I asked this question in the other topic as well.

I have a couple of tree's and such in a .upk file that I use in UE3, am I able to use those things in UE4 as well? Cause when I click on import the .upk file is not showing up.

drexplora

thx, will try!

Shooter Demo works now!
The shortcut in the main folder still don't work, but the .exe in the binaries folder works fine now.

Thank You All!!

There is some basic setup for Oculus in the source code. Its in beta stages but you can enable it.
Here is the wiki page for oculus:
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Oculus_Rift

and this is a video someone made that shows off how it looks like in one of the UE4 demo scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQy1ryw6kcg&hd=1

Not really. You can download some example projects for UE4 in their market place but its only accessible to UE4 users

edit: or Prophet Steve is a sweetheart and packages it. You can use your own FPS counter of choice to get a grasp on performance.

Well the Rift support is already in and enabled by default in the default player controller. If you have a Rift and you're using the default player controller, just plug in your Rift, fullscreen it on the Rift and it should just work (automatically does the necessary rendering changes when it detects you have it full screen on the Rift).

However, the default controller has both movement and view in the same direction, meaning you move where you look. There's code on the Wiki for creating a custom player/player controller which allows you to separate move and view, which is what you really want for the Rift. By default though the Rift "just works".

thx, will try!

Shooter Demo works now!
The shortcut in the main folder still don't work, but the .exe in the binaries folder works fine now.

Thank You All!!

Might not have a relative shortcut, made it myself so people did not have to dig down deep, but was being a bit lazy.

EVIL

Still doesnt work, the mobile demo tells me the following:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)"

and the reflections one needs that DLL, but I installed visual studio from your link, rebooted and it still doesnt work.

drexplora

relfections wont work for me either.
Guessing its cause its a 32bit exe compared to the shooter which is 64bit.
I only installed the 64bit version of the C++ Redistributable

vio

Tried reflections and multiplayer demo.
Both run quite bad (560gtx), looks like sub 30fps. Not really great considering how simple these demos are. Reflections seem to have huge impact on fps. Also, default post effects make everything very fuzzy even at 1080p.

drexplora

gotta find a way to get the shooter to run at 4:3 resolutions.

tried editing the gameusersettings ini in the WindowsnoEditor folder but that didn't seem to work :p

Tried reflections and multiplayer demo.
Both run quite bad (560gtx), looks like sub 30fps. Not really great considering how simple these demos are. Reflections seem to have huge impact on fps. Also, default post effects make everything very fuzzy even at 1080p.

Everything is on "Epic" settings, there is a quality setting in the multiplayer demo but I don't know exactly what it does. You would normally turn down the settings in a normal game.

I really don't know what is up with the fuzzyness, I am not sure whether it is done with processing or whether it is upscaling or something. I'll see whether I see a post processing setting.

vio

Everything is on "Epic" settings, there is a quality setting in the multiplayer demo but I don't know exactly what it does. You would normally turn down the settings in a normal game.

I really don't know what is up with the fuzzyness, I am not sure whether it is done with processing or whether it is upscaling or something. I'll see whether I see a post processing setting.

I think low settings turn off reflections and any post processing. Thanks for the uploads anyway. Much appreciated!!

Blizzard

Banned
Try looking for FXAA, TXAA, or something similar. I imagine at the very least they have blurring and temporal effects. Since it's deferred, do they even support MSAA?

Top Bottom