• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Samyy

Hope that Nylander falls to you.

jb1IQr0UbIpk8h.png

He's small and skilled though so the Leafs won't draft him

zroid

Banned
it would've been great if we had a few extra games in hand...

imagine ending the season with 18 straight losses

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131231001147/pffanon/images/1/1c/Scared-gif.gif[iMG]

Put down the bottle Kuro, I never wanted the goddamn 3rd line fucking centre >=(.
Oh and our best hope for scoring depth is probably Leivo, yea.
Granberg isn't a scoring prospect - hes an okay defence prospect, as are Stuart Percy, Matt Fin.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big fan of Percy's. Won't put up points in the NHL, but he's a smart defenseman.

Razorskin

----- ------
FINALLY Leafs-GAF HAVE COME BACK.......to the off-season thread which means FINALLY Leafs-GAF HAVE COME BACK.......home

HOW'S LIFE ON THE GOLF COURSE BROTHER?

LET ME TELL YOU BROTHER EVEN ROB FORD COULDN'T HANDLE THE BLOW BEING DISHED OUT TO THE LEAFS AT THE HANDS OF THEIR OPPONENTS.

yyzjohn

Banned
This thread is dominated by Leafs fans. We're not the only ones out, but we're the only ones who take public floggings. :-/

Here's Oshimai's post from the real NHL thread

( ; _ ;)

There's a poll halfway down the page. So far, it seems like a resounding yes. I'm curious why some people want to keep Carlyle as the head coach. Because, after watching HBO's 24/7 for the Leafs/Wings Winter Classic, it doesn't seem like Carlyle and the rest of the team jell very well.

For reasons unknown to us amongst the hoi polloi, the media has treated Carlyle with ultra-soft mittens since he was hired. It might be that they took him in immediately as 'their guy' because of the nasty relationship they had with Ron Wilson.

The best thing any Leafs fan can do right now is ignore any sports writer that openly slags advanced stats. Not that adv. stats are beyond any dispute, but the guys who did this have outed themselves as complete and utter morons who have barely any idea of what they're talking about. Damien Cox, Steve Simmons, Mark Spector etc.

Samyy

I'm a big fan of Percy's. Won't put up points in the NHL, but he's a smart defenseman.

Yep and hes played really well in the AHL, used in all situations. A smart defenseman is exactly what we need, hoping he can be a solid #3-4 guy for us in the future.

Here's Oshimai's post from the real NHL thread

( ; _ ;)

For reasons unknown to us amongst the hoi polloi, the media has treated Carlyle with ultra-soft mittens since he was hired. It might be that they took him in immediately as 'their guy' because of the nasty relationship they had with Ron Wilson.

The best thing any Leafs fan can do right now is ignore any sports writer that openly slags advanced stats. Not that adv. stats are beyond any dispute, but the guys who did this have outed themselves as complete and utter morons who have barely any idea of what they're talking about. Damien Cox, Steve Simmons, Mark Spector etc.

Bruce Arthur also said that hes alienated several players in the locker room, "as Carlyle tends to do" - which confuses me. Why would you bring in a guy that you know alienates players when you have a lot of youth in the locker room? Seems kind of stupid, and it cost us some good players already.

zroid

Banned
Bruce Arthur also said that hes alienated several players in the locker room, "as Carlyle tends to do" - which confuses me. Why would you bring in a guy that you know alienates players when you have a lot of youth in the locker room? Seems kind of stupid, and it cost us some good players already.

That's the sort of thing which tends to happen when you're forced to hire a coach mid-season.

I don't see any way Carlyle sticks around for next year but hopefully the club keeps him around until they have the time to actually find someone who can give this team some much-needed direction.

Hello friends, welcome Leafs.

Welp this is another season to burn the records for, but there have been some positives.

-Yormark gone. The greatest news of the past decade for Panther fans. Seeing the clown twin gone and his constant embarrassment is the largest culture change this org will recieve. This also Gives Tallon more control over hockey ops and gets the front office focused on one thing: getting a successful club.

- Kids are all right- Everyone thought Bjugstad would spend the year in the minors after his 11 game stint last season but goddamn. The kid is a 6-6 monster. Someone who I can definetly see as a premier power forward in the league. When he wants to drive to the new there isn't much that can stop the Bjuggernaut. He just needs to learn when is the best time to do that.
Depth wise Trocheck is another beast coming through rising far above his 3rd round pedigree. He's strong on the skates, great two way play, and good in the dot. He's the future 3C. Shore continues his great play and guys like Howden look ready to make the jump to the big league. Since we acquired Pirri he's been very good but I honestly do not see him as a centerman in this league, he done his best on the wing and IMO he cannot beat any of our 3 guys as a centerman.

-Aleksander the great- Simply put Barkov is the best prospect to ever come in the system. The kid is unlike any other I've seen. His game is insanely mature, not only for his age but overall. Speaking of his age, the youngest player in the league does not back down to a challange. He seems at his best when he takes on the best assignments. His D game is already above average and his offense was breaking out untill his knee injury. He was 11pts in 12 games and on an 8 game pt streak when he went down. He's going to be one of the best and with him ,Bjugstad, and Trocheck we will not need to talk centerman for the next decade +.

Luuuuuu- Luongo back! The biggest move this season. Glad to have home home and in a way redemption for how he left because of Keenan. Losing Markstrom kinda sucks but he's taking the long road to the starter job and really the rest of the depth is progressing too fast to wait for him. We have a couple kids behind him and mainly Brittian who won the Richter award for best NCAA goalie this year. Having Lu gives us at least 4 years to develop him properly.

I fully expect this to be a busy off-season in South FLA. We will need a new AGM, and Coach in the off season and we need to trim the fat off the roster and add some new blood to compliment the kids. As far as coaching goes I've seen some rumors pointing to Messier being approached by the org. I'm not opposed to it but we need to give him vet assistants if that is the case. Maurice is on my short list if he does not sign with Jets too.

As far as players go we need a sniper first and foremost. Moulson would be my #1 target if I were Tallon. He would be perfect out there with Barkov. Otherwise we should see who is avail on the trade block and look to dealing the 1st this year... Unless Ekblad is on the board. We need that kid IMO, him and our current crop of D-men fits like a glove a long term D corps of:

Matherson- Ekblad
Kulikov-McCoshen
Gudbranson-Petrovic
Raccine

That would be one big, skilled corps to play against.

Cutting to next season though I'm hoping the lineup can look like:

Moulson/ FA - Barkov- Boyes
Huby- Bjugstad- Pirri
Bergenheim- Trocheck- Upshall
Hayes- Shore- Kopecky/ Howden/ Winchester
Barch

Campbell- Kuli/ Acquisition
Kuli/ Gudbranson- Olsen
Gudbranson/ FA- Petrovic
Jovo (who hopefully retires)

Luongo
Ellis/ rent-a-backup

Spl1nter

That's the sort of thing which tends to happen when you're forced to hire a coach mid-season.

I don't see any way Carlyle sticks around for next year but hopefully the club keeps him around until they have the time to actually find someone who can give this team some much-needed direction.
There are a number of coaches in the AHL and assistants in the NHL. There isn't a lack of good coaches. I think the entire coaching staff has to go not just Carlyle. I honestly would have trouble watching the leafs if Carlyle is still here. I've disliked him since last year.

Personally I am not a fan of Nonis and company but it's highly unlikely they are fired. If anything happens I see a president being brought in that is more invovled. They need to start understanding the value in advanced stats. However I am more concerned by their horrible asset management. Allowing kulemin and Raymond the ability to walk now after MacArthur and buying out grabovaki is baffling in a cap world.

Nonis has made some good moves in bernier and holland but what appears to have been bending to Carlyle's whims hopefully will teach him a lesson.

Samyy

The Leafs aren't even that bad a team, but they do need a #1 centre and they do need some time for Rielly and/or Gardiner to develop. Tank the rest of this year and next, gut management and coaching from top to bottom, and they could be fine with some smart hires and shrewd draft picks.

My picks for coach/GM:
Coach: Jay Woodcroft (Sharks Assistant Coach, was formally the Red Wings Assistant Coach when they won the cup)
GM: Julien BriseBois (Tampa Bay Lightning Assistant GM)

I just can't see how we can get a #1 centre :/ unless we go after Staal but no cap space and he's oldish.
I know for sure this team isn't going to tank next year, unless Leiwieke forces Nonis/new GM to do it, but even then the talent on this team ensures we're at least a bubble team.

Quick

Banned
I think this year was a setback, but I think we're past tanking and rebuilding. We're just missing a few key pieces now.

I don't think Carlyle's going to make it to training camp as our coach, but I don't really know who's available right now. User's posted a couple of guys who I have zero knowledge of, and Habs-GAF's hard-on for Boucher makes me wonder if he has a chance to replace Carlyle. No basis other than Habs-GAF's thirst for some Bouch.

Clarkson's been disappointing, but I'm willing to give the guy another shot next season. Not that there's any alternative. The buy-out would be expensive as hell, and no team is dumb enough to take on his contract in a trade (Garth Snow pls).

I'm on the middle with Franson. I like the guy and he's shown brilliance, but he's also made a ton of bad decisions on the ice. I wouldn't be opposed to a short-term deal. I like Gleason and he seems to fit the lineup fine, but I wonder if the Leafs keep him short-term of let him go in the off-seasons for someone from the Marlies.

Samyy

I think this year was a setback, but I think we're past tanking and rebuilding. We're just missing a few key pieces now.

I like Gleason and he seems to fit the lineup fine, but I wonder if the Leafs keep him short-term of let him go in the off-seasons for someone from the Marlies.

Gleason is under a terrible contract, but at least he seems to be earning most of it unlike Clarkson. He is signed until the 2015-2016 season with an AAV of $4mil.

The problem is Quick, the key pieces we're missing can't be acquired anywhere but the draft without significant overpayment or unique situations (ie. Seguin). We're missing a #1C and a #1D its not just a few key pieces, it is THE key pieces.

Cake Boss

Banned
Offseason plan for the Snes.

- Trade for Ryan Malone and have him take runs at Philips at practice injuring him until hes forced to retirement.

Resign Hemsky.
Trade Condra or Greening and Gryba for a draft pick.
Sign Dan Boyle
Sign Cammellari

Cammy- Spezza- Hemsky
MacArthur- Turris- Ryan
Hoffman- Zibenejad- Stone
Greening- Smith- Neil

Methot- Karlsson
Boyle- Ceci
Cowen- Weircioch
Borocop

Merguson

Banned
Just look at how many players we have to sign for next season and how much cap space we have

22mil in cap space and 10 players need to sign

It's a late response but some of the players could come from within. The Leafs management seemed to hint at it for next season.

Samyy

It's a late response but some of the players could come from within. The Leafs management seemed to hint at it for next season.

I'm hopeful for that, I don't know if we can graduate more inexperienced D but at least bottom 6 forwards shouldn't be a problem.

Last year I felt that the new owners would have cleared out the coaches and front office had the team not made the playoffs.

This year I can see them granting Nonis a mulligan. As annoyed as I am with how he's managed the club since July 2013, he didn't mortgage the future just to bail out Carlyle at the trade deadline. And there have been rumours all season about him personally meeting with Carlyle and basically forcing him to play Gardiner, Rielly and Holland.

But Carlyle? How in the world does this guy still have a job today? He's led the team to the worst string of results since the BALLARD era. If Maurice or Wilson had done this they would have been bounced minutes after the game ended.

Merguson

Banned
Last year I felt that the new owners would have cleared out the coaches and front office had the team not made the playoffs.

This year I can see them granting Nonis a mulligan. As annoyed as I am with how he's managed the club since July 2013, he didn't mortgage the future just to bail out Carlyle at the trade deadline. And there have been rumours all season about him personally meeting with Carlyle and basically forcing him to play Gardiner, Rielly and Holland.

But Carlyle? How in the world does this guy still have a job today? He's led the team to the worst string of results since the BALLARD era. If Maurice or Wilson had done this they would have been bounced minutes after the game ended.

Does it matter about Carlyle? Let him stay until season's end. We're not making the playoffs. Let's hope some teams can leapfrog us. I see five teams below us that could do it.

Does it matter about Carlyle? Let him stay until season's end. We're not making the playoffs. Let's hope some teams can leapfrog us. I see five teams below us that could do it.

If the stories of him alienating several in the locker room are true - and I think they are - canning and his staff at least will at least improve morale. My worry is that by keeping him, it sends the message that he's still Nonis' first choice coach, and guys who would otherwise want to stay will ask to be moved.

Offseason plan for the Snes.

- Trade for Ryan Malone and have him take runs at Philips at practice injuring him until hes forced to retirement.

Resign Hemsky.
Trade Condra or Greening and Gryba for a draft pick.
Sign Dan Boyle
Sign Cammellari

Cammy- Spezza- Hemsky
MacArthur- Turris- Ryan
Hoffman- Zibenejad- Stone
Greening- Smith- Neil

Methot- Karlsson
Boyle- Ceci
Cowen- Weircioch
Borocop

Offseason plans for Capitals:

-Fire McPhee and Oates
-Hire Don Sweeney as GM , Carbonneau as coach and Robinson as Assistant coach.

Win the draft lottery.
Trade the 1st overall, Marcus Johansson, Connor Carrick, Tom Wilson, 1st rounder in 2015 and 2016 for John Tavares.
Trade Mike Green for the 10th-14th overall pick.
Trade the pick to New Jersey for Larsson so that they can draft Nylander.
Trade Erskine to Edmonton along with Jack Hillen for whatever.
Trade Joel Ward and Eric Fehr to Phoenix for Tikhonov and Gormley.
Trade Troy Brouwer to Vancouver for Bieksa.
Sign Nikolai Kulemin to 2x3.
Sign Matt Moulson for 5x5,
Sign Vanek for 6.5x6.
Sign Leo Komarov to 1x3.
Resign Grabovski to 4x4.
Sign Boyle to 4.5x2.
Sign Medvedev out of the KHL to 2x2.

Win Stanley Cup.

FORWARDS
Evgeny Kuznetsov ($0.900m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m)
Matt Moulson ($5.000m) / John Tavares ($5.500m) / Thomas Vanek ($6.500m)
Jason Chimera ($2.000m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.000m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.000m)
Leo Komarov ($1.000m) / Viktor Tikhonov ($1.000m) / Chris Brown ($0.853m)
Casey Wellman ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($2.800m) / John Carlson ($3.967m)
Evgeny Medvedev ($2.000m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
Dmitry Orlov ($2.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Brandon Gormley ($0.840m) /
GOALTENDERS
Braden Holtby ($1.850m)
Philipp Grubauer ($0.579m)

zroid

Banned
UFAs:
Bolland, Kulemin, McClement, Raymond, Bodie, Ranger

RFAs:
Franson, Gardiner, Reimer

We can't afford to keep Bolland and Kulemin. Reimer is most likely gone unless he has trouble finding a #1 job elsewhere. They really fucked up with Raymond. He's gonna want more money and he will probably get it at another club.

I feel we are going to be seeing a lot more of D'Amigo, Holland, and Ashton next year, simply out of necessity. I'm kind of struggling to see how we get a top D-man. Maybe trade Gunnar in a package but the cap will be the enemy.

IMO the key to improving our defence next season will be the forwards. The new coaching staff will have to beat some defensive responsibility into them, especially guys like Lupul, Kessel, and Kadri. Unless these guys step up, nothing will change.

Samyy

PROSPECTS!

Interesting guys likely to be around the 8-12 range:

- Nylander
- McCann
- Barbashev
- Virtanen
- Ritchie
- Kempe
- Nikolaj Ehlers

So Nylander seems like the obvious choice, was rated very high coming into this season and could potentially be a big steal.
McCann is a centre, who would really help our depth in that department, the good is that he is a all-around solid player but again, may not project into a top six role, similar to Gauthier but with a bit more offence.
Barbashev is really interesting, Mckenzie thinks that he is a really good leader, highly skilled and versatile. From what I'm reading I hope this guy is on the Leafs radar. The plus is that he is also a centre!
Ehlers and Kempe have both risen in draft rankings recently, people are really high on Ehlers specifically with some projecting him into the top 10 now.
I don't know if Virtanen or Ritchie will fall to us, both big strong wingers that can put up points. Virtanen is a right-winger and god knows we have absolutely no talent on the right-wing besides Kessel.

Spl1nter

Should of traded him and kulemin at the deadline. If you ain't challenging for the cup should be generating assets. Personally I would resign kulemin but who knows what he wants.

IMO the key to improving our defence next season will be the forwards. The new coaching staff will have to beat some defensive responsibility into them, especially guys like Lupul, Kessel, and Kadri. Unless these guys step up, nothing will change.

As long as the new coaches keep them away from the collapse/swarm system, they'll be fine. The Leafs have decently mobile wingers with some size to them.

The problem is again with our 1C/2C. Bozak's defensive talents are made out to be much, much more than they are, and Kadri is largely hopeless in his own zone.

I have a feeling the Leafs will 'win' the Stastny sweepstakes.

Samyy

As long as the new coaches keep them away from the collapse/swarm system, they'll be fine. The Leafs have decently mobile wingers with some size to them.

The problem is again with our 1C/2C. Bozak's defensive talents are made out to be much, much more than they are, and Kadri is largely hopeless in his own zone.

I have a feeling the Leafs will 'win' the Stastny sweepstakes.

Can't win those sweepstakes without getting rid of Bozak, no cap room.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The problem with acquiring a #1 C is that great ones are never available, and the ones that are available are older / on the decline, i.e. what happened to us with Gomez. You need to draft one, or absolutely rob a team like Dallas did with Boston and Seguin.

Red_Man

Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Stamkos
Tavares
Getzlaf
Sedin
Giroux
Kopitar
Bergeron

All drafted from within, it's pretty much the only way to get a top line C anymore.

Fei

If the Sabres win the lottery and the Isles give them their 1st this year, we should draft Ekblad with the number 1 and take the top remaining forward at 4ish. Blue line would be set for a decade.

Samyy

If the Sabres win the lottery and the Isles give them their 1st this year, we should draft Ekblad with the number 1 and take the top remaining forward at 4ish. Blue line would be set for a decade.

Probably be Michael Dal Colle or Leon Draistl at #4, both LW.

Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Stamkos
Tavares
Getzlaf
Sedin
Giroux
Kopitar
Bergeron

All drafted from within, it's pretty much the only way to get a top line C anymore.

I will pray to all the gods and Carl Sagan that Gauthier somehow ends up like Bergeron lol :(

I'm guessing you get one of Reinhart or Bennett since Florida already has Barkov and Bjugstad.

Fei

I'm guessing you get one of Reinhart or Bennett since Florida already has Barkov and Bjugstad.

That'd be fantastic if one were available. Being realistic, Sabres are going to have a great pick in 2015 to grab an elite forward. Add some complementary forwards with the Blues 2014 and 2015 first rounders as well, and your foundation is set. Hopefully by 2016 Girgensons, Grigorenko, and Armia will all be ready to contribute at the NHL level.

Curufinwe

Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Stamkos
Tavares
Getzlaf
Sedin
Giroux
Kopitar
Bergeron

Getting a #1D is similar, apart from Chara and Suter who both left teams who wanted to keep another defenseman more.

Weber
Subban
Karlsson
Keith
Doughty
OEL
Pietrangelo
Giordano (quietly having a fantastic season)

Red_Man

Grigorenko's development has been such a roller coaster, it's hard to predict where it goes from here.

Getting a #1D is similar, apart from Chara and Suter who both left teams who wanted to keep another defenseman more.
Exactly, that's why I always laugh when a team says "we want a #1 C / D" and people act like teams are just throwing them away. The only ones moved are the ones on the decline, Seguin is one of the few examples in recent memory of a team moving a #1 C.

Mmmm there is a drop off after Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennet I don't know if Florida passes, BPA and all.

Buffalo could still get Draisaitl though and he's been up there in some mock drafts and scouting reports.

The possibility of having McDavid/Eichel backed by Draisaitl/Bennett/Reinhart and Girgensons scares me.

Along with the four towers on defense.

Myers-Ekblad
Zadorov-Risto

Buffalo pls

Fei

Grigorenko's development has been such a roller coaster, it's hard to predict where it goes from here.

It couldn't have been handled much worse by Buffalo, but it should be pretty straightforward from here. He's done in the Q, so he's finally eligible to play in the AHL. Just got assigned to Rochester. You're right, though. Tons of uncertainty.

Top Bottom