• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon FireTV Announced and Released [$99 box, $40 controller, game capable STB]

Somnid

I don't like the sound of this... I bet this is what they meant all along when they said "thousands" of games would be available. They're not being ported, in a sense, and they won't have controller support — you can just play them on your TV by using the phone/tablet that you already have.

I actually got my controller in the mail the other day. It's not bad, considering that the $17 of free content makes the price more palatable. It feels pretty well-built, and is comfortable, but the sticks are much looser than I'd like them to be (my only real complaint).

It always seemed that way, though of course devs are incentivised to make them compatible. I think this is a way to easily and quickly make the surface area wider.

Also Netflix is getting voice search support later this year: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/21/5...e-search-will-support-netflix-later-this-year

Really pleased with the update roadmap on Fire TV, it's very aggressive. I just hope native Miracast support comes soon, it's the one feature that would likely get me to buy one.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I don't like the sound of this... I bet this is what they meant all along when they said "thousands" of games would be available. They're not being ported, in a sense, and they won't have controller support — you can just play them on your TV by using the phone/tablet that you already have.

I actually got my controller in the mail the other day. It's not bad, considering that the $17 of free content makes the price more palatable. It feels pretty well-built, and is comfortable, but the sticks are much looser than I'd like them to be (my only real complaint).

Something to consider is that they had a fairly restricted group of devs who had access to the SDK and hardware prior to the announcement and launch. Now anybody can support the platform, you'll see more titles with controller support, though there might be a little lull while devs get up to speed on the opportunity.

Raistlin

I have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse switcher, and I use it all the time with my between my tablet and pc.

Basically, you plug in a usb mouse and keyboard (even wireless works too with the dongles), and it'll pass through usb to your pc. It also converts the USB keyboard/mouse into bluetooth when you switch inputs.

Here's the link to it:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CA7ST22/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Oh that's pretty cool

I think I need to go with IR though for automation purposes

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm a bit surprised they haven't done something like the shield, having software that can map controller inputs to touch zones, so it can simulate finger presses. That would make a lot more games potentially controller compatible without them needing to be built specially for the fire TV

nampad

I'm a bit surprised they haven't done something like the shield, having software that can map controller inputs to touch zones, so it can simulate finger presses. That would make a lot more games potentially controller compatible without them needing to be built specially for the fire TV

It's probably to fiddly for consumers and they want to offer a certain standard of usability/polish.

RobbieNick

I discovered that Fire TV's support for outside blurtooth controllers is not that great. While waiting for the official Fire TV controller to arrive, I was using an Ouya controller for a while on it. I thought that outside of no pause button, everything was fine, but Crazy Taxi ran horribly on it with drive/reverse buttons in the wrong place and no way to brake. Once I got the official Fire TV Controller, everything was fine and the buttons were in the right place.

Speaking of, while the controller has a good grip and the placement of the joysticks/buttons is well done, the d-Pad is a horrible, clanky mess. Worse than Ouyas. Every press on the D-pad ends up with a loud "snap". UGH.

coldfoot

Banned
Why would someone in the market for a new streaming box choose an xbox 360 over a Roku, Fire TV, or Chromecast?
Because they can also play Call of Duty, Forza, and hundreds of other games on it, instead of shitty casual low production value amateur crap.

AlexMogil

Hmm. I didn't know xbox 360 had a native plex app that requires no transcoding from my media server?

Neither does the Fire. The thing fucking sucks for Plex. It cannot play digital content and may never play anything above 5.1. It also probably won't do passthrough of higher level codecs either.

It must be pretty rough as an Xbox fan when the only console you can troll is a Fire TV.

You are talking about coldfoot.

Seems like a nice option. I'm really close to convincing my parents to cut the cable, but apparently sports aren't the easiest to get on these boxes. Might have to go for individual sports. Also, WatchESPN is ridiculous since it requires a cable subscription. What's the point? The cable companies have them locked down and it sucks.

I'm really liking my FireTV as a media player - it's so fast to find what I want to watch and control watching it, or to stream movies from my PC. For gaming, though, it's definitely hit or miss. Some games are perfect, like Riptide or Sev Zero, but a lot of these games are crappy ports, like Crazy Taxi, which somehow missed out on analogue steering even though it supports the controller. I put my old OUYA game on it (Secret of Universe Alpha), and it's barely sold any, because most people who bought the FireTV are casual gamers at best, which is really gonna keep the best games off of the system.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm really liking my FireTV as a media player - it's so fast to find what I want to watch and control watching it, or to stream movies from my PC. For gaming, though, it's definitely hit or miss. Some games are perfect, like Riptide or Sev Zero, but a lot of these games are crappy ports, like Crazy Taxi, which somehow missed out on analogue steering even though it supports the controller. I put my old OUYA game on it (Secret of Universe Alpha), and it's barely sold any, because most people who bought the FireTV are casual gamers at best, which is really gonna keep the best games off of the system.
Yeah, it's probably way too soon to jump to conclusions, but there's been absolutely NO news regarding games in development in the month-and-a-half since the thing was announced/launched. I'm feeling a little silly for dropping $40 on a controller right away, but I love the thing as a media player so much that I'm still extremely satisfied with it.

And in one week, we get HBO shows with Prime! Weeeee

IMACOMPUTA

Did we really get console war riff raff in here just now? Wow. Lol.

I'm fucking loving my firetv. Xbmc is great on it, as well as twitch and retroarch.

Not regretting early adopting the Fire TV in the least bit. Such a solid media player. Glad to hear the news about an HBO Go native app coming "soon".

I just need ESPN and Showtime Anytime apps to update support for Charter. They already support charter via the webpage, so I'm not sure why the app's wouldn't.

I'd like to see more about what their game studio is cooking up. The first game, Sev Zero, is pretty awful.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

kuroshiki

Lol. You were that ouya defender. Just curious how many of your game sold on ouya?

kuroshiki

Why the laughing? Seems a bit petty to mock someone for making a game and being interested in the Ouya platform.

Why not? He has been defender of ouya ever since its kickstarter days and his post records in ouya thread was downright hilarious (at least to me. For you it might not). At first I thought he was ouya employee or ouya people have his pets as hostage or something. I'm sure I was not the only one.

I mean he defended yearly update of ouya, chipset choice (tegra 3? wtf?).. I saw your name on ouya thread too, you know what happened.

And since ouya has been proven to be nothing but a failed project, since 2014 he didn't mention single thing about ouya except in this thread. I just found it amusing (and I understand you might not).

vatstep

The main Fire TV page on Amazon has been updated to indicate that WWE Network and Watch ABC / ABC Family / Disney apps are coming soon.

I wish there was a better way to be notified when new games or apps are added; I just find myself browsing the selection every couple of days or so.

JesseZao

Just noticed a pretty nice "deal" on amazon today.

If you browse the appstore page using the main site, there is a banner saying free coins for dling apps.

Go to and "purchase" each of the five free apps and you end up with 1000 coins.

Use the coins to purchase gta:san andreas for 699 coins.

Gta:sa gives a bonus 2000 coins upon purchase for a limited time.

Now you have 2301 coins for w/e you want. (23 bucks equiv)

Krakn3Dfx

So I decided to hold onto it, we've started using it with Plex over the PS3 for streaming media, and I don't have any of the weirdness I get with the PS3 playing mkvs, plus no Cinavia BS to deal with on backed up BD movies that have that DRM baked in, which is nice.

A friend of mine pointed me to the Plex Unsupported (as in totally unofficial) Appstore, which lets you load a bunch of apps into Plex that it wouldn't support directly. Definitely worth checking out if you are looking for more flexibility with Plex.

ignata

They're giving select users (seems if you have an amazon cc you're more likely to be eligible for this offer), 30 day trial of the FireTV

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ods_bueller_dps_install/?ie=UTF8&docId=1002558481

Nice for those of us worried about pulling the trigger, can at least try it out.

Stumbled on this offer by accident when I was browsing Amazon. Stopped by here to see if the thread had been updated with this news. I'm going to give the trial a shot. I'm mostly interested to see if this would be a replacement for my Roku 3. It doesn't have the wide spectrum of apps that the Roku does, so nothing may ever replace it (gotta have that Giant Bomb app, and the unofficial Twitch app is great) but of everything that has come around, this may have the best chance at dethroning it.

ignata

Got my Fire TV today, which, as I mentioned before, is a 30 day trial. First off...Sunday delivery? They must really want me to try it. Secondly, there is no way this thing is replacing my Roku. I was hoping for a set top box with a better interface and faster response within apps, and I didn't get either of those. I knew the Roku's channel variety would trump the Fire, but even still if this delivered in the other areas, I would have kept it and gladly waited for the other apps I use.

With gaming, there wasn't much I wanted to try. I downloaded Asphalt since it was free, and after a long download process, I had to adjust the settings since I had a controller plugged in so it wasn't automatically accelerating as if I was just using the remote. I played the tutorial, but then after that, couldn't get into the first race without it having one of the most comical bugs I've seen, where it would just cycle through cars while the music freaked out. Backing out would get it out of the loop, but it would just keep repeating anytime I tried to get into the race.

Ultimately I wasn't trying this for the games, I was trying it for use as a set top box. I actually think I prefer the Roku interface to this. While the Roku has its own movie and TV rental service, it's not the shell of the entire interface in the way that all the Amazon services are in your face on the Fire TV. The Roku's priority is showing you the channels you've downloaded. Discovering apps on the Fire is fairly difficult as well. I had no clue there was a Twitch channel until I accidentally stumbled upon it right before I unhooked the device. It's just the Android app, but that's not an issue. The issue I had was it either worked incredibly well and displayed an amazing picture, or it did nothing at all, and just sat on a black screen after selecting a channel.

So back to the Roku I go.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Got my Fire TV today, which, as I mentioned before, is a 30 day trial. First off...Sunday delivery? They must really want me to try it. Secondly, there is no way this thing is replacing my Roku. I was hoping for a set top box with a better interface and faster response within apps, and I didn't get either of those. I knew the Roku's channel variety would trump the Fire, but even still if this delivered in the other areas, I would have kept it and gladly waited for the other apps I use.

With gaming, there wasn't much I wanted to try. I downloaded Asphalt since it was free, and after a long download process, I had to adjust the settings since I had a controller plugged in so it wasn't automatically accelerating as if I was just using the remote. I played the tutorial, but then after that, couldn't get into the first race without it having one of the most comical bugs I've seen, where it would just cycle through cars while the music freaked out. Backing out would get it out of the loop, but it would just keep repeating anytime I tried to get into the race.

Ultimately I wasn't trying this for the games, I was trying it for use as a set top box. I actually think I prefer the Roku interface to this. While the Roku has its own movie and TV rental service, it's not the shell of the entire interface in the way that all the Amazon services are in your face on the Fire TV. The Roku's priority is showing you the channels you've downloaded. Discovering apps on the Fire is fairly difficult as well. I had no clue there was a Twitch channel until I accidentally stumbled upon it right before I unhooked the device. It's just the Android app, but that's not an issue. The issue I had was it either worked incredibly well and displayed an amazing picture, or it did nothing at all, and just sat on a black screen after selecting a channel.

So back to the Roku I go.

How is the image quality between the two devices? Specifically for Netflix, Amazon streaming, Hulu, HBO Go, and Showtime Anywhere?

I am about to purchase one of these and those will be my main uses.

DirtyLarry

I am one of those that got selected for the 30 day free trial, but I just cannot see how it would overtake my Apple TV, OUYA, Chromecast, PS3, PS4, Xbox One & XBox 360 since really all of my home media needs and then some are met with all of the above devices.
Sure it may centralize some aspects of things, but I just do not see the need to spend $99 for a tad more convenience. Convenience I am not even convinced will be better or I even need.

So yeah while it is a tempting offer to try something out for free for 30 days, it actually seems like a bigger pain in the ass then it is worth.

Top Bottom