• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Spring 2014 Feature Update (April 15th)

Jira

comic_016msbz.jpg

comic_0279sh8.jpg

comic_03e6sev.jpg

comic_0441sba.jpg

Check it out in more detail here:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/feature-packs/

DJIzana

Looking forward to what the next feature update will be. Honestly, I know I sound like a broken record but... I want more zones!

They have such a huge world map to work with and yet they don't! Not only that but when GW2 originally launched, exploration played a HUGE part of the game. Obviously now, it doesn't.

I will say though... new traits, wardrobe, grandmaster things are really nice. That's certainly a step in the right direction (along with the megaserver).

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Wow, that's a lot more changes than I was expecting. Does this mean I can finally join the GAF guild even though I initially selected a different world?

There's a rumor that one of the GAF Guild requirements will be to wear sunglasses or aviators in combat at all times with the new wardrobe change.

Retro

Honestly, I know I sound like a broken record but... I want more zones!

Zones are almost certainly coming with the next season of the Living Story, which we'll probably hear about shortly after this next big update goes live.

In the meantime, there's a lot of new bells and whistles to play with, and the Megaserver thing will help make the existing zones feel a little less empty.

Wow, that's a lot more changes than I was expecting. Does this mean I can finally join the GAF guild even though I initially selected a different world?

Unless you're playing on an EU server, tou can do that right now. Post your username (name.####) in the community thread and we'll get you an invite. Then all you'd need to do is Guest to Stormbluff Isle. After the Feature update, you probably wouldn't even need to do that since the system is designed to put you in a megaserver with your guildmates and friends.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Zones are almost certainly coming with the next season of the Living Story, which we'll probably hear about shortly after this next big update goes live.

In the meantime, there's a lot of new bells and whistles to play with, and the Megaserver thing will help make the existing zones feel a little less empty.

Unless you're playing on an EU server, tou can do that right now. Post your username (name.####) in the community thread and we'll get you an invite. Then all you'd need to do is Guest to Stormbluff Isle. After the Feature update, you probably wouldn't even need to do that since the system is designed to put you in a megaserver with your guildmates and friends.
Oh sweet, thanks for the info.

DJIzana

Aye. I still love this game... I'm just waiting for the right time to return to it.

Fou-Lu

I really wish I could get into Guild Wars 2, I've tried, but for some reason I just don't find myself going back to it for more.

Helmholtz

Mega servers thing sounds cool. One of the reasons I stopped playing last July was because of how empty most of the PvE zones were. Might check it out again this summer.

Retro

Aye. I still love this game... I'm just waiting for the right time to return to it.

Soon™

Still no official controller support? Also hopefully they'll optimize the game more this update too?

No official support, but there's a whole legion of GAFers who swear by Hawkian and WeltallZero's controller configuration, which you can read about here.

I really wish I could get into Guild Wars 2, I've tried, but for some reason I just don't find myself going back to it for more.

The nice thing is, since you bought it already it never costs you any money to look in every now and then.

Mega servers thing sounds cool. One of the reasons I stopped playing last July was because of how empty most of the PvE zones were. Might check it out again this summer.

Remember that it won't be game-wide until later in the year; they're doing a limited rollout on the 15th in just the cities, PVP lobby and Level 1-15 zones, if that goes well they'll probably push it to all zones fairly quickly.

Fou-Lu

The nice thing is, since you bought it already it never costs you any money to look in every now and then.

This is true, I hate how I have to buy at least a month to check out new updates in many other games. And who knows, maybe one of these times GW2 will actually hook me.

Retro

I wish they would just copy FFXIV's system so I don't need to run that stuff.

Unfortunately, native controller support doesn't seem to be something to many MMO developers spend time on. Which is a shame since so many of them are starting to become more action-oriented, which lends itself to playing with a gamepad. Even TESO, which will be launching for consoles in June, doesn't have native support in the PC version.

They did data-mine some X-Box controller buttons in one of the early Betas for GW2, but nothing ever came of it.

This is true, I hate how I have to buy at least a month to check out new updates in many other games. And who knows, maybe one of these times GW2 will actually hook me.

Was there a particular aspect of the game that kept you from enjoying it, or more of a 'whole package' sort of deal? As mentioned in the goofy comic, they update every two weeks, so it may have changed while you weren't looking.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
The Megaserver is only going to be initially for levels 1-15 zones, cities, and PvP. They want to balance it out before they do the full roll out.

Jira

The Megaserver is only going to be initially for levels 1-15 zones, cities, and PvP. They want to balance it out before they do the full roll out.

Yeah it's very similar to how they've rolled out other features to ensure maximum stability. My hopes is that it goes well and that they'll roll out the Megaservers to every other zone ASAP.

Retro

Semi-Related:
Guild Wars 2 News - Biggest Game Sale Ever Wraps Up Patch Reveal
Posted by Suzie Ford on Apr 03, 2014
As the final blog posts have been revealed on the Guild Wars 2 site that describe the Features Update that is set to deploy in game later this month, ArenaNet also unveiled the biggest game sale. Potential players can't find a better time to jump into the game with both the Digital Deluxe and Heroic editions of the game coming in at a cool 50% off.

For new players, there has never been a better time to join Guild Wars 2. Players can get access to one of the most popular MMO games of all time at the unprecedented discount of 50 percent off, and get all of the exciting content ArenaNet has planned for 2014 and beyond without ever paying a subscription fee. The offer applies only to the Digital Heroic Edition, now available for $24.99 (€ 19.99 / £ 17.49), and the Digital Deluxe Edition, now available for $34.99 (€ 29.99 / £ 24.99), when purchased through the official Guild Wars 2 online store from April 3 at 12pm Pacific Time through April 13 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.​

(source)

swnny

For everyone just finding out about this (as the blogs were posted over the last 2 weeks) and reading it all at once, now just imagine the patch notes list. :D

I'm excited. I love being able to just check in on this game once in awhile and play hard for a few days then give it a rest without having to go through any resubbing bs. However the zones I'm usually in are pretty deserted which makes events difficult, so I'm pretty excited for the mega server stuff.

KiteGr

I was reading these news comming out bit by bit for the last two weeks.
I'm about to pee my pants with excitement!

OP forgot to mention a few things.
  1. The mega servers will be available initially only on major cities and lvl1-15 zones to make sure the system works.
  2. You will be able to respec anytime, anywer without the need to visit a trainer.
  3. Trait points are now aplied in fives every five levels. applying them five times to unlock a trait was stupid!
  4. The traits will be hidden around the world to be unlocked through exploration, or they can be bought from a trainer for gold if you are lazy.
  5. Repairing your gear after death will now cost nothing.
  6. Critical damage will now be called "Ferocity", It will no longer be a percentage, and it will be nerfed down 10% since it was OP and everyone and their mother were running Berserker Builds.
  7. Guild Leaders will now be able to see the time since a member last logined, so they can kick ghost members.
  8. Most World Bosses will now be on a fixed timer as the condition of the events of their map will be uncairtain with the megaservers.
  9. In the future Guilds can initiate World boss battles any time they want as guild missions.

komplanen

That doesn't look like much content when comparing it to paid expansions of say World of Warcraft but it's free so that's good I guess..

KiteGr

What's with the obsesion people have with dyes?
Of all the updates, that seems to be that got the most attention.

MidBoss

Ah, megaservers. This looks like it might fix the problem with the Tequatl-like events. Blackgate beat Tequatl and everyone started guesting over there, leaving their own servers empty. This fixes that. Next problem: pugs getting themselves killed.

Bought this game at launch and have probably played 10 hours of it, I don't really like the way it controls, I would love a Neverwinter style control scheme.

I wonder if they will ever work on an expansion and introduce a new class or two. I'm waiting on and awesome update like that, I also really with mesmer was like it was in GW1 :/.

Atrophis

That doesn't look like much content when comparing it to paid expansions of say World of Warcraft but it's free so that's good I guess..

Its a feature patch not a content patch. It is certainly a boat load of features you might see introduced in a WoW expansion.

New content will come when the Living Story Season 2 starts hopefully in the next few weeks.

Wow so many new faces in here that play the game but I don't see them in GAF community thread. Come join us, we are the nicest people on the internet.

I played GW2 again yesterday after a long time and enjoyed it a lot more. They've made the world encounters much more difficult and the combat is much more varied and mobile. This just makes stuff even better. Only issue was having no one around to help with the encounters which means I kept dying trying to solo it.

Puru

It actually looks good but i'm still only waiting for the Super Adventure Box and
new underwater legendaries

I played GW2 again yesterday after a long time and enjoyed it a lot more. They've made the world encounters much more difficult and the combat is much more varied and mobile. This just makes stuff even better. Only issue was having no one around to help with the encounters which means I kept dying trying to solo it.
The empty zone issue is what they are trying to address with megaservers the ought this year starting with 1-15 level zones on the 15th of April.

Too busy playing the game :D Although it would help if the EU Gaf guild was still up :(
EU GAF guild died pretty quick. Lots of thier members transferred over to SBI server to play with us. We helped a lot of them transfer by collecting money in game to pay for transfer.

Has there been any news of new weapon skills for the classes? :x
Nothing yet.

Think I may do that!
Nice.

It actually looks good but i'm still only waiting for the Super Adventure Box and
new underwater legendaries
I complained a lot about how SAB does not belong in GW2 so rest of GAFGuild blames me for it not coming back this April 1st update.

Zelias

Banned
I've decided to give GW2 another whirl but my guilds are as dead as Batman's parents and I'm on EU. Shame there's no EU GAF guild. Considering moving over to US instead, I'm levelling up a new character anyway so...

Top Bottom