• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

oldmario
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:33 AM)
oldmario's Avatar
http://www.shopto .net/video-games/psvita/PSPVRA36-ratchet-and-clank-trilogy

is this known?

(link spaced because it's banned on gaf)

screencapped incase they remove the listing
Last edited by oldmario; 04-05-2014 at 01:37 AM.
poopninjamvc3mk
I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
(04-05-2014, 01:34 AM)
poopninjamvc3mk's Avatar
Hopefully not as terrible as Jak port if true. Would love a Rachet Collection port.
mullet2000
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:35 AM)
mullet2000's Avatar
The Jak port realllllllly makes me skeptical about any future Sony HD collections, but if this is a good port I'd love to have it on Vita.
shadowsdarknes
I'M STILL A JUNIOR
(04-05-2014, 01:36 AM)
shadowsdarknes's Avatar
Please yes. I've never played Up Your Arsenal.
rjc571
Junior Member
(04-05-2014, 01:36 AM)
I wonder what it'll look like?


I'll be all over it if it's a competent port (i.e. native res at 60 fps), but nothing I've seen with PS2 ports on the Vita gives me any hope that that'll be the case.
Danlord
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:40 AM)
Danlord's Avatar
Uploaded large boxart for you;

Rodney McKay
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:41 AM)
Rodney McKay's Avatar
Would be amazing if it backward supported Cross Buy (since I own the trilogy on the PS3 already). I think the EU digital version of the Jak trilogy actually did this.

Hell, if they're decent ports I'd still buy it day one. Those games are PERFECT for handhelds. The Ratchet series was never really as graphically intensive as the Jak games, so I think they'd be able to come over to Vita without much of a downgrade.
Quadraphonic
XBONE Detective
(04-05-2014, 01:41 AM)
After the fucking nightmarish port of whatever the fuck that was on the Vita, I'm scared as shit for this.

Literally the worst framerate in a game I've seen. I'm glad it was free with purchase of the PS3 version, because I would have asked for a refund.
Jimmyfenix
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:41 AM)
Jimmyfenix's Avatar
What happened to into the nexus for vita?
Gamerloid
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:42 AM)
Gamerloid's Avatar
Never played the games, so I'd love this. Thank you PortStation Vita.
The_Monk
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:43 AM)
The_Monk's Avatar
It might also get its release on Vita but the Description is from the PS3 Version fellow GAFfer:

Two PlayStation heroes are back to relive their first three adventures, remastered in stunning High Definition for PS3.
Head back to where it all began in three classic PlayStation 2 hits - Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank 2 and Ratchet & Clank 3 - on one Blu-ray Disc.
Load up on zany weapons and cool gadgets and show off your skills on the hunt for PlayStation Network trophies.
Enjoy the dynamic duo's quests in a thrilling new dimension with stunning stereoscopic 3D support.
namDa65
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:43 AM)
namDa65's Avatar
I'd like this :D
poopninjamvc3mk
I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
(04-05-2014, 01:44 AM)
poopninjamvc3mk's Avatar

Originally Posted by rjc571

I wonder what it'll look like?


I'll be all over it if it's a competent port (i.e. native res at 60 fps), but nothing I've seen with PS2 ports on the Vita gives me any hope that that'll be the case.

MGS ports(at least MGS3 was) are great. Game is so smooth and looks great on Vita screen. I wish MGS3 was full 60fps like the console hd port but it still ran at a nice vsync locked 30fps with a few tiny performance dips and looked/ran better than PS2 which had crazy slowdowns.
UltraGunner
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:44 AM)
UltraGunner's Avatar
If its anything like the Jak trilogy port they can keep it.
Tagg9
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:46 AM)
Tagg9's Avatar
What was so bad about the Jak port, guys?
Rodney McKay
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:46 AM)
Rodney McKay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Quadraphonic

After the fucking nightmarish port of whatever the fuck that was on the Vita, I'm scared as shit for this.

Literally the worst framerate in a game I've seen. I'm glad it was free with purchase of the PS3 version, because I would have asked for a refund.

Not to defend that port (it was truly atrocious), but that was a PS3 game they strangely decided to lazily port onto the Vita, as apposed to a PS2 game.
Shinriji
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:47 AM)
Shinriji's Avatar
Hopefully they improved the "PS3 - PSVita automatic port generator" since last year.
UltraGunner
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:49 AM)
UltraGunner's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tagg9

What was so bad about the Jak port, guys?

Framerate was utter crap on the Vita, not to mention the Backtouch panel is an awful replacement for L2/R2
mullet2000
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:49 AM)
mullet2000's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tagg9

What was so bad about the Jak port, guys?

The framerate, especially in Jak 3, is horrible.

Jak 3 is seriously like 15 FPS a lot of the time.
OldKingDoran
Banned
(04-05-2014, 01:56 AM)
wish they'd moneyhat some other PS2 classics instead.

I'll probably buy this if its native res and actually decent framerate
chrominance
Member
(04-05-2014, 01:59 AM)
chrominance's Avatar

Originally Posted by Danlord

Uploaded large boxart for you;

Uh, Blu-Ray disc?

Also, what TheMonk said.
Danlord
Member
(04-05-2014, 02:02 AM)
Danlord's Avatar

Originally Posted by chrominance

Uh, Blu-Ray disc?

Also, what TheMonk said.


It's more than likely coming, just a placeholder boxart they've used over the 3D Blu-ray box they'll have for the site artwork
jf DOOM
Member
(04-05-2014, 02:03 AM)
jf DOOM's Avatar
Would be awesome if true. I never played those games so having them on the vita would be great.
Rabid-Coot
Member
(04-05-2014, 02:03 AM)
Rabid-Coot's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tagg9

What was so bad about the Jak port, guys?

Jak 1 was solid as far as I could tell, Jak 2 had a few spots with noticable drops but was mostly fine and Jak 3 really suffered when multiple enemies are killed and in one of the later missions it would slow down signifiantly in the final section.
FusionCode
Member
(04-05-2014, 02:04 AM)
FusionCode's Avatar
Awesome if true, I would love some Ratchet games on my Vita.
Astro Monster
Banned
(04-05-2014, 02:06 AM)
One step closer to Shadow of The Colossus HD on Vita :D
Magicpaint
Member
(04-05-2014, 02:12 AM)
Magicpaint's Avatar

Originally Posted by poopninjamvc3mk

Hopefully not as terrible as Jak port if true. Would love a Rachet Collection port.

Yep! I was so disappointed in the Jak ports. Fingers crossed here.
Frumix
Member
(04-05-2014, 05:42 AM)
Frumix's Avatar
What? Why is Deadlocked left out again.
bobawesome
Member
(04-05-2014, 05:56 AM)
bobawesome's Avatar

Originally Posted by rjc571

I wonder what it'll look like?



Who decided to give this the green light?
Arthos
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:02 AM)
Arthos's Avatar
Was the Jak trilogy on the Vita really that bad? :/

Either way, it would be pretty cool if this does happen. Never got around to playing the games on the PS2.
injurai
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:15 AM)
injurai's Avatar

Originally Posted by bobawesome



Who decided to give this the green light?

Megacorp
coolasj19
Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
(04-05-2014, 06:16 AM)
coolasj19's Avatar
So Sony's strategy for this year, regardless of if this is true or not, is HD Collections in lieu of native Vita games. There's a lot of things you can say about SCE Vita support but they haven't left it completely for dead yet. And I like to think they never will. I wonder how Sony will define their first commercial "failure".
Artorias
Banned
(04-05-2014, 06:16 AM)
Their killer app for this year, I'm guessing.
mothball
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:18 AM)

Originally Posted by bobawesome



Who decided to give this the green light?

To say nothing of the performance, that screenshot makes it look worse than it actually is because it was taken when the firmware was fucking up all screenshots and making them look like they were resized without a filter.
Silky
Banned
(04-05-2014, 06:19 AM)
Why the fuck do people want these games on PSV? Not only will they look and perform like ass if FFA Vita is anything to go buy, the Vita doesn't have L2/R2 buttons????

Nah breh, you can keep this shit
Last edited by Silky; 04-05-2014 at 06:44 AM.
TomShoe
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:26 AM)
TomShoe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Silky

Why the fuck do people want these games on PSV? Not only will they look and perform like ass, they don't even have an L2/R2 button????

Nah breh, you can keep this shit

OK, Mr. All-knowing Insider, grace us with your "Talking Rectum of Infinite Knowledge". Maybe people like to revisit old games, or play classics that they never had the chance to. I for one, would love to play the R&C Trilogy since I never got to play them on PS3. Since you clearly know how it's going to look and perform, why not tell me about how the touchpad is going to replace the buttons?
rjc571
Junior Member
(04-05-2014, 06:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Silky

Why the fuck do people want these games on PSV? Not only will they look and perform like ass, they don't even have an L2/R2 button????

Nah breh, you can keep this shit

I want Ratchet & Clank on the Vita because Ratchet & Clank was excellent on the PS2, and I like playing games on handhelds. Even though I'm expecting the worst, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the Vita is capable of running these PS2 ports at 60 fps and at native resolution, if Sony made a decent effort to ensure that the quality of the port was good. The controls shouldn't be a problem, they can keep strafe on the shoulder buttons, move the first person view (originally L1) and quick select menu (originally triangle) to the touch screen/rear touch pad, and move crouch (originally R1) to triangle.
Silky
Banned
(04-05-2014, 06:36 AM)

Originally Posted by TomShoe

OK, Mr. All-knowing Insider, grace us with your "Talking Rectum of Infinite Knowledge". Maybe people like to revisit old games, or play classics that they never had the chance to. I for one, would love to play the R&C Trilogy since I never got to play them on PS3. Since you clearly know how it's going to look and perform, why not tell me about how the touchpad is going to replace the buttons?

Considering the last R&C game released by Insomniac was a graphical mess on Vita, as seen in screens before, and considering the only logical place for the L2/R2 buttons to be using the touchpad like the Jak port did (which also performed like ass in terms of framerate) , it doesn't give me any hope regarding the quality of the product.

A trigger-heavy game like R&C needs, well, competent triggers like L2 and R2. I don't see how the touchpad can be a valid substitute.

Why am I to give faith to a team (Idol Minds assuming they're doing the ports of Ratchet Vita/insomniac likes working with them) that has very little to no Vita experience (their Vita game was cancelled) to port a shooter/platformer to a limiting handheld like the Vita? Seems like a waste compared to Jak which was only really delt with a shitty stick because of bad porting.

Originally Posted by rjc571

I want Ratchet & Clank on the Vita because Ratchet & Clank was excellent on the PS2, and I like playing games on handhelds. Even though I'm expecting the worst, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the Vita is capable of running these PS2 ports at 60 fps and at native resolution, if Sony made a decent effort to ensure that the quality of the port was good. The controls shouldn't be a problem, they can keep strafe on the shoulder buttons, move the first person view (originally L1) and quick select menu (originally triangle) to the touch screen/rear touch pad, and move crouch (originally R1) to triangle.

That sounds like an incredibly uncomfortable experience. It doesn't help that the Vita has no clickable sticks L3/R3. Will the touchpad be able to substitute that? I doubt it.

Into the Nexus will be great for Vita because Insomniac is taking time with the game from the ground up to make sure they don't end up with another Full Frontal Assault. Outsourcing a PS3 trilogy port to another team to downsize and remap the controls to some bizarro scheme...just sounds awful.

Any way you cut it, comparing the current control scheme to Vita, things like strafing, weapon swapping, and the flow of combat will most likely be horribly nerfed on the Vita due to the limitations that the handheld has. There's no way around this.

Stuff like God of War, Jak, etc...they sort of work on Vita. Ratchet? Nah breh

I'd like to see the team working on these ports prove me wrong/eat crow or whatever. For now? With the evidence seen today? I have zero expecations for this to be a servicable port. It's a shame because Ratchet usually HAS great handheld installments.

If anything why don't they just update Size Matters/Secret Agent Clank's PS2 releases to Vita along with the Trilogy
Last edited by Silky; 04-05-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Tagg9
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:38 AM)
Tagg9's Avatar

Originally Posted by Silky

Considering the last R&C game released by Insomniac was a graphical mess, as seen in screens before, and considering the only logical place for the L2/R2 buttons to be using the touchpad like the Jak port did (which also performed like ass in terms of framerate) , it doesn't give me any hope regarding the quality of the product.

A trigger-heavy game like R&C needs, well, competent triggers like L2 and R2. I don't see how the touchpad can be a valid substitute.

What are you talking about? Nexus was a beautiful game.
Silky
Banned
(04-05-2014, 06:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Tagg9

What are you talking about? Nexus was a beautiful game.

Reffering to FFA Vita
Tagg9
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:46 AM)
Tagg9's Avatar

Originally Posted by Silky

Reffering to FFA Vita

Well that game wasn't by Insomniac. It was a port by Tin Giant.
Drago
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:49 AM)
Drago's Avatar
Yes, please! I was hoping this would happen.

Hope the ports turn out well, although I guess that may be a bit of a long shot. Would be a shame of the games clock in under 30 fps like the Jak collection does.
Last edited by Drago; 04-05-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Silky
Banned
(04-05-2014, 06:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Tagg9

Well that game wasn't by Insomniac. It was a port by Tin Giant.

There lies the big issue; it's all a matter of 'who' is porting the games to Vita? Will it be Tin Giant, who as already shown that they don't know what the fuck they're doing in regards to porting stuff to Vita? Will it be Idol Minds, who has worked with the Handheld before but has no software that they worked on/ported on the handheld? Or will it be the Jak Vita team?

Either way the cards laid out right now are a really shitty set of cards and the only good option is that Idol Minds takes charge of the Vita port

It is what it is. Zero hope for whatever this turns out to be.
ohlawd
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:53 AM)
ohlawd's Avatar
if this somehow ends up being a good port, I'll be all over it.
VeeP
Member
(04-05-2014, 06:55 AM)
VeeP's Avatar

Originally Posted by Silky

There lies the big issue; it's all a matter of 'who' is porting the games to Vita? Will it be Tin Giant, who as already shown that they don't know what the fuck they're doing in regards to porting stuff to Vita? Will it be Idol Minds, who has worked with the Handheld before but has no software that they worked on/ported on the handheld? Or will it be the Jak Vita team?

Either way the cards laid out right now are a really shitty set of cards and the only good option is that Idol Minds takes charge of the Vita port

It is what it is. Zero hope for whatever this turns out to be.

Insomniac has said that if they release a Ratchet Vita game in the future, it would be a quality port, with them helping out on the project.

As for Jak Vita Port, one of the reasons that ran so badly was because Naughtydog did some crazy things with the PS2 hardware and coding. Google it.
Silky
Banned
(04-05-2014, 07:02 AM)

Originally Posted by VeeP

Insomniac has said that if they release a Ratchet Vita game in the future, it would be a quality port, with them helping out on the project.

As for Jak Vita Port, one of the reasons that ran so badly was because Naughtydog did some crazy things with the PS2 hardware and coding. Google it.

See I'm pretty sure that's what they said about FFA. As much as I love Insomniac I don't really hold too much faith in their help with downporters.

I can't seem to find anything regarding Jak's magic PS2 sauce that ND made. Link?
Rodney McKay
Member
(04-05-2014, 07:04 AM)
Rodney McKay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Silky

Stuff like God of War, Jak, etc...they sort of work on Vita. Ratchet? Nah breh

Actually, yeh breh.

Even though the Ratchet games added more Third Person Shooter style controls with Going Commando and a bit more so in Up Your Arsenal, the crouch button and first person aiming mode were almost never used in my experience (outside of throwing the wrench. There's so much auto-aim you barely have to aim with anything other than the shitty sniper rifle. They are hardly "Trigger heavy" games outside of steady aim (L1) and shoot (R1). I think the later games made "Boost shoes" to a a trigger, but I don't think that was until the PS3.

Hell, the PSP Ratchet games played just fine and that system didn't even have a second analog stick or a touch screen. (they weren't the best Ratchet games, but not because they didn't play well)

FFA was definitely a shitty port, no doubt about that, but it was a PS3 game they were (foolishly) trying to get running on the Vita. It ended up looking like a PC game on the lowest possible settings and still ran like trash. I'd have slightly more faith that they could make a half-way decent port of the PS2 Ratchet games for the Vita since those are quite simple graphically (No open worlds like in Jak 2 or 3).
Flandy
Member
(04-05-2014, 07:06 AM)
Flandy's Avatar
I'm terrified of any ports Sony does after the Jak Collection. Please have Bluepoint, Hexadrive, or someone else competent to the ports Sony :\ I'm not going to support these shitty, sub native, sub 30 fps ports.
Takao
Hello friend!
Have you heard the good news about Medabots?!
(04-05-2014, 07:10 AM)
Takao's Avatar

Originally Posted by Silky

See I'm pretty sure that's what they said about FFA. As much as I love Insomniac I don't really hold too much faith in their help with downporters.

I can't seem to find anything regarding Jak's magic PS2 sauce that ND made. Link?

Insomniac made those comments after FFA Vita.

As for Jak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT4Ppbg257g
Ruud_Luiten
Member
(04-05-2014, 07:15 AM)
Ruud_Luiten's Avatar
Jak Vita was ok, not as bad as soms are saying.

Thread Tools