• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy coming to vita?

Drago

I'm terrified of any ports Sony does after the Jak Collection. Please have Bluepoint, Hexadrive, or someone else competent to the ports Sony : I'm not going to support these shitty, sub native, sub 30 fps ports.
Are there any sub-30fps PS2 ports on Vita aside from Jak? MGS and FFX are both at or sometimes above 30fps iirc, and given Sanzaru is developing I imagine the Sly collection will have a steady framerate as well (and I think screenshots confirmed native res for that too, they look really crisp). Who knows how GoW will turn out though. Unless I'm forgetting some PS2 collections, most ports have at least maintained 30fps.

Shame most of them are sub-native though, but that doesn't bother me all that much (most of the time) so whatever :/

Flandy

Are there any sub-30fps PS2 ports on Vita aside from Jak? MGS and FFX are both at or sometimes above 30fps iirc, and given Sanzaru is developing I imagine the Sly collection will have a steady framerate as well (and I think screenshots confirmed native res for that too, they look really crisp). Who knows how GoW will turn out though. Unless I'm forgetting some PS2 collections, most ports have at least maintained 30fps.

Shame most of them are sub-native though, but that doesn't bother me all that much (most of the time) so whatever :/

Jak is the only PS2 port Sony did for the Vita which is why I specified them. I have the FFX/X-2 and MGS Collections. They both run fine even if MGS 2 has different frame rates depending on where you are

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

Honestly I would never know MGS collection on Vita was not full native res if it weren't DF and maybe two small parts in game. For 720x448 it was looking pretty damn good.

Drago

Jak is the only PS2 port Sony did for the Vita which is why I specified them. I have the FFX/X-2 and MGS Collections. They both run fine even if MGS 2 has different frame rates depending on where you are
Ah, alright.

Honestly I would never know MGS collection on Vita was not full native res if it weren't DF and maybe two small parts in game. For 720x448 it was looking pretty damn good.
Yeah, I thought MGS2 looked and ran pretty great on the system. The little I played of MGS3 on Vita looked and played fine as well. Armature did a good job.

rjc571

Banned
That sounds like an incredibly uncomfortable experience. It doesn't help that the Vita has no clickable sticks L3/R3. Will the touchpad be able to substitute that? I doubt it.

What's your problem with that control scheme? Do you think every game that uses all 4 face buttons is uncomfortable? The Ratchet games don't use L3/R3 for anything important, so that point doesn't make any sense either.

Ah, alright.

Yeah, I thought MGS2 looked and ran pretty great on the system. The little I played of MGS3 on Vita looked and played fine as well. Armature did a good job.

MGS2 ran significantly worse on the Vita than it did on the PS2.

Absolutely YES. The third game is one of the best games of all time. So much fun and infinitely replayable. You throw in that multiplayer and make it portable and...

3f69fe2bc49728ce872f3f039ef833ce.png

That I can have Jak II and Ratchet 3 portable... what an age we live in. Oh and the Jak Trilogy was absolutely fine. The novelty of the titles being portable outweighed the slight technical flaws for me!

VLiberty

Don't fuck this up Sony

Please

I've waited too much to have this on a handheld

:lol

So SCEA's strategy since 31st of May 2012, regardless of if this is true or not, is HD Collections in lieu of native Vita games. There's a lot of things you can say about SCE Vita support but they haven't left it completely for dead yet. And I like to think they never will. I wonder how Sony will define their first commercial "failure".

fixed.

SCEJ and SCEE never made a single late port for Vita iirc, while SCEA hasn't released a single Vita-exclusive game since Resistance

Tsunamo

I would love to play 1-3 on a portable, they're great fun and the type of games I can come back to over and over again and still enjoy.

I really hope they're decent ports.

Silky

Banned
Bad wording, I think produced may be a better word.

Tearaway is a SCEE game.

Sly Cooper 4 came out for Vita. Sanzaru's american-based.

That being said, it's been a year and a few days since SCEA put something out on Vita that wasn't a port

VeeP

See I'm pretty sure that's what they said about FFA. As much as I love Insomniac I don't really hold too much faith in their help with downporters.

I can't seem to find anything regarding Jak's magic PS2 sauce that ND made. Link?

I think the reason they said that WAS because the FFA port was so horrid lol.

As for Jak, first it used Andy Gavins unique programming language. And, because Naughtydog was first party, they were able to do things with the hardware and coding other developers couldn't. They did this with Crash & Jak. I'm sorry, but I couldn't find a link for that. Here's some quotes on the development of Jak, and some links about the development of Jak & Crash at the bottom:

It was an ambitious title for its time. What were the biggest challenges in realising your original vision?

Andy Gavin: Like every first-on-a-system Naughty Dog game, Jak had a rocky development. First of all, the PS2 was difficult to program, particularly in those early days when no workable examples or libraries existed. On top of that, I made the audacious choice to write the entire game in a programming language of my own design called GOAL, creating a brand new compiler and debugger from scratch. In addition, to realise the ambitious graphical goals, we invented a roster of brand new technologies: several different level of detail systems, perhaps 10 rendering engines, seamless loading from DVD, advanced runtime physics and joint animation systems to rival the offline tools. It was really, really crazy and basically took us about 20 months just on the engineering side before the engine was able to produce the kind of levels we wanted.

VG: Co-founder Andy Gavin and yourself have spoken in the past about some of the technological wizardry that made Crash Bandicoot possible on PlayStation hardware. What role did this “outside-the-box” thinking take during the development of Jak and Daxter? Were any similar programming tricks or design workarounds necessary to achieve your vision?

JR: We definitely pulled a lot of tricks with Jak and Daxter. By the time the PlayStation 2 rolled around Naughty Dog had a policy of rewriting everything from the hardware up. Sony provided tools for making games that made it easier for developers. They also sucked a huge amount of potential out of the game because they were general purpose and casually written. By doing exactly what the game needed, and writing it in the most advantageous way possible we always scraped a little more out of the hardware than anyone else. And we were good at tricks. Game making is always a bit of a magic show. No game, even today, comes anywhere close to modeling gravity, collision, rendering, etc. of the real world. By using tricks and shortcuts, we come close enough for the hardware of the time. The more creative your tricks, the better the game feels. In the same way, no magician actually pulls a rabbit out of a hat. But our rabbit trick was better than most of the competition. Naughty Dog is still one of the best at the magic show. The fire, or snow, or crumbling buildings in Uncharted is not real, but most of the time it is more real than the competition’s.

Making Crash (Great Read)

Video on Jak & Daxter Development

Rise of Naughtydog

Magwik

Banned
The devs who did the PS3 port had a hard ass time getting it on the PS3. I imagine the Vita version of the Jak games were like a nightmare.
Ratchet and Clank should be much easier to bring over.

^ I think Naughty Dog said they did crazy things like use the CPU intended for PS1 emulation, which nobody was really meant to do. It was basically using every bit of the PS2's hardware, they didn't future-proof it for ports. It's true I think that R&C were a lot more straight-forward, tech wise.

We'll wait and see how the God of War/Sly Trilogy ports are I guess.

Son Of D

Not to defend that port (it was truly atrocious), but that was a PS3 game they strangely decided to lazily port onto the Vita, as apposed to a PS2 game.

Jak was quite a bad Vita port as well. Although on the other hand I've heard good things about MGS and FFX Vita ports.

The devs who did the PS3 port had a hard ass time getting it on the PS3. I imagine the Vita version of the Jak games were like a nightmare.
Ratchet and Clank should be much easier to bring over.

That's interesting. When I still had a PS3 that had bc, the Jak games ran perfectly on it but the Ratchet games lagged and stuttered terribly. I was told bc PS3s had good emulation of like 90% of PS2 games and the Ratchets were among the unlucky few. Obviously emulation and porting are not the same thing, just something that had me wondering.

I've heard terrible things about the Jak Vita collection. I adored the Jak games and loved the thought of playing them handheld but everyone seems to advise against it. Is there nothing that can be done patch wise for that collection? Not that I would expect such a patch even if it was possible. I think I may bite the bullet and buy it soon either way, it's gotten cheap.

I've heard terrible things about the Jak Vita collection. I adored the Jak games and loved the thought of playing them handheld but everyone seems to advise against it. Is there nothing that can be done patch wise for that collection? Not that I would expect such a patch even if it was possible. I think I may bite the bullet and buy it soon either way, it's gotten cheap.

It's weird, but it depends on your mileage. I found the framerate/input lag pretty tolerable. Again, as I've said before, it depends how much the novelty of having such great games portable appeals to you.

Having never played any of the sly or ratchet games, I keenly await their release. Me having overlooked a lot of notable ps2 games plus never having had a ps3 means I don't have as much port fatigue as some people.

It's weird, but it depends on your mileage. I found the framerate/input lag pretty tolerable. Again, as I've said before, it depends how much the novelty of having such great games portable appeals to you.

Jak and Daxter portable is pretty damn appealing. :D
That alone would really make it for me even if 2 and 3 didn't play as well. I could always get the PS3 version for those other two.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Brilliant. Looking forward to this. I just hope it's a great port at Vita native resolution.

AwRy108

So what was the consensus on this?

The ports are nearly flawless. Mass Media used the code from the PS3's "HD" versions, and did a terrific job with it. The framerate is smooth and essentially rock-solid. Yes, there is a lack of AA (might be 2X?), but it's off-set by how great the rest of the port is. I'd say these ports are on par with the Sly ports, though slightly better b/c everything is inherently so much brighter, which suits portable play.

My only complaints lie with the first game in the series: there seems to be an incredibly slight delay with the control inputs; but it's so slight that I'm not even sure if it's real or if it's just the fact that the first game in the series played slightly different when compared to its follow-ups. Either way, I played through the entire game and enjoyed every second with it. Also in the first game, as others have mentioned, sometimes the music and/or some of the sound effects will disappear, though they always come back.

If you have a Vita, you're crazy not to pick these up on PSN: IMHO, the original 3 R&C games are true classics, and deserve to be regarded as highly as some of Nintendo's best works. The Vita ports do these games justice, and having them portable is just the icing on the cake.

Hellraider

Same here, except for the audio, it's fine for me except when the music disappears on some planets for no reason.

You don't have the sound bugs? You can use pyrocitor and tesla claw without making your ears bleed? You lucky bastard!

EDIT: Jack collection is terrible. It's not fair to compare the R&C one with it.

VLiberty

I'd suggest to avoid the cart version as R&C2 on cart is broken and will freeze every time you'll go to a satellite(e.g. Thug Battlesphere, Giant Clank's levels, space levels) You will still be able to finish the game but you won't be able to get Map-o-matic and the game will freeze at least about 10 times during an usual run.

As for the collection itself, the first game has a bad glitch that halves the OST as a lot of BGMs won't play. Which is a shame given how great R&C's ost is. Also, as someone said before, the first game has input lag too.

Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal are fine for the bits I've tried, no input lag and no sound glitches.

Yes, frame rate is rock solid (but still half of the PS2/3 versions)

If you have a Vita, you're crazy not to pick these up on PSN: IMHO, the original 3 R&C games are true classics, and deserve to be regarded as highly as some of Nintendo's best works. The Vita ports do these games justice, and having them portable is just the icing on the cake.

I totally agree with you on that.

AwRy108

Good Impressions.

Will pick this up

Trust me, you'll be pleased; especially with Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal.

Oh, and FYI in regards to the first two titles: the upper-right quadrant of the Vita's back touch functions as the R2 button, and it works relatively well at locking your character into strafe mode for the more demanding shooting sections. Up Your Arsenal actually has a "Lock-strafe" control scheme, so there's no need for the back touch functionality in that title.

Top Bottom