• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lemma (Absrtact Parkour, Blocks and annoying Cellphone Texting)

Techies

110 Meg demo, which lasted me 3 hours which technically makes this a full fledged game going by today's standards of some AAA games that I shall not mention.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/lemma/downloads/build-353

I had to re-do some areas though, I ended up breaking things I shouldn't of. It's still WIP afterall. But overall the movement feels pretty good and it's truly a game you just have to try out yourself, it's all in the feeling. Would be interesting to see what more could be done put more "game" in it.

The game currently provides you with lots of freedom in order to get from place A to B.

Don't think I can remember being able to see my "wobbly" legs when doing that wall-run (must of fixed it the build I played).
FrailDizzyBarasingha.gif

Other moves you can do, gameplay etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRM46aXnYU&feature=youtu.be&t=2m15s

Lemma is what I consider a diamond in the rough, with just a couple of rough edges. So far one the roughest edges is gotta be that annoying Cellphone used to convey the story, but atm it's more like the root of evil.

Apart from that it's definitely one of the most notable indies I've played to date.

Techies

Wow, the game looks pretty good. The guy's also running a Kickstarter right now, though it's not going so well :(

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/et1337/lemma-first-person-parkour

There's only one explanation for this:

The Cellphone:
f562700950f7876c8e2f0d2b1bcbfff4_large.jpg

That or kickstarter is starting to run dry:

Or it's just because of backlogs, I had bookmarked this game like 1 month ago and only just yesterday got myself to give it a go.

I'm still going with that phone though.

On another note:
4961880174ba0b40951459370d29f998_large.gif

I couldn't get myself to do this bit due to the controls or something else I'm missing. Luckily you only get that ability at the very end of the campaign and in sandbox.

Techies

Not funded :(

Developers head is in the right place though:

Here we are folks, counting down the last remaining Kickstarter hours!

I'm happy to announce that regardless of the Kickstarter outcome, production of Lemma will continue.

To be honest, I originally planned to cancel everything if the campaign failed. I figured a failed Kickstarter would be a sign that people aren't interested, and that I should cut my losses (nearly 4 years of work) and move on. But in the past month I realized a few things:

I was kind of shocked at first to find out that people love the game. I'm continually surprised and delighted that people can look past all the flaws and garner an enjoyable experience out of something I've created.
I overestimated the amount of work ahead of me. I thought people would blow through the demo in no time and complain about how short it was. The reality is, not a single Let's Player has finished the demo in one video without a lot of editing. Some of that is due to frustrations with level design and controls, but a lot of it is just that people like to explore the world and figure things out for themselves, which is amazing. Armed with that knowledge, I'm much more confident that I can create the experience I want in a reasonable amount of time.
Running a successful Kickstarter takes a lot more than just a great vision with a solid prototype. I failed big-time in the PR department, partly due to lack of experience, and partly because I'm just bad at it. I make games, I don't sell them.
With that in mind, I realize now that if a Kickstarter fails, it doesn't necessarily mean the idea is not worth pursuing. Many failed campaigns later re-launch and go on to exceed their goals. (I won't be doing that because I don't want to take any more time away from development.)

Knowing all that, I'm confident that I can find the necessary resources to make this game happen even if we don't reach our Kickstarter goal. It may take more time and money on my part, but it will happen!

In fact, it's happening right now. I better get back to coding!

http://gfycat.com/IcyAromaticGonolek

N° 2048

Soooo this game came out yesterday :p

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300340/

header.jpg

Immersive first-person parkour in a surreal, physics-driven voxel world.

Lemma enables creative building through movement. Spawn structures just by moving through space. Extend platforms, smash through walls, and build new ones, all through parkour moves.

Non-linear story - four possible endings
Oculus Rift support
Original soundtrack (available here)
Time trial mode
Built-in level editor with Steam Workshop support
Xbox 360 Controller support
Free demo available

N° 2048

So far pretty cool game. The notes are very interesting. I only played 15 minutes so far but I am going to keep going, the parkour isn't perfect but pretty smooth.

It supports VR, someone should try that!

Top Bottom