• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V |OT| Card Games on Hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Q7KALVy.png

ugaViAh.jpg

The fifth series of Yu-Gi-Oh has arrived! Yes, the franchise is still going! This time around, they ride around on the Duel Monsters, and they're like circus performers or something.

The Plot:
The setting for the story is a city on the shoreline of Japan called “Maiami City”. The development of their technology is mostly focused on Dueling.

Akaba Reiji is the CEO of Leo Corporation. This company has developed something called “Solid Vision with Mass”, and with its spread around Maiami City, “Action Duel” was born, and is widely popular all around the world.

The children adore Pro Duelists like stars, and they learn the many ways of Dueling and Summoning in different cram schools like “You Show Dueling School” which the main character Sakaki Yuya attends, or “Leo Duel School”, the most influential one around.

One day out of nowhere, Yuya got himself into an Exhibition Duel with the current Pro Dueliest Champion…?

The Characters:
Yuya Sakaki
SCNujEd.png

The top-decking, Heart-of-the-Cards wielding MC, he's a student studying to become an Entertainment Duelist and make people smile through his duels. His hair resembles a tomato. Oh, and his dad is missing.

Yuzu Hiragi
3L4Ont4.png

The female lead, don't expect her to duel much and actually win if past Yu-Gi-Oh series are anything to go by (edit: I was proven wrong by Episode 2). She's Yuya's "straight-man" and helps him hone is dueling skills at the "You Show" Dueling School her father owns.

Reiji Akaba
0OeHo83.png

Hipster Kaiba, he's the CEO of the Leo Corporation as well as a "Super Elite Duelist" with a genius level intellect. Yeah, he's pretty much Kaiba.

Other Kids
GIIeeTHl.jpg

The Duels

Action Duels!
951rMnv.gif

Card Games on...Giant Pink Hippos? The newest form of Dueling, using super-advanced "touchable solid visions", a giant virtual arena is created where the Duels take place! Riding around the field Duelists are able to find "Action Cards", special Quick-Play Spell Cards that can be activated to turn the tide in their favor. This ain't your daddy's Yu-Gi-Oh anymore!

Pendulum Summoning
Pendulum Summoning is the newest mechanic introduced to the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, following 5D's Synchro Monsters and Zexal's Xyz Monsters.
8NqYAoC.png
4IJ5bcZl.png

Pendulum Monsters, such as Magician of Astromancy and Magician of Chronomancy, are special Monster Cards that can be placed in the "Pendulum Zone", two new card zones located to the left and the right of the traditional Spell Card Zone. While in the Pendulum Zone, Pendulum Monsters are treated as Spell Cards, and have unique effects that activate. When they are destroyed after activation, they are also sent to the Extra Deck as opposed to the Graveyard.

Furthermore, when you have a Pendulum Monster in each Pendulum Zone, during your turn you can Special Summon Monsters from your hand or other Pendulum Monsters from your Extra Deck who have a level between the Pendulum Scales on the two Pendulum Monsters, in the case of Astromancy and Chronomancy, this means any Monsters with a level of 2 through 7 can be Special Summoned.

More Hippos!
IlUh6MRl.jpg

Where to Watch?

Sundays on TVTokyo!

4K Media has licensed the series, and will likely be streaming the dub, and possibly official subs, in the near future.

Toad.T

Banned
Q7KALVy.png

ugaViAh.jpg

4KIDS has licensed the series, and will likely be streaming the dub, and possibly official subs, in the near future.

...4Kids doesn't exist anymore, right? Or at least not to the point of dubbing new series. (They still have the rights to Dinosaur King, Viva Pinata and Tai-chi Chasers)

m0t0k1

Dammit i was hoping this would be the announcement of that yu gi oh 3ds game coming to the west, but then i remembered that was a zexal game :(

Watch Da Birdie

...4Kids doesn't exist anymore, right? Or at least not to the point of dubbing new series. (They still have the rights to Dinosaur King, Viva Pinata and Tai-chi Chasers)

Never mind, it's "4K Media Group", which is them following bankruptcy I believe.

Wrong forum, but that new mechanic is all kinds of crazy. I still haven't learned how XYZ or Syncro monsters work, so I'm lost as fuck. lol

Watch Da Birdie

Wrong forum, but that new mechanic is all kinds of crazy. I still haven't learned how XYZ or Syncro monsters work, so I'm lost as fuck. lol

It's pretty easy in basis though, but I agree the explanation is a bit confusing.

Basically you have two Pendulum Monsters on either side, let's say one is Level 1, the other is Level 8.

You can then special summon any Monsters in your Hand, or Pendulum Monsters in your Extra Deck, that is Level 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7, and you Special Summon as many as you have empty Monster Spaces for.

Randdalf

It's pretty easy in basis though, but I agree the explanation is a bit confusing.

Basically you have two Pendulum Monsters on either side, let's say one is Level 1, the other is Level 8.

You can then special summon any Monsters in your Hand, or Pendulum Monsters in your Extra Deck, that is Level 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7, and you Special Summon as many as you have empty Monster Spaces for.

Well that sounds overpowered ... to say the least.

Castcoder

Banned
And this is why I refuse to touch Yu-Gi-Oh.

Edit: If Magic can't be in the Gaming Discussion forum (irony, yes), then a mod needs to move this forum to Off-Topic.

Gamerloid

I'll see what's the deal with this show. My favorite series is 5DS, and I really disliked Zexal which this art style reminds me of... I'm hoping for a more mature cast like the original and 5DS, instead of hyperactive heroes like GX and Zexal. I did like GX and Jaden/Judai's growth as a character.

...wow. That's way too rad.
I think I'll hold off from trying to build my deck until these come out.
Definitely sounds better than my planned E-Hero deck. lol

Watch Da Birdie

Personally, while I enjoyed the original Yu-Gi-Oh and its slightly more "serious" nature, my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh experiences have always been the sillier side of it, such as the Noah and DOMA Arc of the original series, and most of GX, which I loved. The fact that this seems to be channeling GX the most has me excited.

I got bored of 5Ds after the second season started, where it notably took a dive in quality, and haven't watched much of Zexal. From what I did watch, however, I enjoyed it in the sense it seemed like it was aimed at newer viewers with some fun throwbacks to the original show, and I heard it improved once it got to Zexal II.

Impression around the net for Arc-V have been positive so far, with most people saying it has a great start compared to Zexal, and Yuya's a fun MC. I have heard that the Action Duels are a bit cheap in that the Action Cards are basically D.E.M., but honestly that never really bothered me in Yu-Gi-Oh.

I had stopped caring about YGO some time ago, but some friends convinced me to watch Zexal and I ended up really liking it. It made me buy a deck for the first time in forever even though I don't play anymore (I just really liked Yuma's deck).

I'll try to follow this series from the beginning...as soon as subs come out.

Sandfox

I'd like to correct number 2 in regards to 5Ds finale:
"Card games on MOTORCYCLES IN SPACE around a EXPLODING SUPERNOVA"

How is the cast?
We really don't get much out of the cast besides Yuya and I like him a lot so far.
Hopefully, bottomless save us.

Yugioh GX- Card games in real life!
You can destroy them with spell/trap destruction so simply running/siding more will be good until we get new spells and traps aimed at protecting us from the new monster type and we'll probably see some either in the upcoming set or the next one. There's also the fact that a lot of decks won't be able to run until Konami starts pumping out new archetypes and support for older ones.

Watch Da Birdie

Was zexal not good or something? I feel like it just started not too long ago.

No, it lasted like 140-some episodes, and from what I heard, it was actually well received in Japan and beat 5Ds in ratings.

A lot of people seem to dislike it, though, but that seems more because it had a weak beginning that simplified things for new viewers, and a typical dumb Shonen Protagonist.

Might give it a watch, but only so I can laugh at how bad it can be. Not saying that the original series was great, but I think every anime barring 5d's has decreased in quality.

Also, Pendulum Summons seem pretty cool. Seems like it can't be as abused like Synchro and Xyz monsters, but I haven't read all the new cards so whatever.

Edit: Also count me as another person who thought that this was a new game. Still waiting on Millenium Duels to come to PSN.

KiraFA37

Thanks Birdie and Sandfox for your quick mini reviews. 5Ds was my favourite YGO series so I was a bit dissapointed that I didn't like Zexal (Or better Yuma) so I'm a bit sceptically since they are using the same setting. I got more confused when I read up on what happened in the second part of Zexal, was a bit over the top for me. I think the premise so far sounds good so I'll keep an eye on it. Now I just need a YGO game for my Vita or 3DS preferable with tag duels.

Was zexal not good or something? I feel like it just started not too long ago.

Protagonist was an idiot that at the start could barely duel and kept yelling Katobingo. I don't know how it went further since I dropped around episode 20. It does have the shortest run of any Yu-gi-oh series thus far (atleast in Japan).

Sandfox

No, it lasted like 140-some episodes, and from what I heard, it was actually well received in Japan and beat 5Ds in ratings.

A lot of people seem to dislike it, though, but that seems more because it had a weak beginning that simplified things for new viewers, and a typical dumb Shonen Protagonist.

I know Zexal was well received but I think that has more to do with 5Ds getting "bad" ratings.

and a typical dumb Shonen Protagonist.

I'm guessing that what turned off some people was the fact that Yuma was just AWFUL at dueling at the beginning rather than the usual already-the-best-ever protagonist the series has (exaggeration obviously but you get me). Personally I thought it was refreshing although a bit frustrating in some of the beginning episodes.

I liked Yuma and seeing him grow, and also the fact that he was just a kid dealing with depression by being overly cheerful using the phrase his father taught him to keep him motivated.

Also I loved Vector, so that's one more point in Zexal's favor.

Majukun

stopped caring about the game exactly when they started making such new bullshit mechanics like the synchro summons

Watch Da Birdie

stopped caring about the game exactly when they started making such new bullshit mechanics like the synchro summons

Yeah, I got out of the actual TCG, but I still find it fun to watch the new mechanics in the show because they're basically cool Shonen-style power-ups.

Looks like shit. At least in my opinion. I thought 5Ds was definitely the best of them all. The main reasons I liked it is the underdog like protagonist and how mature and serious the storyline felt. It's so dark and the music and the environment just felt so good like there's a struggle to be had. Damn, I was hoping the new series would return to a more mature style because of the apparent pattern there was.

Yugioh - more serious
Yugioh GX- more bright but still retains seriousness
Yugioh 5Ds- - returns to the mature story
Yugioh Zexal - way too kiddy looking
Yugioh Arc V - looks like it's taking Zexal to a whole new level

Damn it, so much disappointment with this news!

Sandfox

Looks like shit. At least in my opinion. I thought 5Ds was definitely the best of them all. The main reasons I liked it is the underdog like protagonist and how mature and serious the storyline felt. It's so dark and the music and the environment just felt so good like there's a struggle to be had. Damn, I was hoping the new series would return to a more mature style because of the apparent pattern there was.

Yugioh - more serious
Yugioh GX- more bright but still retains seriousness
Yugioh 5Ds- - returns to the mature story
Yugioh Zexal - way too kiddy looking
Yugioh Arc V - looks like it's taking Zexal to a whole new level

Damn it, so much disappointment with this news!

I don't really see how Yusei was ever the underdog because the show pretty much portrayed him as if he was better than everyone else by a long shot.

Also, Zexal was pretty serious and this one probably will be too once the plot starts rolling.

So it's Zexal on acid. It's now seeing pink hippos flying around.

Good to know this is yet another Yu-Gi-Oh that I won't bother checking out. Haven't done so since 5D's decided to be solely the Yusei-Jack-Crow show. Heck, ever since Aki was relegated to "benchwarmer" status, no main female character properly duels and just act as a cheerleader. Yaaaaaaaaay.

I had a cursory glance at the Pendulum summoning rules and I left more confused than informed. Still, this has reminded me that I used to frequent Yu-Gi-Oh Dueling Network a little while back.

KiraFA37

Yeah, I got out of the actual TCG, but I still find it fun to watch the new mechanics in the show because they're basically cool Shonen-style power-ups.

Idd, in the real card game your opponent might have pulled out 3 cards from his deck , sent cards to the graveyard, added them back to his hand, removed them from play and summoned a bunch of monster all in a single turn. Game is very fast paced when you have certain type of decks so if I play I would prefer to do it on a handheld.

Pendulum Monsters, such as Magician of Astromancy and Magician of Chronomancy, are special Monster Cards that can be placed in the "Pendulum Zone", two new card zones located to the left and the right of the traditional Spell Card Zone. While in the Pendulum Zone, Pendulum Monsters are treated as Spell Cards, and have unique effects that activate. When they are destroyed after activation, they are also sent to the Extra Deck as opposed to the Graveyard.

Furthermore, when you have a Pendulum Monster in each Pendulum Zone, during your turn you can Special Summon Monsters from your hand or other Pendulum Monsters from your Extra Deck who have a level between the Pendulum Scales on the two Pendulum Monsters, in the case of Astromancy and Chronomancy, this means any Monsters with a level of 2 through 7 can be Special Summoned

WHAT?

I don't really see how Yusei was ever the underdog because the show pretty much portrayed him as if he was better than everyone else by a long shot.

Also, Zexal was pretty serious and this one probably will be too once the plot starts rolling.

Hmm. Personally, it was the fact that Yusei was from Satellite that I liked. I admit, I haven't finished Zexal, but is it seriously pretty good?

ugoo18

Hippos?

What happened to this series, post GX era seems to be grasping badly now :/

That Pendulum mechanic is interesting though.

Khezu

Ill give this show a chance, zexal was pretty meh but the first three series were awesome. hope they go back to their roots

tumblr_mf1x2gDQUh1rqmroto2_500.gif

Is there like a clip or something that holds the cards in place or do they all just fall on the ground if they tilt their arm slightly?

Pendulum Summoning
Pendulum Summoning is the newest mechanic introduced to the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG, following 5D's Synchro Monsters and Zexal's Xyz Monsters.
8NqYAoC.png
4IJ5bcZl.png

Furthermore, when you have a Pendulum Monster in each Pendulum Zone, during your turn you can Special Summon Monsters from your hand or other Pendulum Monsters from your Extra Deck who have a level between the Pendulum Scales on the two Pendulum Monsters, in the case of Astromancy and Chronomancy, this means any Monsters with a level of 2 through 7 can be Special Summoned.

Wow... I am so confused with the rules of yugioh now.Since when did the Extra Deck thing became implemented? I don't remember that in the original card game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom