• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3DS version of Zelda Ocarina of Time is amazing.

zlCfzRd80LQrhozMIh

zlCfzRbHwJ0zYJenW_

zlCfzRbHpKcwwPQMTN

zlCfzRbHk0IoBKSw6z

A lot of the little changes they made in this really went a long way to fixing some of the game's more pronounced flaws. It's very hard to go back to the N64 game now even if it has that nostalgia.

PKrockin

It really is a good looking game. I can never decide to play with the vibrant 3D or the smooth antialiasing. With the visual update, the framerate fixed, the easier first-person aiming, faster text speed, and the shiekah stones, it smooths out the few rough edges the original had that could put off newcomers not used to earlier 3D games. I could recommend it to anyone.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I never played Ocarina of Time. I'm trying to decide between this and ALBW as my first 3DS Zelda.

Definitive version, if you ask me. Better framerate, faster text speed, obviously better visuals, better item management, and comes with Master Quest.

Simply beautiful. Going back and trying to play MM on the VC was so hard, I think I'll just wait for the 3DS remake of that, too.

Grief.exe

I never played Ocarina of Time. I'm trying to decide between this and ALBW as my first 3DS Zelda.

I haven't played ALBW as of yet, but if this thread is anything to go buy OOT 3D is the best choice.

It is considered to be one of the best games of all time, and this is the objectively definitive version of that game.

Target does have a B2G1 sale going on right now, why not both .webm

Timeless

OoT 3D > ALBW >= ALttP > ...

I haven't played and/or finished MM or TP.

If you haven't played (preferably finished or at least mostly finished) A Link to the Past, don't play ALBW yet. It gets a lot out of your familiarity with A Link to the Past.

If you have, they're both fantastic. OoT 3D is almost certainly the better choice but it's basically impossible to be disappointed with your decision.

It really is.

This is one reason I was pretty bummed about Link between worlds. Just how well the 3DS handled the 3D gameplay. I really wanted to see them follow up with a completely new 3D Zelda.

When will this ever go on sale :(

Yeah, I played a friend's copy, but I'd love to have my own. I don't think it will ever drop...

I liked the originals colour palette a little more personally, the 3DS version is a tad too bright, but i'd still recommend it over the original to new comers. For me personally though the original just has a certain atmosphere that feels a little more mature even in the child parts.

I actually think they might kind of do Majora's Mask wrong in that regard too, so i'm a little apprehensive towards a remake of it.

Grief.exe

OoT 3D > ALBW >= ALttP > ...

I haven't played and/or finished MM or TP.

If you haven't played (preferably finished or at least mostly finished) A Link to the Past, don't play ALBW yet. It gets a lot out of your familiarity with A Link to the Past.

If you have, they're both fantastic. OoT 3D is almost certainly the better choice but it's basically impossible to be disappointed with your decision.

Might as well wait for MM 3D at this point. Would be a perfect time to release it this year.

nkarafo

I liked the originals colour palette a little more personally, the 3DS version is a tad too bright, but i'd still recommend it over the original to new comers. For me personally though the original just has a certain atmosphere that feels a little more mature even in the child parts.

I actually think they might kind of do Majora's Mask wrong in that regard too, so i'm a little apprehensive towards a remake of it.
This.

I remember Forest Temple having a unique atmosphere on N64, i never saw how it looks on 3DS.

If MM gets a remake on 3DS, it will look brighter. Handheld games tend to have brighter assets, especially on handhelds that don't have a very high brightness/contrast screen. Like how GBA games look so bright when you don't play them on the original GBA hardware. That's why i prefer the WiiU for the MM remake.

The design looks great but look at the colors. 3DS version is colorful and bright. The N64 version looks appropriately dark and depressing. Its Shadow Temple. Its supposed to look dark and depressing.

Asbear

Banned

Save the best for last I'd say -- Play ALBW first and then OoT3D. Being a long-time zelda fan I beat ALBW in 19 hours 100% and I beat OoT3D around 80% completion in 25, and that's after having beaten the original game more than 3 times already. OoT is longer, grander and better but ALBW might be just as fun... it's just the shorter game.

Halcyon

I at one point bought a used 3DS and Ocarina from gamestop just to play it. I beat the game really quick then returned the 3DS.

It was good to go back to OoT, but I like the nostalgia of the 64 version. I actually prefer the blurry flat town from 64 over the polygons in the 3ds.

Ghosting Shmosting. Such a minor artifact to let ruin one's experience. You guys with your sensitive eyes must go blind for a few days if and when you accidentally glance at the sun
:D

BACK IN MY DAY WE COULD BARELY SEE OUR ZELDA GAME UNLESS IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT, HAD TO USE WORM LIGHTS AT NIGHT THAT BLOCKED OUR VIEW AND WASHED OUT THE GAME TO ALL HELL YADDA YADDA

The improvements to this installment were very tasteful and respectful to the spirit of the game. Very exciting to have one of the greatest games of all-time make use of the latest handheld technology. The most encompassing and immersive experience on the 3DS for me. 10/10

This.

I remember Forest Temple having a unique atmosphere on N64, i never saw how it looks on 3DS.

If MM gets a remake on 3DS, it will look brighter. Handheld games tend to have brighter assets, especially on handhelds that don't have a very high brightness/contrast screen. Like how GBA games look so bright when you don't play them on the original GBA hardware. That's why i prefer the WiiU for the MM remake.

The design looks great but look at the colors. 3DS version is colorful and bright. The N64 version looks appropriately dark and depressing. Its Shadow Temple. Its supposed to look dark and depressing.

The game is concepted as a handheld game, so if you play it outside, you will see that it nearly is as dark as the N64 version due to the daylight. Also I don't think the temple is more colorful, the lighting is just better.

This.

I don't care about it in OoT, but yeah, I don't wanna see MM3D since it's gonna be too colourful on 3DS for sure.

Huggers

I just played through this on WII VC, doing Majoras Mask right now after not having played them in years. I hadn't realised how slick the 3DS version of OOT was. Might have to grab it as I'm going to pick up a 3DS for the new Zelda anyway

Wolfe

Some of you guys are ridiculous, but that's GAF for ya I guess.

Protip: play the old one I guess? Plenty of us on here love and prefer the remake and will gladly buy a copy of MM given the same treatment.

Too bright... this version shits all over the original :p

Top Bottom