• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

I don't know if 'Deep Labyrinth' was ever a game that got noticed, but it had some really interesting looking full 3D graphics that I'd love to see upscaled.

<3 Deep Labyrinth. The OST carried that game, but I have very fond memories of it. If I had a more capable machine, I'd go take HD shots.

baphomet

Emulation doesn't change the game, it just presents it at a higher resolution. Everything you see here the DS did; you just see it more clearly now because it's rendered at a much higher resolution.

Yes, I know how emulation works. Being able to render something significantly higher than the actual system doesn't represent the actual hardware. Rendering a PS1 game with internal resolution of 1080p doesn't mean the game actually looks like that. Even more so here because the DS has screens as part of the hardware.

Even the native emulator shots in this thread don't remotely represent how games look on the DS.

Aquamarine, would you be able to do Trackmania DS/Trackmania Turbo?

So the fog got a little messed up in Trackmania Turbo when playing in native resolution. I apologise in advance for that.

The key here is to look for all the tiny details that usually get missed playing in native resolution. The developers really packed in a whole bunch of detail that usually just gets washed out.

Original Trackmania DS:

6yvQ3El.png
RT0kS8k.png

Trackmania Turbo:

batbeg

You are a star. One of my favorite PC/Wii/DS games, and it would be amazing to one day see a phone emulator capable of doing something like this.

Nothing has me blown away quite as much as Infinite Space though. I never played that title despite it sounding interesting, but those shots are something else. Wizard of Oz looks crazy as well, but I already knew that was a great looking title.

oneils

Anyone have tips for making the emulator run a game in full screen? Or as close as possible?

I'd love to play dragon quest IX like this. But I'd like to somehow figure out how to make it fill the screen without looking too awful (I get that some stretching will be required).

Pizza

uuuuuuuuuuuuugh this thread reminds me how much i hate the new look for pokemon: those sprite-on-polygon environments are past perfect. no need for those silly rendered models

Seik

Banned
Totally forgot about this thread, yet it's this very one that hyped me for DS emulation.

It's why I bought that little, very useful gizmo, too.

uX1M283.jpg

Unfortunately the emulator seems to slow down a lot at 4X Native, surprisingly. I guess it's just not optimized for this enough yet. Hopefully it'll happen soon though!

Here's a couple of shot I just took. I need to contribute a bit now that I bought the damn thing. :p

Resident Evil Deadly Silence

chris-dszyyw3.png
jilldscoygx.png

Nanostray

nanostray1muupb.png
nanostray201uld.png

Seik

Banned
Sorry Seik but your gonna have to explain what that little gizmo is.

It's a SMS4, a USB dongle with which you can slap any DS game in to rip the game on your PC so you can play with your own ROMs.

See this like a Retrode (SNES/GEN carts) but for DS games, I can back up all my games and even the saves files!

It took me a while to finally find a decent, quick way to rip my library. I tried the Acekart 2i trick with internet, but my DS isn't able to get my wireless now for some reason. After this little investment I took a little break then I tried to look for something else a couple of months later, then I found the SMS4.

It's pretty much exactly what I wanted, you install the little ripping software on your PC, slap the USB dongle in, with the DS cart in it and BOOM you rip it and depending on the game's size it'll take 5 - 15 minutes until it's done.

Thing is, it wasn't easy to find a seller that wasn't some weird, chinese website that was asking for credit cards without accepting Paypal account, which sounded way too risky for me. Then I found this website, which doesn't actually show they use paypal on the side, but it's actually an option when you're checking out!

I was still on the fence a bit, but I took a chance, turns out I got it and everything worked out fine!

sn00zer

Man I would love games that looked like this....or were designed from the ground up to look sharp with low poly

mollipen

Fancy $500 NES? Forget that. In the future, when mobile tech is up to snuff, I want someone to release an unofficial DS that has this kind of stuff built into it, where you can play all of your carts in either original or upgraded mode.

Rich!

seeing these screenshots makes me excited for the future of 3DS emulation. Citra is a 3DS emulator that's in development and is making decent progress (still very early, can only load homebrew and basic titles at a low fps).

But look at how far Dolphin has come in the last few years. I remember when it could only run Wind Waker's title screen at 2fps.

It's gonna be amazing being able to play Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask 3D in full native 1080p or even 4K. And of course, 3D support too.

octopiggy

It's a SMS4, a USB dongle with which you can slap any DS game in to rip the game on your PC so you can play with your own ROMs.

See this like a Retrode (SNES/GEN carts) but for DS games, I can back up all my games and even the saves files!

It took me a while to finally find a decent, quick way to rip my library. I tried the Acekart 2i trick with internet, but my DS isn't able to get my wireless now for some reason. After this little investment I took a little break then I tried to look for something else a couple of months later, then I found the SMS4.

It's pretty much exactly what I wanted, you install the little ripping software on your PC, slap the USB dongle in, with the DS cart in it and BOOM you rip it and depending on the game's size it'll take 5 - 15 minutes until it's done.

Thing is, it wasn't easy to find a seller that wasn't some weird, chinese website that was asking for credit cards without accepting Paypal account, which sounded way too risky for me. Then I found this website, which doesn't actually show they use paypal on the side, but it's actually an option when you're checking out!

I was still on the fence a bit, but I took a chance, turns out I got it and everything worked out fine!

This sounds interesting. I'm guessing there's no way to put your saves back on to the original cartridge? I mean if you've lost/corrupted your save or on the cart, or even lost the physical cartridge could you put your backed-up save on a new cartridge?

Seik

Banned
This sounds interesting. I'm guessing there's no way to put your saves back on to the original cartridge? I mean if you've lost/corrupted your save or on the cart, or even lost the physical cartridge could you put your backed-up save on a new cartridge?

Good question, because I actually never tinkered with this option, mainly by fear to actually corrupt one of my saves. :lol

The option do to it is there is on the software, though.

XMSK9SM.png

epmode

Man I would love games that looked like this....or were designed from the ground up to look sharp with low poly

Simple textures on low poly objects can look pretty great when rendered at high resolution. I love that aesthetic.

Two recent examples of this: Kentucky Route Zero (PC) and Monument Valley (iOS)

As for older games, Homeworld (PC) is beautiful to this day.

SmZA

Thanks so much, I just sold my old DS and was considering whether to get rid of the games as well but this is a good short-term solution.

Now I just need a retron, and a similar device for N64 games and I'll have a decent non-pirate retro console.

Famassu

So how playable are some of the more touch screen intensive games on DS emulators? Could I future-proof my copy of Kirby: Canvas Curse by ripping it and then being able to play it 10 years from now when my OG Phat DS has died and perhaps 3DS XL has gone bye bye as well? Should I even bother with Ouendan?

Harro

The emulator really need a texture filtering option, some textures are too muche pixelated when you upscale.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215
hotel_dusk.1png.png

Dragon Ball Shin Butoden
dragon_ball_ultimate_butouden.png

Golden Sun Dark Dawn
golden_sun_dark_dawn.png

Wizard of Oz
wizard-of-oz.gif

If only we could insert custom texture.

WillyFive

Yeah, the lack of texture filtering is the one thing DS graphics sorely needed; despite being able to do polygons and detail that is better than an N64 and approaching Dreamcast quality, the lack of texture filtering keeps it in the realm of the PS1 and Saturn.

Yeah, the lack of texture filtering is the one thing DS graphics sorely needed; despite being able to do polygons and detail that is better than an N64 and approaching Dreamcast quality, the lack of texture filtering keeps it in the realm of the PS1 and Saturn.

..what?

WillyFive

You haven't noticed the images in this thread? Games like Phantasy Star Zero and Wizard of Oz are fantastic. Add texture filtering to them and they would right up there with Dreamcast games. Even the cutscenes from Sonic Rush Adventure would be right up there with the original Sonic Adventure.

samn

I kinda like the pixelated look.

DungeonO

The use of the word "what" in a text based conversation is always so perplexing to me. Especially when he typed that out rather clear, and there are plenty of pictures in this thread to back up his opinion. He's saying the DS puts out graphics that fall between PS1/N64 and the Dreamcast. What could you possibly not understand about that? Or, do you disagree with him? If so, why?

The use of the word "what" in a text based conversation is always so perplexing to me. Especially when he typed that out rather clear, and there are plenty of pictures in this thread to back up his opinion. He's saying the DS puts out graphics that fall between PS1/N64 and the Dreamcast. What could you possibly not understand about that? Or, do you disagree with him? If so, why?

I assume they're saying what because they don't understand (like me) what the post actually means.

Your point is valid though, when you just post that it's hard to know exactly which part they are referring to, if you need clarification you should say so & not leave it ambiguous like that.

Top Bottom