• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a game you like in a genre you don't like.

The first real SRPG I played was Fire Emblem on the GBA, and after trying some of the other well praised games in the genre like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Devil Survivor and others I came to the realization that I just don't like SRPGs all that much but something about Fire Emblem struck a chord with me.

PensOwl

Banned
Ghost Trick - Never expressed interest in VNs. I'm looking to change that however.

Batman: Arkham City - The only decent open world game I've come across.

Windforce

UFC 2010 Undisputed (PS3) - not a fan of sports games but this one was a lot of fun.

Call of Duty Ghosts (PS4) - not a fan of FPS but man this game was fun. Campaign was ok, Extinction Mode was totally awesome. Got the Platinum for this game!

llotus

Neo Member
It was some college football game on the gamecube I think. My cousin and I would dunk numerous hours into this game. I really hate sports games but my cousin wanted me to play video games with him and this was pretty much all he had. It hooked me and like I said we played that game like it was a job. Good times

Sort of related to that memory but not the topic, I got him interested in RPGs with one of those Champions of Norrath or something like that on the PS2 where we both played. It was like a diablo esque game set in the D&D universe I think. He fucking loved the game and he never played anything other than sports, driving, and hunting games.

World in Conflict

Not a fan of the RTS genre because it's usualy too hectic for me but blowing shit up in WiC felt amazing. I even finished the game.

Xilium

FPS - Borderlands Series (Though to be fair, they're more of a hybrid FPS/RPG than pure shooter and I play the most RPG-like of the classes, Siren)

Character Action - DMC: Devil May Cry (It's the only one that's clicked for me. Not really sure why)

Open-World RPG - Fallout: New Vegas (Only one I've ever managed to finish. Get bored with the others relatively quick)

Sandbox - Saints Row 3/4 (the goofiness just makes it work for me) and Infamous: Second Son (if that counts as a sandbox)

Puzzle Platformer - Mischief Makers (The most fun I've ever had with a platformer)

Carnby

Left 4 Dead

I don't like either First Person Shooters, or online multiplayer modes, but I really enjoyed playing that game for a month.

Synth

Turn-Based Strategy: Valkyria Chronicles
Online RPG: Phantasy Star Online
Sports: NBA Jam Tournament Edition

GamerJM

Banned
Don't like third person shooters, but I love Gunvalkyrie. I liked it because it was about movement more than aiming, and felt like you were controlling a real character instead of a just a targeting reticule.

I'd recommend EX Troopers if you're not opposed to importing. I don't usually like 3PS games for that reason, but EX Troopers definitely feels like this since the game has auto-lock-on so the entire game is designed around movement and controlling your character.

On the flip side this post made me more interested in Gunvalkyrie than I was before, though I was already semi-interested knowing the developer.

Tifanfall for an FPS. I've never been much of a fan of the genre, but I love how fast-paced Titanfall is and how easy it is to learn. The emphasis on platforming to succeed definitely makes it more user-friendly.

Chettlar

Banned
Forgot Forza Horizon.

I generally just don't really enjoy racing games. Don't hate 'em, but they get boring very quickly. I played the Forza Horizon demo, however, and was like "OMG THIS IS AMAZING" and straitaway played Forza 4 all the way to level 50 for all the extra cars you get in Horizon for doing that.

Yeah. I love Horizon enough to go play Motorsport 4 to Driver Level 50 just to have some extra cars in it. Crazy.

What I would do for a sequel. Especially in the deep South like it's rumored to be.

Drago

I generally don't like (J)RPGs that much, but Earthbound and Mother 3 are two of my favorite games of all time (the latter being my #1).

Chromax

I can only play LoL. Other moba are the death of me. However I will differently try my hardest to get into HotS. (Smite is fine too)

Vibranium

Banned
I guess I'm not a huge fan of arcade-style shooters, but Resogun is so damn addicting for me, so that would be the one. I can't wait until the rumored DLC shows up.

LegendX48

Devil Survivor Overclocked

I do not like the SRPG genre, I simply do not find any enjoyment or fun in it. That said, Overclocked was kind of a blast to play and my first (and only) SMT game lol

Kriken

Vanquish in the shooters genre. It's not that I don't like shooters, I just find a lot of them rather boring for long periods of time. Not so with Vanquish

I got ridiculously into Fire Emblem for GBA despite not caring about JRPGs at all and finding handheld games uncomfortable to play. Though the strategy-game elements and having a Game Boy Player probably helped with that.

I beat the game like five times--I imagine well over 100 hours playtime total--and even went through the mind-numbingly tedious process of getting support conversations. I got like 2/3s of the supports by the time I was done with the game. I even enjoyed the storyline despite my usual aversion to anime tropes. Despite getting into that game, though, I did not enjoy the other Fire Emblems nearly as much. They all felt like imitations of that game, and I had already burned myself out on the GBA one.

Also, despite not caring about sports, I played an assload of NHL 94 for the Genesis.

Sometimes, playing a game outside your comfort zone can surprise you.

Fire Emblem is more of an SRPG, no?

I'm like you. I don't like JRPGs, but I like strategy gameplay. So I love Fire Emblem.

Dysun

Fire Emblem Awakening for Strategy Games
StarCraft 2 for Real Time Strategy Games

I got into both of them even though I don't care much for the genre

Top Bottom