• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any fans of The Bouncer out there?

The Bouncer. Back in the day I remember seeing the commercials and trailers and being wowed by how it looked. Sold me on a PS2 even though EX3 & Tag 1 had it as a lock when it dropped in the US.

The game was and is still fun. Playing it recently proved that much. This game just needed a bit more time to be a better game. Additional Story Modes for the other characters; 3 Player Story Mode & Trinity Attacks in Multiplayer.

And that soundtrack. So good!

I really think that this game could've worked as a HD Remaster with online for both modes and 3P Local Story Mode. But that's too much work for Square for something that didn't quite live up to their expectations.

Would've easily worked in a collection with both Tobal games & Ehrgeiz given this game's lineage.

One day I'll have my dream of owning a replica of Sion's Black Dog Street Hoodie. So sick.
I remember having to fight "dark" Sion in the survival mode, if I remember correctly.

ksdixon

aww man, just saw that demo. destructible environments would have been badass! as an old scrolling beat 'em up fan, i was hopeful the bouncer would be a new beginning for these games in 3D. There's no games out today like The Bouncer are there?

Korigama

Lost count of how many times I played through this. Not the best in terms of gameplay, but there was a certain charm that kept me attached to it.

Imm0rt4l

Game was short as fuck and a huge disappointment, especially if you saw the emotion engine tech demo which featured the bouncer. Kou Leifoh was that dude though. Also DORAGON C. MIKADO.

RIP Dreamfactory

I just beat it again tonight. It emulates really well in PCSX2, and still looks nice for a game that game out in 2000. I played the Japanese version and was pleased to find bilingual options for both text and dialogue, which must've been pretty forward-thinking at the time.

The art direction is really TOP NOTCH and oozes Tetsuya Nomura style. It's pretty easy to determine that Sion was a prototype Sora. Kingdom Hearts character designs even make reference back to Dog Street, the fictional fashion brand of The Bouncer. I've got a couple Japanese Bouncer artbooks that I'm going to have to dig out. It's a shame that this game didn't let you explore more of its very interesting world. Also a shame that the characters' backstories are hinted at but don't get much exposure.

I can understand why people were disappointed with it, but it's a fun 2hour romp if you don't expect the world from it.

Also, for lulz, the game's official website is still online:
http://www.thebouncer-game.com/flash_e/index.html

No escape, son

volt_i.jpg

Look at them turn ups!

Top Bottom