• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Reflexes, or am I getting old?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I've just been playing Shinobi 3DS,
While I love it some of the jump hazards are too frustrating for me, I can't react fast enough or miss time it and keep jumping in the wrong direction and then to my death.

I honestly believe the younger me could've got through some sections easier, is it lack of time to devote to the game that is holding me back or can you lose reaction time ?

I feel the same way playing street fighter sometimes too, I know how to pull off special moves and basic two to three hit combos but anymore I just start button mashing, about 50/50 it's what I intended to do.

Nowadays I play a lot of games on easy setting as it frustrates me having to keep playing sections over and over again. I just want to play for the enjoyment of it, If a higher difficulty means more enjoyment then I will ramp it up.

If a game has a lot of back tracking or grinding forget about it, more than likely switch it's being switched off.

I usually commute play on the 3DS as for home console play,b45 mins to 1hour in one go, depending on if it clicks with me, even that is once or twice a week. Maybe even less frequent,".

Is it just me or any other seasoned gamers experiencing similar things ?

36 BTW.

TLDR; I think I'm losing gaming my mojo man, but love gaming.. Get off my lawn.

Hanmik

ohhh I feel the same way.. I turn 40 next year, and I can´t stop mentioning my slow reflexes and old age in the reviews I write. I love gaming, so won´t stop untill I´m dead and burried..!

Never too old.

I am 39 and play games daily (although not as much as I used to.) and my reflexes are still good.

Have friends in their 50's that play as well.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Never too old.

I am 39 and play games daily (although not as much as I used to.) and my reflexes are still good.

Have friends in their 50's that play as well.

I don't doubt I am too old , just what I play is well it has to suit my mood.

More than likely general lack of time to devote to mastering a particular game. Now I just want something to play and progress for how ever the amount of allotted time I set.
Just for fun not the challenge.

nasanu

Banned
Kimi Räikkönen is 34 and one of the fastest F1 drivers (which requires great reflexes). As long as you are fit your reflexes should be fine. If you are fat and unfit.. well then that is another story.

I'm 45 and I game more than ever these days, but over the last ten years my reactions have really slowed. I watch my teenagers play and I'm in awe of
and depressed by
how fast they react.

As for back-tracking and grinding, these days any open world game without fast travel annoys me, but I bloody love grinding. I have much more patience for that than I ever used to, and I like playing slow. I'm 100 hours into Dark Souls 2 and still only on my first playthrough.

IcyEyes

Your reflexes are ok, or at least they are almost the same of when you were young. They will start to get worse when you start to get really old.

Probably it's only about focusing. Nothing more :)

Ps A lot of people tend to "distort" the past, thinking the were cooler (or worst) than they actually were!

MattXIII

I'm 30 - My fighting game reflexes are still super sharp, but shooters on the other hand... gawd

I think it just comes down to practice

I think it comes down to time to practise. With so many real life commitments I'm lucky to game for an hour in the evenings.

I used to play for hours

31 and I've noticed in fighting games it's much harder for me to hit confirm things than it used to be because I'm not reacting as quickly as I used to. In 3rd Strike I could hit confirm Akuma st.MK or Remy st.MK into super a few years ago, now it's really hit and miss…

taoofjord

I have doubts that reflexes suffer that much in your 30s.

I'm 32 and was wondering a few months back if mine were getting worse but I think it has more to do with kids having a TON of time to play games. They also tend to have less games so they play the ones they have more, and get really good at them. I stopped playing competitive shooters a while ago and then started again with Titanfall. After some doing i ended up consistently being the top person on my team.

Mman235

A lot of the reflexes games require are more about prediction than pure twitch; a lot of the time seemingly super fast games are more about planning something beforehand rather than split-second reflexes (though those are certainly a bonus).

I feel the same way playing street fighter sometimes too, I know how to pull off special moves and basic two to three hit combos but anymore I just start button mashing, about 50/50 it's what I intended to do.

Also pretty much literally everyone does this when they're new to a fighting game; doing things in real match is much different to practising them without pressure.

Kanyon

I'm 33 and I've definitely noticed my reflexes have slowed down, especially when I play things unlike BF4 or COD... The me of say 5 years ago would have dominated, but now I tend to sit in the middle of the pack.

Sometimes I do get into a "zone" and go on a mad run, I do manage to top the scoresheeet once in a while.

Red

I'm 25 and notice this when I go back to play competitive games. I have so little time to play anything now that I'm out of practice, and even when I find time I'm not completely focused. I'm thinking about other things. When I was younger, I could dedicate hours to mastering timing and movement, weapon trajectory, map layout, and so on. Now I'm lucky I can play an hour a month. I don't think it's as much a decline in ability as it is a matter of priority.

You have to consider, you go online and you're playing against kids who play all the damn time. That's what they do, that's their free time and their social life.

IcyEyes

I forgot to mention that videogames are more about "prediction", "practicing" and "focus" rather than pure reflexes.
Things like input lag, fps, hit detection, ping (if you play online), animations, etc are factors that are not present in real life and you only need to get used to them to be a better videogamer.

gngf123

Feel free to test your reflexes people: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

Most of the time it is just a practice thing. Your reflexes in-game naturally get better with practice as you learn to only take in very specific things.

Of course my reflexes are naturally really bad, in the test I get 280ms. 22 years old and somewhat fit. I definitely notice it when I'm playing fighting games.

Ninja Dom

Keep yourself in the loop and discipline yourself through training.

Start every gaming session with a mandatory warm-up.

Your warm up can consist of 15-30 mins of playing either:

New Super Luigi U, any King of Fighters from 97 onwards, any Street Fighter, Ninja Gaiden Black or 2 on Hard difficulty or above.

This warm up will ensure your gaming reflexes & nerves stay in tip-top condition.

Yeah, I can remember the turning point where I was worried about my waning reflexes while my taste in games just shifted away from those kind of intense experiences. Even Mario gets too much these days.

If only they just kept bringing Skate games out I could game happily to the grave.

Ninja Dom

Feel free to test your reflexes people: http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

Most of the time it is just a practice thing. Your reflexes in-game naturally get better with practice as you learn to only take in very specific things.

Of course my reflexes are naturally really bad, in the test I get 280ms. 22 years old and somewhat fit. I definitely notice it when I'm playing fighting games.

220ms average after 5 tests over here, Ninja Dom by name, Ninja Dom by nature.

Hanmik

ehh I got 247 in that test.. 39 years old..

As someone who is approaching the age of 34 it annoys me to hear people speak as though it is old, that all my faculties should be failing and I should be nigh-on useless at games (especially against younger players).

Half of the issues with getting older seem to be in the mind. I thought I was not as obsessive towards being as good as I could be in gaming but online games such as Hawken and Titanfall have proven that I have the will and dedication, or whatever word, to be as good as I can be at them.

Titanfall relies on quick reactions and in most of my matches I am in the top 3 with a high percentage of 1st positions. So: I am either only playing against people aged 50-and-over; or I still have a modicum of speed to my reactions.

I think the major issue when you get into your thirties is that so, so many other things stop you from playing and perhaps caring as much. I often have to get the will up to play a game even though I know I am going to enjoy it; I end up reading more about gaming than participating.

The thing that kids have over me is time. I have a job and other things in life and cannot sit at my PC for hours-on-end playing games.

I won't stop gaming until I (perhaps) physically cannot do it any more. I don't think I will ever 'go off' gaming.

ValeYard

Wow, that test just showed me how laggy the input of my wireless mouse is. Full 50 ms less using the Macbook's trackpad on average.

On topic: I thought a study had recently looked into reflexes and aging, revealing how constant upkeep and practice prevents deterioration. It's definitely the case for some studies into sports (I know of one looking into reaction times and skills in volleyball training).

Basically, like with most things of the human body, if you don't use it you lose it. That's why I call my gaming time an investment in my brain.

I find playing single player games slows me down, because AI allows you to be 'lazier' in reaction time. When I get into multiplayer (I play Halo, Titanfall), I do feel like I get quicker, although things like internet lag, controller and screen lag will always mediate the effects of some players with crazy fast reactions.

If you really want to see how your body deteriorates with age, your hearing and the capability to hear high frequency correlates quite robustly with your age. http://gamquistu.com/games/hearing/result

Average of 182, 24 years of age. I was looking at an average of around 160 until my fifth & final try :(
Untitled2.png

entremet

Reaction definitely goes down as you age, but not that drastically. 40 is still young reaction time wise. You won't ever win a Starcraft pro tourney, but you should be fine.

It won't take a serious hit until you have all white hair.

Krafter

I am 41, and my reflexes have definitely slowed down. I still game a lot, still playing sports, but the differences are there. Been playing less and less action games, but playing more and more slower games, which is just fine by me. I will eventually morph into a turn based or die! Grandpa gamer.

236. My hands are absolutely freezing at the moment so it is quite difficult to click the mouse. I will have a go later when I feel less like a corpse.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think it is more to do with my impatience and lack of time to commit due to other commitments etc,
I have a bit of gaming ADHD as well, I jump between games a lot.

why I loved ALBW, I always felt I was on the move and progressing,
OoT I jsut get bored of traversing the open world. etc even though I love the game what & played etc, it doesn't progress fast enough,(for me) maybe I should retitle the thread, am old an impatient, grr grr gaming ADHD.??

Shinobi, jsut got me to a point where I thought "dammit I would be stuck for a while, arrrrrrgh."

as for SFIV etc, I love fighting games but like most games I don't have the time to practice practice practice.

i'm sure there is plenty out there for me to sink my teach into and still have a great time.

I may be too young to really comment (being 28) but I did notice that what I thought was my reflexes dulling (recently restored my family's old NES and been playing the classics) was just lack of practice in the kind of genre (fast twitch type games).

For example, while not particularly hard I was having problems with Mega Man 5 which I had beaten inside and out dozens of times as a kid. I played it a bit, got mildly frustrated and played some other games. The next day I played it through to completion with only a few deaths.

My brain over night must have reconnected all those old neurons that are still hard burnt into my brain with games like this. Actually ever since the first day all of my old games have been coming back to me incredibly well (made it to the final level of Castlevania 3 in the first sitting, a feat I only accomplished once in my youth, though I decided not to get Grant this time which was likely a big help... F you clock tower level!!)

Lack of time to spend on games probably has more to do with it than anything OP... or that game may just be shoddy as frig, never played it.

pixlexic

Banned
I was having the opposite problem. I went back to try to play some nes games and I just was not fast enough anymore.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've just been playing Shinobi 3DS,
While I love it some of the jump hazards are too frustrating for me, I can't react fast enough or miss time it and keep jumping in the wrong direction and then to my death.

It's not your reflexes, it's the game. Classic Shinobi titles were super enjoyable, but for some reason modern developers feel the need to remake classic titles into player punishing affairs of cheap deaths. Drives me nuts.

NewGame

Banned
Don't worry OP, Nintendo's got you covered.

brain_training.jpg

braintraining1blue-300x198.jpg

I kid. No but seriously, I doubt that being in your 30s would have such an impact on your performance.

I think the games these days are different. In the 2d era you just had to worry about what was coming to the left of you or the right of you. But now adays you have things coming from all around you. So reaction time is more important in those situations. My reactions were probably never elite to begin with in the 2d era but the switch to 3d made things noticeably worse.

shandy706

Neat test. I'm 31 and got 213ms on my first try. Pretty quick I guess. I'm sure with a few minutes of practice I might get in the 100ms category despite my crappy work mouse.

I like to gauge my ability against my 24 year old and 14 year old cousins. Both play a ton of video games and I still whip their little tails...muhahaha. :)

I do get my tail handed to me in Ranked Killer Instinct matches though...however, I'm sure that's a practice thing. Only getting to play like 2 hours a week is a huge disadvantage.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's not your reflexes, it's the game. Classic Shinobi titles were super enjoyable, but for some reason modern developers feel the need to remake classic titles into player punishing affairs of cheap deaths. Drives me nuts.

yeah I am going to chalk it up to that, I am great gamer just the game is busted for me :p

actually Super Meat Boy and Fractured soul are hard intense games but they are so well balanced and I love them,(just one more go) so yeah could be a lot due to game design,

DKCR and Mario Games etc no problems. but they have a just one more go quality,
Shinobi 3DS has "aaaaaaaaaaargh"

MODS can I change the Title to Gaming Reflexes in Old age?: or Why I learned not to worry and blame bad game design.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely struggle at things like platformers or fighting games relative to win I was a kid. I'm 35 and think its a combination of things. Slower reflexes from age and drinking a fair amount from college on. Less time for gaming and more money means I play more games, but just beat them and move on and don't practice or get good at games. Which is fine as I always liked single player stuff better, and just replayed games or did MP due to lack of sounds to buy new games as a kid through college.

Competitve shooters I just always sucked at. I didn't really get into FPS until last gen and dual analog controls were very awkward to me at first. They're easy now, but my aiming and reaction time just aren't up to snuff with people who've put a ton more hours into shooter mp so my K/D is awful, usually around .80 at best. So I don't have fun and just quit playing any competitve MP and stick with single player campaigns or co-op shooters like Borderlanda.

I may be too young to really comment (being 28) but I did notice that what I thought was my reflexes dulling (recently restored my family's old NES and been playing the classics) was just lack of practice in the kind of genre (fast twitch type games).

For example, while not particularly hard I was having problems with Mega Man 5 which I had beaten inside and out dozens of times as a kid. I played it a bit, got mildly frustrated and played some other games. The next day I played it through to completion with only a few deaths.

My brain over night must have reconnected all those old neurons that are still hard burnt into my brain with games like this. Actually ever since the first day all of my old games have been coming back to me incredibly well (made it to the final level of Castlevania 3 in the first sitting, a feat I only accomplished once in my youth, though I decided not to get Grant this time which was likely a big help... F you clock tower level!!)

Lack of time to spend on games probably has more to do with it than anything OP... or that game may just be shoddy as frig, never played it.

This x10000.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
kojiknight, I gotta agree, more money less time to devote plus, impatience, means I haven't actually mastered a game in ages, I can more than likely play most games at a more then competent level, but to take it to zen like mastery I have to devote a fuck ton of time I don't have.

Adam Blue

Nah, this modern Shinobi is very well done (Volgarr peeps). We're just not playing as many of these types of games as we used to, for practice. I play shmups all the time, and I'm better than ever. I'm 30.

31 and I've noticed in fighting games it's much harder for me to hit confirm things than it used to be because I'm not reacting as quickly as I used to. In 3rd Strike I could hit confirm Akuma st.MK or Remy st.MK into super a few years ago, now it's really hit and miss…

brah, i'm having the same problem in the last years..
turned 30 this year (january)...
I've devoted more and more of my life towards adulthood committment (job career mostly..) and gawd.. my gaming skill, in terms of reflexes and timing, have gone DOWNHILL..
i can play strategy turn based game perfectly, but if i have to commit to fast movement+eye+timing... not going to work....
life sucks..

I thought my reflexes were getting worse as I got older, because I played some modern ports of childhood games and found them more difficult than I'd remembered (particularly the Sonic 2 special stages).

Turns out the main reason for the difference was because I'm from the UK and virtually all the games I played as a kid were 50hz rather than 60hz, meaning everything ran more slowly and I had more time to react. Sorta blew my mind when I realised. Practice doubtlessly played a part as well.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I doesn't have much to do with age but because you aren't playing as much as you used to. aka don't train that much any more. Naturally your reflexes will go down. Doesn't mean that you can train them again to a level like that.

Top Bottom