• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 best animated movies - Time Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Time Out have graced the world with their list of the 100 best animated movies. In their own words:

How did we choose the 100 best animated movies of all time? We went straight to the experts and polled people who have created some of the greatest animated films ever made. People like Wes Anderson (Fantastic Mr. Fox), Pete Docter (Up, Monsters Inc.), Ed Catmull (Pixar co-founder), Nick Park and Peter Lord (Aardman) and Henry Selick (Coraline). We spoke to animators, directors, curators, academics and film critics. That amounts to over 100 experts each sharing their top ten animated movies. Then we used their choices to inform our own final countdown of the 100 best animated movies.

The full feature can be found on their website here but for those of you are just too greedy to click the whole thing here's the top 10:

10. The Fantastic Mr. Fox
9. The Nightmare Before Christmas
8. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
7. The Iron Giant
6. Dumbo
5. The Incredibles
4. Toy Story
3. My Neigbour Totoro
2. Spirited Away
1. Pinocchio

Personally, while the list does a good job of highlighting a number of lesser-known titles that are worthy of attention I'd argue that the ranking is completely insane and the amount of recency bias is staggering, especially later down the list.

If you want to find something slightly more useful you can check out the lists of each individual contributor e.g. Wes Anderson's favourite animated movies in this section.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Never before has an internet list filled me with so much rage.

Millenium Actress under Kung Fu Panda.

KUNG
FU
PANDA

iKfxeW6AFKAPn.gif

Fuck everything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Iron Giant
is in the top ten. I'm okay with that.

KUNG
FU
PANDA

Fuck everything.
Jack Black is just that good, brah.

Grisby

4 of my top all time animated movies are on that list so, yeah, good deal.

Can't argue with Fantastic Mr Fox, Iron Giant, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Spirited Away.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A list spread out over 10-20 pages? Good luck with the clickbaiting. I don't do it with IGN lists, I'm not going to do it here.

massoluk

Banned
I really don't understand the love for Number 1. It's the one Disney cartoon I fell asleep watching. Boring as hell. I'll take Sleeping Beauty or Aladdin over it.

Cwarrior

10. The Fantastic Mr. Fox (I haven't seen, need to correct that)
9. The Nightmare Before Christmas(great)
8. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
7. The Iron Giant(love this)
6. Dumbo(love this)
5. The Incredibles(love this)
4. Toy Story(don't care about this movie everyone on planet earth seems to do)
3. My Neigbour Totoro(lololololol I wouldn't even rank it in my top ghilib movies let alone the top 100 animation movies although it is good)
2. Spirited Away( one the best anime movies but not top top 20 animated movies material....Pompoko better anyways)
1. Pinocchio(I'll be honest it's been well over 15 years the last time I saw this so I don't really remember it)

Finding nemo is better then anything in that top 10.

Dumbo is so ridiculous. Incredibly short, dated, some racist caricatures, obviously put together on a shoestring budget, nothing much even happens in it. And there's a whole scene that is an animator in-joke about how much they hate their boss.

Is it in theatrical releases? Because some of the animated films DC puts out are amazing.

Also, I don't think I saw An American Tail on there? What's up with that?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The actual cited films are a good list, but the order is all out of whack.

Daft_Cat

I feel like it's more of a popularity list. That explains why some of the newer or more popular films are placed above ones that are obviously better. Some of the really great ones (particularly the non-America, non-Disney ones) are lower on the list by virtue of the fact that fewer voters have seen them (even if they pretentiously pretend they have).

Still doesn't explain random flukes like the Lion King being so low...but whatever. Lists gonna list.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

KUNG
FU
PANDA

iKfxeW6AFKAPn.gif

Fuck everything.

I found Kung Fu Panda relatively amusing. I mean, I'm not saying it's amazing or anything, but I'd briefly place it under consideration somewhere. Possibly because I've not even watched 100 animated movies, but out of those I have watched, it's pretty mid-tier.

kazebyaka

Banned
Frozen isn't in at least top 5 (deserves to be #1)? What a joke. And spirited away on 2nd? It's a good movie, but not that good.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Frozen isn't in at least top 5 (deserves to be #1)? What a joke. And spirited away on 2nd? It's a good movie, but not that good.

Frozen shouldn't even be on the list. Trite and boring.

Necrovex

Today, I discovered Wes Anderson directed "Fantastic Mr. Fox." I have to watch this now!

I would have placed Tokyo Godfathers on the top ten list, since that movie is one of my favorite animated films out there. I really should give Totoro another chance; I couldn't get into it when I was in my funk three years back. I would have liked to see Princess Mononoke on the top ten too, but I understand why it didn't make the cut.

My only issue with The Nightmare Before Christmas, I would have replaced that with another Ghibli film or a Kon film.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I wouldn't care to much about the ranking and more about the movies itself.

Overall it's a great list with lots of amazing movies from all genres and styles that people should check out :)

RangerX

Banned
The Lion King aka the greatest movie ever made is number 71, while Dumbo is number 6. Think about that.

Give me Dumbo over the Lion King any day of the week. I really really disliked that film. Robin hood is the GOAT disney film. No joke.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story (and sequels), Frozen, Finding Nemo, Little Mermaid, Ratatouille, the first 10 minutes of Up, HTTYD, Beauty and the Beast.

Something like that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Lion King not even in the top 50? Come on.

Edit: Rango is one spot ahead? LOL

Jarmel

Banned
Shit list.

Fucking Pinnochio? So much of this list is just bad taste.

I approve of The Nightmare Before Christmas though.

frozen's a joke.

spirited away > frozen

at least spirited away does female protagonist best, not some princess who needs rescuing.

Jarmel

Banned
The Little Mermaid over the Lion King?

There aren't enough laughing gifs in the world.

I need a hit of that joint dawg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom