• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dawg
(04-17-2014, 01:24 PM)
So, I saw a rather interesting discussion on my timeline today.

I'm sure some of you remember IGNs Titanfall hands-on article, it's the one where they mentions things like:

Now, this was obviously not IGNs final conclusion of the game because a preview never is. Their review ended up giving the game 8.9/10 but I believe there was less "hyperbole" in that article. Not sure though. The same person wrote both articles though -> Ryan McCaffrey.

Anyway, Angry Joe made his Titanfall review video about a month ago. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUHOqaC5_A) At around 8:25 he starts mentioning the fact that a lot of sites gave the game high scores and praise. At that point, he mentions "BELIEVE THE HYPE" in jest when a screenshot of the above preview is shown. After that, he calls out outlets giving it a 9/10 and a 10/10, and again a screenshot of IGN (in this case, the 8,9/10) is being shown as an example.

Nothing really happened, until today.

It's a pretty long twitter discussion between Angry Joe and Dan Stapleton, IGNs Review Editor. I didn't even link the entire thing because there are more single tweets. Dan seems to be calling out Joe because he used a quote from a preview and then showed the score from their review, two different articles. Also the fact he's talking about 9s and 10s when IGN only gave it a 8,9 and not a 9. The discussion seems tense from the start, but only gets worse and then things like this are said:

Now, my question to GAF is: is IGNs Review Editor making too big of a deal out of this? Is he overreacting? Or did Angry Joe really make a mistake when using these examples? There's more tweets to be found at their twitter pages, but it really is a lot.
Last edited by Dawg; 04-17-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Yagharek
(04-17-2014, 01:27 PM)
IGN earned this reputation.

Arguing over 0.1 is insane.
yeehamuffins
(04-17-2014, 01:27 PM)
Heh, just posted about this on the Titanfall review thread. This is the stupidest shit, right up there with Polygon and their ever-changing SimCity score.

I mean, seriously, "No, we didn't overhype Titanfall! A 9.0 is TOTALLY different from an 8.9!" From how vehement this guy is getting, I half expect to see him tweet something about "You'll be hearing from our lawyers."
Impeccable
(04-17-2014, 01:28 PM)
IGN review editor making hyperbolic over reactions? Seems about right.
Gillian Seed
0.1.........................Lmao!
Deaf Spacker
Memb
Dan Stapleton just makes himself look like a moron for arguing over a decimal place.
NathanCX
They definitely calmed down for the actual review but they were acting shameless about the game from day one.

"I stopped played and I was just shaking, pure adrenaline"
"No game like this"
"Believe the hype"

IGN went absolutely crazy for this game and built it up to a level that it never actually achieved. I almost feel like it's scores suffered because of that.
BY2K
Membero Americo
IGN arguing over 0.1 point. Jesus Christ.
RyougaSaotome
Could someone for the love of all that is good in this world explain to me the difference between an 8.9 and a 9.0?
Jawmuncher
Banned
(04-17-2014, 01:29 PM)
I definitely see this as overreacting. Sure the quote was from a preview but it still lends itself to what joe was trying to explain. I really don't see it being that out of context since a 8.9 (aka a 9) still falls under that category. It would be different if he used that quote, and IGN gave the game a 5 or he used the quote and didn't later show their actual score.
JaggedSac
(04-17-2014, 01:29 PM)
I can't stand Joe, but I don't see the problem here.
chaobreaker
(04-17-2014, 01:30 PM)
Stapleton's was right, though he could have handled that argument a bit more professionally.

Angry Joe is a immature twat.
SJRB
Starting a fight on Twitter over a 0.1 difference, how embarrasing.

IGN, lol. You [among others] hyped Titanfall up to oblivion, don't be assholes about it when someone calls you out on that.
Fallout-NL
Linking the 'believe the hype' quote with a review where that quote didn't appear is bit disingenuous, yeah.

/edit: though it is a bit dumb to even use such words in professional coverage to begin with.
Last edited by Fallout-NL; 04-17-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Deaf Spacker
Memb

Originally Posted by RyougaSaotome

Could someone for the love of all that is good in this world explain to me the difference between an 8.9 and a 9.0?

There's no difference in my opinion, 8.9 might as well be a 9.
Labrys
Joe's in the right imo, the other guy is arguing over a measly .1 which is inconsequential.

I did find myself reading all of Joe's tweets in his voice, though. Guy has a voice that sticks with you.
GrimlÝck
i stopped halfway through their tirade thinking to myself, "they both need to grow the fuck up."
OddMorsel
Handbags, etc.

I don't see the necessity for name calling and insults. The IGN guy takes it pretty well, considering he's up against not only Joe but some of his fans.
Y2Kev
The Last Guardian is Dead. Sorry.
(04-17-2014, 01:31 PM)
8.9 is a good score.

9.0 is an amazing score.

He said it right there!
sploatee
I'm more on Dan's side in this. He is pointing out something factual. Joe is behaving unprofessionally.

From what I know of Dan Stapleton, he's seems to be a sensible guy. I've never seen anything Angry Joe has done which has been particularly insightful or interesting.
inner-G
More like Angry Joke
Benzychenz
It's like some pedantic forum argument, only the guy's using his real name.
Air Zombie Meat
I think Joe is in the right but he could have handled it better. Those tweets just made me want to side with the ign dude.
Last edited by Air Zombie Meat; 04-17-2014 at 01:39 PM.
illmatic22
I am the 0.1 percent
RoninChaos
Normally I don't pile on ign but an 8.9 is basically a 9. Someone said they didn't want to appear too biased so instead of giving it a 9 they dropped it by .1. And really, what's the difference between a 8.9 and a 9?
blankempathy
(04-17-2014, 01:32 PM)

One jaggy really stood out.
PotionBleue
Why are people insisting on the 0.1 thing when it's clearly not the only thing that is being reproached?
SovanJedi
provides useful feedback
There's a couple of wrongs from both sides on this:
  • Quoting preview commentary that does not represent the game's final judgement is misrepresentative.
  • 8.9 is essentially almost a 9. It's a very high score. Trying to argue otherwise is highly pedantic.
  • Angry Joe's constant namecalling and colourful insults during the whole Twitter exchange paints a terrible picture of him. He's the one that needs to grow up.

Another casualty of people acting dumb on Twitter for the whole world to see. Merrhh.
WeAreStarStuff

8.9 means great. 9.0 means amazing.
Kade
Sounds like they're arguing about more than just the 0.1 difference but let's zero in on that.
Ninhead
They're both kinda awful... But Joe is unbearable, and is playing the "I DIDN'T EXACTLY SAY THAT" line of nonsense.
Zalman
I can't believe this IGN guy is arguing over a 0.1.
Fallout-NL

The 8 and 9 have an important difference in connotation as a direct result of the (modern) review scale.
jonno394
Whoever is right with regards to this topic doesn't detract from the fact that Angry Joe is a douche anyway.
BY2K
Membero Americo
(04-17-2014, 01:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Y2Kev

8.9 is a good score.

9.0 is an amazing score.

He said it right there!

Actually he said 8 is great, 9 is amazing, lower 8 is good and higher 8 is closer to amazing.

Still a mess.
Heyt
Suprised to see IGN take action over Joe fearing for their reputation. I thought major outlets tend to look at youtbe people over their shoulders. If at all.
Nekofrog
guys an 8.9 is TOTALLY NOT a 9.0. I mean, it only has ONE of those numbers in it! The other number is totally a different number!
family_guy
They are both right and wrong for different reasons.
paperboywriter
It seems to me this joe character made a mistake and misrepresented ign and is not willing to commit that.
This doesn't play well for someone how is criticizing other reviewers for inaccuracy on a regular basis.
DigitalOp
Banned
8.9 not the same as 9 confirmed.

Numerical scores have completely destroyed the gaming industry from being as open and even more innovative than its current iteration.

THINK about that for a sec.
Aruhamel
Banned
(04-17-2014, 01:34 PM)
They're both awful. Angry Joe is one of the most annoying, self-important internet personalities there is. IGN is pretty much impossible to take seriously as a source of reviews.
ThoughtsOfSpeaking
But not of thinking first
Got one simple question:-

Why now? isn't it like a month later? Why not take it with Joe (in a less public way) when the review went up?
Lucifon
Whilst the argument seems slightly pointless (as neither person will back down, obviously), I do think Dan's point is completely correct. For the record I love Angry Joe's stuff, and felt his Titanfall review was very fair. However, talking about what reviews said and quoting an IGN preview is wrong, and something I didn't pick up on at the time. Previews and reviews are very different, and as such the comments in a preview shouldn't have any links to the final review. Also that uncalled for name calling makes me sad Joe :(
Vhalyar
Twitter schoolyard fight. Classy.
uncleniccius
I'm really not a fan of Angry Joe, and I think Dan does make a point. The point one is what, in his eyes, stops the game from being amazing. He's saying that it is very close, but a little short of that.
IGN did hype the game up a little too much though.
Mozendo

Originally Posted by Dawg

Now, my question to GAF is: is IGNs Review Editor making too big of a deal out of this? Is he overreacting? Or did Angry Joe really make a mistake when using these examples?

Both.
EnojadoJose should of never used a quote that was never in the review and should have apologized but of course his ego prevents him from understanding someone's point of view, but a part of me feels like Dan shouldn't have complained about the .1 difference, but the a part of me does.

I'm on Dan's side though. Jose's action and attitude is childish which isn't surprising.
Last edited by Mozendo; 04-17-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: I should really take some time to proof read.
NotLiquid
Isn't shit like this the reason IGN originally abolished any decimals that weren't .5s to begin with?
Barzul
Honestly they both seem like idiots. And if I didn't care to watch anything of Joe's before this, I certainly won't now. Arguing over a .1 and refusing to admit you inserted the wrong review quote and that does change how you view IGN reviews, especially for someone who doesn't or has never read IGN watching that video.
Last edited by Barzul; 04-17-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Dynamite Shikoku
Some people have too much free time