• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

on the reliability of NPD data

gcubed

Kuchera is talking about games and I would say npds actual numbers for game sales are getting more and more off the mark as digital picks up (and are wholly useless for PC).

But it's still accurate as far as retail sales

Mahonay

Banned
My understanding is their issue with NPD is the lack of tracking digital game sales. Obviously doesn't affect console hardware. ;)
That's the thing that's really ridiculous to me.

Yes, NPD isn't the best for games, due to not accounting for digital sales.

You don't buy consoles digitally. What console sales are NPD numbers missing out on exactly?

Jomjom

Banned
Funny how these people didn't bring this up in December when X1 won NPD, or the years the 360 was on top.

I smell sour grapes, bias and people trying to keep on the right side of the MS advertising penny ...... especially Polygon.

The amount of MS bias that seems to emanate from the US based games media in particular is bullshit.

NPD is just as good as it was two years ago or in December.

You're saying that there's something wrong with Americans supporting home grown products? Are you a Communist?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kuchera is talking about games and I would say npds actual numbers for game sales are getting more and more off the mark as digital picks up (and are wholly useless for PC).

Its not trying to measure digital though. That has nothing to do with whether or not NPD's data is accurate or not.

It's a good thing we have transparency from all these gaming companies to show just how unreliable the NPD data is.

Oh wait, we don't.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I mean, it's true that it's not the ideal sampling of data, but unless someone has a reasonable hypothesis as to why it would be misrepresenting one console's sales more than another console's sales, we don't really have a big problem, as long as the point of NPD data is to trumpet our victories in the glorious console wars and not to pinpoint exact sales figures for specific products.

duckroll

Sure, I think that's a fair point to make. But that also doesn't indicate that NPD's estimates of what they're supposed to represent are wildly inaccurate, it indicates that retail only data for a segment of the market is now less meaningful.

DocSeuss

iN7OEUU.png

There's more in the NPD thread.

Oh, so he wasn't actually talking about the console sales, which is what most people seem to think. He's like "hey, consoles sales is cool, but NPD's useless for sofwtware." I see no problem here.

Seems fine?

I mean, it's true about stuff like Steam, as evidenced by those great Ars articles the other day.

Jomjom

Banned
I guess here's the question. If someone honestly believes that NPD data is not accurate, then what would they find more accurate? Which organization has more comprehensive tracking and better estimates? If there is none, then how does an individual arrive at the conclusion that NPD data is grossly inaccurate? Accuracy is about comparison, and if there is nothing to compare it with, isn't that a strange claim to make?

You know the logical conclusion. Time to unban the chartzz.

Jamix012

I guess here's the question. If someone honestly believes that NPD data is not accurate, then what would they find more accurate? Which organization has more comprehensive tracking and better estimates? If there is none, then how does an individual arrive at the conclusion that NPD data is grossly inaccurate? Accuracy is about comparison, and if there is nothing to compare it with, isn't that a strange claim to make?

While the claim is completely stupid, I think Dent was saying something like "internal numbers from MS contradict NPD." Which I don't think is true anyway.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

These guys have just enough knowledge of statistics to make really stupid blanket skeptical claims without any real analytical insight.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
As has been stated earlier; the NPD should be statistically accurate for hardware sales; it uses a statistically strong sample size and as best as I can tell, is not missing any major hardware sales spots.

For software it's not nearly as useful; it does not track digital sales. Notice how game developers tend to just give out raw numbers sold rather than refer to the NPD data. With the advent of Steam, and both Sony & MS pushing digital delivery of games hard, data on how much a game sells should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, I'd hold off on claiming the death of the X1 / WiiU. I suspect this fall / winter will be the real battle, as I think a lot of people (myself included) are waiting for more games to come out on X1. Titanfall did have the issue of being (eventually) available for X360 and PC; it should not have been seen as a system seller to the degree it was being forecast as.

WiiU is in a much worse situation, but a good group of 1st party games might be able to pull it out of the doldrums into a respectable place. The similarity of the PS4 & X1 did hit that system hard, though.

Sean

Banned
NPD is very accurate when it comes to hardware figures and retail sales, but without digital figures from the console manufacturers it doesn't tell the whole story in terms of overall software sales.

Sony claimed a few months back that 48% of Vita software sales are digital for example. And the PC market is probably like 99% digital these days. I'd be curious to know the retail/digital split on PS4 and Xbox One but we'll probably never know.

DocSeuss

You know the logical conclusion. Time to unban the chartzz.

Nah, chartz still straight-up makes up numbers. NPD has said "oh, we only cover retail." We know what we're getting with them.

While the claim is completely stupid, I think Dent was saying something like "internal numbers from MS contradict NPD." Which I don't think is true anyway.

Didn't MS literally post "yeah, we've sold 5 million, go us!" yesterday? Or did I dream that last night?

MarkusRJR

Ben 'Fart in the wind' Kuchera

0KOfrTz.jpg
Does he not realize that on these magical online sales PS4 has also been way ahead? Take a look at amazon, it was higher than the Xbox One the majority of the month (it was whenever I checked, just leaving room in case I missed the one moment it was higher). I don't even own a PS4 (own a Wii U and Xbox One) but I am so sick of these people whining all the time.

Retail sales can show demand, especially on hardware. Whether or not either is up a couple tens of thousands is irrelevant since it provides us with perspective on how the current industry is. In terms of software I can agree slightly, but no one is under the assumption that digital sales are included (at least I hope not).

Acorn

MS, Sony and Ninty take the numbers as legit, even when they are unflattering. I'll trust that over some thinly concealed ms evangelists.

gcubed

Its not trying to measure digital though. That has nothing to do with whether or not NPD's data is accurate or not.

Sure, I think that's a fair point to make. But that also doesn't indicate that NPD's estimates of what they're supposed to represent are wildly inaccurate, it indicates that retail only data for a segment of the market is now less meaningful.

Ha I edited right after I posted to clarify

You're saying that there's something wrong with Americans supporting home grown products? Are you a Communist?

Communists of the Soviet Union pretty much despised foreign goods and tried to keep things as domestic as possible. It is actually those who support supply side economics like Reagan who want things like free trade which opens the floodgates to a tsunami of foreign goods.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The NPD is 100% accurate because that's what the video game companies we talk about use as an official metric for their sales. It is 100% accurate in both theoretically and in practice because that's what we base everything off of.

Just like how the kilogram is based off of some piece of material somewhere in Europe. There's 2 others like it right next to it but the one in the middle is the kilogram. Even if it's not actually a kilogram, it is a kilogram.

Water is only available in Europe?

Bob White

Hmm, actually didn't think about it this way. I really want to see a response to this from the people who doubt the NPD all of a sudden.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
For console games, totally valid. As mentioned, digital is roughly 10% of revenue on retail titles. Of course, if publishers want a more accurate read on how their games performing, they just call up Target or Gamestop or whoever, and ask. So, they get the most accurate reads. Do you see any of them crying? Nope. NPD gives them access to competitive data though, and it's broadly accepted as an accurate enough landscape to do prediction and market modeling.

For the industry as a whole, outside of console retail?
It's becoming less relevant, as digital for indie and mobile, and DL-only games is huge business, and that's not captured.

For the sake of console wars?
people need to STFU if they don't know what they are talking about (which I mean't various tweeters, not people here). Just because the industry as a whole is progressing digital, you can't use that as an argument to discredit NPD when you're specifically talking about retail console games, as that's not what NPD lacks in.

Plot the points on a trend line is you easily see the PS4 is actually increasing it's spread, although very slowly.

I think a better explanation is they were floating how to spin it.

As silly as the rant is on the software sales, he says the hardware part is fine. The most egregious thing Gies did is simply speculate there weren't 0.5M or more XB1 sitting on shelves. Polygon never obfuscated the shipped vs sold numbers. Dent is the real culprit here IMO.

Wow, I had no idea that Polygon doesn't report NPD numbers at all. Hilarious.

This is the last time NPD appeared in a Polygon headline. It got a mention yesterday, but only in the context of Microsoft's press release.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/16/5317238/xbox-one-bestselling-console-in-us-last-month-npd-says

Xbox One bestselling console in US last month, NPD says

By Michael McWhertor on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:00p

So apparently they do consider it worthy of report under certain circumstances. ;)

Mikey Jr.

I knew this was about Dent before I even clicked on this thread.

The backtracking on his twitter before NPD came out was fucking hilarious.

Acorn

Kevin Dent is, quite literally, a psychopath. We need to stop talking about him, altogether.
I've never even seen an article or anything from him other than random tweets posted here. Why do people give a shit what he thinks?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
NPD is too much fun to acknowledge the fact it's by all accounts a pretty terrible industry bellwether.

it's probably about as accurate as a survey of console hardware in north america at retail needs to be, though.

It's as reliable as a fart in the wind. The problem is sometimes farts have a way of being blown back into your face and catch you with your mouth open and everything.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Its all we've had for a good while now. Everyone knows (or should know) that its not 1000% accurate but it at least puts us in the ballpark for how things are trending.

Anyone have any actual knowledge on these claims?

Doubting them due to their source makes sense but investigating the claim is something I hope we can do.

Coxy

Kevin Dent is, quite literally, a psychopath. We need to stop talking about him, altogether.

it would be both wonderful and representative if his name was wordfiltered to "some guy"

"some guy said something stupid on twitter"

Top Bottom