• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN says stuff about PS4/MS sales. Also, Kinect is added value. Real money, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryvBy

IGN confirms they believe Microsoft can do better in Japan.
/s - It wasn't apparent enough for some.

Two or three million consoles isn't an insurmountable lead to overcome by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact that Sony has managed to sustain -- and extend -- its lead at a time when Xbox One's ace in the hole, Titanfall, was launched, says a lot. Titanfall was March, 2014's best-selling game in the US, and yet PlayStation 4 still outsold Xbox One. Even more interesting is that PlayStation 4 isn't selling well in Japan, Sony's safe haven, meaning that the brand's new-found strength rests solely in territories that may have felt more lukewarm about its predecessor. Xbox One hasn't yet launched in Japan.

Crazier yet -- and perhaps even confusingly -- is the fact that PlayStation 4 has sold so well with very few must-have games.

The first piece of the equation is no doubt price. When Sony abandoned the PlayStation Camera as a bundled-in device, it was playing chess while Microsoft, sticking by Kinect, was playing checkers. It allowed the company to undercut its competition by $100, lessening sticker shock and giving it a direct value proposition comparison. Sony showed flexibility, foresight, and adaptability, essential business traits it wasn't exactly known for during the PlayStation 3 era. Microsoft, meanwhile, bet on Kinect and the added value -- both in experience and real money -- it would add to Xbox One. Needless to say, the market has spoken, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kinect-less Xbox One in the coming months. (Ironically, PlayStation Camera is still so popular that it's nearly impossible to find. Choice matters.)

That Kinect - added REAL LIFE MONEY!

The rest isn't that bad, since I apparently have to point that out. For more IGN greatness, it awaits here:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/18/playstation-4-is-winning-the-war-whats-next

IGN confirms they believe Microsoft can do better in Japan.

How can you doubt them after the success of 360 in Japan?

theyre-opening-a-xbox360-store-in-japan-no-seriously-evilcontrollers.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
"Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and the much-rumored Halo 2 Anniversary could easily even the playing field."

If thats what Microsoft is banking on this year then they are completely fucked. No offense to any of those releases but they aren't doing shit in terms of sales.

Torgo

So, do they have meetings about what their "official" stance is, or do they just let the writers go-off all willy-nilly?

B.O.O.M

x console sells bad: is the industry in trouble?
Y console sells great: but why?

smh

Also can someone explain to me the bit about adding value with real money? I didn't understand it

Toki767

Meanwhile, there are more games available on PS4 than there are on Xbox One, but who needs facts when you can give opinions?

Azull

When Sony abandoned the PlayStation Camera as a bundled-in device

Are they just making this up or something? It was never announced that they were bundling the PSCamera (even though it sold like crazy by itself). Is it just IGN being IGN?

So hypothetical if the PS4 starts to get great games wouldn't that then widen the gap even further?

And l o l at the thought of the Xbone doing better than anything in Japan.

Jomjom

Banned
Very few must-have games is absolutely correct.

He's not wrong, but he forgot to mention the Xbone also has very few must have games. Which he probably should have as that's a big factor in why it's losing as well, in addition to price.

Meanwhile, there are more games available on PS4 than there are on Xbox One, but who needs facts when you can give opinions?

Indies are never must-haves. Games that look good but only reach number 2 on NPD are never must-haves. Games that sell 2 million copies worldwide, but are hated by Arthur Gies are never must-haves. Come on everyone knows that.

Timeaisis

Well, it is true there are few must-haves for PS4 currently. But the same is true for Xbone, so you can't really draw that kind of comparison. The reason PS4 is doing better is: a) it's cheaper and b) it's more powerful. It's more of an investment in the future, to be honest. People don't want Xbones because they are $500 and there aren't enough exclusives that would warrant them getting one instead of a PS4.

Arion

"Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and the much-rumored Halo 2 Anniversary could easily even the playing field."

If thats what Microsoft is banking on this year then they are completely fucked. No offense to any of those releases but they aren't doing shit in terms of sales.

what sony exclusives are coming up? just tlou remastered and the order?

overdrive looks neat.

There are no games out for PS4 yet. Simple. Once/if Japanese developers hop on board the PS4 train it'll start selling again. Also considering MS's impact with the 360... I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Moosichu

Colin is a PlayStation IGN writer and I would recommend people read the whole article as those quotes are quite selective.

I like the added value of the Kinect. When I'm home alone, I feel like I'm surrounded by good friends that really brighten a room.

pizO1hw.png

Wynnebeck

Banned
Are they just making this up or something? It was never announced that they were bundling the PSCamera (even though it sold like crazy by itself). Is it just IGN being IGN?

It's widely rumored and believed that Sony removed the PS Camera as a bundled in accessory in order to reach the $399 price point. Whether its true or not remains to be seen, not that it matters at this point.

It's actually a somewhat decent article, but heaven forbid we give props to IGN for something.

Yesh , somewhat decent for fanboys I suppose. Completely hates on PS4, but has nothing but praise for XB1. Come on dude! The article is anything but balanced.

I like how it mentions very few must have games on PS4, like the One is overflowing with them.

Ign needs balanced reporting.

Deadstar

IGN still on that Microsoft money train eh? I stopped visiting their site about 10 years ago. About the "so few" must have games, I've enjoyed every game I've played on PS4 so far, Knack, Infamous, Killzone, Assassin's Creed and Resogun. Mercenary Kings is also pretty decent.

Frillen

I didn't read anything about IGN thinking MS can do better in Japan. OP seem to have an agenda against IGN and MS in general, just coincidentally picking out stuff that sounds ridiculous but really isn't and leaving out the rest of article which actually includes some decent points.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Sony has three titles out in retail at the moment: Knack, Killzone and Infamous. Resogun is the must-have digital game and Infamous is the must-have retail game. Apart from that there are a ton of really-fun-and-really-good games on the console.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/04/18/2014-s-upcoming-playstation-4-games.aspx

That's a list Newman posted on Twitter earlier today. I haven't went through it all.

Curiously absent from that list is LittleBigPlanet Hub. Which, if they did the right thing, should be heading to PS4 at this very moment. Here's hoping. Now that'll bring in some dough.

demolitio

Yes, because if Titanfall, God's gift to gamers according to these journalists, couldn't make the X1 pass the PS4 for one month, those others surely will because Sony won't be releasing any games ever again. These exclusives don't magically make one console inherently better than the other, especially when one is cheaper and more powerful. Then again, I guess these guys need to play the "Sony has no good exclusives" card while they still can considering how last gen went.

Gaming journalism. Sense no make it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
As a PS4 owner, I would absolutely agree with that. In fact, it's a bit generous.

TBH I'd agree with it too but I also don't think the Xbox One has any must have games either, not even Titanfall (and I enjoy that game too).

But that's always the way with new consoles for the first year so I'm not too bothered. I've satisfied my new console lust for the time being :p However as soon as Quantum Break comes out on Xbox One it's mine too (big Remedy fan)

It's a well written article with some great points. That said, I really don't understand how Colin missed this contributing factor for the PS4's success: better looking multi-platform games and more powerful system.

So... where does it say they expect Xbox to do better in Japan, OP? 'Cuz I ain't seeing that anywhere.

If you want to hate on IGN, there's a bunch of articles worthy of that, but there's no need to make stuff up to do it.

/s

I figured it was a little obvious with my title that things would get rahhdikulus, yo.

ok then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom