• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite racing game from the 7th generation?

AristoCat

Forza 4, with all dlc is by far the best car game for me, between all the cars, the traks, and the livery editor, I put something like 1200H in that game.

Horizon was a huge disappointment for me, since it´s basically forza 3 physics with the fourth of the content, very small world and not a very long game (1000G in 3 days for me)

Imho PGR3/4 are far better racer in the arcade genre with way more challenge than Horizon.

GT5 was also a big let down, and 6 a bit better but even after mastering their career something feels wrong and outdated to me.

I'm not really into other racing game, I want licenced stuff/real cars.

PS: I'm also very disappointed about Forza 5, which is basically Forza 4 with ripped out content, and dlc that were already in previous game. Shame on you turn10....

Burnout Paradise was the best thing with cars from this past gen. I had it on 360, have it on PS3 and got it again on PC...so good.

Mario Kart Wii was the racing game I played the most, though; parties could revolve solely around playing this.

EBreda

Split Second was the best.
PGR4 a close second.
Forza 4 a close third.
Sonic Transformed a close fourth.

Edit: forgot about Out Run remastered, Ferrari Legends, Daytona remastered. Wonderful games.
Grid 2 was also really good IMO.

Anion

PGR4 and Forza 3 (Forza 3 over 4 because that community was more engaging, I feel like more people talked in the online lobbies)

Then there is Forza Horizon. Have to say I was skeptical, but it was pretty darn amazing.

Ah, also TDU2. However, have to dock points because the physics weren't very good. If the physics were remotely like horizon or PGR, I would have to say that was a dream game. Had so much fun talking with a few buddies and walking around in their masions in Ibiza and HI.

An early one:

Test_Drive_Unlimited_boxart.jpg

I know it's not the best racing game of the last 7 years, but it came out at the right time... During a dead period in the spring/summer when the 360 was out. Test Drive had made some shitty games since Test Drive 3 on PSX, but this was an interesting concept... a connected world, leaderboards, and a huge open world to explore. I also thought the graphics were incredible when it came out.

I put more time into this racing game than any other in the last gen. I bought Forza and played that, too, but lost interest. TDU held me over till the fall that year.. 2006.

PGR4, easily. The MSR/PGR series indeed sort of killed off most other racing games for me. I used to grab anything in the genre but eventually just realized I'd rather just replay a PGR.

Sega Racing Transformed has taken over for the colorful/kart style, good for both serious racing, for the Sega nostalgia, and the family enjoys it as well.

Espada

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
The tracks offer a nice variety, as do the racers themselves. But what's better are all those different challenges and modes to enjoy. Doing a time attack while pulling off stunt-after-stunt to get much-needed boosts just feels satisfying. It's a blast when racing against other people, and it always feels like you can win if you just put in the effort. Oh, and did I mention it's a pretty game?

Runner Up: Motorstorm Pacific Rif
This is the kind of offroad arcade racing I've been looking for for a long time. Beautiful locales, a great aesthetic for both menus and vehicles, and races that are exhilarating as hell. The views you get on some jumps or parts of a track = wow. One major downside is the rubberbanding AI, which leads to really frustrating races later on. Other than that, fun game.

For me it's a tie between Burnout Paradise and Wipeout HD Fury. Both are so amazing at what they do; I liked the open world of BP and I'd never played the PSP Wipeouts so it didn't bother me that the tracks weren't new.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Twisted Metal 2012

youmad.jpeg

Probably Burnout Paradise, but I haven't played many racing games from this gen.

MG310

I don't play too many racers (Mostly because i am terrible at damn near all of them) but Burnout Paradisie had me hooked.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift, even though it was only 30fps. Awesome track design. Preferred online so I didn't have to deal with the rubberband AI.

Forza 4. Not even close. I love racing games but not realistic ones. In fact, I strongly disliked them. Forza changed that. It's my biggest regret from going full Sony.
Forza 4 was just the perfect no-stress game to relax with. Oh, and it played well and looked beautiful too.

chur

Burnout Revenge by far, it was practically perfect except for the insane amount of rubberbanding. #2 was Burnout Paradise, I never really got into it for some reason.

DJ_Lae

Burnout Paradise was great.

Forza Horizon was way better than I expected and in many ways I enjoyed more than the Forza mainline series.

Forza 3 was my most played of the three that generation, although I will concede that Forza 4 was the better game if only because it had more cars and tracks.

Dirt 2 was a ton of fun as well.

And though it was not a great game, I spent FAR too much time with FUEL. Sure, the world was mostly barren and it was way too big but I didn't care. I was having too much fun.

Nymphae

Banned
Thread should have been called "What is the second best racer of the previous gen", seeing as we all know Burnout Paradise is one of the best games from last gen, period.

For me, it's NFS: Shift. It is the game that made using the cockpit cam essential, and it's gameplay blended arcade and simulation better than any game since PGR 2.

I would have loved for a PGR game to be the best, but the series never caught the spirit of PGR 2 again.

Forza Horizon had so much hope, but in the end fell apart due to a terrible "story" that had you driving like an asshole and a lack of a decent menu system. Yeah, it was cool to drive from race to race fore the first week or two. Then I just really wanted to use a menu and pick a race. That mostly because the point seemed to be that I needed to knock down a bunch of signs and barely miss a bunch of cars on the way to build up XP.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
1. Ridge Racer 7
2. WipeOut HD
3. Burnout Paradise

There's a very large gap between 1. and 2. on my list. Ridge Racer 7 is nearly perfect. I'm really heartbroken we haven't seen a Ridge 8 yet this gen. :(

Tayaya

An early one:

Test_Drive_Unlimited_boxart.jpg

I know it's not the best racing game of the last 7 years, but it came out at the right time... During a dead period in the spring/summer when the 360 was out. Test Drive had made some shitty games since Test Drive 3 on PSX, but this was an interesting concept... a connected world, leaderboards, and a huge open world to explore. I also thought the graphics were incredible when it came out.

I put more time into this racing game than any other in the last gen. I bought Forza and played that, too, but lost interest. TDU held me over till the fall that year.. 2006.

This one gets high marks from me for the very same reasons. I remember playing the hell out of it when it came out, and it was always entertaining to just cruise around in my Zonda and have new players be like "holy shit, that guy's got a Zonda" in the in-game chat. I remember one time where a guy stopped me and we parked the cars and just had a good laugh at the fact that you could make the drivers look around and roll the windows up and down. I remember the guy being in the UK (myself in the US) and a bit of an older guy, saying something about how remarkable it is that two blokes like us could just pull over and have a little chat about our cars while sitting on opposite sides of the world. It's stuck with me because it was just a poignant little moment in the early days of the 360's lifetime, before the online interaction with the general populous consisted of being called a niggerfaggot on a daily basis.

Forza 4 and GT6 are my favorite racers of the generation, though. I may have put more time into GT5, but I do like what they've done with GT6 - it didn't bring a lot new to the table but it refined what was already there and I like the way it turned out. It just came out at a bad time (same time as the PS4 launch). Forza 4 is the game that made me finally see some merit in Forza as a franchise. I still like GT better, but Forza 4 was really solid, and looked fantastic compared to the earlier games in the series.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
There was no F-Zero last gen so I didn't play racing games.

I 100%-ed Forza Horizon in just a few hours. I'm shocked to see it in here.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun. But very short-lived. Even with online.

anddo0

PS3: Gran Turismo 5. My playtime, total races and cars owned in GT6 don't even come close to the time investment I put into GT5. I'm not saying GT6 is bad, I love it. But GT5 was had my soul.

PSVita: Sonic Transformed, what can I say... Fun, is fun!
except for when you're playing on hard or expert

Forza Motorsport 4. The best relationship between convincing physics and understand of the needs of the joypad gamer until FM5 came along. You can have the best physics in the world but if you can't translate that to good joypad feel it's all a waste. Thankfully Team10 can nail this.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. The main reason I love it so much is that it reminds me of the classic Burnout games, in a gen where Burnout as a franchise was essentially ruined.

Tayaya

Forza Motorsport 4. The best relationship between convincing physics and understand of the needs of the joypad gamer until FM5 came along. You can have the best physics in the world but if you can't translate that to good joypad feel it's all a waste. Thankfully Team10 can nail this.

This is why Forza 4 got me to finally accept the series. They really did get the feel down 100%. Even playing with that silly Wii-style wheel was brilliant with FM4 - it just worked and worked well for the earlier classes (I moved to pad only once I got into the R1 and R2 stuff). It felt worlds better than all of the previous Forza games, and I still like it a lot better than Horizon (though Horizon is great fun as well).

I saw some mention of Pacific Rift earlier in the thread - I actually JUST bought a copy of that a few weeks ago - I need to check it out.

I saw some mention of Pacific Rift earlier in the thread - I actually JUST bought a copy of that a few weeks ago - I need to check it out.

Play in first person. This series is balls to the walls, and the jungle makes it intense!

I want to replay this again just to take in the sights. This is one of the best racing games ever created in my opinion.

Top Bottom