• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Nintendo make so many Kirby games?

Phediuk

I don't understand how there are literally dozens of games in this franchise, almost all released to middling sales, while other games that would diversify their portfolio more (i.e., Metroid, F-Zero) are completely ignored.

Why does Nintendo have such a boner for this series? I don't get it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
they probably don't cost much and sell actually quite good

so yeah, it's money. Like every goddamned game that comes out in this market

Cbajd5

because eventually one of them will be an air ride sequel

or just a re-release of city trial with online play

someday

AEREC

Couldn't tell ya...never been a fan of Kirby. Though the DS one where you had to draw lines was pretty cool.

Sandfox

Kirby sells well unlike the other games you mentioned. Also, why do people say that Metroid is being ignored when it really isn't?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
What? Kirby sells rather decently. And yes, that's the reason.

I DUNNO YOU GUYS SEEMS LIKE NINTENDO HAS A REAL HARD-ON FOR THIS, I GUESS IT HAS TO DO WITH IWATA COMING FROM HAL OR SOMETHING

I like how they experiment a lot with the franchise.

Some examples are:
  • Canvas Curse
  • Epic Yarn
  • Air Ride
  • Kirby's Avalanche
  • Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble

They are also probably cheaper to make than the usual AAA Nintendo game.

RM8

Didn't Epic Yarn and Squeak Squad almost reach 2 million copies? Sure, Kirby is not PokéMario, but also not Metroid, Star Fox or F-Zero.

Also, yes, lots of interesting spin-offs. Mass Attack is my favorite game in the series, the creativity in that game is quite high.

Eusis

Each time they try to make a different game he swallows the game and copies it, so Kirby takes the game's place.

This probably isn't actually too far off from reality given the origins of at least Epic Yarn.

Mory Dunz

672edfa97d4363b2b6a324aeb0d5a4f8.png

Hm, seems a lot more crowded back in the 90s.

...What was your argument again?

I can't speak for them, but when creating anything you don't go "hmm, I'll make 2 of these, 2 of that, and 2 of this so everything can be even!".

It just panned out that way.

Pretty sure that Metroid and Star Fox (and F-Zero) have all sold pretty poorly. As much as everyone clamors for new ones, I dont think the money is...you know, where the mouth is.

I've always loved the Kirby franchise, although I've never really payed attention to the numbers. Maybe they make a lot on merchandise? Maybe it's cheap to make the games? Maybe they have a blood pact with Sakurai?

Roto13

Yes, the basement of the Nintendo HQ in Kyoto has a gigantic, throbbing erection in it that gets bigger and more powerful every time a Kirby game is released. That is the reason.

rtcn63

He's cute, pink, and eats things with little to no repercussion. Basically the sentient embodiment of the middle finger. That's solid.

Phediuk

Yes, the basement of the Nintendo HQ in Kyoto has a gigantic, throbbing erection in it that gets bigger and more powerful every time a Kirby game is released. That is the reason.

Actually, this would explain a lot of Nintendo's business decisions lately.

RK128

Kirby is more or less a blank canvas for Nintendo to use for there many different ideas.

You want a game were you controls a series of things with the touch screen? Throw Kriby into the mix! Want to have a 4 player racing game using flying stars with open locations? Make that a Kirby Racer! Want a game to use the DS's touch screen to its fullest while being traditional to past games? Make that a dam good Kirby game!

The series, more so than Mario or Pokemon is a franchise that is defined by creativity, with every game in the series doing something different or unique. There are some exceptions to this rule with great traditional platformers (Kirby Super Star, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Kirby Returns to Dream Land, Kirby 64 and Kirby Triple Deluxe), but lots of games in the series do something completely unique and in many ways, do a better job showing off Nintendo's systems than the face of the company.

It also doesn't help that Iwata worked at Hal (the studio that makes Kirby games) and Sakarai makes Nintendo's biggest games (Kid Icarus and Smash Bros.), so that could be it too :).

Because HAL Labs seems to want to make Kirby, and then another Kirby, and then some more Kirby.

I'm not sure there's much talent in the studio to go and make something completely different like an F-Zero, so I don't really mind.

Because HAL Labs seems to want to make Kirby, and then another Kirby, and then some more Kirby.

I'm not sure there's much talent in the studio to go and make something completely different like an F-Zero, so I don't really mind.

They made the best Picross game (3D), so there's definitely some talent in there for other games.

Honestly, they don't make enough!

Kirby should actually be taken to other genres, just think of the possibilities.

Get Camelot on Kirby Golf or Kirby Tennis, how about Game Freak or Creatures makes a Kirby RPG? Just like HAL has worked on Pokemon numerous times (AND NEEDS TO DO MORE POKEMON GAMES!), work with Sega to maybe have a Kirby's Avalanche sequel by reskinning a Puyo game...

... use Puyo X Tetris as the base, Kirby's Tetris Avalanche?

Kirby Pinball by Jupiter, hell rumor has it that Fuse Games (now Barnstorm) were underway with one on DS. The team did Mario Pinball Land and Metroid Prime Pinball.

KIRBY KART!!!

That and Air Ride 2, just SO MUCH POTENTIAL for Kirby, also I do feel that Triple Deluxe is RTDL 2.0, which is cool for 3DS, but I hope they don't keep the same theme like that for all eternity. How about going back to Kirby 64 at some point. :(

If F-Zero or Metroid sold as much as Kirby with similar costs put in, then Nintendo would make those as well. Fortunately the Kirby games are generally really high quality for people like me that enjoy them, and the series itself does often see experimentation.

Mory Dunz

Kirby is more or less a blank canvas for Nintendo to use for there many different ideas.

You want a game were you controls a series of things with the touch screen? Throw Kriby into the mix! Want to have a 4 player racing game using flying stars with open locations? Make that a Kirby Racer! Want a game to use the DS's touch screen to its fullest while being traditional to past games? Make that a dam good Kirby game!

The series, more so than Mario or Pokemon is a franchise that is defined by creativity, with every game in the series doing something different or unique. There are some exceptions to this rule (Kirby Super Star, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Kirby Returns to Dream Land, Kirby 64 and Kirby Triple Deluxe), but lots of games in the series do something completely unique and in many ways, do a better job showing off Nintendo's systems than the face of the company.

It also doesn't help that Iwata worked at Hal (the studio that makes Kirby games) and Sakarai makes Nintendo's biggest games (Kid Icarus and Smash Bros.), so that could be it too :).

Hey now....Don't go insulting the best kirby game.
All the different modes/stories, side stuff, An RPG battle in the middle of the game??
Platformers pls

Because the Western version is a bully.
I assumed they sold well. Wasn't Epic Yarn well received?

I actually just looked.
It had a Metacritic of 86 and is apparently like the best recieved Kirby game...ever.
surprised me.

RM8

So glad Mass Attack did well. Kirby sells well even when Nintendo tries some really crazy stuff with the gameplay.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
F-Zero GX LTD is about 100k in Japan

Kirby's recent adventures Kirby: Triple Deluxe is reaching 600k in Japan.

The pink ball is making dem da dough. F-Zero dead son.

Velcro Fly

They sell well, even if they aren't exactly the tried and true formula. I imagine they aren't difficult to develop. Triple Deluxe was announced in October and released in January. No doubt it was in development before that but even still that is a quick turnaround. On top of that Kirby is lovable and fun. The Kirby world is filled with some memorable enemies and such. There has been enough new things tried with the franchise to keep it fresh without it becoming something else entirely.

RK128

Hey now....Don't go insulting the best kirby game.
All the different modes/stories, side stuff, An RPG battle in the middle of the game??
Platformers pls

Insult? I was making a complement! I love Super Star, Air Ride, Canvas Curse, Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing Mirror :). The point is that Kirby fits well with...anything really, so that what I meant with my first lines. Didn't mean to insult the games :(.

Thorakai

Not only do they need to make more games, they need to bring back the Kirby anime with dubs in tact. Southern Dedede was the best.

Mory Dunz

Insult? I was making a complement! I love Super Star, Air Ride, Canvas Curse, Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing Mirror :). The point is that Kirby fits well with...anything really, so that what I meant with my first lines. Didn't mean to insult the games :(.

Oh I thought you were implying that it wasn't creative because it wasn't one of the more unique games.

Nevermind. Misread it.

Top Bottom