• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Nintendo make so many Kirby games?

MrBadger

Squeak Squad was pretty ewww.

Wouldn't call Squeak Squad bad, but it was definitely the weakest of the Kirbys I've played. Really easy to 100% (even for Kirby standards) and so many reused assets. I can see someone who didn't play Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing Mirror before it enjoying it though.

I don't understand how there are literally dozens of games in this franchise, almost all released to middling sales, while other games that would diversify their portfolio more (i.e., Metroid, F-Zero) are completely ignored.

Why does Nintendo have such a boner for this series? I don't get it.

Kirby is awesome? My only request is put him in 3d more or forever for now on.

Ridley327

For Wii U, certainly, given how piss poor it's selling. For 3DS and Wii, a proper game would sell nicely. Other M was awful, got terrible reviews and reception and scared away buyers, but it's naive from Nintendo to believe (if they really do), just because they made one fuck up, when the series had steady and constantly million seller games.

Consistent as it is, there comes a point where a million sales isn't going to be enough for games of a certain budget, and certainly Metroid has been a series where the budget has grown and grown since they went 3D, hence the comments where doing a million isn't likely to be enough for the resources that they've put into the series in the last decade. A 2D or even a 2.5D game would certainly bring costs down a bit to where that milestone would be quite profitable indeed, but I don't think that helps broaden the appeal of a series that already has appeal problems, outside of the already-converted.

Alrus

The Kirby games are very consistant seller in Japan (they vary between 500 and 700k copies sold with the exceptions of some of the DS games which sold over a million).

They're probably not too expensive to make, and they're also relatively popular in the US (I'm guessing less in Europe considering how we didn't even get the Kirby collection for the Wii and we get usually get the games much later than the US).

F-Zero sold like shit, as good as the game is. Other M bombed really badly and was a rather expensive game.

Star Fox probably wouldn't sell close to Kirby's number, but it has slightly more potential (I think the 3D port sold rather decently in the US), but still, might not be worth it.

Also so far we've had one Kirby game for the 3DS this gen, I wouldn't call that a lot.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What? They've only made one console Kirby in the past 15 years.

Seriously, who is this guy?

Azure J

Long and short, Kirby sells, the rest doesn't.

Considering the state of this forum's Iwata critics, I find myself unable to figure out if this is sincere or trolling.

It's so hard to figure this out and read Nintendo threads sometimes. :lol

Madao

People seriously need to stop acting like Metroid is dead or Nintendo is ignoring it just because there hasn't been a release for the 3DS or Wii U yet.

the same was said about F-Zero last gen and look how things turned out. there were even excuses like "there wouldn't be a graphical jump on Wii" or "the DS has shitty 3D anyway". now, it's been 10 years since the last F-Zero game was made.

it's also been almost 4 years since Other M and Nintendo doesn't even try to make a new game to wash away the bad taste. i never thought people would cling so badly to discussing that game over the years instead of slipping it under a rug after 2010 was over. there has been numerous series with better installments that have been forgotten in a year or 2. it even ruins 80% discussions of Metroid everywhere unless it is explicitly banned from the discussion at hand.

pariah164

Because Meta Knight.

Meta_Knight%28Clear%29.png

Look at that badass.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Enough that Kid Icarus was not in the running.

I'm sort of surprised that they included Donkey Kong. He just had a revival like a year before that.

Huh? Obviously the poll creator would know not to include Kid Icarus as it had already been revived. In fact, it's probably what inspired the poll in the first place. But the people that voted on the poll (in particular, the Star Fox voters) may not have experienced Uprising by then, which is what I meant.

I been gaming for 30 years
Owned every Nintendo console
I love platformers
I have never played a Kirby game

Go fix that!

No.

Kirby Squeak Squad is middling; it's pretty much a standard Kirby game and anyone saying it's bad is just being dramatic.

I wouldn't call it bad either but during my series playthrough following the Dream Collection release it was a definite spot of mediocrity. Level design has never been Kirby's forte, yet it was noticeably bad there.

By the way, I know it's kind of a non-standard Kirby game, but Canvas Curse is one of the best Kirby games if not the best. Extremely creative, used the system's capabilities very well, tons of content, great remixes of classic Kirby music. It's an unsung gem.

By the way, I know it's kind of a non-standard Kirby game, but Canvas Curse is one of the best Kirby games if not the best. Extremely creative, used the system's capabilities very well, tons of content, great remixes of classic Kirby music. It's an unsung gem.
Canvas Curse is probably my favorite Kirby game. I would love a sequel.

BlackJace

Canvas Curse is indeed an awesome game. We'll probably never see a sequel, but it was yet another experiment that worked great. Seems to be a thing with Kirby games, the experimentation.

I think the games would sell way better if Nintendo actually advertised / promoted them, other than just a quick "Oh, btw, we have a new Kirby game."

So many people I talk to don't even know Return to Dreamland is a thing that exists on the Wii and is far superior than Epic Yarn.

RM8

I'm playing Squeak Squad... I love it.
I honestly loved it too, but I'm not very vocal about it because somehow people seem to dislike it. Call it low in creativity, but I don't think it was a bad game. I also love that there are tons of colors available for Kirby :p

Celine

F-Zero had steady and constant numbers until was outsourced to Sega and Suzak as yourself provided with numbers. GX underperformed next to X and Maximum Velocity, yes, but what blew it were the disastrous numbers for GP Legend and Climax. If I remember correctly, Climax sold less than 10k in the first week. Suzak's F-Zero games were never hot in reception.

How was the genre the fault for it's underperformance since one of the major complains about Adventures, Assault and Command was exactly they weren't faithful to the series's formula? This is misleading and not accurate to the facts.

Ah, yes, Star Fox 64 3D... for the same reason DKCR 3DS and WW HD Edition didn't made nowhere near the original release performance, it was unrealistic for Nintendo to rely on it to be a parameter for the series success rather than a brand new title. But, as far as I remember, it did almost 500k in US alone, so, for a port, it wasn't really THAT BAD. But, Nintendo's management is japanese-centric, so they consider only their homeland performance, so they believe, yes, the series is dead.

For Wii U, certainly, given how piss poor it's selling. For 3DS and Wii, a proper game would sell nicely. Other M was awful, got terrible reviews and reception and scared away buyers, but it's naive from Nintendo to believe (if they really do), just because they made one fuck up, when the series had steady and constantly million seller games.
1) if a new game from the Star Fox, F-Zero or Metroid series would be made it will very likely outsourced because Nintendo internal resources need to work on big seller titles.

2) the genre matter of course.
How many arcade/futuristic racers or 3D shmups are being developed currently?
Ever wonder why?
It ain t the 90s anymore mate, unfortunately.

3) Even for 3DS a fzero or star fox game would be troubled to reach 1M.

Also metroid, star fox and fzero all received different treatment in the last decade depending on their sales potential:
Metroid>Star Fox> FZero.

4) for FZero and Star Fox sales expectation isn the only problem.
They both lack a internal manager/director to drive the series.
Star Fox is being handled by QGames because Cuthberg works there.

Kangi

Has there ever really been a bad Kirby game though?

Squeak Squad was a bad Kirby game, but not really a bad game. Playing other handheld Kirby games and then going to Squeak Squad is supremely "Eh...", but on its own it's not offensively bad.

Zalman

Triple Deluxe is the first actual Kirby game since 2011. Return to Dream Land was the first traditional Kirby game on a home console since the N64. Mass Attack, Canvas Curse and Epic Yarn were all very unique and different from the rest.

Because of all these things, I am definitely not tired of Kirby yet.

1) if a new game from the Star Fox, F-Zero or Metroid series would be made it will very likely outsourced because Nintendo internal resources need to work on big seller titles.

That's the problem. This article sums up very well Nintendo's reliance on maximizing profits direction and how bad it turned out:

http://www.dromble.com/2013/12/10/nintendos-obsession-with-finding-one-game-that-can-sell-consoles/

2) the genre matter of course.
How many arcade/futuristic racers or 3D shmups are being developed currently?
Ever wonder why?
It ain t the 90s anymore mate, unfortunately.

Because the latest games of the genre were disappointments with awful reviews/reception or were niche franchises with little appeal unable to replicate the same popularity from Star Fox/F-Zero?

Nintendo has tradition in reviving old franchises and making them relevant again. They did that with Metroid in 2002, DKC in 2010, Kid Icarus in 2012 and Pikmin last year. I'm glad they didn't followed your "It ain't the [insert decade here] anymore" excuse, otherwise we would never see them coming back, or even play the great games which brought back their relevancy.

4) for FZero and Star Fox sales expectation isn the only problem.
They both lack a internal manager/director to drive the series.
Star Fox is being handled by QGames because Cuthberg works there.

Retro, Next-Level and Platinum (if Nintendo keeps their current relationship) would be great options for Star Fox. Monster Games could handle F-Zero, they made a good job with Excitebots and Excite Truck. Now considering the budget worries someone point as a reason to not make F-Zero, Shin'en often works with low-budget titles with amazing results, so they would be an excellent financial viable option.

So many Kirby games? Wii had 2, 3DS is going to have 1 soon, and Wii U has none so far.

I'd love another F-Zero, but I just don't think a modern Star Fox would sell today, there's no way I'm paying 50 euros for an on-rail shooter, and I have nostalgic feelings for the franchise, casual gamers probably wouldn't even give a shit. An eShop game makes more sense, maybe even for F-Zero.

Top Bottom