• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Elder Scrolls Online Review

Toxi

Banned
Just out of curiosity since I've only seen one or two of his video reviews, but does Angry Joe pretty much hate on every game or does he actually like some of the stuff he plays?
He actually likes a lot of stuff. He's definitely more positive than I am.

Nydius

That's not what I mean. Apparentley, according to this review, you can be in a group, but each member has to do the quest objectives individually. As in, you all have to hit the switch, you all have to gather x amount of items. Why wouldn't the game pool those objectives, since you're in a group? Seems like MMO 101.

Precisely. It's not just Joe's videos, either. I've seen many other videos which show the same issue. ESO is MMO design from a decade ago. 10 years ago it was acceptable to be in a group running around Azeroth and needing to wait for items to respawn so everyone could click it individually. Since then, most MMOs have introduced pooled objectives and resources.

ESO doesn't. Like early SWTOR, grouping is a hindrance in ESO thanks to poor planning and design. Everything is done faster solo until you decide to do a dungeon but then you only need to do the dungeon once or twice until you go right back to soloing. (Edit: Plus there's the added lunacy of bots in public dungeons which, despite Zenimax's recent claims of banning said bots, seem to be increasing in number.) You don't need a group or a guild until end game or pvp. MMOs where the bulk of the content is best done solo are hardly worthy of the MMO genre title.

CoLaN

OTs tend to be very positive. The first OT does, at least. Especially ones that are as small as the ESO one.

Nope. The ESO OT was shitting on the game for a long time. Then people started to actually play the game, and it slowly changed. It was fun to see.

Also, you can complete quests by just playing with other people, even while you are not in the same group.

The questing experience feels polished, and i can see someone comparing it to SWTOR only if they didnt even try ESO. Sure, there are issues and bugs, but honestly it seems like people found a game to (overly) trash just for the fun of it.

I am not dismissing criticism of course, im talking about comments like "the game is pure shit".

Atomski

I dont usually care for Angry Joe but he is right, this damn game has a lot of problems and its pretty much lead me to stop playing it. I am just not enjoying it at all.

Somnia

Ideally, I would've liked overland quest objectives to be shareable with the whole group. Maybe they'll fix that later on..

Oh I agree with you, just wanted to point out a lot of us are grouping and doing good. The only time it really sucks is if its a lot quest on a random spawning item on the ground since everyone has to get it separately.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Nope. The ESO OT was shitting on the game for a long time. Then people started to actually play the game, and it slowly changed. It was fun to see.

Define "a long time". This also doesn't change what I said. OTs tend to be very positive and the ESO one is very positive.

Chaos17

How do you know for a fact that 20 gold in WoW is not the same as 17k gold in this game. Are you a MMO economist? By level 20 I had enough to buy the cheap horse (17k in ESO btw) in both games.

The starter horse for 17k has the same amount of stats as the one that comes with the imperial edition. They just put 5 more points into speed vs stamina on the imperial horse. You can feed your horse every 20 hours to make it go faster, have more stamina or have inventory slots. Each day it costs 250G to buy one of the 3 types of food.

So Joe is wrong.

I only replied to you because you started to talk about WoW cash shop mounts.
I don't play EsO, so I won't say who is wrong or right.
You seems to know how to make that lot of money, you should share it so you will prove Joe is wrong.

docbon

Doesn't sound as intensive as getting your mount on FFXIV ARR. That actually kind of sucks he cherrypicked when you're saying quests give you 100+ gold and you can sell items for more gold.

There's a lot of cherry picking and misrepresentation mixed in with the legitimate concerns, which is my main beef with the review. I might go into depth in another post when I get home, though I'm not sure anyone will bother listening.

I only replied to you because you started to talk about WoW cash shop mounts.
I don't play EsO, so I won't say who is wrong or right.
You seems to know how to make that lot of money, you should share it so you will prove Joe is wrong.
Do quests and sell loot you don't need to NPCs.

I have 22k at the moment at 42 and I've been dumping my gold into bag/bank space, over a 20k investment right now. I don't even sell all the gear I find. The bulk of it I break down for crafting. I pretty much never try to barter stuff either.

Even just NPCing every thing I find would give me more gold than I'd need to spend on something.

Also the game is fine without a global AH. If you've played Path of Exile it works the same way here. Plus there are merchant focused guilds you can join I'm sure.

I found 1-2 decent purple items I've sold through just a single shout of: "WTS X PST offers only". Get a reply within seconds, and since I hate bartering I just take the highest offer.

If mobs dropped more gold than they did, pockets would be flooded.

EDIT: Also I played WoW for the first time ever a few months ago. I got all the way to 90 and did some of the early raids. My character can't afford most of the mount abilities, like MoP flight, let alone faster flight speeds. So I don't get how horses in this are any different.

Because Leif, unlike many other gaming sites, has actually put well over 100+ hours into the game and updated his in-progress review as he went along the game. An MMO isn't some vacuum-sealed game. MMOs are often either too hastily reviewed (SWTOR) or spent such little time with that the reviewer may even admit that this review isn't an encompassment of the full potential of the game.

Leif has written reviews for other MMOs, FF14 included, and it isn't unusual for gaming sites to swap different reviewers to review different MMOs. This makes it more difficult to gauge the actual worth of the review because two different people can have such a difference in view as to MMOs.

Beyond that, it's simply a well written, thoughtful review. You can tell his lens is objective and he is critical and receptive to different things about the game.

Honestly, go read it. I don't know what else to tell you. If you're new to MMOs, I can tell you that of all the genres in gaming, MMOs are often the most shit on in terms of review quality. And, honestly, it's hard to blame gaming journalist when it can take, literally, over 100 hours to really give an honest, full-fledged opinion of an MMO.

Thanks. I'm not new to MMOs. I've played them a lot. Well, Everquest, LOTRO and DCUO.

To be honest they generally aren't my cup of tea for the same reason they don't scratch Joe's itch that often.

1) I generally hate the gameplay. they aren't action mmos most of the time (I hate gaming on a keyboard)
2) I could care less about the setting that I'm gaming in. The world tends to not interest me at all..

DCUO was the exception to #1, and LOTRO was the exception to #2 (started following LOTRO development in '99)

While it's ok that someone spends 160 hours with a game prior to reviewing it, I'm pretty sure I can go by that person's first 50 hour impression to know if I'm going to enjoy the world and the gameplay enough to spend $60+$15 over the next two months. Hell, I'm not going to put in much more time than that.

It's fine that people don't like Joe. It's also fine that people disagree with his opinions.

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of people like his schtick (me being one of them) more than comparable reviewers on other websites.

docbon

Okay, here we go~

-----

My biggest two beefs. I'll try to keep it concise:

"One thing you'll ask is yourself, is why every damn thing you kill drops a single gold piece." (link)

This is true, most of the enemies you encounter in the lower level areas will drop 1-2 gold each. What is also true is that they drop armor, weapons, jewelry, and junk loot solely meant for vendoring. The items you find usually have a vendor value of 10-15 gold, though some loot you find have special traits that allow you to sell them for more than double their base value.

As for why quest "bosses" don't drop fat loot, I'm assuming it's because they don't want players to farm them. You'll almost always get a reward in the form of a piece of equipment given to you by the quest NPC upon completion of the quest, however.

It's particularly funny in the context of the review, because he cuts the clip and bitches about receiving no reward for killing the boss. What you don't see is him walking out of the instance and immediately getting an item for killing the boss and finishing the quest. I know this because I did the same quest last night. This clip is also silly for reasons I will explain further on.

Also, the loot issue he's talking about only applies to quest mobs. World / dungeon bosses will almost always drop common, and uncommon quality items on death, but also have a chance to drop unique rare items.

"Zenimax clearly has priced the horses so that it would be unreasonably difficult and time consuming to purchase them through in-game money. And then the game that has these huge expanses of nothing and emptiness in between quest locations, especially Cyrodiil, the PVP location, it takes forever to get places on foot. (link)

You'd have to kill 41,000 skeletons if you want a horse worth a damn." (link)

For this next part I will use a map:
9Dkumav.jpg

Ignoring for a moment that the maps are pretty densely packed with points of interest, with each symbol on the map containing quests (or world bosses in the case of the skulls), you'll notice a dozen shrine looking icons with blue auras surrounding them. From any point on them map, you can click on these shrines to instantly teleport to them for a small gold fee. If you interact with a shrine directly, you can teleport for no fee at all.

What does this mean? It means that after you explore the map for the first time, you can travel to any point within it in under a minute. On foot.

Why didn't Joe bring it up in the review? I don't know, and I won't question his motivations, but he can't claim ignorance to the fact that fast travel exists because you're forced to use it in order to leave Cyrodiil.

And yes, you could kill 40,000 skeletons and pick up individual gold pieces to obtain a tier 2 horse-- If you were completely inept at the game. You could just vendor your loot and trade with other players to get it. In the case of the 17k horse, you can easily get it before level 20 by doing this. For comparison, the chocobo mount in FFXIV requires you to be level 20 before you can complete the quest to get it (although there is no gil cost attached).

----

Some smaller things:

Map complaints (link):

Here you see him wandering around on the second floor balcony of a building, complaining about how horrible the map is because he can't find the banker. Since I'm currently questing in the area, I decided to take a screenshot of that building's entrance. And yes, this is some darksydephil shit.

His minute long visit to Oblivion (link):

Here he shows some footage of him entering the Deadlands, pressing a button and exiting the instance. The implication here is that this is the entire quest, despite the quest text "Close the Portals: 1/3" appearing on the screen. So where's the rest of the quest? It's 12 minutes earlier in the review where he fights the boss and bitches about the 2 gold drop.

----

Two things I noticed that are probably legit misconceptions:
  • The ability to make a character part of any alliance is not a collector's edition bonus, it was exclusive to pre-orders.
  • The horse from the collector's edition is equivalent to the tier 1 horse, and not the 42k one.
----

I could go on, but I'll cut it off here. As I said before, many of his concerns are legitimate. Phasing and quest progress are handled abysmally in a group setting. The impact of players camping and botting in dungeons absolutely shatters immersion, and makes stealth nearly worthless at times. And technical issues like the dupe glitch, bank wipe bug, and falling through the map were inexcusable post launch.

It's just grating to see him grossly misrepresent parts of the game, or speaking at length about issues that are anything but.

Still, the review did have its uses. I hope Zenimax sees the bad press and makes adjustments to the game that will ultimately make it better in the long run.

Eschaton, I will take my L now.
Roi8Sea.gif

HowZatOZ

Banned
Okay, here we go~
Now this, this is a great breakdown and an adequate look at certain parts of his rather hyperbolic video. Of course, as Docbon noted there are a number of problems with the game that Angry Joe represented, but there are also problems with the review in that it tries to fluff up the complaints with ill-wrong information.

Ah well, each to their own I guess and its great that Joe actually enjoyed the game while giving it an average score. I'm not one to praise the game as the next WoW killer or something, but it does ignite that rather addictive feeling that I haven't experienced since vanilla WoW, which I'm grateful for.

Mononoke

Banned
Okay, here we go~

-----

My biggest two beefs. I'll try to keep it concise:

This is true, most of the enemies you encounter in the lower level areas will drop 1-2 gold each. What is also true is that they drop armor, weapons, jewelry, and junk loot solely meant for vendoring. The items you find usually have a vendor value of 10-15 gold, though some loot you find have special traits that allow you to sell them for more than double their base value.

As for why quest "bosses" don't drop fat, I'm assuming it's because they don't want players to farm them. You'll almost always get a reward in the form of a piece of equipment given to you by the quest NPC upon completion of the quest, however.

It's particularly funny in the context of the review, because he cuts the clip and bitches about receiving no reward for killing the boss. What you don't see is him walking out of the instance and immediately getting an item for killing the boss and finishing the quest. I know this because I did the same quest last night. This clip is also silly for reasons I will explain further on.

Also, the loot issue he's talking about only applies to quest mobs. World / dungeon bosses will almost always drop common, and uncommon quality items on death, but also have a chance to drop unique rare items.

For this next part I will use a map:

Ignoring for a moment that the maps are pretty densely packed with points of interest, with each symbol on the map containing quests (or world bosses in the case of the skulls), you'll notice a dozen shrine looking icons with blue auras surrounding them. From any point on them map, you can click on these shrines to instantly teleport to them for a small gold fee. If you interact with a shrine directly, you can teleport for no fee at all.

What does this mean? It means that after you explore the map for the first time, you can travel to any point within it in under a minute. On foot.

Why didn't Joe bring it up in the review? I don't know, and I won't question his motivations, but he can't claim ignorance to the fact that fast travel exists because you're forced to use it in order to leave Cyrodiil.

And yes, you could kill 40,000 skeletons and pick up individual gold pieces to obtain a tier 2 horse-- If you were completely inept at the game. You could just vendor your loot and trade with other players to get it. In the case of the 17k horse, you can easily get it before level 20 by doing this. For comparison, the chocobo mount in FFXIV requires you to be level 20 before you can complete the quest to get it (although there is no gil cost attached).

----

Some smaller things:

Map complaints (link):

Here you see him wandering around on the second floor balcony of a building, complaining about how horrible the map is because he can't find the banker. Since I'm currently questing in the area, I decided to take a screenshot of that building's entrance. And yes, this is some darksydephil shit.

His minute long visit to Oblivion (link):

Here he shows some footage of him entering the Deadlands, pressing a button and exiting the instance. The implication here is that this is the entire quest, despite the quest text "Close the Portals: 1/3" appearing on the screen. So where's the rest of the quest? It's 12 minutes earlier in the review where he fights the boss and bitches about the 2 gold drop.

----

Two things I noticed that are probably legit misconceptions:
  • The ability to make a character part of any alliance is not a collector's edition bonus, it was exclusive to pre-orders.
  • The horse from the collector's edition is equivalent to the tier 1 horse, and not the 42k one.
----

I could go on, but I'll cut it off here. As I said before, many of his concerns are legitimate. Phasing and quest progress are handled abysmally in a group setting. The impact of players camping and botting in dungeons absolutely shatters immersion, and makes stealth nearly worthless at times. And technical issues like the dupe glitch, bank wipe bug, and falling through the map were inexcusable post launch.

It's just grating to see him grossly misrepresent parts of the game, or speaking at length about issues that are anything but.

Still, the review did have its uses. I hope Zenimax sees the bad press and makes adjustments to the game that will ultimately make it better in the long run.

Eschaton, I will take my L now.
Roi8Sea.gif

Great post. But ultimately, I think he's right when it comes to the content. It's subjective, sure. But basically, this game has a wealth of things to do, they are just boring/bland. Realm Reborn IMO did a better job with the overall grouping and community based missions, so most missions were fun to a degree. I feel like most of the missions in this game are drawn out too long, have slow pacing, and just aren't fun. The story isn't that great either.

EDIT: But I agree with your criticisms about the review. It's a shame given the amount of time and effort he puts into these, that he doesn't do a better job examining his view points before going with them.

JLeack

Banned
I dont usually care for Angry Joe but he is right, this damn game has a lot of problems and its pretty much lead me to stop playing it. I am just not enjoying it at all.

Really, if a game can be boiled down to just being boring it's hard to recommend no matter how good the other parts of the game are. I'm with you.

Enosh

If you need to play a game for 50 hours to get to the good part then that's wrong. He's not enjoying what he's playing, why would he continue? I played ESO for 60 hours and am only level 28. Do I not have an opinion? Is my opinion invalid?

And since when is the MMORPG Elder Scrolls Online a single player game? The main story in any MMO is one of the least important aspects.

Your attitude is incredibly hostile and disrepectful to anyone who wants to engage you in a serious conversation.
I didn't buy ESO and have no real interest in the game but just as we expect from any single player review to be written by someone who has actually finished the game so to we should expect from MMO reviews to be written by someone who, while might not have finished the game since that's a broad concept in mmo terms, should have at least reached level cap and explored the zones along with being able to provide some commentary on the endgame

does that take a lot of time? yep, but if you want a thorough review it's what should be done
of course if the first 20h are shit feel free to mention it

docbon

I didn't buy ESO and have no real interest in the game but just as we expect from any single player review to be written by someone who has actually finished the game so to we should expect from MMO reviews to be written by someone who, while might not have finished the game since that's a broad concept in mmo terms, should have at least reached level cap and explored the zones along with being able to provide some commentary on the endgame

does that take a lot of time? yep, but if you want a thorough review it's what should be done
of course if the first 20h are shit feel free to mention it

The fact that he didn't hit cap means I have to take a few things with a grain of salt, such as his comment that quest decisions have no real deep impact. How could you make that call if you haven't actually played the game to story completion?

Early on in the game as a member of the Daggerfall Covenant, you have to decide whether to destroy an ancient Ayleid relic, or hand it over to the Daggerfall Covenant so that they can use it to help them win the war. Of course, the people who accompany you to obtain this relic all have strongly differing views about what should be done with it, and when you make the decision, some of them will decide to cut ties with you.

The quest itself concludes, but you don't see the effects of it until 30 levels later, when you reach Rivenspire. It's nothing earth shattering, but it's clear some decisions have consequences that don't immediately manifest themselves. You just have to pay attention.

Of course, the other faction storylines might be handled differently. I'm just speaking from my experience.

Really great post docbon. You're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters. :)

Don't entirely agree, but very well said and more constructive than my rants of crazy hyperbole, lol.

You guys should watch his TWITCH stream going on right now. He's entertaining to some. Enough for some to give him $5 a month just to help keep him doing what he does.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Do we know what level Joe was at when this review was written?

MMO reviews are worthless if they are not given enough time and not followed up upon on a consistent basis as the game evolves and has ups and downs throughout.

I don't even believe the trial month time has even expired for ESO yet so I think any "review" is to be taken with a grain of salt until then. I believe this for all MMOs. You just don't get the real picture. FFXIV's flaws didn't really expose themselves until after the themepark came to a stop. Since then, there have been two major patches which have either changed the game for better or worse. The game is clearly not the same. Now, expand that to World of Warcraft. Or LOTRO. Etc.

Standard reviews for the MMO genre are worthless. I mean, unless you feel the game is just so bad that you wash your hands of it (and ESO is NOT one of those games) then...well, they are being handled wrong. Only two major MMOs in history probably fit that mold. FFXIV 1.0 and Anarchy Online (for a good amount of time). And even THOSE games evolved over time.

Lain

I found it to be an interesting review.
I wasn't interested in the game since it was announced but you know, there is always some curiosity about how something turned out. This review just makes sure I'll never play it even if it goes f2p and I'm fine with that.

dubq

Do we know what level Joe was at when this review was written?

MMO reviews are worthless if they are not given enough time and not followed up upon on a consistent basis as the game evolves and has ups and downs throughout.

I don't even believe the trial month time has even expired for ESO yet so I think any "review" is to be taken with a grain of salt until then. I believe this for all MMOs. You just don't get the real picture. FFXIV's flaws didn't really expose themselves until after the themepark came to a stop. Since then, there have been two major patches which have either changed the game for better or worse. The game is clearly not the same. Now, expand that to World of Warcraft. Or LOTRO. Etc.

Standard reviews for the MMO genre are worthless. I mean, unless you feel the game is just so bad that you wash your hands of it (and ESO is NOT one of those games) then...well, they are being handled wrong. Only two major MMOs in history probably fit that mold. FFXIV 1.0 and Anarchy Online (for a good amount of time). And even THOSE games evolved over time.

Honestly man, when you're talking about simple things like grouping mechanics and questing, I don't care what level you are at as it's apparent from the get go. If he was specifically talking down end-game content without having played it, that would be another story.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Honestly man, when you're talking about simple things like grouping mechanics and questing, I don't care what level you are at as it's apparent from the get go. If he was specifically talking down end-game content without having played it, that would be another story.

That's fine. The grouping needs work. It's legit to point that out. However, how much do we want to bet that when/if Zenimax expands on it and it improves, Joe won't be covering it?

The questing complaints though (non grouped)... I don't understand tbh. They are the exact same types of quests that exist in every Elder Scrolls game. And...people love the shit out of ES games. Why the big hub bub now? Because it's an MMO so, now they are bad? I honestly don't get this.

Fuz

Banned
That's fine. The grouping needs work. It's legit to point that out. However, how much do we want to bet that when/if Zenimax expands on it and it improves, Joe won't be covering it?

I'll repeat myself: They're taking our money now.

And please, please stop with that idea that MMOs have to be evaluated only at cap... a game should be fun since the first moments, otherwise it's a bad game.

(I'll also point again that I actually like the game and think that Joe was too harsh)

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
God knows. He is a poor man's Jim Sterling.

Yet another You Tuber who believes he is an expert on everything.

What feats does someone need to accomplish to be proclaimed an expert on MMOs?

Since when has there ever been an expectation that a game, a movie, or a person gets a do-over after a bad first impression? Sometimes this happens with popular games that have big influxes of new content. Sometimes that movie gets a director's cut on a Blu-Ray that inspires a fresh look. Sometimes a company will give you a second interview even if you fucked up. But, that's not the expectation.

BigDug13

The fact that he didn't hit cap means I have to take a few things with a grain of salt, such as his comment that quest decisions have no real deep impact. How could you make that call if you haven't actually played the game to story completion?

Early on in the game as a member of the Daggerfall Covenant, you have to decide whether to destroy an ancient Ayleid relic, or hand it over to the Daggerfall Covenant so that they can use it to help them win the war. Of course, the people who accompany you to obtain this relic all have strongly differing views about what should be done with it, and when you make the decision, some of them will decide to cut ties with you.

The quest itself concludes, but you don't see the effects of it until 30 levels later, when you reach Rivenspire. It's nothing earth shattering, but it's clear some decisions have consequences that don't immediately manifest themselves. You just have to pay attention.

Of course, the other faction storylines might be handled differently. I'm just speaking from my experience.

The nature of MMO pretty much makes it impossible for your quest results to have real world impact on the PvE side. They could maybe change dialog options and they could have the servers themselves advance through a storyline, but it's pretty much impossible to have a single player able to make world-changing impacts in an MMO because that would alter content for players who had not done those quests.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
If you would read the OT you would realize that most of the people that bought the game are surprisingly enjoying it.

This is why I bought the game. Everyone was so positive. Then I played it and ran into all the problem Angry Joe mentioned. The game isn't that good.

docbon

The nature of MMO pretty much makes it impossible for your quest results to have real world impact on the PvE side. They could maybe change dialog options and they could have the servers themselves advance through a storyline, but it's pretty much impossible to have a single player able to make world-changing impacts in an MMO because that would alter content for players who had not done those quests.

The game addresses this somewhat through the use of phasing. For the most part, every time you complete a step in the quest, the world changes from your perspective. Unfortunately, it has the big side effect of creating the grouping issues that Joe mentioned in the review.

Haunted

People that think the game is bad say their piece and then leave. The only ones sticking around in an OT after a while are the ones liking the game.

dubq

I'd like to note that I still have this game on pre-order for PS4 and I will certainly play the fuck out of it. :)

Top Bottom