• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simulator games are the best

I no rite? For years I had been waiting and I was finally satiated with the release of DayZ the world's foremost long distance running simulator.

Ferrio

Banned
Goat Simulator and Surgeon Simulator are not simulators; they should be in a different genre as far as I'm concerned due to how little research went into them. If you want a simulator that actually, you know, simulates, rather than being just a silly Unity physics toy, I have some recommendations:

If you want a simulator that has distance abridgements for the sake of preventing boredom, I recommend Euro Truck Simulator 2 (and/or waiting for American Truck Simulator) off the top of my head.

ETS 2 is a far cry from a real simulator too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm looking forward to CityBound:

http://blog.cityboundsim.com
zhourH0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_d9zo2A4QY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SeAlGGnqIE

My uncle works for Hospital and told me that Surgeon Simulator is exactly what real surgery is like.

This exactly! I actually have a friend who's a goat, and he told me that Goat Simulator is so boring for him because it's just what he does all day anyway.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not having Euro Truck Simulator 2 in the OP is a crime...

Lotto

y7qPbvj.png

One of my favorites. I still wish that a company would step up to the plate and bring back the more kooky and generally strange simulators. I think there's plenty of potential for something similar to it, different arthropods/insects to explore.

TheBear

I tried out Euro Truck Simulator 2 the other day and the controller functionality was complete shit. Is there a mod for it or something to get it to work properly?

ETS 2 is a far cry from a real simulator too.

The non-simulator elements (abridged distances, abridged time, lack of eating requirement) are, as I said, in place to prevent monotonous, grinding-to-a-halt gameplay. The game still shows research and care towards the idea of simulation leagues ahead of joke games: in particular, the trucks are modeled with such a level of detail, following such a level of research, that the manufacturers of the trucks are willing to officially lend their company name and logo to the developers to use, and often even give the development team trucks for the sake of measuring and recording sounds.

Toddimus Prime

Neo Member
Euro Truck Simulator 2 is still the one to beat. All other games that I've played with the suffix '-Simulator' really pale in comparison. If they had as much love put into development as ETS2 has they'd be half way there.

Though Alan Wake is the best Novel Writing Simulator since Microsoft Word 2003 so check that out.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
As a Scuba diver of fifteen years I can tell you that Endless Ocean 2 (Wii, 2010) is legit good at capturing the moment to moment feel of scuba diving, and is also a pretty great way to learn about marine fauna. The sites I've visited in real life are also very similar to their in game counterparts.

The liberties taken are mostly in order to preserve a fun gameplay experience, similarly to what Euro Truck 2 does, and for the most part it's pretty obvious when the game strays into the realm of fiction (this is mainly done in the story mode). If you have a Wii and are curious about Scuba Diving, I highly recommend it!

Impressions Games city-building simulators are the best.

SvfIFkq.jpg
Bought Zeus and Poseidon from GOG a while ago, I still play them from time to time since hi res and widescreen support was modded in to all Impressions games by fans.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This looks amazing. I've been starving for a good city builder akin to SimCity for a long time. I hope he can pull it off.
He just put up another update today!

The Road to Alpha, Week 7 - First Signs of Gameplay Detected

The interesting thing is it's built in JavaScript. It'll have Mac, Windows and Linux versions that basically run embedded browsers but it'd be neat if he implemented DropBox support for file saving and put an online version that would let you play from anywhere as long as you own it. I can't wait to play with it myself.

ElyrionX

Bought Euro Truck Sim at last year's Steam sale but never got around to it. Is it worth the hassle of setting up my wheel (Logitech G27) to play it?

Can someone explain what's the appeal with Euro Truck Simulator 2? Genuinely no sarcasm intended, I'm just curious. I've never actually played it but judging from the premise its appeal is surprisingly broad.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Can someone explain what's the appeal with Euro Truck Simulator 2? Genuinely no sarcasm intended, I'm just curious. I've never actually played it but judging from the premise its appeal is surprisingly broad.
Best to download the demo from Steam and try for yourself.
The game is just well made and fun to play.

Edit: check out the GAF thread (I'd link, but it's hard to do on a phone- just search Google for 'GAF Euro Truck Simulator 2' ) for help with controller button mappings etc, if you like.

Toddimus Prime

Neo Member

The rewarding progression of the gameplay is very strong. A great GAF thread described it as 'Elite with Big Rigs.' And the presentation is off the chart, graphically and gameplay-wise. Great sense of driving a large truck. Chilling out to some Euro radio while driving in storm is pretty zen and makes me feel all wibbley inside.

They're just a few reasons. Plus, it turns out drink driving is underrated.
Keep it in-game kids.

EDIT: I agree with efyu_lemonardo: try the demo!

spiritfox

He just put up another update today!

The Road to Alpha, Week 7 - First Signs of Gameplay Detected

The interesting thing is it's built in JavaScript. It'll have Mac, Windows and Linux versions that basically run embedded browsers but it'd be neat if he implemented DropBox support for file saving and put an online version that would let you play from anywhere as long as you own it. I can't wait to play with it myself.

Yup I saw that. Looks better than SimCity 2013 already. I wonder if being built on Java means that he can port it to mobile too. It's friendly enough for the platform, and more good iPad games would be nice.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I wish someone would develop a good war simulator. Not ARMA, not COD, not BF, but a real war simulator that has fluid controls and not one use for every key on the keyboard-type controls.

Last good war-sim type game I played was Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising. The first mission where you're deployed on the shoreline of this grassy land was amazing. The entire game itself was crap because it was riddled with bugs and shady AI, but the gunplay was some of the best I've ever seen.

Also, the premise of the game was amazing. To truly have freedom to basically go anywhere you wanted within the island and approach the mission from any angle you wanted, that was a true sim experience in my opinion and no other FPS games have done that.

To me, a true war sim should have fluid controls like Call of Duty and Battlefield, but have an open-world with planning stages and detailed intel/maps to plan attacks and missions.

We have Grand Theft Auto where we somewhat have freedom to do what we want within the sandbox of the game, but I've yet to see someone make a true military war-sim that captures that same concept of open-world freedom of where the player decides the best course of action. Now whether that player's choice ends up being the right one or not, is where the fun truly is.

I'm so sick and tired of funnel/tunnel FPS games that tell me where to go, how to do it, what buttons to press, which doors to open, which paths to take, etc. Give me a true war simulator where my choices truly dictate the outcome of the game. Make it brutally hard, but make it rewarding when there is victory.

lewisgone

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is honestly one of my favorite games in my Steam library, and definitely one of my most played. I would love to try it with oculus rift, and I wish I could afford a steering wheel for the game. It's still great as it is though. I have 44 hours clocked on the thing!

I also think Tabletop Simulator looks really cool, but it's mainly interesting because of the potential for user-created content, and of course, Dungeons and Dragons. The table flip and card physics are funny but I think it actually could be great for serious players too. I haven't played Goat Simulator, but Surgeon Simulator is one of those games that's funny once and then you never play it again. I don't seriously consider them "simulators", but I guess it makes the title funnier.

I find the funniest, real simulators are the ones that strive to be realistic to a degree, but also allow for online multiplayer. Farm Simulator 2013 is a good game in some aspects, but the game entirely changes online with friends. If you all took it seriously it would of course be nothing different, but janky vehicle physics paired with incompetence from everyone can make it pretty funny.

Goat Simulator and Surgeon Simulator are not simulators; they should be in a different genre as far as I'm concerned due to how little research went into them.
Have you ever been a goat? It's just that I have a hard time believing Goat Simulator isn't 100% realistic and accurate.

Have you ever been a goat? It's just that I have a hard time believing Goat Simulator isn't 100% realistic and accurate.

I know that's sarcasm, which is why I'm going to say that if a game isn't even going to make an attempt at being accurate towards a given subject matter, it shouldn't call itself a simulator in that field.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yup I saw that. Looks better than SimCity 2013 already. I wonder if being built on Java means that he can port it to mobile too. It's friendly enough for the platform, and more good iPad games would be nice.
It's JavaScript. It uses threedee.js and some other game libraries and is completely JavaScript. It should run on anything with a modern browser. I guess eventually he could do iOS and Android versions. But I think having a website you can log into would work just as well. Plus updates could be done instantly. A well done mobile version with cloud saving could be awesome. I'd play on my iPad.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I agree with all of the above regarding ETS2.

The main thing it does for me, personally, is invoking the feeling of driving around Europe. I spent many summers driving with friends around the UK and the continent, and this game absolutely nails that feeling. The lighting, the signs, the scenery, the various different terrains, the real streaming radio stations from all countries you drive through.

Massive nostalgic overflow for me.

Car-Mechanic-Simulator-2014.jpg

Don't forget the awesome Car Mechanic Simulator 2014!

But seriously, its an awesome game. It is probably closer to a puzzle game than an actual simulator but it is really well done. It has a realistic depiction of parts and while it is not as in depth as it could be, it does a great job of showing you how the parts work and what parts interact with each other. Definitely worth grabbing, and even better if you can get it on sale.

DocSeuss

I love me some Tropico and Banished. I feel like Tropico 4 is a more detailed simulation than any SimCity game I've played. I mean, it simulates individuals, their lives, multiple political leanings, families, everything. Banished is more focused on resources and the chain of command

My favorite simulation games, however, are Thief, System Shock 2, and STALKER. Virtual realities like that are my jam. I love existing in an ecosystem where impossible life thrives. I love dealing with it.

Sepp

Banned
y7qPbvj.png

One of my favorites. I still wish that a company would step up to the plate and bring back the more kooky and generally strange simulators. I think there's plenty of potential for something similar to it, different arthropods/insects to explore.

Ant simulator, that a great idea.

Top Bottom