• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC3:SE or Ninja Gaiden Black?

Het_Nkik

Ninja Gaiden. DMC3 gets really boring to me after a few hours. I don't know why. It's like... it's trying too hard or something.

While NG I can just play non-stop and be super happy the whole time.

DMC4's major problem is that it dropped some moves from the styles for the sake of "on-the-fly" switching.

This, and how things were nerfed because of OTF switching.

- Shotgun: JC shots got nerfed hard by not being as quickly JCable as before. Lacks "oomph".
- Gauntlets: Slower although JF charges were really nice. The Killer Bee move doesn't aim anymore (why?).
- Trickster: Slightly clunkier with a bit of delay/lag after Air Trick. No multidash. Can't bunnyhop as fast. No wall run.
- Royalguard: Clunkier, takes WAY WAY too long to charge, doesn't feel as satisfying. Removed roll JGs.
- Darkslayer: Hahaha what a joke. One spammable move and a finisher.
- General: Removed Crazy Combos, Free Ride, Wild Stomp, Roundhouse Kick, etc

Swordmaster and Gunslinger were still okay though.

Wake me up when they mod DMC3 to have OTF style switch.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It means you don't have a preference for either.

I may like steak and ice-cream equally for what each does well, but I'm not going to tell something that prefers ice-cream to steak that they're wrong.

Do you like all games of varying genres equally for the things they all do well... or do you prefer some over others, due to personal taste?
Steak and Porkchops would have made more sense to use for an example :p

AudioTechnica

Neo Member
They're both great games but where NGB is a science DMC3 is an art.

I find playing ninja gaiden to be a bit mechanical and reactionary - if they do A I'll counter with B etc.

When you get to good at DMC3, I mean really good, you can just dominate the enemies, really just humiliate them, using royal guards, trickster teleports, just frame timestops, taunts - whatever you want. The combat system allows you to use your imagination in a way that hasn't been matched yet.

Tain

I want to replay NGB on the next difficulty (still haven't done Master Ninja!) but I got a new Xbox (original Xbox) that doesn't have a scary faulty power supply. Does anybody know where I'd start re-signing saved games?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Gun to my head, I'd say Black. I would take DMC1 and DMC4 over either of these games but NG:Black and Devil May Cry 3 are really, really close for me.

RSB

Banned
Sorry, I can't choose. Love them both.

Bayonetta, DMC3SE, and NGB. The golden trifecta of action games.

UrbanRats

Unfortunately i didn't play DMC3, but if they fixed the camera in Black, it would be very close to what i'd consider a perfect game.

kick51

Banned
after all these years, all I can say is they perfectly compliment each other.

black is about surviving with speedy finesse

DMC3 SE is about surviving with combo finesse

both games are about more than just getting in a playthrough on normal and calling it done. they both push you to master the tools you're given and it's a completely different set for each game.

If I had a gun to my head, I'd go with NGB.

Fezan

I love both. but i dont think they are directly comparable.

DMC 3 has vastly superior combat but its more flashy which awards you points for getting good combos.

Black on the other hand is more tactical. Its focuses more on blocking and timming than sheer number of combo.

In the end i definitely prefer DMC3 and i died more in DMC 3 than in black. the first mini boss outside dantes home has killed me like 20 times.

EDIT: Boyonetta doesn't even comes close to these 2 games for me

Dahbomb

This, and how things were nerfed because of OTF switching.

- Shotgun: JC shots got nerfed hard by not being as quickly JCable as before. Lacks "oomph".
- Gauntlets: Slower although JF charges were really nice. The Killer Bee move doesn't aim anymore (why?).
- Trickster: Slightly clunkier with a bit of delay/lag after Air Trick. No multidash. Can't bunnyhop as fast. No wall run.
- Royalguard: Clunkier, takes WAY WAY too long to charge, doesn't feel as satisfying. Removed roll JGs.
- Darkslayer: Hahaha what a joke. One spammable move and a finisher.
- General: Removed Crazy Combos, Free Ride, Wild Stomp, Roundhouse Kick, etc

Swordmaster and Gunslinger were still okay though.

Wake me up when they mod DMC3 to have OTF style switch.

Most of the stuff listed here aren't issues, more like balance changes. Yea moves removed was a bad thing but stuff like RG charging slower is not an issue because RG was OP in DMC3. As is stuff like roll JG.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
I've only played the original versions of both games and I'd say DMC 3 by a mile.

I love both. but i dont think they are directly comparable.

DMC 3 has vastly superior combat but its more flashy which awards you points for getting good combos.

Black on the other hand is more tactical. Its focuses more on blocking and timming than sheer number of combo.

In the end i definitely prefer DMC3 and i died more in DMC 3 than in black. the first mini boss outside dantes home has killed me like 20 times.

EDIT: Boyonetta doesn't even comes close to these 2 games for me

all the above

Vitor711

You people are CRAZY.

Ninja Gaiden is so much more fluid and has superior level design in every way. It's almost a mature Zelda in terms of interlocking world building.

That and the better bosses absolutely push it over DMC3 to be the best action game of all time.

Mman235

Ninja Gaiden Black. I much prefer the level design style; it has a few shitty parts but I regard a lot of the level design in DMC3 as pretty flawed (outside the first game I don't think DMC has ever really found the right level design balance between gimmicks, exploration and straight combat) and the interconnected nature and adventure elements are better. I also prefer the combat, which both has more enemy variety and is always fast and deadly; on DMD DMC3 becomes more about not making mistakes against damage sponges, whereas even on Master Ninja NGB's combat is lightning fast and full of pressure without losing variety outside of a few rare enemies.

DMC3 is a masterpiece too (because I seemed to have kind of shit on it above) but I always preferred NG.

You people are CRAZY.

Ninja Gaiden is so much more fluid and has superior level design in every way. It's almost a mature Zelda in terms of interlocking world building.

That and the better bosses absolutely push it over DMC3 to be the best action game of all time.

what's so hard to understand? it's all about preferences. dmc was ALWAYS about the combat for me, not level design. i've always preferred the 100% offensive in dmc to the more defensive style in ng, but that doesn't mean I don't like ng. like another poster stated, they complement each other perfectly.

also dmc3 has some of funniest, craziest cutscenes ever in a video game :D

Foffy

Banned
Ninja Gaiden Black is perhaps the pinnacle of 3D action games. Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition is the pinnacle of the Devil May Cry series.

What a shame to see where those franchises are now, based on their most recent entries...

jet1911

Black, never liked the setting and style of DMC so I was never really into the series.

Microsoft and /or Tecmo should release that game on Steam.

You know, this was a thread way back and it was full of drama if I recall correctly. Personally, I prefer NGB! It is pretty much the greatest action game of all time. It's a shame that Itagaki had to bail out.

Top Bottom