• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto UNS Revolution to 'attract hardcore fighting game audience'

ASW is nice, but they're not the only game in town.

As good as Melty Blood and Arcana Heart are (but sadly, will never reach a wide audience in the West)? My only wish is that French Bread and Examu would get the rights to make licensed fighting games that would appeal/market better to a worldwide audience.

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax has SAO characters in it Kappa

ALM5252

So why did they stop making the Clash of Ninja series? When the Wii U was announced I was excited at the possibility of playing an HD version.

I'm not a fan of Naruto, but me and my friends really enjoyed the CoN series. Great fighting game. :)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Honestly, it's not even the one-button comboness of the game. It's the fact that the game is so fundamentally broken and that there is no sense of balance in the game is what throws it off. I played against a guy who was really good and literally got infinite combo'd by Hidan just by attacking as I was getting up from a knockdown and I couldn't do shit. That's ridiculous. They are great fan-service games, but the entire gameplay has to change to even remotely approach the core FGC base.

I am a little bummed that the current war wont be covered in this game. I can understand why since it seems like its going to end soon in the manga. Regardless, I am still excited for another Naruto game. I hope this one comes to PC too.

So why did they stop making the Clash of Ninja series? When the Wii U was announced I was excited at the possibility of playing an HD version.

I'm not a fan of Naruto, but me and my friends really enjoyed the CoN series. Great fighting game. :)

I was hoping that we would get a new entry in the CoN series from when the 3DS released. Unfortunately we only got that crappy 3D side-scroller and the spin-off game. Regardless, the series sales had definitely declined by the time Revolution came around and Takara TOMY seemed to have trouble keeping up with all the new characters. GNT Special only sold 60k in Japan (though it was an upgraded EX3) and only had Minato and Ay as new characters when Storm 2 released weeks before it with far more character (GNT was missing the Hebi team except for Sasuke as well as Pain and Konan). There is also the fact that several of the characters still had combos nearly identical to their first versions on Gamecube.

As much as I complain about the balancing issues (broken combos, etc.) of the Storm series, the fan service is always there and I don't have to worry about missing characters.

The Storm series will never be a competitive fighting game, but it does what it needs to and I welcome any gameplay changes they make to improve the combat. Revolution looks pretty great so far.

I am a little bummed that the current war wont be covered in this game. I can understand why since it seems like its going to end soon in the manga. Regardless, I am still excited for another Naruto game. I hope this one comes to PC too.

Revolution is probably going to be most like Generations. We heard before that it was going to "advance the Naruto storyline" but nothing else since. It's coming to PC day one.

Pics_nao

Instead of just mashing circle with a tilt, now you can mash circle and add an x at the end of it for a totally new combo!

Yeah I'm not buying these lies. Just bring back the OG Ultimate Ninja games please. Or at least Storm 1 mechanics. Storm 1 was awesome.

Village

yeah yeah pacing issues and all that, but as a game? Who cares?
=.

A lot of people apparently they are making video game and its merchandise does well. One must remember popularity does not begin and end with gaf. And popular things do well outside of your weelhouse.

KHlover

Banned
GNT were alright fighting games but sucked as Naruto games.
Ninja Storm are great Naruto games but suck as fighting games.

Hopefully someone finds a balance soon.

Gbraga

A lot of people apparently they are making video game and its merchandise does well. One must remember popularity does not begin and end with gaf. And popular things do well outside of your weelhouse.

I think you got me wrong, my point is: An Attack on Titan game made by a competent team with a background on good combat systems would be awesome, the issues the manga has are irrelevant for that. They can make it a spin-off with completely new characters and it would still be amazing, the main thing to make this game interesting is the 3D Gear and fighting titans, not the story they're telling in the manga.

Personally I love the anime, the manga got eeeeeh around chapter 40 imo and I didn't even read the last 2 or 3 chapters, but it's still way better than a lot of people seem to think it is on GAF.

Village

I think you got me wrong, my point is: An Attack on Titan game made by a competent team with a background on good combat systems would be awesome, the issues the manga has are irrelevant for that. They can make it a spin-off with completely new characters and it would still be amazing, the main thing to make this game interesting is the 3D Gear and fighting titans, not the story they're telling in the manga.

Personally I love the anime, the manga got eeeeeh around chapter 40 imo and I didn't even read the last 2 or 3 chapters, but it's still way better than a lot of people seem to think it is on GAF.

Well then I am sorry.

Regarding what you are suggesting though, they probably wouldn't even do a spin off thing, people probably are supper attached to those characters and to do some spin off might turn a lot of people off. The idea is interesting, I don't think this is the universe for that to be a thing.

Gbraga

Well then I am sorry.

Regarding what you are suggesting though, they probably wouldn't even do a spin off thing, people probably are supper attached to those characters and to do some spin off might turn a lot of people off. The idea is interesting, I don't think this is the universe for that to be a thing.

Definitely, I can't see them making a spin-off at all. Unless it's an MMO or something, which would probably mean the combat won't be what I'd hope.

fatalexe

The old 2.5D PS2 games (SF4 style) were alot better. Fluid framerate and awesome cutscene ultimate attacks. IN my place we would have tournaments every week. I still remember the shop owner had to replace the disc a few times because literally the whole day was packed with people.

I think it was called Ultimate Ninja 5 in the west. Over here at Asia it was called Shippuden Narutimate Accel 2. Once they changed into a fully 3D fighter it was really bad.

Village

Definitely, I can't see them making a spin-off at all. Unless it's an MMO or something, which would probably mean the combat won't be what I'd hope.

I dunno them korean mmo's be on point with the combat.

They could make it some type of arena fighter thing, but you fight titans and possible pvp.

They could even set it in an entirely different time period, maybe the future with more futurey stuff with titans. Or Giant monsters or

OH my god I just thought of "vs Japanese monster game",.

AZUMIKE

The old 2.5D PS2 games (SF4 style) were alot better. Fluid framerate and awesome cutscene ultimate attacks. IN my place we would have tournaments every week. I still remember the shop owner had to replace the disc a few times because literally the whole day was packed with people.

I think it was called Ultimate Ninja 5 in the west. Over here at Asia it was called Shippuden Narutimate Accel 2. Once they changed into a fully 3D fighter it was really bad.

Really liked that game as well. Ups to CC2 for trying to upgrade the 3D series. Generations was a start, Storm 3 added a few things, and I hope Revolution takes the gameplay to another level.

Ultimadrago

I certainly don't believe this, but I can't say I really care anymore at this point. CC2 will CC2, etc. and I will keep buying the games because pretty Special attacks.

Rhapsody

Banned
If it had the depth of Gundam, I'd give it a try. As of right now, they're just pretty games that I get tired of faster than I would like.

Shouta

CC2 Naruto games are pretty good but lack balance and the environmental interaction to make it a competitively good game. It can be done but requires some discipline in design decisions. It isn't too far off being as good as gundam.

Storm is infinitely better than Jojo though. That has a shit system from the get go and only got patched to make it tolerable.

Mesoian

What the fuck, this game is single player, how is it going to attract the FGC?

Is the NA version coming out next week rebalanced or not?

It is the patched version. Now, how balanced that patched version is is a different story.

Edit: Wait wait wait, hold up. So this game ISN'T single player only now? Because when they made the 4 person combat announcement, they said that this game didn't have multiplayer anymore. That's changed?

Oh I'M GETTIN' ALL RILED UP AGAIN. CC2 you make me so mad.

KHlover

Banned
What the fuck, this game is single player, how is it going to attract the FGC?

It is the patched version. Now, how balanced that patched version is is a different story.

Edit: Wait wait wait, hold up. So this game ISN'T single player only now? Because when they made the 4 person combat announcement, they said that this game didn't have multiplayer anymore. That's changed?

Oh I'M GETTIN' ALL RILED UP AGAIN. CC2 you make me so mad.
Joke post? Like all console Naruto games before it this game has a VS mode (offline and online)

Mesoian

Joke post? Like all console Naruto games before it this game has a VS mode (offline and online)

No, for real, when they announced the new 4 player arena stuff, they said that the game was single player. The running joke was that CC2 got tired of trying to balance the mess that is the Storm series, so they just stopped trying.

Fuck.

FUCK.

Ugh they're gonna make me buy this again, god damn it. NUS3 was so fucking bad (multiplayer wise).

Ultimate Ninja 3 and 4 were some of the greatest fighting games on the PS2, and then storm came and fucked it all up...

God damn it.

fuck-this-and-this.gif

Fuck. Now i'm interested again. Got me listening to Matsuyama's lies again. Fuck.

God damnit. Day 8, PC.

"Of course we have refined the battle system over the years. But for Revolution, we have totally changed the battle system," Matsuyama said. "In order to create such a new battle system, we asked for support from other development company staff who are fighting game experts, like Street Fighter or King of Fighters."

YOU ALREADY EMPLOYED PEOPLE THAT KNEW HOW TO DO THIS!!!! GOD...

I can't. I can't...I can't.

Shouta

I was on my phone when I typed my last post so I couldn't be a bit more detailed but generally, I think the Storm series is close to being a good competitive game, pretty much the closest outside of the big, core games that most people think of. It definitely needs some design changes via system adjustments on top of general balancing. The base is good though.

In particular, adjusting the game so that the focus is evenly split between ranged and melee combat for most characters. Currently, I think ranged combat is pretty lacking and it's mostly melee combat that the game focuses on. It makes sense considering its Naruto but from a competitive perspective, an arena game like this can't just be melee. It becomes too much a brawler and adding in-depth systems for combos and the lack would be difficult. You can't replicate the combo system of something like Street Fighter because the game perspective and pace wouldn't allow for it.

A bit of environmental interaction is important as well. Gundam uses varying stages and obstacles and even Smash Bros has differing layouts. Fighting mostly on flat stages buts a big burden on the combat system itself to have more options and such even if it isn't possible. The stages being a part of the gameplay would help expand the game's tactics and allow a bit more strategy to come about. No reason not to do it either considering the game is full 3D.

Bigger focus on mobility and movement. Storm has felt very linear to me mostly because fast movement is limited to long one-directional lines and a little bit of movement in a sphere around the character. I think it's in large part due to the chakra dashing doing only that single direction movement. More reason to use circular movement, diagonals and etc would help greatly. This would aid in "line creation" (as the JP Gundam fans call it) or what could call attack vectors. Reading your opponents and choosing the right direction to move to combat your opponent is a big element to arena style games and mobility is a huge part of making that possible.

There are probably a bunch of other things as well but I don't have the time to go through it individually, lol. Stuff like character balance would take forever.

Famassu

I have no faith in CC2 delivering a fighting system on level with GNT4, let alone SF or KoF.
Uhh.. If they have the help & support & expertice of SF & KOF veteran devs on their side, why wouldn't they be able to offer combat that is at least significantly deeper than their previous Naruto games, if not perhaps quite on the level of KOF itself?

Mesoian

Uhh.. If they have the help & support & expertice of SF & KOF veteran devs on their side, why wouldn't they be able to offer combat that is at least significantly deeper than their previous Naruto games, if not perhaps quite on the level of KOF itself?

Because it's cc2. On paper they should be, but this is the company that refused to patch out chakra exploits in Storm 1 and 2, "just because". They are notorious for leaving their games on the shelves to die after they're released, and Jojo probably only got patched because it's problems were SO obvious and terrible.

They talk a big game, but they have said "don't worry guys, it'll be better next time" with each iteration of the storm series and they all have horribly broken aspects to them. I mean chirst, if Naruto is the main character, why the fuck didn't find the rasengan loops? I can understand one of your original characters having issues but dear god, he's the main character and there are super simple infinites? And you didn't patch it out?

It doesn't help that, because this series isn't really respected by fighting game players on a whole, the feedback they get online is "LOL Chakra Dashing out of a combo isn't a problem, I use that all the time wwwww". Or the fact that still, 10 years later, Dynamic Entry STILL breaks the game wide open.

I have no hope for this being even decent. Maytsuyama is more concerned with cosplaying than he is balancing his damn games.

Is this the first Naruto UNS on PC?

For those that are wondering, here is a recent footage of Naruto UNS Revolution;

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution - Gameplay Trailer #3

It is quite fresh trailer posted two weeks ago.

From what I can see it has all the qualities to be a competitive fighter.

No, storm 3 is on PC.

What's the best Naruto Fighting game I could go buy right now?

I have every console.

PS2 - Ultimate Ninja 3 and 4 (CC2 should just do HD remakes of these, put in ggpo online play and call it a day. Shit call up Dave Lang, he'll do it).

GCN - Clash of Ninja 4

360 - Naruto: Broken Bond (Really interesting fighter but it falls into the same traps that the early ultimate ninja games did where they placed too much importance on mid-match minigames).

If you are interested in story:

PS3: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. CC2 knows how to do single player SUPER well and the direction they take some of the more important fights int he series really is something to behold. But the multiplayer is SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER fucking broken. Sage Naruto + Sasori + Hidan is, literally, unstoppable. Once again, assists completely fuck the gameplay over, something they should have learned at Ultimate Ninja 2.

Mesoian

I own this game both on PS3 and PC. Must say PC is the way to go. Looks and runs much better and I play with a 360 pad on my pc and its perfect.

I mean, Storm running at 1920x1080 with 8xAA is a thing to behold. CC2 games, if anything, are absolutely beautiful and it has never looked better than it does on PC.

AZUMIKE

Because it's cc2. On paper they should be, but this is the company that refused to patch out chakra exploits in Storm 1 and 2, "just because". They are notorious for leaving their games on the shelves to die after they're released, and Jojo probably only got patched because it's problems were SO obvious and terrible.

To be fair though, CC2 patched STORM 3 a few times.

But the multiplayer is SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER fucking broken. Sage Naruto + Sasori + Hidan is, literally, unstoppable. Once again, assists completely fuck the gameplay over, something they should have learned at Ultimate Ninja 2

Yeah, I don't really know the extent to which the supports are a problem, but it's quite possible to fix. Some teams its possible to handle, some are quite difficult. Also depends on the team you're using. Its like hit or miss lol. As far as Revolution goes, we'll see...:D

What have they added so far? I know you can choose 'types' which are as follows: ultimate jutsu, awakening and support and from what I understand the ultimate jutsu type allows you to use team ultimates, the awakening one gives you access to two awakenings and the support features increased use from the assist characters.

Aside from this I think it's only guard-break and counterattack.

GooeyHeat

http://andriasang.com/con1yr/jojo_interview/

gotta make sacrifices for the visual expression
I love how they say "it's a JoJo game, not a fighting game" and when the patching is said an done it's a much better fighting game than any of the Storm games.

I really feel like some people need to step onto the patched version. The US demo is out, and has 3 playable characters in different styles, so if you have a PS3 you might as well give it a shot, although the CPU probably loses to basic combos anyway.

Mesoian

dont get why they cut down on specials and ninjitsus since the ps2 games.

With the way storm works, I get why they cut down on them. It would be cool to have more super cool ougis, but considering they all take place in the arena now, they don't have the same flash. And there's nothing nearly as cool as the first's doom tree ougi from UN3. Though you were totally free if you got hit by it.

Yeah, I don't really know the extent to which the supports are a problem, but it's quite possible to fix. Some teams its possible to handle, some are quite difficult. Also depends on the team you're using. Its like hit or miss lol. As far as Revolution goes, we'll see...:D

It's totally possible to fix. I'm saying that CC2, as it stands now, doesn't have the talent to do it, so they just won't. None of the patches in NUNS3 were important enough to actually change the large over drawn problems the game has. I'm pretty sure the KnJ meter was added solely due to the fact that they don't know how to fix their engine so all jutsus aren't free on block.

Play testing, play testing, play testing. That's what the game needs, 3 times the amount of play testing than they normally get and considering this game is nearly done, I don't see that happening.

I love how they say "it's a JoJo game, not a fighting game" and when the patching is said an done it's a much better fighting game than any of the Storm games.

FUCK THESE PEOPLE UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! THAT IS LITERALLY A LAZY RESPONSE! I don't like calling developers lazy because it's disingenuous but you can't say "the combat in this game is garbage because it's source material has a bunch of super powered people who destroy everyone, SO FUCK IT!" Christ!

So stupid.

I really feel like some people need to step onto the patched version. The US demo is out, and has 3 playable characters in different styles, so if you have a PS3 you might as well give it a shot, although the CPU probably loses to basic combos anyway.

I'll admit, I haven't kept up on it after the game's initial release. When I saw infinites that were even stupider than Cross Tekken's, I was out for good.

Famassu

Because it's cc2.
I'd say CC2 is a decent dev, all-in-all, even if they have some broken elements in Naruto games. The games are mostly still decently enjoyable & at least somewhat well done overall. If Double Helix can make something like Killer Instinct, even though they rival Sparks in shittiness, when they get help from experienced devs, I'd wager a guess CC2 could do something better if they really do get some fighting game experts deeply involved with the development. That said, if they've tried to claim something similar in the past, then of course that takes some of these statements' believability away.

Mesoian

I'd say CC2 is a decent dev, all-in-all, even if they have some broken elements in Naruto games. The games are mostly still decently enjoyable & at least somewhat well done overall. If Double Helix can make something like Killer Instinct, even though they rival Sparks in shittiness, when they get help from experienced devs, I'd wager a guess CC2 could do something better if they really do get some fighting game experts deeply involved with the development. That said, if they've tried to claim something similar in the past, then of course that takes some of these statements' believability away.

Don't believe his lies.

Top Bottom