• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa (Metal Max, Demon Gaze) purchases From Software

So apparently Kadokawa has acquired From Software from Transcosmos (parent company? Not sure). Looking into synergy with Kadokawa Games (ick).

http://gamebiz.jp/?p=129706

Still making sense of this. Sorry for the sparse deets.

For clarification, Kadokawa was behind Demon Gaze, Killer is Dead, and a large variety of shitty games based on anime series. They're also behind the money making giant that is KanColle.

In before Armored KanColleCore.

Edit:

Press release (JP): http://ir.kadokawa.co.jp/topics/20140428fms_fi.pdf

May16

tDXwZIY.gif

Takao

Banned
Before anyone asks, this probably won't have any ramifications on Dark Souls. The games are self-published by From in Japan, with Bandai taking western duties. Kadokawa doesn't do western game publishing, so Bandai will likely continue on.

Squire

Banned
RIP in peace Dark Souls.

As we currently know it, that is. Namco am cry.

Edit:

Before anyone asks, this probably won't have any ramifications on Dark Souls. The games are self-published by From in Japan, with Bandai taking western duties. Kadokawa doesn't do western game publishing, so Bandai will likely continue on.

Nvm then. Also, wow! Impressive.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
For how much ?

Because most of their titles have been jp low-key bombas - with games like Dark Souls that tune might change.

MormaPope

Banned

NO, WE NEED TO PANIC BECAUSE SOMETHING CHANGED.

May16

I'm sure you put the tiniest bit of effort to do some research about Kadokawa before panicking, right?

I'm sure you've played Natural Doctrine by Kadokawa games like I have, right?

(But see, here's the thing: Maybe you have! But as you can see, making assumptions about each other based on nothing isn't fun.)

At the end of the day, I have an opinion. It's different than yours. And that's OK. Neither of us is wrong.

Edit:
So they're going to develop games for From Soft now?
See, you're doing this childish thing were instead of making a conversation, you just keep asking more of your own loaded questions, which you're asking based on false assumptions. That's the kind of posting I don't get into, sorry. I did that once in this thread but that's all you'll get.

I'm not a Kadokawa fan, and I posted a gif indicating as much. I'm not gonna mess around and keep playing games with you here. Cheers.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This is huge.

And yeah, Kadokawa is super big, so the part about them buying another company isn't surprising at all.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
That's unexpected. They've been around for so long and really seemed to be coming into their own the past 5 years or so in the west. I guess I never really thought about where the money was coming from.

I'm more surprised by how this seemingly came out of nowhere.

It's not so shocking that they went big on the purchase though. Kadokawa has their hands in pretty much all forms of media here, but their gaming presence has always been a bit lacking.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Aren't they a manga publisher or am I mistaken?

Furthermore, doesn't Bandai Namco have some sort of Equity in From Software?

Is that the company which published Suda 51 games? I also recall hearing that name in relation to Lunar series, but not sure what kind of involvement they had; but hey, those are not bad games, so I don't see any particular reason to worry.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To me the disappointing part of this is that Kadokawa spends very little money on their games, and have a poor track record with identifying and supporting quality.

Unless they intend to change their behavior, I'd have rather a larger publisher bought them.

Top Bottom