• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

EatChildren
Chico is Quiet
(04-28-2014, 01:33 PM)
EatChildren's Avatar
Wanted to make a thread for this as I think a lot of people would miss it, buried in the UE4 thread.

You might remember Epic's fancy "Elemental" demo for Unreal Engine 4, as shown here. You also might remember the PlayStation 4 build of the demo, seen here, stripped of global illumination (boo!). Well, now that Unreal Engine 4 is available for license holders to play with, the latter demo is too accessible for engine tinkerers to demo.

And for the rest of us, folk have compiled the "Elemental" demo into a standalone package for everybody to crunch on their PC hardware.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rb.../Elemental.rar
Note: This isn't an official benchmark release by Epic. This is the Elemental demo included with the UE4 engine package, compiled by users. Ergo, optimisation issues may exist.

How to run: Extract the folder to wherever you desire. Browse to WindowsNoEditor/Elemental/Binaries. Select your operating system folder: Win32 or Win64. Then simply run Elemental.exe
Note: There are no menus to tweak settings. To change resolution, turn off/on vsync, and other stuff, browse to WindowsNoEditor/Elemental/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor. Open up GameUserSettings.ini and tweak bUseVSync=False, ResolutionSizeX=1920, and ResolutionSizeY=1080 to whatever settings you desire. The latter two being your horizontal/vertical resolution, the former vsync.

My results (using FRAPS)
CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 770 4GB (factory OC'd)

Min fps: 25
Max fps: 61
Avrg fps: 47.1

If you want to play with more UE4 demos, here.
Cave/effects: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5qG...pUa2F6aEU/edit
Realistic rendering: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4e...c_Rendering.7z
Tsundere
Banned
(04-28-2014, 01:33 PM)
Awesome! Gonna give this a run when I get home from work. :D
sweetfish
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:02 PM)
sweetfish's Avatar
Pretty cool!

Here are the runtime DLLs if anyone else is missing MSVCRT120.dll etc: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=40784
Amey
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:07 PM)
Amey's Avatar
Can we look around in it or camera's tied to fixed path?
nbnt
is responsible for the well-being of this island.
(04-28-2014, 02:12 PM)
nbnt's Avatar
Trojan X
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:15 PM)
Trojan X's Avatar
I've been waiting for this. Time to test my PC.
CyclopsRock
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:17 PM)
CyclopsRock's Avatar
I'll try it on my work PC when it's downloads - I have a dual 6-core Xeon workstation with a GTX780 (which puts my home PC to shame :( )
teokrazia
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:17 PM)
teokrazia's Avatar
Awesome, thanks!
Freedom = $1.05
Akimbo Dogs
(04-28-2014, 02:17 PM)
Freedom = $1.05's Avatar

Originally Posted by Amey

Can we look around in it or camera's tied to fixed path?

General, benchmarks offer no interactivity as allowing for variables makes the actual benchmarking useless, seeing as the final figures will not be comparable due to user changes during benchmarking. You'd want everyone's experience to be equal for the results to have any meaning.

That said, since this isn't technically a benchmark it might be possible.
Trojan X
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:18 PM)
Trojan X's Avatar

Originally Posted by CyclopsRock

I'll try it on my work PC when it's downloads - I have a dual 6-core Xeon workstation with a GTX780 (which puts my home PC to shame :( )

Blud, how much does a DUAL 6-core Xeon cost these days? I'd love to have that for my 3D rendering.
Objectively Bad Opinion
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:19 PM)
Objectively Bad Opinion's Avatar
runs so bad on my AMD card I won't be posting a result

looks not-impressive too
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(04-28-2014, 02:19 PM)
thetrin's Avatar
Is Elements the same demo they've been running on Oculus units at several events? I got to try the UE4 Oculus demo at the Osaka event some weeks back, and was really impressed.
Platinum_D
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:20 PM)
Platinum_D's Avatar
Cool and thanks for the link !! i will be doing my test
hwalker84
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:20 PM)
hwalker84's Avatar
Not even going to attempt on my work computer. Tagged for when I get home.
Newboi
Junior Member
(04-28-2014, 02:20 PM)
Newboi's Avatar
I wish UE4 worked using SLI. I tried forcing Alternate Frame Rendering 2 in the Nvidia Control panel and the Demo wigged out when I tried to run it. It ran really slow with no sound lol.

Anyways, I was wondering how you guys got frame rate numbers since their was no benchmarking functionality or FPS counter in the Elemental demo.

Even though it was only using 1 GTX 670, the demo ran fairly well at 3800x1800 downsampled to 1920x1080. That's just from eyeballing it though. Don't have an exact frame counter, but it didn't appear to drop below 30fps until around the ice monster portion.
EatChildren
Chico is Quiet
(04-28-2014, 02:20 PM)
EatChildren's Avatar

Originally Posted by Amey

Can we look around in it or camera's tied to fixed path?

In the cave/effects and realistic rendering demos you control the camera/player. The elemental demo it's a scripted sequence.

Originally Posted by nbnt

Just took these, one from each demo.



plagiarize
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:21 PM)
plagiarize's Avatar
can we turn VR rendering on with the console for these?
thetrin
Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(04-28-2014, 02:22 PM)
thetrin's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

In the cave/effects and realistic rendering demos you control the camera/player. The elemental demo it's a scripted sequence.



Just took these, one from each demo.



Ah yeah, the first screen is from the Oculus demo I tried. Was really cool.
Ryoohki360
Junior Member
(04-28-2014, 02:22 PM)
Btw the Element Demo is capped at 62FPS... so..
Dr Dogg
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:22 PM)
Dr Dogg's Avatar
Ohhh nice, I'll have a play about when I get home. Might not be best to nuke one of the bootcamp Macs here trying this.
GameAddict411
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:24 PM)
GameAddict411's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

In the cave/effects and realistic rendering demos you control the camera/player. The elemental demo it's a scripted sequence.



Just took these, one from each demo.



is the complex GI in the original demo available to run in this one?
Ryoohki360
Junior Member
(04-28-2014, 02:29 PM)
Elemental

1440P

I7 3770 (no oc), 780 OC

Min : 22, Max 58, AVG : 42.31
Ryoohki360
Junior Member
(04-28-2014, 02:30 PM)

Originally Posted by GameAddict411

is the complex GI in the original demo available to run in this one?

It will be in 4.2 engine update. Actually the older GI is too old, the one in 4.2 is new newer code
KOCMOHABT
Junior Member
(04-28-2014, 02:32 PM)
KOCMOHABT's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryoohki360

It will be in 4.2 engine update. Actually the older GI is too old, the one in 4.2 is new newer code

They are bringing SVOGI back?
ricochetguro
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:33 PM)
ricochetguro's Avatar
Demon dude has some grody textures but that was pretty crazy. Few moments where I almost couldn't believe it was a engine that my graphics card was powering. Looking forward to seeing some big games made using UE4 Daylight doesn't count :P
Nzyme32
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:35 PM)
Nzyme32's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryoohki360

Btw the Element Demo is capped at 62FPS... so..

Can anyone else confirm?
KKRT00
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:37 PM)
KKRT00's Avatar

Originally Posted by KOCMOHABT

They are bringing SVOGI back?

They dont. He is talking about LPV based GI from Lionhead Studio.
dmr87
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:37 PM)
dmr87's Avatar
Thanks, will check out after work.
Ryoohki360
Junior Member
(04-28-2014, 02:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Nzyme32

Can anyone else confirm?

Well if i run the demo at 1080p, MAX FPS is 62.. it's impossible. Since i get MAX 58 in 1440p. I should get around 90 FPS MAX. I can confirm with the CAVE demo witch run 80% faster at 1080p than 1440p (witch is almost 2x more pixel rate so it's logical)
DieH@rd
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:42 PM)
DieH@rd's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryoohki360

Well if i run the demo at 1080p, MAX FPS is 62.. it's impossible. Since i get MAX 58 in 1440p. I should get around 90 FPS MAX. I can confirm with the CAVE demo witch run 80% faster at 1080p than 1440p (witch is almost 2x more pixel rate so it's logical)

Possible CPU bottlenecking.

BTW, CymaticBruce was veeery impressed with the Oculus Rift implementation in the Cave demo.
teokrazia
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:43 PM)
teokrazia's Avatar
My results (using FRAPS)
CPU: i5 2500K@4.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: GTX 670 Windforce 3x

Res: 1080p
Min fps: 21
Max fps: 56
Avrg fps: 39

Edit: forgot the res
Last edited by teokrazia; 04-28-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Brerlappin
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:43 PM)
Brerlappin's Avatar
Oh awesome, my old ass quad core gonna cry over this :lol

Still, i love tech demos, and ill have a new PC built in a few weeks, so looking forward to trying it out
Prophet Steve
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:45 PM)
Prophet Steve's Avatar
There also should be coming a version of the demo with the Lionhead GI solution when that arrives in the next update.
DieH@rd
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:47 PM)
DieH@rd's Avatar
EatChildren, can you dig up instalation for Roman temple UE4 tech demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQy1ryw6kcg&hd=1
bumpkin
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:47 PM)
bumpkin's Avatar
I get a system error every time I try to run it... "The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer." :(
Last edited by bumpkin; 04-28-2014 at 02:50 PM.
CyanideFuse
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:48 PM)
CyanideFuse's Avatar

Originally Posted by bumpkin

I get a system error every time I try to run it... "The program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer." :(

Try this:

Originally Posted by sweetfish

Pretty cool!

Here are the runtime DLLs if anyone else is missing MSVCRT120.dll etc: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=40784

bumpkin
Member
(04-28-2014, 02:51 PM)
bumpkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by CyanideFuse

Try this:

Thanks for the info/link.

Yeah, it barely runs. I'll see something for a sec., then it goes black, then something else, then black again. lol.
kinggroin
Banned
(04-28-2014, 02:53 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar
Can't wait to get home and try this.


Then cry that no videogame will look this good for a long time.
lefantome
Banned
(04-28-2014, 02:55 PM)

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

EatChildren, can you dig up instalation for Roman temple UE4 tech demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQy1ryw6kcg&hd=1

that' the mobile version, it runs on high end mobile devices and withou any problem on old pcs
Arcipello
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:00 PM)
Arcipello's Avatar
looks really nice... would love to try a free cam demo of that abandoned subway entrance scene, had some very nice lighting and effects.
Decarb
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:02 PM)
Decarb's Avatar
CPU: i5 4570 @ 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 760
RES: 1920x1080

Min fps: 20
Max fps: 54
Avrg fps: 39

The min framerate was actually above 30 until the ice mountain broke at the very end.
Phil0sophy
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:03 PM)
Phil0sophy's Avatar

Originally Posted by EatChildren

Wanted to make a thread for this as I think a lot of people would miss it, buried in the UE4 thread.

You might remember Epic's fancy "Elemental" demo for Unreal Engine 4, as shown here. You also might remember the PlayStation 4 build of the demo, seen here, stripped of global illumination (boo!). Well, now that Unreal Engine 4 is available for license holders to play with, the latter demo is too accessible for engine tinkerers to demo.

And for the rest of us, folk have compiled the "Elemental" demo into a standalone package for everybody to crunch on their PC hardware.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rb.../Elemental.rar
Note: This isn't an official benchmark release by Epic. This is the Elemental demo included with the UE4 engine package, compiled by users. Ergo, optimisation issues may exist.

How to run: Extract the folder to wherever you desire. Browse to WindowsNoEditor/Elemental/Binaries. Select your operating system folder: Win32 or Win64. Then simply run Elemental.exe
Note: There are no menus to tweak settings. To change resolution, turn off/on vsync, and other stuff, browse to WindowsNoEditor/Elemental/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor. Open up GameUserSettings.ini and tweak bUseVSync=False, ResolutionSizeX=1920, and ResolutionSizeY=1080 to whatever settings you desire. The latter two being your horizontal/vertical resolution, the former vsync.

My results (using FRAPS)
CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 770 4GB (factory OC'd)

Min fps: 25
Max fps: 61
Avrg fps: 47.1

If you want to play with more UE4 demos, here.
Cave/effects: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5qG...pUa2F6aEU/edit
Realistic rendering: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4e...c_Rendering.7z



No idea how you have got a better min, max, avg than my PC lol...but here are my benchmark results...

My results (using FRAPS)
CPU: i7 3970x @ 4.6GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 690 4GB (OC'd)

Min fps: 23
Max fps: 63
Avrg fps: 45.3
Prophet Steve
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:03 PM)
Prophet Steve's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

EatChildren, can you dig up instalation for Roman temple UE4 tech demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQy1ryw6kcg&hd=1

Here, I think you mean this one, I uploaded it myself, it is safe:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ab...mple_Mobile.7z

Also a few other ones that haven't been posted yet:

The multiplayer demo that was released at the beginning:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/92...3ja/MP_Demo.7z

The realistic rendering showcase that shows a living room. You can walk around in that one.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4e...c_Rendering.7z

Originally Posted by Arcipello

looks really nice... would love to try a free cam demo of that abandoned subway entrance scene, had some very nice lighting and effects.

EDIT: I made one, but I think I turned off it being a development build, and so I think console commands to run it on a higher resolution/full screen are not available. Packaging and uploading takes too long for me to iterate on that.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uo...ixed_Camera.7z
trudderham
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:04 PM)
trudderham's Avatar
If anyone wants to try this on an Oculus Rift you can find the details for both demos (one that runs with a fixed camera & one with free roaming) here:

http://www.theriftarcade.com/check-o...e-oculus-rift/
ThoseDeafMutes
Very good! Keep thrusting!
(04-28-2014, 03:08 PM)
ThoseDeafMutes's Avatar
Min 45
Max 57
Avg 52

Haswell i5 4670
GTX 780


(I recorded 120 seconds of footage, framerate probably went lower than that at some point but I didn't know how to set it up to continuously bench)
Redmoon
Junior Member
(04-28-2014, 03:12 PM)
Redmoon's Avatar
Wished sli worked for this so I can do higher res with better fps'.

Tried Elemental. Managed to remove the 62 fps limit, but there seems to be a bottleneck elsewhere as half the time my fps stays at/below 70 with the cpu cores/gpu nowhere near 100%.

Min fps ~50
max fps ~95
@720p
GTX 680
3930k

Also got to walk around at the end somehow :)


Will try out the others
smuf
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:13 PM)
smuf's Avatar
i5-3570k - GTX 660

Tried it at 1080p. Runs better than I expected, not great by any means of course.
I guess it would be fine capped at 30 fps with some of the settings toned down.
teokrazia
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:19 PM)
teokrazia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Redmoon

Also got to walk around at the end somehow :)

Me too.
I don't know how.
The demo was stuck with the logo, I was killing it through Task Manager while I noticed that it returned 'in-game' and I was able to free look around me.
Aramiyo
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:22 PM)
Aramiyo's Avatar
Elemental demo.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~4.4GHz
8192MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 SC Edition

Run at 1080p.

Avg: 42.749 - Min: 22 - Max: 61 (Recorded with FRAPS)

Gonna test out some of the others, see exactly what is giving my setup a hard time.
Reese-015
Member
(04-28-2014, 03:31 PM)
Man, talk about diminishing returns... I mean, I'm a total graphics whore and I'm really geeky when it comes to this kinda stuff, love reading up about it and always used to follow the demo scene etc... But even though I do see and understand that there's so much new and advanced tech in these demos, it just doesn't end up impressing much more than say Battlefield 4 or even 'standard' UE3 games that don't do anything super crazy like Hawken.

We've really entered an era where it's so much more about art than before, similar to how the first Toy Story movie was a technical marvel but by the time we were at Finding Nemo, technical advancements had become so much more unnoticeable compared to artistic distinction.

Either way still cool shit and I still love this kind of stuff, especially when it comes to advances in lighting, global illumination and new AA methods being applied and such.

Thread Tools