• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
It's a new day, brah.

download_20140429_13j8ly4.jpeg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Who cares about OT4 when you're on Android GAF Hangouts?

The Wall of Shame is great because I'm on there but exactly after the addict point.

Google is continuing to take control of Android. Anyone who believes their "open" bullshit is a sucker. You deserve what you get.

-PXG-

As long as companies don't make it nearly impossible for me to root my shit, don't deny access the bootloader and don't totally undermine the founding principles and spirit of an open source platform, then I'll be happy. It's not like they're doing that now...Oh...wait...

Talon

As long as companies don't make it nearly impossible for me to root my shit, don't deny access the bootloader and don't totally undermine the founding principles and spirit of an open source platform, then I'll be happy. It's not like they're doing that now...Oh...wait...
Bloop Bloop!

kinggroin

Banned
so do you guys honestly believe that silver is heralding the end open Android as we know it? Or at least the nexus line as we know it?

Edit: Google voice typing. Ugh

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google Now Launcher and Play Services ended what has been known as "Android" a while ago. Stock Android has been dead for a long time. Google's Android is quite clearly Google's (correct) skin, and Silver will probably play into that.

kinggroin

Banned
Google Now Launcher and Play Services ended what has been known as "Android" a while ago. Stock Android has been dead for a long time. Google's Android is quite clearly Google's (correct) skin, and Silver will probably play into that.

Guess it's time people start to know Android as something else.

Groof

If this is the case then even Google phones should be branded with "powered by Android" at boot. No exceptions.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remember open always wins? LOL. All those Android fanboys sure changed their tune once Google started locking down their apps. Now it's all about removing bloatware and uncrapping up the pure Android experience. Whatever.

kehs

Banned
tumblr_inline_n4hu1xL8Lm1s3m1mf.gif

Haters gonna hate.

Dear Brin, I wrote you but you still ain't hanging out
I left my Voice, my G+, and my email at the bottom
I sent two video messages back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em
There probably was a problem with the dns or something
Sometimes I typo IP addresses when I speedtype 'em
but anyways; fuck it, what's been up? Man how's your Google Glass?
My invite never came, but now it's public I can buy em
When I have glass, guess what Imma call it?
I'ma name her Googie
I read about Hugo Barra too, I'm sorry
I had a friend leave to over some bitch who didn't want him
I know you probably hear this everyday, but I'm your biggest fan
I even got the wave shit that you went all HAM
I got a room full of your posters and your pictures man
I like the shit you did with Moto too, that shit was fat
Anyways, I hope you get this man, hit me back,
just to chat, truly yours, your biggest fan
This is Andrex

Dear Brin, you still ain't voice back or wrote, I hope you have a chance
I ain't mad - I just think it's FUCKED UP you don't answer fans
If you didn't wanna talk to me in a hangout
you didn't have to, but you coulda signout so I didnt see ya status

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AndroidGAF discovers years-old meme that has since run its course, news at 11.

SimleuqiR

Remember open always wins? LOL. All those Android fanboys sure changed their tune once Google started locking down their apps. Now it's all about removing bloatware and uncrapping up the pure Android experience. Whatever.

OEM and/or carrier bloatware has always been looked down upon. When has anyone said otherwise? When has anyone said bloatware is good and should be allowed because Android is open?

Google Apps have always been closed. They have never been "open". What some have complained about is the shift from developing AOSP apps to just developing apps for their own services (Calendar, Keyboard, Now Launcher, etc). Why keep updating the calendar app on the AOSP when most (if not all) OEMs ship their own crappy calendar app with the phones? Why keep updating the AOSP keyboard when OEMs were making deals with the likes of Swype and Swiftkey to ship with their phones? Same goes with the Camera app.

Most people that install a ROM in their phones still install the GAPPs. To me personally, what makes Android great is it's tight integration with Google services.

Even the people buying Samsung phones don't use the apps develop by sammy: http://www.androidcentral.com/study-shows-samsung-users-spend-little-time-bloatware-apps.

Could Amazon have used iOS or Windows Mobile to create their own ecosystem? No, because those OSs are not "open".

Nicktendo86

Wall of Shame!

wosaot.jpg
How the help am I on, barely posted on android GAF for aaaages!

Edit: shiy, been out the loop as I've been manic at work and only just heard about android silver. Am I the only one that thinks it sounds fucking great? Basically a nexus but a premium handset with a few to choose from? Take my fucking money.

Hmmm, if the Nexus phones go away, I hope Google still offers a high-end specs phone for cheap like the Nexus 5. I also hope they join the 3000 mAh or higher battery party.

loving the new thread title

barely post in android ot anymore, but the hangout is far superior. though i'm not sure who anyone is in there.

oh yeah thoughts on silver:

hopefully they finally do the jesusphone i always talk about.

first silver phone will look like this (if done this year)

Android 4.5 Lemon Loaf
Made by LG or Motorola
can't decide if this phone will be an all metal body, though it will have a unique speaker placement
Snapdragon 805 w/ adreno 420
3GB RAM
64GB ROM
No SD slot
Sony Exmor 20mp camera with OIS
4k video recording & slowmo recording (at either 1080 or 720)
5mp front cam w/ 1080p video max (defaulted at 720)
3000 mah battery
QHD screen 5-5.4 inches
Fingerprint reader
infrared sensor
headphone jack on bottom :)
quick charge 2.0 through ac
wireless charging of course
USB 3.1 (ok they will push this to next year or probably 2016, mobiles and pc's are going this way soon, universal micro size connector on both ends)

all this along side their cheaper mediatek version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom