• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, is it even wise to put custom FW on these? I can't see anything that I can't do right now.

It can be depending on what you want. Usually they remove alot of the bloatware and you can also get more update software usually then what is offered in the US atleast. Also better battery life with custom kernels.

By the way, what is wrong with Google? Is it too much to ask for a 1080P option in the Youtube app on 4.4.4? It works in 4.4.2, but not in 4.4.4.

It can be depending on what you want. Usually they remove alot of the bloatware and you can also get more update software usually then what is offered in the US atleast. Also better battery life with custom kernels.

By the way, what is wrong with Google? Is it too much to ask for a 1080P option in the Youtube app on 4.4.4? It works in 4.4.2, but not in 4.4.4.

Yeah it's dumb as hell. I think there is a way to get it back if you're rooted, but it should just be there in the first place.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

This took me forever to figure out on my note. Why can't they just use the normal power + volume down combo.

Isn't there just a way to map it somewhere on the touch screen? On the Nexus 10, it's right on the bottom of the touch pad next to the home and back buttons.

SimleuqiR

got a lg g3 finally.

Man this is so much better than my galaxy nexus.

Can't wait till somebody gets the bootloader ready.

Galaxy Nexus? You are a trooper, how ever did you manage.
I've own two Nexus phones and a Nexus Tablet since I sold my Galaxy Nexus (I hate that name..fucking Samsung and their arrogance).

linkboy

Galaxy Nexus? You are a trooper, how ever did you manage.
I've own two Nexus phones and a Nexus Tablet since I sold my Galaxy Nexus (I hate that name..fucking Samsung and their arrogance).

Same here. I've got a Nexus 4 (which I'm trying to give to my wife to get her off of Verizon), a Nexus 5 (which I hopefully just got my cell signal issue figured out) and a Nexus 7 (had a Tab 3 7", what a piece of shit that was).

kehs

Banned
Power + home is not power + volume down. There is no "home" button on my nexus 7,at least not a physical one.

What he's saying is that Samsung had a standard key combo for the feature before google could even figure out how to screenshot.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So what's the general opinion of the LG G3 here? I've read countless reviews talking about the great screen, functionality, ok but not great battery etc. etc., but I'm just wondering how people who use it here feels about it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is it confirmed that the Moto Shamu = Nexus 6?

Some dodgy sites are reporting it will cost $800 at launch :/

No it won't be $800, and don't listen to prelaunch conjecture if it isn't from a major news site like the NYT or Bloomberg or a major Tech site like Android Police or Anandtech.
Treat everything as a rumor until officially said, and you'll learn which sites are A list to trust and which aren't.

Keyouta

I have my Gnex set to Japanese right now, and thought that you could use whatever language you want in Android since my phone can do so, it's the only Android phone I've ever had. I played around a bit with my friend's S5 and there's only like 6 language options. I'm planning to get a Note 4 when it releases, so is there any way to get more system languages in a phone that isn't a Nexus?

Hasney

I have my Gnex set to Japanese right now, and thought that you could use whatever language you want in Android since my phone can do so, it's the only Android phone I've ever had. I played around a bit with my friend's S5 and there's only like 6 language options. I'm planning to get a Note 4 when it releases, so is there any way to get more system languages in a phone that isn't a Nexus?

Might have to custom ROM it if Samsung itself don't add it. There used to be user made locale packs, but I've not seem them for a while.

Just upgraded from the HTC One M7 to the M8 and set up the latest ARHD and I'm in heaven. Having to update the firmware manually I thought I was gonna mess something up but it was simple enough.

Pachimari

So what's the general opinion of the LG G3 here? I've read countless reviews talking about the great screen, functionality, ok but not great battery etc. etc., but I'm just wondering how people who use it here feels about it.

It's fantastic. But the backlighting is not good for outdoor use, and the screen sucks the battery out of it. I can't go a full day without charging it.

this_guy

The LG G2 last year blew away every other phone in battery life, and this year's G3 is not as good as the G2 (Where as the HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5 are about in range with last year's G2). Having said that, I have no issues making it through a day with my G3, and battery life is still better than the Nexus 5 when I used that.

So I have a major issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have an HTC One M7 and today my battery drained from 100% to about 35% in approximately 5 hours. I checked to see what was draining it with gsam battery monitor and it just said the Kernal was using a ton of my battery. Thinking I had something weird going on I decided to just wipe it and start again.

My phone is rooted so I had to do it all through recovery and just reflash my ROM. However now my battery won't charge at all. The phone says it's charging and the red light is on but the percentage hasn't moved in two hours. This is both with the phone turned on and off. Checking around the web is tough as most people are having issues with the phone not even saying it's charging. Mine does but no movement.

Any ideas guys?

It's fantastic. But the backlighting is not good for outdoor use, and the screen sucks the battery out of it. I can't go a full day without charging it.

Really? I can go easily a full day without needing to charge it. My typical work day I go home either with around 80-60% depending on how heavy I use it. That's around a 10 hour day (adding in commute time).

Fox318

Yeah I'm loving it too.

If I were to root it, is stock android even available in QHD resolutions yet?
I'm on Verizon and right now nobody has unlocked the bootloader.

I also tried ringing art and it's still buggy on the Verizon version.

All I want now is too be able to tether and I'd be set.

Almost bought the quick view case but I use my phone as a GPS so I was worried that the cover would get ruined.

Rayis

Does anybody know of a good app to move apps to an SD card instead of the internal memory? Preferably one that can also allow me to install apps to the SD card directly if possible, I already rooted my phone and all and the 2 apps I've tried so far haven't really worked.

Antiwhippy

Alright, thanks for the impressions of the G3 guys. I guess the battery life might be a concern, but I carry around a portable charger with me already anyway. Plus I barely game or watch videos on the go so I might be good?

Volotaire

Alright, thanks for the impressions of the G3 guys. I guess the battery life might be a concern, but I carry around a portable charger with me already anyway. Plus I barely game or watch videos on the go so I might be good?

The removable battery should also help you a lot.

So I have a major issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have an HTC One M7 and today my battery drained from 100% to about 35% in approximately 5 hours. I checked to see what was draining it with gsam battery monitor and it just said the Kernal was using a ton of my battery. Thinking I had something weird going on I decided to just wipe it and start again.

My phone is rooted so I had to do it all through recovery and just reflash my ROM. However now my battery won't charge at all. The phone says it's charging and the red light is on but the percentage hasn't moved in two hours. This is both with the phone turned on and off. Checking around the web is tough as most people are having issues with the phone not even saying it's charging. Mine does but no movement.

Any ideas guys?
In your power history, does it say it's constantly awake? Do you have something that tells you about what's causing partial wake locks?

It really isn't bad as people are saying. I'm not sure why people are getting bad battery life. Mine so far is just a notch below my G2 which with the better resolution, more powerful hardware, and bigger screen is already impressive.

Or it could be cause I'm on T-mobile.

In your power history, does it say it's constantly awake? Do you have something that tells you about what's causing partial wake locks?

Yeah I've always had a wakelock issue or two. Learned to live with it tbh. I finally got it to charge, not sure how, but its charging really slowly. At 64% now and it says it a gonna take 3 hours until full.

Antiwhippy

Jesus the g3 is huge.

Happy with it so far though, even if it's just because the screen is beautiful. Need a few more weeks of using to really judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom