• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to try out the Droid Turbo today. It's basically a Moto X with a different name which is fine. I definitely like the Ballistic Nylon back a lot and it looks very nice in person. It's no faster than the Moto X but I thought the screen looked a tad bit sharper. The only problem is not a lot of apps are optimized for a 1440p display as of right now. Hopefully with the Nexus 6 and Note 4, devs create apps which takes advantage of it. I did not use the camera except to see the shutter speed. It's slow but I hope it takes great photos.

Now I'm stuck between the Nexus 6 and the Turbo. We shall see what happens.

I wish I had a Verizon store near me to try it out. The closest thing I have is a Viva Movil....

XBP

Got to try out the Droid Turbo today. It's basically a Moto X with a different name which is fine. I definitely like the Ballistic Nylon back a lot and it looks very nice in person. It's no faster than the Moto X but I thought the screen looked a tad bit sharper. The only problem is not a lot of apps are optimized for a 1440p display as of right now. Hopefully with the Nexus 6 and Note 4, devs create apps which takes advantage of it. I did not use the camera except to see the shutter speed. It's slow but I hope it takes great photos.

Now I'm stuck between the Nexus 6 and the Turbo. We shall see what happens.

There isn't much difference between the device's processors so the performance on both would be the same. The only thing the turbo does a lot better than the X is battery and camera(?).

Toki767

Makes sense since Android's going to be led by the other guy leading everything else at Google I guess.

I can't believe how slow virtually all the app developers on Android are to move over to Material Design. They made their crap iOS 7 friendly the first day.

jesalr

Makes sense since Android's going to be led by the other guy leading everything else at Google I guess.

I can't believe how slow virtually all the app developers on Android are to move over to Material Design. They made their crap iOS 7 friendly the first day.

Keep in mind, the only device capable of running Lollipop is the N5. Outside of that, they can't really test it. That and the latest SDK has only been out for 2 weeks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Luckily I've had a lot of the apps I use mover onto MD methodology with their latest updates.

They'll come around. For now, I'm really looking forward to the perfoemance gains and new car feel of 5.0.

Toki767

Keep in mind, the only device capable of running Lollipop is the N5. Outside of that, they can't really test it. That and the latest SDK has only been out for 2 weeks.

Push Bullet managed to update their app pretty quick. And it runs Material Design fine on KitKat. It even does the colored status bar.

Can the Nexus tablets do multiple windows like Galaxy devices? I've started doing YouTube/gaf multitasking on my phone and I can't get enough of it. Would be amazing on a tablet.

Can the Nexus tablets do multiple windows like Galaxy devices? I've started doing YouTube/gaf multitasking on my phone and I can't get enough of it. Would be amazing on a tablet.
No they can't. If it's something you really want/need on a tablet, get a Galaxy. That said, Google is working on multi window for Android proper, but if/when it comes out is anyone's guess.

Edit: If Google does add multi window to Android, I expect it would come in a 5.x update. Probably still lollipop.

30% of iPhones were probably on iOS 7 day 1 of it's release, based on previous Apple OS upgrade rollouts.

30% of Android devices will be on Lollipop...in a year?

Hey.
Hey guys.
The Note 4?
It's pretty cool.

The build is EXCELLENT, with the aluminum sides and the textured back.
It fits well in the hand and is easier to hold than the iPhone 6+ my friend had. Not as shiny, though.
The screen looks fantastic at any angle and the responsiveness is great. It's such an improvement from the Galaxy S3/Lumia 520/iPhone 4S I had.
Performance is... strange. The device will run really nicely until you open the Recent Apps or Gallery app, where it'll slow down. Rather strange, honestly.
Gaming feels much better than on my other devices, but inconsistent at times. Gangstar Rio runs terribly while Amazing Spider-Man is smooth.
The S-Pen feels the same as on my Note 8.0, the speaker is rubbish and is placed weird, and there's a lot of bloatware, but whatever.
So far, it's my favorite phone ever. I love the screen, the way it feels, and how nice it runs.
OH, and the battery life. It's pretty fantastic.

Sid

So when do you guys think that apps will be optimised to take advantage of the 1440p display and the Snaprdragon 805 chip? my Note 4 lags terribly when playing GTA:San Andreas on the highest settings.

Nexus 6 night shots:https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/+MatiasDuarte/album/6076232306785339409?cbp=23j4esspj8gy&sview=1&cid=5&soc-app=115&soc-platform=1&spath=%2Fapp%2Fbasic%2Fstream%2Fz13ed1ghspy0jzolq22odxohunvthfxb404
2014-10-30%2B20.35.19.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Android Authority

Let’s lay out those deals again for you – you can get the Motorola Moto X (2014) on a two year contract as follows:

AT&T leather backed version for $0 at Amazon

AT&T leather backed version for $19.99 at Best Buy

AT&T black resin version for $1 at Amazon or Best Buy

Verizon black resin version for $1 at Amazon or Best Buy

AT&T Bamboo version for $19.99 at Best Buy

Verizon Bamboo version for $29.99 at Best Buy

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What I wonder is will the One +2 be able to be as affordable. The 801 chipset was essentially an over clocked 800 with battery improvements which was already old hat.

The 810 hasn't even launched yet, and honestly probably will co launch with the GS6 and One M9 as they usually launch in the same spring time frame. Can the One +2 get that chip set as well without pushing the phone cost up?

This IMO will be the big challenge.

pronk420

has anyone tried the new gmail with multiple non-gmail accounts support? I'm wondering if it is an improvement over the standard android email app?

Does it support syncing specified folders, setting folder specific notifications? Is the search still terrible?

Groof

Hope this hasn't been posted yet. Video showing video and camera capabilities of the N6 against the iPhone Plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bpqgitEyA

They seem about on par. the 6+ has the better dynamic range, but everything looked like someone had put a filter over everything. Way too warm and unnatural colours. The N6 looked more truer to life in its colour reproduction, but dynamic range lacked in high contrast areas. However they seemed a bit brighter which brought out details better.

Then again, it's too hard to compare from a YouTube video.

Groof

I was gonna say that 1440p display phones have had lower overall brightness than other phones but that's just crazy. Not even close.

3phemeral

Hope this hasn't been posted yet. Video showing video and camera capabilities of the N6 against the iPhone Plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9bpqgitEyA

Like everyone has said, those iPhone 6 Plus shots look like they have some sort of warm filter applied. So gloomy. I loved how the cameraman backed off quick when the bee started flying towards the camera.

OIS seemed better on the iPhone 6+ though I'm wondering what the comparison would have been like had they dropped the resolution and fps on the Nexus 6 to match the iPhone6+. On one hand, I felt it would have been a fair comparison but on the other, if it's something the phone provides an options for, it should do it well regardless.

iPhone6+ was better in those high-contrast areas with heavy light and shadow but at the same time, they looked washed out. Color reproduction on the N6 looked natural but suffered when balancing in those same high-contrast situations.

Hands down during the still photography, N6 beat out the Iphone6+. I'm wondering how the low-light shots will fare.

What I wonder is will the One +2 be able to be as affordable. The 801 chipset was essentially an over clocked 800 with battery improvements which was already old hat.

The 810 hasn't even launched yet, and honestly probably will co launch with the GS6 and One M9 as they usually launch in the same spring time frame. Can the One +2 get that chip set as well without pushing the phone cost up?

This IMO will be the big challenge.

I don't see why they wouldn't. The snapdragon 801 was pretty much just as new when the One Plus One came out. They also have a plan to make no money the first 2 years and just get their name out.

Groof

Assuming those were taken in complete darkness, with the only direct light being the lights inside the pumpkins I'd say those are pretty good. Very grainy and noisy, but that's to be expected from night shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom