• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superhot Kickstarter by Superhot Team Goal: $100.000

Musiol

Do you remember Superhot game? Studio behind it launched Kickstarter.
A unique first-person shooter game where time moves only when you move, making each level a deadly puzzle. PC/Mac/Linux.

It all began in August 2013 during the 7 Day First Person Shooter game challenge, where we decided to make something that really stood out in the genre. Our concept was a title that felt dynamic and satisfying, while not requiring superhuman reflexes. Something like a game of real-time chess, except that all the pawns are out there to murder you. We released a public demo...

... and then - the Internet went crazy. We have been featured on Kotaku, The Verge, Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and WIRED among many others. SUPERHOT made it to the front page of Reddit (twice) and went through Steam Greenlight during a single weekend. Thanks to the amazingly positive responses we've decided that we want to develop SUPERHOT into a full blown game!

SUPERHOT is a unique, stylized FPS game where the time moves only when you move. With this simple mechanic we've been able to create gameplay that's not all about reflexes - the player's main weapon is careful aiming and smart planning - while not compromising on the dynamic feeling of the game.

You're not hiding behind cover - you're dodging bullets flying past you like in The Matrix. You're not waiting to reload a gun - you're picking the next firearm from the hands of your fallen foes. You're not waiting until your wounds heal - in SUPERHOT a single bullet means death. However, there are no reload screens - you're instantly back in the middle of the action.

SUPERHOT wouldn't have made it this far if not for the support of gamers, the press, and fellow developers. Since the original prototype we've basically rewritten the game from the ground-up to make it more expandable, dynamic and resulting in a much smoother experience.

During these eight months we've fixed a lot of the problems with the original version of the game, heavily reiterated on the art style, and experimented with fun scenarios for the players to "solve" - shootout in a subway train, showdown on the top of a skyscraper in rain, jumping into a moving elevator, and more.

We've still got a lot of work (new mechanics, more levels, better animation, rigorous testing and optimization) ahead of us, but the core of SUPERHOT is in place and it's unlike anything you've seen before.

Turning to Kickstarter ensures that we have access to a constant stream of feedback and ideas, while maintaining control over the development. We have the skills and experience needed to complete the game and we've been working on SUPERHOT non-stop for the past eight months, but we need your help to make it even better!

The initial goal of $100k will allow us to cover the costs of living for the team, purchase required hardware, software licences and assets that will allow us to finish the game faster, and to hire additional help - graphic artists, animators, level designers and sound technicians - that will assist us in making SUPERHOT a complete game. All funds over $100k will go directly into making the game better and covering the costs of promoting the game on various gaming events around the world.

More here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/375798653/superhot

You can check original version here: http://superhotgame.com/ (it's Unity, not flash, lol)

UP, added gifs.

cc8563b61b55615c5d7bea217b30d69b_large.gif

2789ed9ca8fe68a4ebb3c52a11880254_large.gif

da2480a28d0f266bd4cd46c0d46a2137_large.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This game was so good. It would be a shame for them to not make their goal. You should add the link of the free version to the OP for people to check it out.

Too much for a Flash game

Its not a flash game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wasn't this already on Greenlight or did it miss? 100k sounds like a lot for a game I thought was coming regardless of KS. I don't want to jump to conclusions but I hope this isn't cash grab.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wasn't this already on Greenlight or did it miss? 100k sounds like a lot for a game I thought was coming regardless of KS. I don't want to jump to conclusions but I hope this isn't cash grab.

They are on greenlight I believe but what does it matter? They need more money to make the game as good as they can possibly make it to be without the meddling of a publisher.

Corpekata

Banned

Loads of games get greenlit before release is even on the horizon, but yes it was Greenlit.

LiquidMetal14

They are on greenlight I believe but what does it matter? They need more money to make the game as good as they can possibly make it to be without the meddling of a publisher.

Funding KS projects always raises an eyebrow with me. Sometimes it seems like devs put it up here to get some money because they can. KS isn't automatic so I'm just keeping this on my radar.

Loads of games get greenlit before release is even on the horizon, but yes it was Greenlit.

Greenlit before the KS? That raises an eyebrow, sorry. Why put the carriage before the horse?

Toma

Funding KS projects always raises an eyebrow with me. Sometimes it seems like devs put it up here to get some money. because they can. KS isn't automatic so I' just keeping this on my radar.

Just personal opinion of course, but the devs really showed their dedication to the game in the past few months with their improvements and work on the new version. They also posted here on GAF in the dedicated threads. I am inclined to believe their intentions.

jeffers

beta access in 6-12 months (first point theyll get revenue for their work). but: knock off kickstarters cut, 7 members on the team, promoting game at events. $100k doesnt go that far.

LiquidMetal14

Just personal opinion of course, but the devs really showed their dedication to the game in the past few months with their improvements and work on the new version. They also posted here on GAF in the dedicated threads. I am inclined to believe their intentions.

For he record, I think the game looks very compelling but these questions just come up given they already were Greenlt as it turns out.

beta access 6-12 months, knock off kickstarters cut, 7 members on the team, promoting game at events. $100k doesnt go that far.

Understandable.

Corpekata

Banned
Funding KS projects always raises an eyebrow with me. Sometimes it seems like devs put it up here to get some money because they can. KS isn't automatic so I'm just keeping this on my radar.

Greenlit before the KS? That raises an eyebrow, sorry. Why put the carriage before the horse?

Because it allows you to promise Steam versions when you do the actual kickstarter? There's loads of reason to want to be greenlit on the most popular store on the platform before Kickstarter. It's a nice big checkmark to knock off for the 1000 "But is it on STEAM?" questions every indie dev gets when talking about their games. Why wouldn't they?

Supahot Kickstarter... I back that.

But seriously, that demo last year was rad. I'm stoked that they're expanding upon that concept. Though I'll probably end up just buying it when it's released. Beta access is a bit pricey.

People need to stop making every Kickstarter game a conversation about Kickstarter. Here's a super original premise for a game that's a) proven to work, b) has a reasonable funding goal and c) is clearly not going to get funding from a publisher. It's hardly Amplitude.

Because Greenlight is a way more obnoxious process to deal with? If you set a goal for release and then get stuck in a Greenlight queue because you only bothered putting your game on Greenlight after the KS ended, that's obviously going to piss off people. Better deal with it as soon as possible, so you can be ready to go as soon as possible.

Xater

I loved the prototype and I like their ideas for the full game. I totally want to see this happen so I backed it at the basic level.

Toma

da2480a28d0f266bd4cd46c0d46a2137_large.gif

It's not a flash game, it's an Unity game. Why are people bringing up flash?

The perception of every game playable in the browser being a flash game.

Haunted

If you read the pitch, it's exactly that overwhelming support they've been seeing for the prototype that led them to want to expand this prototype to a full-blown game now.

Or to put it another way: the SUPERHOT game that was presented on Greenlight would not be of the same quality, length or production as the SUPERHOT game that they would be able to make with the Kickstarter money. It's a fairly straightforward proposition and thought process.

Gangxxter

This game was actually my introduction to the Oculus Rift at the AMAZE Awards in Berlin this year.
To be honest, I don't like it. Especially as a Rift game it doesn't work because you're so overwhelmed by the technology and you want to look and move around which kills you instantly.
As a traditional game it's a bit more fun but meh... not that much IMHO.

Toma

This game was actually my introduction to the Oculus Rift at the AMAZE Awards in Berlin this year.
To be honest, I don't like it. Especially as a Rift game it doesn't work because you're so overwhelmed by the technology and you want to look and move around which kills you instantly.
As a traditional game it's a bit more fun but meh... not that much IMHO.

Really funny that posts that contain IMO or IMHO almost always contain an "opinion" that I wouldnt agree with. I really wonder why. I gotta admit that your Rift point is interesting though, would have figured it would suit quite nicely. Then again, I dont agree with your second sentiment either, so maybe your first is a bit off the mark as well.

Toma

Wouldnt be surprised if we hit the goal within the first week of the KS. The KS pledges increased by 3000 since this thread started.

Toma

It'll get a lot or press as well, this'll sail past it's goal in no time flat.

Yeah, wondering whether they have any plans/ideas for stretch goals.

daydream

Banned
They deserve five times the amount for what is one of the most original and creative game concepts in recent years.

First post is one of the worst in recent years. Go figure.

Toma

They deserve five times the amount for what is one of the most original and creative game concepts in recent years.

First post is one of the worst in recent years, as well.

The second one was totally fine though.

Top Bottom