• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

UrbanRats

"Goblins!"

I never beat it. Got to last boss but I was melee... Turns out magic is heaps better.

Nah.
I tried pretty extensively most of the classes, and Sorcerer was the one that gave me more headaches.
Especially if you don't have anyone else to aggro. Ugh.

Tilian

Banned
The demo is okay. In the actual game you can choose how many pawns you want in your party (1-3), their classes and even their play styles. Play styles as in, hold back, charge forward, protect you, protect other pawns etc You can also control how much they talk :)

This game relies on teamwork. This is no Souls. the strength of your party is fundamental to your success. You need a varied party, one that can tackle all enemies. Personally I rolled with:

I chose Warrior to handle all the close combat encounters, tanking and staggering.
Mage: Main pawn, fundamental for healing
Sorcerer: Massive damage and crazy AoE spells. Necessary to fight enemies with high physical resist.
Ranger: High physical damage and long range so we can sit back while picks away lol

One of my favourite aspects of Dragons Dogma is the pawns. You may think they are a hassle know, but when saving tougher enemies they will save your life so many times.

You can play the game solo(simply kill and or not hire pawns)
There are even benefits for doing so

Don't compare Dragon's Dogma to the Souls games, those are completely different beasts :)

Also, personally I found the demo very underwhelming and not at all indicative of the game's actual feel. IIRC it gives you little control over your party, and doesn't explain SHIT. It ended up delaying my purchase of the game, because I finished it and was like "meh, what a mess".
In the full game, when you start your pawn and character from scratch, get a handle on the game's mechanics and develop your own style of play, fights are very different and if they're messy, you only have yourself to blame for organizing your party badly. Also the feel of adventure and attachment to your characters, which I found surprisingly strong in this game, is nonexistent in the demo for obvious reasons.

And you can play the game solo, with your pawn only, or with one or two pawns hired. The game gets harder with a smaller party, obviously, but you get XP boosts for doing it.

Thanks all, this clears things up in a variety of ways. Going to take the plunge then, cheers. I hear nighttime is scary, which has me very intrigued.

Blinck

I really have mixed feelings about this game..

On one hand I love the concept and the overall mechanics of the game. It's just really fun.

On the other hand this is one of those games that really shows you how old the 360 and PS3 are. It's a technical mess all around. Awful IQ, awful framerate, awful textures, etc.
It's really, really begging for a PC port.
I honestly just couldn't play it anymore on PS3 after around 7 hours or so. I just couldn't handle how poorly it looked at times, and how poorly it performed all the time.

I also felt, from the small amount of time that I played so I could be wrong, that the overall lore and world of the game were completely bland and just throw away. After Dark Souls this is something that really makes me cringe =\

If there was a PC port I would jump on it right away.

Yeah until the last couple hours of the main quest the story really is forgettable. The only bright spots are a couple of mildly interesting characters. Although the story does pick up at the end and the expansion story content is better, don't buy this game looking for deep lore and dramatic cut scenes.

Buy it for the awesome combat and party building.

EGM1966

I liked it a lot but wish it was either on PC or current gen consoles - still I'd rather have played it on last gen than nowhere at all.

Nemmy

Yeah until the last couple hours of the main quest the story really is forgettable. The only bright spots are a couple of mildly interesting characters. Although the story does pick up at the end and the expansion story content is better, don't buy this game looking for deep lore and dramatic cut scenes.

This is a damn shame, as obviously some thought at least went into those characters and the sub-stories behind the sidequests. I only recently came across this character section on the official website, and I'm honestly baffled by how little of this information ended up actually included in the game. Some of this stuff is suggested or briefly mentioned, but with proper presentation, build up and development, those very same characters could make an actually memorable cast and help tell a story people would actually care about.

I remember listening to Mercedes and Julien
arguing about their ideals during their duel
and wondering what the hell was this even all about, apart from
Julien's Salvation activity
that also was not explained or explored in the story at all.
This coming from a person who was really trying to pay attention to the storyline and the character's motivations.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I agree with some of your points, but i don't think they should go on a competition with Souls games.
I think they should focus on what they do best, which is giving their bestiary depth and variety.
Oh, I agree they shouldn't try to become the Souls games, I was only saying that if DD fixed its glaring issues and enhanced its strengths even more, it could easily be as good as the Souls games. By "compete" I don't mean they should try to imitate those games, but more like they could reach their level of quality. Hope that makes sense, I'm not very good at explaining my point right now. ^^

gioGAF

This game was AMAZING! I really hope we get a proper PS4 sequel. I would also buy a PS4 port of DD: Dark Arisen. One of my top games of the PS3 era.

"Wolves hunt in packs!"
"This looks interesting."
"Careful, a goblin!"
"The tail is severed!"
"Even in numbers, a weakling is a weakling still!"

It's sad the plot doesn't get much praise because its refreshingly different compared to the usual revenge type plots or save the love interest plots.

That's pretty damn badass that a Dragon steals your heart and gives you the option to reclaim it, and in the process making you immortal. DA is even better in that it questions the logic of the choice factor when it comes to arisens and dragons. DD2 really needs to flesh out the premise they have set on the table, some damn good stuff, just needs to be told better.

I understand its all about freedom and combat, but just give this a good storytelling too and this is GOTY material.

Jabba

Banned
Gotta chime in. This game is fantastic. Love the pawn system. The discovery in this game is second to none. Only other single player games to give the wonderous, holy shit feeling while just out discovering was Morrowind and FF12. All the other games were online mmo or mmmorpgs. I'd take a next gen port and a possible sequel on any gen.

silkysm00th are you sure it's ok to add your psn?

@Morrigan

I get it. Two alternatives, same genre. One just as good as the other, quality wise, for differing reasons. Sounds damn good to me.

Jos33phus

Neo Member
Finally gave Dragon's Dogma a shot. How did this gem ever pass by unnoticed!?

Now fully in support of a Dragon's Dogma 2. Hurry it up Capcom!

kuroshiki

Sadly we probably won't ever see DD2. At this point I would be helluva happy just with remaster edition for PS4.

phierce

Keep seeing this bumped to the first page. It's great to see more are enjoying this awesome game!

I haven't played in quite a while, but if any of you want a pretty well geared, kick ass healer pawn, feel free to add me and use her for free. PSN: phierce_

EGOMON

Welcome to the club :)

omg i accidentally freed the giant spiked cyclops thing and now i'm stuck in this little cave area and hes going wild.
Is that the one form BBI? good thing i chickened out and left the island lol

its made my ps3 freeze twice so far and ive only had it for like 3 hours!!! what the hell is this.
Phat PS3? if so the console is then about to die

Keep seeing this bumped to the first page. It's great to see more are enjoying this awesome game!

I haven't played in quite a while, but if any of you want a pretty well geared, kick ass healer pawn, feel free to add me and use her for free. PSN: phierce_
Am sending you FR, i need as many support pawns as i can have

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Like OP I have had this in my IGC since it was give to us but was reluctant to start it for some reason (I tend to stick to one game at a time till I need a break). I wondered what this was like compared to the original (I haven't played that) given everyone's feedback and this actually sounds good.

I do have one question though in regards to the enemy respawns, is it as bad as Skies of Arcadia? I gave up on that game due to the frustration of random battles.

Like OP I have had this in my IGC since it was give to us but was reluctant to start it for some reason (I tend to stick to one game at a time till I need a break). I wondered what this was like compared to the original (I haven't played that) given everyone's feedback and this actually sounds good.

I do have one question though in regards to the enemy respawns, is it as bad as Skies of Arcadia? I gave up on that game due to the frustration of random battles.
You can run past enemies if you don't want to fight them.

Dingotech

I played the game for the first time at the weekend. It certainly seems like it should be a pretty fun title.

I feel really stupid for asking but what do the quest markers on the map look like?

I picked up the first few quests in town and I've got no idea where to head... XD

EGOMON

Enemy respawn isn't that bad i mean if you clear an area on your way up then finished your business when you comeback same route it will be clear but if you comeback 2 days later (in-game days) they will respawn but you can ignore them

I played the game for the first time at the weekend. It certainly seems like it should be a pretty fun title.

I feel really stupid for asking but what do the quest markers on the map look like?

I picked up the first few quests in town and I've got no idea where to head... XD

Quest marker is Red Circle but i understand what are you going through you just need to walk around the town and talk to the people with Red marker above their heads they will give you hint to finish up the quest.

If you are in the quest to find the medicine you will need to look outside the town during the day and near shore during the night.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Thanks for the answer to my question guys, especially Darkologia for breaking it down. Love ya work!

Respect

Add another one to the list of LTTP. Heard all the praise and so I tried it about year ago, played for a couple hours and quit, ending up selling it.

Purchased it again last week to try it out again and now I can't put it down and doubt I will be putting it down for the forseable future.

I was simply too stubborn the first time I played and tried to go to areas I couldn't handle and just got frustrated. Didn't do that this time, still was rough the first couple hours, but damn, after a few bosses, it really opened up and just clicked with me. Already put in probably close to 25 hours and I think I'm just scratching the surface really.

Unit24

I just started this game, and it's pretty fun, but my main problem so far is that it feels like my pawns are way, way stronger than me, no matter what I do. I'm level 32, and I have the best equipment I can possibly afford at the moment, yet my mage pawn does about 10x the amount of damage I can deal. It really makes me feel like there's something I'm doing wrong.

Donos

so i got back into DD after more than a year break and played till right before the dragon. Seems that almost all the big sidequests are finished and only the kill XX of XX / collect XX of XX quests are left. Now before i'm going to finish it i went to the DLC area (called BBI everywhere).
I know BBI is supposed to be hard but my lvl 50 arisen + lvl 48 pawns got all one shotted by "death" Reaper ?!

Should i level more for the DLC?

Edit: ok reading up on him, i should just avoid death for now. Let's see how i fare against "normal" enemies.

Top Bottom