• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Review Thread

Vire

This is like when people go "haha, pachter says it'll sell so it must be a bomb" except you're apparently serious.

Or it's like "haha arthur gies has wildly different taste in games than me and I have long since recognized this".

I don't understand what's so crazy about that statement.

It's the same thing as when I see an Armond White review for an upcoming movie, I know whatever he likes - I'm going to hate.

Man, I just want to start the download on my PS4 and then go to bed.

I have it bought, will it download automatically at midnight (am on PST here)? I just know that if I come home from work tomorrow only to find the option to *start* downloading this fucking behemoth I'll be royally bummed.

I have it bought, will it download automatically at midnight (am on PST here)? I just know that if I come home from work tomorrow only to find the option to *start* downloading this fucking behemoth I'll be royally bummed.

It won't. I had to click on the download button on the store.

Levyne

Banned
Alright, seems like all the major ones are in, right? Which means I can go to bed.

See yall tomorrow after work.

Grief.exe

Or it's like "haha arthur gies has wildly different taste in games than me and I have long since recognized this".

Technically, that is what you are supposed to do. Find a reviewer who has similar tastes. Ignore those that are polar opposites to your core beliefs.

I have never been able to figure out good reviewers though. I just go by objective GAF impressions/reviews.

Sounds like an incredibly difficult line to balance. Godzilla comes to mind..

It is a difficult thing to balance, but it's also a very subjective thing to critique. Some people will love the attempt and/or execution, and some people will not. They say they took inspiration from Tarantino, and that balance is a very Tarantino thing. Serious/tense situations, and a story that takes itself seriously, but also a chunk of absurdity thrown in there just because he felt like it.

I haven't seen Godzilla 2014, but from what I'm hearing the issue isn't that it takes itself seriously, it's that the human story is boring. The original Gozdilla was incredibly serious and dark, but it also featured a rampaging guy in a rubber suit. A ton of classic genre entertainment features the same mix.

glad to hear reviews are mostly good. it's good to see Machine Games release a solid game on last-gen and current-gen. hopefully this means Machine Games is given more opportunities as a AAA developer in the future.

Cubed

Glad to see it getting good reviews. I hope it sells really well. I think Machine Games really poured their heart and soul into this game.

I might cave and buy this new.

dreamfall

Jenny, dude. Jenny. :(

Starbreeze foreva.

ibqUbd2ACaeDBj.jpg

Vire

Technically, that is what you are supposed to do. Find a reviewer who has similar tastes. Ignore those that are polar opposites to your core beliefs.

I have never been able to figure out good reviewers though. I just go by objective GAF impressions/reviews.

I find GAF is the most useful barometer, but as far as actual game journalists... I like Kotaku's reviews the most surprisingly.

Gives a simple yay or nay, no score needed. Just tell me if you liked the game or you didn't and why. You don't get recognized on Metacritic this way unfortunately.
It is a difficult thing to balance, but it's also a very subjective thing to critique. Some people will love the attempt and/or execution, and some people will not. They say they took inspiration from Tarantino, and that balance is a very Tarantino thing. Serious/tense situations, and a story that takes itself seriously, but also a chunk of absurdity thrown in there just because he felt like it.

I haven't seen Godzilla 2014, but from what I'm hearing the issue isn't that it takes itself seriously, it's that the human story is boring. The original Gozdilla was incredibly serious and dark, but it also featured a rampaging guy in a rubber suit. A ton of classic genre entertainment features the same mix.
I think I would have enjoyed Godzilla more if it poked a little fun at itself and embraced its cheesiness. That and I was led to believe Cranston was a central character to the story based off the trailers and he isn't. But that's neither here nor there.

Still don't understand that review and never will.

Anyway, I'm downloading! Damn, this game is gargantuan though...

I do kinda, I do not like Uncharted's gameplay. I love everything about the game except actually playing it. I would rate them ~7 because of this but that's just my opinion. I have not played TLOU yet but all of Phil's complaints in his review reminded me of how I felt about Uncharted. I will give it a shot when it comes to PS4 but I'm expecting at some point to just stop and watch my brother play instead so I can enjoy all the story bits.

Trace

Banned
Been hyped by all the trailers, was waiting to see if the reviews matched them. Looks like they did, so I'll be picking this one up on PS4 tomorrow. Here's hoping it's playable on remote-play.

Grief.exe

Glad to see it getting good reviews. I hope it sells really well. I think Machine Games really poured their heart and soul into this game.

I might cave and buy this new.

Just lucky that Bethesda/Zenimax didn't manipulate them into a hostile purchase. See: Human Head, Arkane, iD.

Gotta say, Total Biscuit's reversal of opinion on this game, despite not getting a review code quick enough for comfort, is a good sign I'll want to get this sometime in the future. Hell, this might prompt me to build my first gaming PC.

I'm still not sold on the slow running speed and scripted special movements, but that's to be expected.

glad to hear reviews are mostly good. it's good to see Machine Games release a solid game on last-gen and current-gen. hopefully this means Machine Games is given more opportunities as a AAA developer in the future.

Let's pray for Bethesda not buying them. I don't want another Prey 2 situation.

If you have different tastes to Arthur, you should ignore his reviews, not take it to mean the opposite of what he says is true. You aren't some kind of Gies antiparticle actually incapable of having an aligned opinion. It's also the case that even if you don't totally agree, you might partially agree.

Let's pray for Bethesda not buying them. I don't want another Prey 2 situation.

yeah i agree, but maybe this will lead to a Wolfenstein The New Order sequel or more importantly a new IP that Machine Games can do themselves. it all depends on sales tho, so good reviews are only a partial victory lol.

You aren't some kind of Gies antiparticle actually incapable of having an aligned opinion.
Its unlikely, but just to be sure we should probably put them both in a room together.

For science.

If my calculations are correct, their mutual annihilation will open up a Fez-like warp-gate to Polygon's secret treasure room.

Vire

If you have different tastes to Arthur, you should ignore his reviews, not take it to mean the opposite of what he says is true. You aren't some kind of Gies antiparticle actually incapable of having an aligned opinion. It's also the case that even if you don't totally agree, you might partially agree.

I'm not saying 100% of the time that I will always disagree with Gies. That being said, I've seen more than enough of his reviews to know that we generally disagree on almost everything when it comes to video games.

Similarly, see: Armond White

Jesb

Better than expected. I was expecting 6-7's at it's highest. Will be worth a purchase at half the price.

Vire

Armond White doesn't review movies. He write clickbait performance art.

So yea, maybe they do have something in common.
Haha, what'd I say?

To be real for a second, I don't think instantly discrediting this game just because Gies liked it is a very fair position to the devs who worked hard on this game though. It looks solid from the videos I just watched.

wbEMX

87/100 from German magazine GamePro.

Here the final thoughts from Petra Schmitz, who tested the game.

GamePro said:
I expected a good Wolfenstein game and what I got in the end was an excellent one. The New Order, for the most part, reminds me of adventure flicks like "Indiana Jones". And no, it's not because you have to deal with nazis and occult magic, too. Instead it's hitting the right spots in different aspects: You get diversified, sometimes exotic set pieces, challenging shootouts, fabulous characters, which will be burned into my mind for the years to come and the right amount of humor and drama. Sure, the plot itself isn't really worthy of an Pulitzer Prize, but good enough to put some Hollywood blockbusters to shame. Long story short: I haven't been that surprised from a game for a long time.

According to them, the PS4 version runs the smoothest and the X1 version has some problems concerning the texture quality.

coastel

It's the same thing as when I see an Armond White review for an upcoming movie, I know whatever he likes - I'm going to hate.

Maybe read some of the reviews first get a feel for the game. 1 reviewer who praised the game should not put you of when others are to. People have the same opinions some times maybe polygon can be right once in a while.

DieH@rd

Banned
So, reviews are around expected 8/10 mark, with everyone mentioning how the game is full of nazi killing and not much anything else.

.....Perfect! :D

Megatron

Start it before you leave tomorrow.

yeah i agree, but maybe this will lead to a Wolfenstein The New Order sequel or more importantly a new IP that Machine Games can do themselves. it all depends on sales tho, so good reviews are only a partial victory lol.

I'm more than fine with another Wolfenstein. Its Bethesda's awful management on anything not made by Todd Howard that scares me.

I think this will sell well enough. Next gen console users will drive this game's sales. At the end of the day, those who own only a Next Gen console don't have much to choose from (don't get me wrong as I'm getting this game because it looks right up my alley)

Top Bottom