• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hines: "[Bethesda] will not be talking about its next game for a long time."

ekim

untitledbzjlm.png

Meh :(

Spaghetti

if the memo is real, it smells like they scrapped a version that they don't want leaking in any form.

maybe they're actually going to take the time to get as far away from gamebryo as they can by developing a new engine.

Aruhamel

Banned
Maybe it's taking so long because they're abandoning Gamebryo and making a new engine?

...or probably not. Even with Skyrim they advertised the supposedly new Creation engine, which was just a thinly disguised Gamebryo.

KPJZKC

Unless Bethesda works with a very weird corporate policy/structure, that image seems super fake - "please refer them to Mr. Hines"?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So wtf are they going to talk about then? That's all they got :p

Uh, Bethesda publishes stuff too y'know.

About the memo, why would they not want to reference "Elder Scrolls" when the Elder Scrolls online just came out last month, and has a console release scheduled in a few months as well?

DOWN

Banned
if the memo is real, it smells like they scrapped a version that they don't want leaking in any form.

maybe they're actually going to take the time to get as far away from gamebryo as they can by developing a new engine.

That would make me so happy to hear. Gamebryo looks like the stiff, floaty animated, effects lacking, disjointed, flat old school PC engine principles. It just looks like it's being dragged into pretty so slow. Like mo cap and some particle effects would kill them.

I hope Fallout 4 gets announced no later than VGA/VGX like Skyrim was.

Maybe it's taking so long because they're abandoning Gamebryo and making a new engine? ...or probably not. Even with Skyrim they advertised the supposedly new Creation engine, which was just a thinly disguised Gamebryo.

That would make me so happy to hear. Gamebryo looks like the stiff, floaty animated, effects lacking, disjointed, flat old school PC engine principles. It just looks like it's being dragged into pretty so slow. Like mo cap and some particle effects would kill them.

can't believe people still blame gamebryo for bethesda's extreme incompetence. you're not talking about gamebryo you're talking about bethesda 3d artists and bethesda technology

Harlock

I hope companies are aware that the tolerance for new last gen "remaster" editions are going low pretty fast now.

DOWN

Banned
Uh, Bethesda publishes stuff too y'know.

This thread is regarding Bethesda Game Studios. Sadly, the publisher of the Bethesda name is their parent and frequently capitalizes on the developers reputation earned from Fallout and The Elder Scrolls to boost things like Brink and the public often doesn't catch the difference because of poorly worded news articles. The game developer has consistently struck gold. The other projects from the publisher rather, have not found success to any similar degree.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This thread is regarding Bethesda Game Studios. Sadly, the publisher of the Bethesda name is their parent and frequently capitalizes on the developers reputation earned from Fallout and The Elder Scrolls to boost things like Brink and the public often doesn't catch the difference because of poorly worded news articles. The game developer has consistently struck gold. The other projects from the publisher rather, have not found success to any similar degree.

I was just answering Wanny's question "So wtf are they going to talk about then?" Beth the publisher is going to be present at E3; they'll have other games to talk about.

I don't think there are many people on NeoGAF who think that Bethesda Game Studios is responsible for creating all of the games published under the Bethesda label.

DOWN

Banned
can't believe people still blame gamebryo for bethesda's extreme incompetence. you're not talking about gamebryo you're talking about bethesda 3d artists and bethesda technology

Okay, to make it more clear, I mean Bethesda's Gamebryo based engine work is quite dated in a number of fashions. While it is hard to compare to other open world titles that don't have the same level of branching or object interactivity, it is nonetheless quite lacking in fluidity and numerous effects.

Rflagg

Really?

I thought surely a new Fallout must be far along by now.

I really hope they are just trying to make the announcement more of a surprise, because it would be a disappointment if they are really a long time away form showing/talking about the next Fallout.

GlamFM

Banned
I really hope they are just trying to make the announcement more of a surprise, because it would be a disappointment if they are really a long time away form showing/talking about the next Fallout.

I really think that´s what that is - what else should they have been doing since 2011?

Philippo

Wasn't there a rumor for Fallout 4 cross-gen in 2015?
Maybe they scrapped it and rebuilt it for next-gen only.
Still hoping for a 2015 release.

ZehDon

Gold Member
These fake memorandums need to try harder. They always seem to be written by people who've never seen an private internal memo before... unless Bethesda thinks standard formatting is for chumps, and that signing in black pen is a good idea (blue pen is generally used, to so that the original can be discerned from photocopies).

I'd say take your time, but their games are broken messes no matter how long they stay in the oven. So I really don't know what's holding up just announcing it.

Renekton

After seeing the hype backlash for Watch Dogs and Division, they probably decided to clamp down until close to launch.

Lakitu

st5fu
Pete Hines 'it will be a long time' vs Todd Howard's 'a little while'.

No Fallout 4 at E3, definitely but I can see it getting a reveal at the end of the year with a fall 2015 release and a marketing strategy similar to Skyrim.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Eh, the 'please read' section of the memo seems like something google translate spat out. Fake, IMO.

But I can't believe FO4 has taken this long to even announce given how long it's been since Skyrim DLC production halted, even with transition to next-gen hardware. At this point, I'm almost expecting nothing til the VGA's this year, and a release late 2015 at the earliest.

I can't remember, has Hines pulled something like this before, though? I.e. says there's no upcoming announcement -> next day announcement by Bethesda/Zenimax.

Spaghetti

oh i have no doubt that bethesda are not technically very competent, ps3 skyrim is a perfect example of that

Top Bottom