• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Please make sure to visit the 'Top 5 Books of 2013' thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740485

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

obin_gam

Just started

I didnt like Leviathan Wakes at all. But this one began exceptionally well (in retrospect I would actually suggest skipping Leviathan as it isnt really needed) and I think I will come to love it!

HORRORSHØW

Dune and The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All. Trying to rinse the bad taste of Ready Player One from my mouth. They're good chasers.

Jintor

CORNER.jpg

Much more forceful than Homicide so far, but I guess that's because it's dealing with a large-scale social problem rather than the day-to-day of a homicide detective's life.

919039.jpg

Just pick this up. I loved the entire series. I felt that it was a bit anti-climatic at the end. I was, however, glad that it was not the saddest ending I have suffered through this year.

Necrovex

I have a question about Fables. When was the comic originally suppose to end? I remember a few gaffers saying Vertigo decided to continue the series due to its popularity and it suffers slightly because of it (though I know Tragic says otherwise). The 50/50 challenge is also why I want to know so I can make an accurate mark on my rap sheet.

enemyairship

Neo Member
walkwoods.jpg

and

51DH3VzF9NL.jpg

Waiting for a few books to hit paperback later this year so I'm catching up on my backlog. Added to that, though, I recently got these two books. Summer always makes me want to explore the wilderness.

Mr.Towel

I have a question about Fables. When was the comic originally suppose to end? I remember a few gaffers saying Vertigo decided to continue the series due to its popularity and it suffers slightly because of it (though I know Tragic says otherwise). The 50/50 challenge is also why I want to know so I can make an accurate mark on my rap sheet.

Volume 11, War and Pieces is the volume that contains the ending that Willingham planned for the series, so it wraps up a lot of the series' plot threads. I believe they did announce that issue 150 would be the actual end of the series now, but I haven't read it since that volume so I don't know what it's looking like now.

Finished Joe Hill's NOS4A2 the other day. I've enjoyed all of his books to date, and this was no different. At nearly 700 pages, it's similar to the doorstops his father cranks out, but it definitely doesn't feel like a long book. The pages just flew by, and the various roads the novel took all felt justified. I never felt like Hill was wasting time. It also helps that his prose is so strong and vivid. He's definitely a far more technically accomplished writer than his father ever was. The characters were all well-developed and I felt like I understood and related to all of them on some level. It's really a magnificent book.

Up next:

This will be the first Kealan Patrick Burke book I've read. After reading a couple of longer novels, I thought I'd try something short and (hopefully) punchy.

Cade

Just started

I didnt like Leviathan Wakes at all. But this one began exceptionally well (in retrospect I would actually suggest skipping Leviathan as it isnt really needed) and I think I will come to love it!

I liked LW but I much preferred Caliban's War also. I'm reading the third book, Abaddon's Gate:
12591719.jpg

Kind of an odd start but I'm only 1/6th through or so. Great series, though.

MLCodest

Still working my way through Game of Thrones. I'm loving it though so far, and I've already got the other books all queued up and ready to go. I feel it's going to be a good month for reading.

Karu

Currently reading...

576e6b66dbbee24faaab7e632869c831.jpg

Surprisingly not that impressed, but as with most of his books, it is wise to withhold any judgement til I'm done.

and...

61somHm5trL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

For the rest of the month I plan to read David Simon's Homicide.

Necrovex

Volume 11, War and Pieces is the volume that contains the ending that Willingham planned for the series, so it wraps up a lot of the series' plot threads. I believe they did announce that issue 150 would be the actual end of the series now, but I haven't read it since that volume so I don't know what it's looking like now.

Yeah, it was confirmed issue 150 will be the final issue.

I'll read up to volume 11, and then a nice break from the series until I return to the states in a few years. By then, all of Fables should be done. Thanks for the answer!

So far, I am enjoying Earthsea, but I'm not getting the hype behind it thus far (only 25% into the first book).

ymmv

Banned

Charles Williams is one of my favorite crime authors of the 1950/60ies. Quite a number of his books have been turned into movies.Judging by the many French movies based on his books, I'd gather he's quite popular in France. But then again, the French have always been in love with US film noir. The French genre description even became the official term in English.

Neil Gaiman did a fantastic job of distilling an episode of Doctor who down to 45 pages. You get to learn a little of time lord history, and theres an interesting villain that plays, very cleverly, on the concept of time manipulation

Neil-Gaiman-nothing-o-clock-300.jpg

sabato-tunnel.jpg

Re-reading The Tunnel (1948) by Argentinian writer Ernesto Sábato.

Incredible book. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it, or has never heard of it. It's short and can be read in one or two sittings.

An unforgettable psychological novel of obsessive love, The Tunnel was championed by Albert Camus, Thomas Mann, and Graham Greene upon its publication in 1948 and went on to become an international bestseller. At its center is an artist named Juan Pablo Castel, who recounts from his prison cell his murder of a woman named María Iribarne. Obsessed from the moment he sees her examining one of his paintings, Castel fantasizes for months about how they might meet again. When he happens upon her one day, a relationship develops that convinces him of their mutual love. But Castel's growing paranoia leads him to destroy the one thing he truly cares about.

AlStrong

51kaRD6xWPL.jpg

Just started this... Did a random search on Ringworld (wasn't expecting any sequel considering the time between novels) after re-reading the Anno Dracula books (#1,3,4).

I've only read the Ringworld novels though, but so far it seems safe to jump in. I'll probably re-read them all after this.

On a side note, the book itself is rather bendy. Feels kinda cheap. :[

Finished up words of radiance, I'll have to update my 50 books challenge. It was so good! I've been really impressed with sanderson.

So they wife just passed me the two other Gillian Flynn books (shArp objects and dark places) but I'm not sure if I want those or something else.

Recommend me some epic fantasy/sci fi GAF.

krrrt

I'm past the halfway mark in The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell and reading a few books about Germany in the years just after the second world war and the entire denazification process but don't know the titles off the top of my head.

I started reading this last week:

W2dWZOy.jpg

Heard a lot about it and its pretty good so far. Its a very strange book so far but its interesting.

corn_fest

2uRMIgv.jpg

Just started Book 3, really liking it so far. There have certainly been a lot of sections which, if they weren't written so well, would surely be incredibly boring (multi-chapter long narrative backstories for secondary characters), but it's done a remarkable job of keeping my attention.
This book manages to pull of the most subtle and believable mixing of reality and unreality that I've seen across any media so far. Things get dreamlike and hazy, but never to the point where the plot loses its grounding in reality.

recently finished:

On the Road (Kerouac) - ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The Third Man (Greene) - ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

now reading:

BreakfastAtTiffanys.JPG
200px-Ubik%281stEd%29.jpg

holly golightly the OG manic pixie dream girl?

Finished up words of radiance, I'll have to update my 50 books challenge. It was so good! I've been really impressed with sanderson.

So they wife just passed me the two other Gillian Flynn books (shArp objects and dark places) but I'm not sure if I want those or something else.

Recommend me some epic fantasy/sci fi GAF.

The Chronicle of the Black Company
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series
The Dagger and the Coin series
Pushing Ice
The Commonwealth Saga
The Heechee Saga
Expanse trilogy
Th Foundation Series

theapg

50% through it, I am loving The Sisters Brothers. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar books?

Reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami.

Very strange book, enjoying it, about 70% done, kind of hoping things start to become a little clearer.

Jintor

Is anyone out there in BookGAF following the current Amazon/Publishing Houses kerfuffle? I don't have a clear idea of what's going on

survivor

Banned
Finished some stuff that I started reading last week.
GFFYEa6.jpg
OqxFwMM.jpg

Life on Mars was a pretty cool poems collection. Some sci-fi aspects thrown in, themes of space exploration and so on. I was able to understand and appreciate most of them. Also finished reading Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk which I liked, the way Bravo squad got paraded around, American culture and support towards the war and Billy and the other members attitude toward all of it. Only weak part was the cheerleader subplot, just felt like it was a pointless addition.

oD8yjBJ.jpg

Decided to check out The True Meaning of Smekday after reading the news about the movie adaptation which changed its name to Home. It's a pretty fun children's book, some smart humour, creative story elements and I also liked the comics parts inserted into the novel. Although it was really hard to read through the downtime portions of the story since the writing style isn't that engaging. Still, it should make for a fun movie and I'm wondering how/if the story will be retooled for the movie.

BearPawB

Banned
Goldfinch.jpg

FINALLY FINISHED THIS DAMN BOOK.
It was ok. Moments of brilliance spoiled by general boredom. Well written....but i guess i prefer more "story" in my story....

Also just read/listened to this in the past day and a half:

Dark_Places_cover.jpg

I am in the last 30 minutes and so far it has been a fun read. Not as good as Gone Girl, but seems as though the ending might be better, but it is still too early to say. I just let out and audible "OHH SHIT" though.

Apparently will also be a movie. Seems like it could be a good one.

I will get Sharp Objects next time i have an audible credit.

Any other book "murder" book recommendations? Sometimes I just like a good mystery story, you know?

Reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami.

Very strange book, enjoying it, about 70% done, kind of hoping things start to become a little clearer.

I can't quite enjoy Murakami books. It's so full with ~enigmatic~ unresolved stuffs, and his women characters are always so intentionally mysterious and oversexed.

But I did enjoy the Lieutenant Honda bits in that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom